Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Outer Worlds was a big honking pile of poo poo and i can't believe it got good reviews. Sci Fi New Vegas my rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

The ad economy of the internet is a parasitic farce. And any able person has a duty to divorce themselves from it as far as possible so we can finally kick out the rotten beams holding it up.

Quoting because I truly believe in this. I go so far as to install ublock origin on all computers I come across, even other colleagues.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Suspicious Lump posted:

Quoting because I truly believe in this. I go so far as to install ublock origin on all computers I come across, even other colleagues.

I've been using adblock since forever. Don't ublock do something better/different or is it basically the same?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dark Souls 2 is so much. Theres just an overwhelming amount of content and the thing often feels disconnected random zones and areas which is part of the theme, but that doesn't make it great to play per se, theres some weirdness rolling, and it has the worst remaster I've ever played.

Dark Souls 3 is someone way over course correcting and producing a sequel slavishly devoted to the original to the point where it feels unsatisfying and what new it brings to the table it seems embarrassed by.

Both games are in story and in design ruminations on what it means to be a sequel to Dark Souls and neither one is going to wholly satisfy for disparate reasons.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

runnypoops posted:

Outer Worlds was a big honking pile of poo poo and i can't believe it got good reviews. Sci Fi New Vegas my rear end!

The thing I've noticed about Obidian's games is they really, really refine the gently caress out of what has already been established by other developers. But...it really doesn't leave anything new to see or do and while their games aren't bad it's like eating a burger and still being hungry.

My point is Outer Worlds is Sci-Fi New Vegas which in and of itself is "more Fallout, you'll play it we promise nothing more".

Then cue the gamers going "oh, but they were screwed by the publisher!" not noticing this has been a trend for them for like 17 years across multiple publishers. At some point one needs to put two and two together and maybe see it's been them all along.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 1, 2021

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Meme Poker Party posted:

I've been using adblock since forever. Don't ublock do something better/different or is it basically the same?

i really didn't see any ads with ublock to the point where if I went on a browser that didn't have it everything looked real hosed up

I got a RaspberryPi and set up something called PiHole that blocks all ads on your whole network. i hate being advertised to.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Barudak posted:

Dark Souls 2 is so much. Theres just an overwhelming amount of content and the thing often feels disconnected random zones and areas which is part of the theme, but that doesn't make it great to play per se, theres some weirdness rolling, and it has the worst remaster I've ever played.

Dark Souls 3 is someone way over course correcting and producing a sequel slavishly devoted to the original to the point where it feels unsatisfying and what new it brings to the table it seems embarrassed by.

Both games are in story and in design ruminations on what it means to be a sequel to Dark Souls and neither one is going to wholly satisfy for disparate reasons.

power stance dual greatswords and tell me Dark souls 2 is bad

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Meme Poker Party posted:

ublock origin is the only one that is opensource and doesn't have a dodgy whitelist. Nearly all other adblockers allow for ad companies to pay for the rights to be included in the whitelist. ublock origin is also insanely good, doesn't slow down your browser (scientifically proven! see the link below), doesn't hog ram or cpu. The author doesn't accept donations of any kind because he wants to keep it above board.

ublock origin is the best ad blocker.

https://www.debugbear.com/blog/chrome-extension-performance-2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you really hate ads there is a militarized version of ublock origin called AdNauseam that silently clicks every ad it blocks

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

power stance dual greatswords and tell me Dark souls 2 is bad

Its bad. Its better than Dark Souls 3 no question in my mind, but the remaster especially is so awful I'd never recommend it to a first time player and theres no other way to buy it new now so...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poverty goat posted:

if you really hate ads there is a militarized version of ublock origin called AdNauseam that silently clicks every ad it blocks

This doesn't do anything helpful, the click won't be counted.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

have you powerstanced dual greatswords

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

have you powerstanced dual greatswords

I powerstanced a bunch of stuff, can't remember if I did greatswords, but that won't change the infinite lighting deer in a snowstorm hell trek.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Suspicious Lump posted:

ublock origin is the only one that is opensource and doesn't have a dodgy whitelist. Nearly all other adblockers allow for ad companies to pay for the rights to be included in the whitelist. ublock origin is also insanely good, doesn't slow down your browser (scientifically proven! see the link below), doesn't hog ram or cpu. The author doesn't accept donations of any kind because he wants to keep it above board.

ublock origin is the best ad blocker.

https://www.debugbear.com/blog/chrome-extension-performance-2021

Checking it out, thank you friend!

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The thing about Dark Souls 2's whole "everything is connected in a way that doesn't make sense if you think about it" is that it completely doesn't work as an intentional theme in video games. Games are already usually made up of a bunch of unique zones that barely join together in a coherent way, so it's hard to make it come off as an intentional design decision and not a post hoc justification for how they stitched things together.

Anyway, DS1 > DS3 > DS2, although I played SotFS and I hear that may have contributed to my dislike of it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My baseless theory is that everyone who hated Dark Souls 2 hated it because they rushed to play it at release and were hungry for more Dark Souls 1 and didn't get what they expected and everyone who loves it really took their time and waited till they were in the right mood and zone for a new but slightly Dark Souls experience

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I have not played every single Mario game but I have played most of them and Thousand Year Door is the absolute low point of the series

It's amazing how you can consistently have the worst takes in the bad takes thread. Kudos

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Armitag3 posted:

It's amazing how you can consistently have the worst takes in the bad takes thread. Kudos

:smug:

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

I mean one of my favorite moments in games ever was the first time I took the elevator from the Undead Parish and ended up back at Firelink and was like NO WAY and DS2 didn't have that kind of thing. But I thought the combat was fun, powerstancing owns, and it has the best spells out of all 3. As far as the lack of a connected world, I just interpreted it more like an older NES/SNES type game where you have individual levels, and then you run through them and beat the boss at the end and then you go to the next level.

