Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Working part time kicks rear end. If I go too long without a crunch time though, I'll get antsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

For you people that are FI or close to it, what does your asset allocation look like? Are you letting it ride at 90%+ stocks, or increasing your bonds since you've already "won"?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
90% stocks in broad market ETFs, 10% in government bonds (Canadian GICs). I think next year I may move to 20% bonds since this last year has really surpassed expectations.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Inept posted:

For you people that are FI or close to it, what does your asset allocation look like? Are you letting it ride at 90%+ stocks, or increasing your bonds since you've already "won"?

I am staying 80% equity, as that has historically been the best approach (I'm overly summarizing, but you get the point) long term even when retired early. From what I have seen (admittedly calculations done by others), there is a far greater risk of being too safe and not earning a sufficient return to keep up than being too risky and having everything wiped out. Generally speaking, once you hit a critical mass, you should be able to ride out even the worst storms (again, this is all theory, but at least it is theory backtested since something like 1871 - of course, past results are not guarantees of future results).

I am conservative and anxious by nature, so this unnerves me every day, especially in an environment where I feel like the market has been artificially propped up to unreasonable valuations by fiscal and monetary policies. But throughout my life, I have attempted to invest in accordance with the best evidence methodology, rather than my "gut", and it has come out well so far. Tomorrow, I may lose 80% of what I have, what the gently caress do I know, but in some ways, it may actually be easier for me to then at least say I was doing the right thing by the numbers.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 16, 2021

h_top
Mar 2, 2019
We're in the process of relocating to a LCOL area from a VHCOL area and are about to put our house on the market. I'd like some advice on what to do with the proceeds of that sale.

Current financial situation:

Assets:
Taxable accounts: 1.2M
Stock options from previous employer, now public (expiring 2023): 700k
Exercised ISOs from previous employer, now public: 250k
My retirement accounts (mostly 401k): 300k
Wife's retirement accounts: 300k
529s: 300k
Savings: 160k

Liabilities:
Car loan: 6k @ 2% (400/mo)
Mortgage on old Seattle house: 600k @ 4.3% 30yr
Mortgage on new LCOL house: 800k @ 2.8% 30yr

Salaries:
Me: 190k
Wife: 170k

With a combination of stock sales, having two mortgages, and the move (which has upended childcare arrangements) it's a little hard to calculate our normal saving rates going forward. In Seattle, we were maxing tax advantaged accounts, and then contributing an additional 50k/yr across 529s and taxable. We're nearly done with 529 contributions though.

We expect the Seattle house to sell for around 1-1.1M given the state of the market which should leave us 300-400k after everyone gets their cut. My original plan had been to just throw the remainder into taxable accounts. I've recently toyed with a few other options and I'd like an objective other opinion.

Option 1: All in taxable. This feels like the most generic FIRE advice: maximize that leverage now in my good friend VTSAX and then decide if we want to pay off the mortgage once we decide to FIRE.

Option 2: Pay down the LCOL house's mortgage to below the jumbo line, then refinance to a 15 year. Right now it looks like these are at 1.8% which is banana pants. Pros are that it's close to the same monthly payment as the 30yr and halves our time with a mortgage with a comedically low interest rate. Cons are that it's tying up a chunk of change that's excluded from compounding.

Option 3: Pay a percentage down on the mortgage to accelerate timelines a bit. This generally feels suboptimal to Option 1 or 2 since it doesn't yield a lower interest rate nor a higher yield.

Option 4: YOLO buy the Porsche 911 that I've always wanted and spend the rest in Vegas. Pros are that I would get the 911. Cons are that I would be single and that would probably hamper my FIRE plans even more.

I normally have leaned towards option 1, but seeing some of the recent posts on SWRs and having a mortgage, it makes having a paid off house seem way more attractive. And quite honestly, having a paid off house here also reduces our FIRE number to really attainable goal. I would love any additional thoughts!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you should buy a 911, 993s, 997s, and even 996s are all getting more expensive

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I would absolutely not pay off the mortgage early nor get a 15 rather than a 30 year. I think I've posted a lot about it in the home threads if you want to read more reasoning.

Although you may want to slice and dice more in your taxable account. Having 4-5 funds in there makes it easier to tax loss harvest and manage taxes overall. And there's a small tax advantage to investing in international in your taxable account.

Agreed about the 911, I have a yellow one* and I love it.

