Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Idk, my doggo used to push me and my gf apart or get mad when we'd snuggle or kiss but either neutering or growing out of the puppy phase ended it.

Is the dog generally dominant? Like, who leads the way and chooses the path on walks -- you or the dog? Does the dog lay on the couch even though he's not allowed to, things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I've got a weird one and wasn't sure where else to ask this.

I've recently had a big change in my work life and schedule and I have time in the afternoon to take naps. Typically an hour but occasionally more. I have found that when I nap my bladder goes into overdrive and even if I pee right before I go down within 30 minutes it's bursting again and again every 30 minutes after that.

I'm aware that needing to wake to pee is a common condition as you get older except this does not happen to me at night. I never have to wake up at night to pee even if I have a large liquid intake before bed. I found this whole thing weird and started paying attention to my liquid intake thinking maybe I just drink more in the early afternoon and less before bed but that does not seem to be the case. Even when deliberately drinking similar amounts in a similar time period before sleep I do not have to wake to pee at night but 30 minutes of a nap and my balls are like water balloons.

Googling just gives me endless results about night time issues. Why the hell does this only happen to me when I nap??

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

D-Pad posted:

I've recently had a big change in my work life and schedule and I have time in the afternoon to take naps. Typically an hour but occasionally more. I have found that when I nap my bladder goes into overdrive and even if I pee right before I go down within 30 minutes it's bursting again and again every 30 minutes after that.

I'm aware that needing to wake to pee is a common condition as you get older except this does not happen to me at night. I never have to wake up at night to pee even if I have a large liquid intake before bed. I found this whole thing weird and started paying attention to my liquid intake thinking maybe I just drink more in the early afternoon and less before bed but that does not seem to be the case. Even when deliberately drinking similar amounts in a similar time period before sleep I do not have to wake to pee at night but 30 minutes of a nap and my balls are like water balloons.

Googling just gives me endless results about night time issues. Why the hell does this only happen to me when I nap??

Guilt from years of being conditioned to work yourself to the bone

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

D-Pad posted:

This sounds weird enough that it’s worth mentioning to your doctor.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

regulargonzalez posted:

Is the dog generally dominant? Like, who leads the way and chooses the path on walks -- you or the dog? Does the dog lay on the couch even though he's not allowed to, things like that.

He's pretty good on a walk, doesn't pull too much and goes where we want, until he sees a cat or another dog and then he goes insane.

He's well behaved when he's within our line of sight. He'll steal food or sometimes get on the nice furniture if we leave the room.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

artsy fartsy posted:

He's pretty good on a walk, doesn't pull too much and goes where we want, until he sees a cat or another dog and then he goes insane.

He's well behaved when he's within our line of sight. He'll steal food or sometimes get on the nice furniture if we leave the room.

Oh so you mean he's not well behaved then?

e: Sorry, I'm being a dick, but it normally means your dog has some trauma (which you would know,) or he's poorly trained and has "imprinted" on one of you, but that's normally with pure breeds. My dog was a shetland sheep dog that was like this, and it took a couple of months to get him to stop freaking the gently caress out.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 27, 2021

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There's a dog owning/training thread here which might help.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Yeah, it sounds like he hasn't been properly trained.

There's no easy fix -- training a dog is a never ending process that takes a lot of time and patience. Just like training a child to use the toilet, to dress themselves, they don't want to do it but it's for their own good and you'd be a neglectful parent if you didn't raise them properly.

Start with crate training imo. That improves the attitude of every dog, they end up loving their crate, and you don't have to worry about them getting on the furniture when you go out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
One of our newish (3 months old) stainless steel frying pans suddenly has what looks like little rust spots on it. I've tried Bar Keeper's Friend, but it didn't touch the spots. What else can I do, or is the pan defective?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

One of our newish (3 months old) stainless steel frying pans suddenly has what looks like little rust spots on it. I've tried Bar Keeper's Friend, but it didn't touch the spots. What else can I do, or is the pan defective?

Scotchbrite pad with a bit of water.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lawnie posted:

Scotchbrite pad with a bit of water.

Hmm. I've got some kind of yellow sponge that has one side made out of a rougher green material; I thought that was a Scotchbrite pad but now that I look at pictures maybe it's not?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
"Scotch-Brite" is the brand name for 3M's scouring pads. your sponge has a scouring pad built in, but it's probably not rough enough. there are different grades just like sandpaper

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Hmm. I've got some kind of yellow sponge that has one side made out of a rougher green material; I thought that was a Scotchbrite pad but now that I look at pictures maybe it's not?

That’s scotchbrite but a pretty gentle one. Any local hardware store should have more abrasive ones.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

There's also green plastic "wool" (probably Scotch Brite or very similar) that looks and works like steel wool but slightly softer.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can also use an abrasive paste. Simplest one is baking soda + water, or you can buy it in the supermarket.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

regulargonzalez posted:

Start with crate training imo. That improves the attitude of every dog, they end up loving their crate, and you don't have to worry about them getting on the furniture when you go out.

He does like his crate and he'll go to it when we tell him to. He seems to be a smart dog, just certain things get him super excited and worked up (like the aforementioned hugging, or seeing another dog while he's on a leash.) I'll check out the dog training thread that was posted.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

We've just gone into another 4 weeks of lockdown thanks to you know who. This got me chatting with my neighbour (socially distanced and masked up) about how she's struggling with being the teacher for her kids and how she feels under resourced when it comes to helping them with schoolwork.

She was talking about how the kids school is sending out pdf's of things to work through but she's getting no answer sheets and struggling with trying to go through her work, dealing with kids who are going crazy trapped in a small apartment and trying to work through all of their work to make sure they've been doing the right thing.