Dark Souls 3 is kinda hosed up though. I've beat 1 and 2 more than once, but never beat 3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The disconnect of the zones wasnt a huge issue in DS2 for me but the theme of layered ruins doesn't really build perfectly so it feels really disjointed and post hoc a lot of times (which iirc it was due to messy development). Its also hard to get a grasp of what the "present" narrative is and what is the past and what the hell the time travel and all that stuff is about because again there is just so friggin much meat on the bones here.

Thanks to sheer volume DS2 has a ton of zones I love.

Scholar of the First Sin just makes everything worse for no reason and it sucks because I was super intrigued to play DS2 again with all DLC and just ugh ugh ugh regrets.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Barudak posted:

This doesn't do anything helpful, the click won't be counted.

http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1873/IWPE17_paper_23.pdf posted:

he AdNauseam extension attempts to realize three tangible goals
for the context of online tracking via advertising. The first is to
offer protection; protection against for users against malware and
“malvertising” (malicious software that leverages advertising mech-
anisms to gain access to users’ systems [31]), as well as protection
against data aggregation and profiling (either for individual users,
the aggregate set of users, or both) via clicks on advertisements. The
second goal is to provide a means of proactive engagement, allowing
users an avenue for expression of their dissatisfaction with current
advertising mechanisms to those in control of such systems. In the
case of AdNauseam, this expression has an interventional aspect,
as the software actively attempts to disrupt the economic model
that drives advertising surveillance. The third goal is to facilitate
transparency regarding the advertising ecosystem—and the profiling
on which it operates—by providing users with the ability to view
the ads they are served in real-time, and later, to explore interactive
visualizations of the ads collected over time, providing a rare glimpse
of how advertisers view them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Without going any deeper on how the setup goes than that paragraph, with larger businesses I would expect the "proactive" part to not work given their setups to counter it.

Not saying it won't achieve its goal of blocking ads, just the other part of disrupting the model isn't how its doing that. Hell even the businesses not insulated against this have often done the math to decide its not an issue since the final metrics of performance are non-spoofable

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meme Poker Party posted:

adblock aint poo poo. ublock is good, noscript is best. combine for great results!

e: yeah ublock origin

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Westerners don't understand dark souls 2 because they don't understand Buddhism

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

My baseless theory is that everyone who hated Dark Souls 2 hated it because they rushed to play it at release and were hungry for more Dark Souls 1 and didn't get what they expected and everyone who loves it really took their time and waited till they were in the right mood and zone for a new but slightly Dark Souls experience

naw i played it again a few months ago and couldn't finish it because I just got bored of fighting 50,000 boring knight enemies copy and pasted all over in ugly environments. Some of the levels look like complete poo poo and the combat feels gross.

Game was better when the lightning javelins were overpowered and you could just spam them.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What religion is Buddha a sequel to?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Outpost22 posted:

bud :420:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wouldn't be surprised if internet advertising infrastructure is so poo poo it's impossible to sabotage.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Outpost22 posted:

Hinduism. Gautama Buddha was raised Hindu, just like Jesus was raised Jewish

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Barudak posted:

Its bad. Its better than Dark Souls 3 no question in my mind, but the remaster especially is so awful I'd never recommend it to a first time player and theres no other way to buy it new now so...

On PC you can still buy either version.

My room temperature take is that most of the complaints about 2 apply just as equally to 1, but people have built up this insane mythologized idea that 1 is an unimpeachable 200/100 masterpiece and 2 is the B-team's disastrous folly.

Also I honestly don't get why the only thing anyone ever says about DS3 is that it's nothing but callbacks, because to me those are easily the least of its problems. Heck, it actually does some cool stuff with a few of 'em.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
DS2 is tons of forgettable empty levels with forgettable bosses. I played it a few months ago and only remember the wharf.

It's a nice game.

For clowns to play.

In a circus.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anytime someone matter of factly calls Dark Souls 3 bad it's like a free pass for me to never care about their opinions on video games ever again.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Yeah i liked Dark Souls 3 a whole lot more than Dark Souls 2. Game doesn't have many viable builds though which is a drag.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Post release belfry was so much fun. I beat it once and came back a month or so later and it was even better.

veni veni veni posted:

Anytime someone matter of factly calls Dark Souls 3 bad it's like a free pass for me to never care about their opinions on video games ever again.

The more dark souls tried to be bloodborne in terms of speed the worse it got.

Ds2, ds1, the lovely ds2 remastered version, ds3

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I liked the very chunky slowness (and viability of shields over rolling) of DS1 and by DS3 where I was just wildly slamming my straight sword into everythings face I was having less fun.

It doesn't help the twin princes is probably my least favorite fight in the entire series since for whatever reason on my playthrough their AI decided they weren't gonna do what they do for other people and I had a rouuuuugh time with the lock on. I think they got patched but I'm never going back to that game.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
DS2 is by far the weakest Dark Souls game, which still makes it a good video game.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

DS3 is the best one and the only one I actually finished but DS2 is a close second. I found DS1 to be both duller and more frustrating than the other ones.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

KonvexKonkav posted:

DS3 is the best one and the only one I actually finished but DS2 is a close second. I found DS1 to be both duller and more frustrating than the other ones.

A post was worthy of this thread

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
DS1 is the only dark souls I've beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
DS2 I gave up on at the iron keep and I didnt like it cuz it felt clunky to me. DS3 I'm stuck on some late game bosses cuz I'm too proud/lazy to summon help