*hot wheels edition

h_top
Mar 2, 2019

moana posted:

I would absolutely not pay off the mortgage early nor get a 15 rather than a 30 year. I think I've posted a lot about it in the home threads if you want to read more reasoning.

Although you may want to slice and dice more in your taxable account. Having 4-5 funds in there makes it easier to tax loss harvest and manage taxes overall. And there's a small tax advantage to investing in international in your taxable account.

Agreed about the 911, I have a yellow one* and I love it.

*hot wheels edition

Cool. I'll search in the home thread. That one moves too fast for me to keep up with day-to-day.

Ah, I hadn't thought about the tax loss harvesting implications of concentrating so heavily. I was being a little hyperbolic with saying it would all go VTSAX. I generally do a split of 70% VTSAX and 30% VTIAX when investing new money. I do have a couple smaller allocations in VFIAX (65k) and VIGAX (80k) from before I decided to simplify. I'm a little overweight on large cap because of it, so maybe I'll add a small/med cap and sprinkle across?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should buy a 911, 993s, 997s, and even 996s are all getting more expensive

Sounds like this would be an appreciating asset and I'd be losing money by not buying one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

h_top posted:

Sounds like this would be an appreciating asset and I'd be losing money by not buying one.

exactly!!!!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My next door neighbor has a Porsche 996 GT2 with a "Please be patient - Student driver" sticker on the back

I thought it was a joke

Until I saw his teenager pull it out of the garage

h_top
Mar 2, 2019

moana in the home buying thread in 2020 posted:

I'm firmly in camp 30 year mortgage rather than 15yr. Reasons: having low interest debt lowers your inflation risk significantly. Even a super conservative portfolio beats the rates today, and it's over a 30 year horizon. You have a ton more flexibility with payments so you have a smaller emergency fund requirement. You have less concentration risk with your home equity as a significant part of your net worth. Overall your portfolio (including home equity) is long term less risky and has higher returns.

Pretty much every argument for the 15 year is psychological: I won't make the extra payments if I don't have to, I feel better being debt free, I can't stand market risk. Which, sure, fine, but be clear that the rational thing to do in the vast majority of cases is take a 30 year mortgage. Once interest rates diverge significantly, the benefit to a 15 year will become much more valuable. Until then, early payoffs don't make any sense. Stop letting your squishy brain emotions interfere, be a better robot.

(There was also some back and forth around this ^ post as well, but this captures the gist of it)

This makes sense to me. Basically, my takeaway is that getting rid of mortgage debt for FI is a hedge against sequence of returns risk which is a fundamentally different situation than I face today. If I spend money to solve that problem, it's just straight up inefficient and silly. Instead, I should continue on my current path of accumulating money in a fleet of 911s brokerage accounts, take advantage of compounding there, and then worry about sequence of returns risk when it's an actual thing I should consider. Thanks!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

I am a big fan of getting rid of your mortgage early, and even I will admit it is not EV positive. For me, there are a lot more psychological benefits in having it gone than keeping it around, but from a numbers perspective, keeping it (especially at these rates) is clearly the smarter move.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I think living in NJ makes this an easier decision since we're paying stupid high property taxes. It doesn't feel like a such a victory if you pay off your house but still have to make half the payment forever.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I tried to quit today, and my boss came back at me with "you can just work less! Work 2 hours a week! Work outside office hours! Work from home! Take some time off and just think about it!" and ugh, why does he have to be so nice, I feel bad and told him i would think about it over the weekend. Why is quitting always so HARD

I did convince him he needs to hire a replacement and said I would be happy to train them.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I mean, I'd take two hours a week with benefits.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It is absurd how well your employer treats you when they know you don't need the paycheck

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Came across this on the Boglehead forum.

Guy documents his journey to leanFIRE 2005 to 2015. Blog goes dormant. Comes back to post an update in 2021 about how things went. It…did not go well.

https://livingafi.com/2021/03/17/the-2021-early-retirement-update/#more-15998

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
There was some discussion on that a few pages back, if you're curious (and plenty of room for more right here :justpost:).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, I didn't read the Comments last time it was posted

FIRE dorks really hate women

moana
Jun 18, 2005

There has been a lot of research on what women find attractive in men, there are the obvious traits, such as symmetrical face, waist to hip ratio, lots of skeletal muscle, youth, signs the man will be a good father etc. However for women the overwhelmingly most important trait is that the man must be culturally successful, or likely to become culturally successful.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yowsa

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Broke, a penny saved is a penny earned. Save for a rainy day
Woke, live below your means to worry about money less
Bespoke, However for women the overwhelmingly most important trait is that the man must be culturally successful, or likely to become culturally successful.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Epitope posted:

Broke, a penny saved is a penny earned. Save for a rainy day
Woke, live below your means to worry about money less
Bespoke, However for women the overwhelmingly most important trait is that the man must be culturally successful, or likely to become culturally successful.