What sort of sites are useful to help Aussie high school kids who are early teenagers. One of the kids is learning mixed denominator fractions if you need an example of what sort of level they're at. Obviously things like maths are going to be pretty universal but I mention Aussie in the case of English / history style stuff that anyone might think of.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Khan academy is pretty good and free, depending on what they're looking for/their ages!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Khan Academy was pretty great last I used it. They were a bigger contributor to my A's in Calculus than my teacher was, honestly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Lone Badger posted:

You can also use an abrasive paste. Simplest one is baking soda + water, or you can buy it in the supermarket.

Yeah, I saw the baking soda thing on a site and it said to make a paste out of 2 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of baking soda. How the hell they think that'd make a paste is beyond me. Even a 1:1 ratio wasn't at all pasty. I figured the Bar Keeper's Friend would be at least as abrasive though?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This is the stuff I used to use https://www.gumptioncleanser.com.au/. Abrasive enough to clean steel, but fine-grained enough that you can't see any scratching.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Can anyone suggest a good string trimmer/(leaf) blower combo? A lot of the things listed on amazon seem a bit pricey but I'm hoping to not have to shelve out too much for it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TV Zombie posted:

Can anyone suggest a good string trimmer/(leaf) blower combo? A lot of the things listed on amazon seem a bit pricey but I'm hoping to not have to shelve out too much for it.

HCH tools thread is the best place to get recommendations.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
Is there a thread for discussions like "what city/state/region is right for me?"? LAN is good, but spread across 50 threads.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

I got the Worx set (and their lawn mower) and they're fine for me

E: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08747N388/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1 looks like it's out of stock but search Google shopping, I'm sure someone has it

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 29, 2021

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

During the last hot spell, I ran across my neighbour hosing down the outside of his house (a large, brick, two-storey house). He explained that they didn't have air conditioning so he was doing this to cool it. Would this actually help or was he wasting his time? I can't see it affecting the hot air already inside.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 29, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Drimble Wedge posted:

During the last hot spell, I ran across my neighbour hosing down the outside of his house (a large, brick, two-storey house). He explained that they didn't have air conditioning so he was doing this to cool it. Would this actually help or was he wasting his time? I can't see it affecting the hot air already inside.

Technically the evaporation of the watet will suck heat from the house, i doubt the effect would be terribly significant think

e: not to mention the cool water running down the outside of the house will also cool it. Again, doubt it would be significant

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Drimble Wedge posted:

Brick buildings in particular can have the issue that the bricks absorb and retain heat for a long time. If the house interior is poorly insulated (or not at all), it can lead to the interior staying uncomfortably warm during the night even if the outside temperature is relatively cool. So while hosing down the walls shouldn't do anything about the inside air in the short term, it might make a difference over the across the rest of the day and night.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

LittleFuryThings posted:

Is there a thread for discussions like "what city/state/region is right for me?"? LAN is good, but spread across 50 threads.

If nothing else, you could make a thread in this forum.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

alnilam posted:

Technically the evaporation of the watet will suck heat from the house, i doubt the effect would be terribly significant think

e: not to mention the cool water running down the outside of the house will also cool it. Again, doubt it would be significant

this is actually pretty drat significant, cooling by evaporation is very efficient. It won't cool your house super quick but it does have a significant effect. Misting your roof will lower the temp of it by like 10-15 degrees centigrade (50-60 F). You won't need a ton, just a couple of liters per day should be enough.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Samopsa posted:

this is actually pretty drat significant, cooling by evaporation is very efficient. It won't cool your house super quick but it does have a significant effect. Misting your roof will lower the temp of it by like 10-15 degrees centigrade (50-60 F). You won't need a ton, just a couple of liters per day should be enough.

Alright mister evaporation expert: I am at the water. It is 30 degrees centigrade, air and water, and sunny. I have two bottles of the finest white wine and two newspapers. I wrap both the bottles in the paper, dip them in the water and place one in the shade and the other in the sun. After some time, I desire a cool drink. Which bottle should I choose? Also when should I open it for maximum coolness?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

the shade of course, if you wanna cool off by sweating it goes a whole lot faster in the shade. Shade + breeze is the best actually, the main limitation to evaporation won't be thermal energy (in fact, you don't want to add that at all to cool... you want to use the thermal energy of the object you're cooling). The limitation is in the amount of water vapor the air holds. Even the smallest breeze will substantially increase the rate of evaporation and thus the rate of cooling.

And the moment the rate of cooling by evaporation is equal to the ingress of heat from the environment is the best moment to open the bottle. When that is? Dunno man, I would need to do some calculations and then it turns into a big question instead of a small one :spergin:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Samopsa posted:

10-15 degrees centigrade (50-60 F)

:dafuq:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Centigrade is another term for Celsius. 10-15C is the same as 50-60F.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Khizan posted:

It's really more like 18-27F. A change of 1 degree Celsius is about equivalent to a change of 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

10 degrees Celsius, as a temperature, is 50 degrees Fahrenheit, yes. But the phrasing used suggested a change in temperature by 10-15 degrees Celsius. And since each degree C is 9/5ths of a degree F, that most certainly is not 50-60 degrees F.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Oh, duh, I didn't catch the context of that.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can I still donate sperm someday if I have HFAutism and a gluten allergen?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Grouchio posted:

Can I still donate sperm someday if I have HFAutism and a gluten allergen?
Searching around, it seems like it might depend on the clinic. There were some related debates a couple years back when it was discovered that 12 kids with autism were children of the same sperm donor. For instance, a big British sperm bank banned donations from people who have autism and then rolled it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Any recommendations for a cheap controller that will work with/mount a Galaxy S8?
By mount I mean something that holds the phone with it, so the controller and phone are together. Old gamebox games with touch controls is much more of a hassle than I ever thought it would be, so the more like a Gameboy the better.