Thankfully they didn't specify which culture, and there are so many to choose from where I am!

:freep: :gay: :nyoron: :wookie: :texas: :ice: :350: :witch:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Cross-posting from the r/relationships thread:

quote:

I've 40m worked almost 20 years to quit a job I hate; now it's finally time and my wife (38f) doesn't want me to quit. Everyone is saying she's right.
I have the good fortune to have a high paying job (currently around 250k/yr), but I have never liked it. Even at the beginning of my career I was dreaming of saving enough money to retire early, but I also wanted to have a family. When I met and dated and married my wife, I was explicit about my dreams and she agreed that when we had "enough" money I could quit. Enough was defined as a paid off house and $2mm in invested assets. I kept track of this every month since 2005. She was always supportive until it looked like the finish line was in sight. In the past 3 years she has been expressing increasing anxiety that I would actually quit, and has tried to push the dollar amount higher ("adjusting for inflation" etc) or convince me to buy expensive money sinks like a boat or light aircraft.

I understand that she is anxious about the loss of income, but we really do not need it. As I said our home is paid off and she earns around 80k/yr which is more than enough to cover our expenses (we have more than enough that she could also quit, but just to emphasize we don't need ANY investment income if she continues to work). Our two children are 10 and 12 so they don't cost much anymore, and even less if I were at home. Financially I could have quit five years ago and we would have been fine but I have always been conservative about making sure that there's "enough" before finally going for it.

The problem is that everyone in our lives is feeding her anxieties and casting me as a villain for giving up my career instead of doing more to set up our children with a bigger head start/inheritance. I understand this perspective because most of my colleagues are motivated to insure that their kids start out with $$$ when they graduate college/grad school etc. It's just never been what I was interested in and until recently she felt the same. I thought that talk therapy would be a productive place to share/reaffirm our perspective but it's been a complete disaster. My therapist has told me I have to choose between my family and my dream, hers has told her that I'm choosing myself over the family, and ours clearly considers me to be a preposterous person whereas my wife's (new) view is normal.

The anxieties my wife expresses are not very realistic. She'll seize onto news about inflation to show that we don't have enough money or stock market valuation to prove that we're due for a crash any minute. The reason I worked an extra five years is to build in a buffer for fluctuations like that.

As she's become more and more entrenched about this I began to suspect she might actually divorce me if I quit. When I asked her directly, she wouldn't answer. I only have mild financial anxiety about divorce because I could happily live a very reduced lifestyle, and I estimate that even accounting for likely child support/alimony I wouldn't have to work more than a few extra years. But I have very severe emotional anxiety about it, because I deeply love my wife and children and I thought that we were working together. For example when our children were young I worked very long hours and I have always looked forward to finally spending time with them. Now that I finally can I feel that it's being denied and the "workaround" solutions are crap. Like just hire another secretary and then you'll have more free time. That's not how work works.

I'm not really sure what I'm asking honestly. I've expressed all of this before in private and with our therapist. She acknowledges that the math is correct, "but what if..." and now I don't think there's any number that would be big enough for her, even though we don't spend a lot. Should I just buckle down and work 25 more years? I mean, granted that if I do by the time I'm old we'll have 15 million dollars. But neither of us will ever spend it or enjoy the years we have when we are still fit and active.

Honestly, I'm on the edge of saying "gently caress it" and just quitting to see what happens. I've never liked work and now that I know I finally achieved my goals I'm practically quivering every day ready to gently caress off for good. I said this last week in therapy and my wife said nothing and the therapist said "I guess you'll find out." Feeling pretty bad!!

tldr: enough money to retire, selfish if I do it and maybe divorce

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
It seems to be a consistently bad idea to quit working cold turkey.

Like start out part time and/or at a not poo poo job. Gradually learn to use the free time in a mentally healthy and sustainable way, more time to get the partner on board, makes the money last easier, etc. win-win.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 5, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Like start out part time and/or at a not poo poo job. Gradually learn to use the free time in a mentally healthy and sustainable way, more time to get the partner on board, makes the money last easier, etc. win-win.

Did you read past the title? Partner has been on board for the past 16 years:

quote:

I have the good fortune to have a high paying job (currently around 250k/yr), but I have never liked it. Even at the beginning of my career I was dreaming of saving enough money to retire early, but I also wanted to have a family. When I met and dated and married my wife, I was explicit about my dreams and she agreed that when we had "enough" money I could quit. Enough was defined as a paid off house and $2mm in invested assets. I kept track of this every month since 2005. She was always supportive until it looked like the finish line was in sight.

Dude can quit if he likes and find a part time job later if he's bored or something.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Dude should mic drop and walk out tomorrow. Take the kids to the go kart track.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm curious if the Mrs. is concerned about money or if she just likes having OP out of the house all day.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

spf3million posted:

I'm curious if the Mrs. is concerned about money or if she just likes having OP out of the house all day.

It's quite simple, really. There has been a lot of research on what women find attractive in men, there are the obvious traits, such as symmetrical face, waist to hip ratio, lots of skeletal muscle, youth, signs the man will be a good father etc. However for women the overwhelmingly most important trait is that the man must be culturally successful, or likely to become culturally successful.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Quitting addictions cold turkey is possible, and one big method for success is having a date set, and sticking with it. It also helps a lot to have support, too bad all of civilization is codependent in this case

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Tbh I don't know if I would be okay at retiring with $2m with a young family either. When you're far away it sounds like such a big number, but then you realize any kind of big health issue and it could be gone.

I'm also curious whether he plans to fund the kids' college. He talks about not setting them up for after college, which I think isn't unreasonable, but would they have to take out loans to get through it?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Anne Whateley posted:

Tbh I don't know if I would be okay at retiring with $2m with a young family either. When you're far away it sounds like such a big number, but then you realize any kind of big health issue and it could be gone.

I'm also curious whether he plans to fund the kids' college. He talks about not setting them up for after college, which I think isn't unreasonable, but would they have to take out loans to get through it?

I was going to say this, but in a different way. I think a family of 4 could retire with $2m, but I don't know if this particular family could. If he's been making $250k/yr for any significant length of time, I have to wonder how he only has 2 million plus house saved after 20 years. That's obviously a huge amount of money, and maybe I've been reading too many 50%+ savings rate stories lately, but I wonder what their expenses look like.

It also seems inevitable this is heading for divorce, regardless of what they decide to do.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Dude can quit if he likes and find a part time job later if he's bored or something.

She was obviously on board with the theory but not the practice of the concept. Its possible he wasn't prepared either. The last blogger that was posted in this thread didn't really make a good look either.

All I'm saying its a big change, obviously so considering their evident issues. One cant predict how things will play out and easing into it makes a lot of sense even if you think you have it all planned out. Hell maybe his wife was the sensible one.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 5, 2021

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I feel like expecting your spouse to continue working in order to not draw down your investment principal while you gently caress off and read the internet all day is a ticket to divorce.

Including the wife and modelling FIRE expectations around both of them retiring around the same time and maybe she doesn't push back so hard.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Diva Cupcake posted:

I feel like expecting your spouse to continue working in order to not draw down your investment principal while you gently caress off and read the internet all day is a ticket to divorce.

Including the wife and modelling FIRE expectations around both of them retiring around the same time and maybe she doesn't push back so hard.

Read the sentence after that one again. He was just using her working still as an example, I don't think he actually expects her to do it.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Regardless of who is right, the spouse definitely doesn't have the same goal if she is trying to get him to buy money pits like a boat or light aircraft.

So she is not a small tweak from being convinced of his life choice of early retirement. At the time they married, she agreed with him. Now, she doesn't, which is not her fault, but is what they need to talk about. Talking about inflation concerns and whether they really have enough misses the point that she totally has different ideas of what kind of life she wants for her family.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

People lie. A lot of "I supported this for 20 years" can actually be "I just said sure because it sounded crazy to me but unlikely to ever happen, so why rock the boat."

I will confirm - a lot of people simply cannot understand the concept of not "working" pretty much no matter how financially set you are. For a lot of people, it's just impossible to contemplate, and it actually is a major problem for them if someone else does it.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I feel bad for that dude. Wife has a crab bucket mentality and wants to keep up with the neighbors. Buying a boat or light aircraft, what the gently caress.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Have they considered a seaplane? Best of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

MrKatharsis posted:

Dude should mic drop and walk out tomorrow. Take the kids to the go kart track.

Lol that's it. That's how you beat that.