Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ok, I don't know what's going on but I just downgraded my stats (by a very minor amount but still) because I got a new chest that is adorable and gently caress it, I'm wearing the cute thing, I DON'T CARE DAD! Also, am loving the empire truly and enjoying this bit of the MSQ immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Glamour exists, allowing you to wear the cute thing without downgrading your stats.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Glamour exists, allowing you to wear the cute thing without downgrading your stats.

Oh I know, but I'm still going argy-bargy on the MSQ so for like, 6 pts of 347 I'm not even worried. Its just funny cause I'd never wear 'un-optimal' gear usually, but this robe matches my eyes!

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm a long time WoW vet and I am absolutely thrilled at the lack of hotbar bloat and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on Thaumaturgy. Spend MP with Fire, transpose, regen MP with Blizzard, transpose, repeat. If Thunder procs fire it off, finish stuff with scathe.

Yeah it's fun, as a mage player in a lot of games BLM clicked for me - it gets better too, Transpose takes a back seat and you just go "tik, tik, BOOOOM"

"Your stirring gesticulation has reawakened me to my purpose!" I just. It's so earnest and lovable...

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 31, 2021

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Tulip posted:

Did finally get a player salty at me in game, and I wasn't even doing a bad job (I usually do). Yelled at me a bunch for doing too much DPS while healing. We didn't even have a single death the whole run, we were fine, don't know what got up their butt. So far people have been very forgiving and patient with me being bad at healing.
Anyone complaining about that is just bad at the game, only the last hitpoint matters and the game expects healers to dps.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I once had a Paladin get mad at me for constantly leaving him below half health because Spirit's Within scales with health. Sorry dude, your extra 100 single target potency is not worth me losing Holy casts on mobs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

I once had a Paladin get mad at me for constantly leaving him below half health because Spirit's Within scales with health. Sorry dude, your extra 100 single target potency is not worth me losing Holy casts on mobs.

What a baby. If you've never popped Hallowed Ground just to keep your HP up as you hit Spirits Within I dunno if you can really call yourself a PLD.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
hallowed ground is for the one pull in the dungeon where you can go boss to boss, timed just after the third holy hits

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm so confused- so, I am a level 69 Bard but don't really like the job. I figured out how to change my job to Machinist, and became one, but all of my gear is too high level for the job now (it requires level 60 and I'm now level 30).

Is there some way to wear my gear, or some vendor I can buy good gear from, or something? It feels really bad to just abandon all of my gear...

It's so confusing. I honestly don't even understand what I'm supposed to do now... do I go do level 30 content like I'm level 30 again? Do I continue the same content I was doing before, except now I only have access to level 30 abilities?

Thanks for any help I'm basically completely lost.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Taima posted:

I'm so confused- so, I am a level 69 Bard but don't really like the job. I figured out how to change my job to Machinist, and became one, but all of my gear is too high level for the job now (it requires level 60 and I'm now level 30).

Is there some way to wear my gear, or some vendor I can buy good gear from, or something? It feels really bad to just abandon all of my gear...

It's so confusing. I honestly don't even understand what I'm supposed to do now... do I go do level 30 content like I'm level 30 again? Do I continue the same content I was doing before, except now I only have access to level 30 abilities?

You'll need to find level 30 gear. I think the class quest for machinist gives a set to you? And you can use older bard gear if you still have it lying around, get it from dungeons, buy from vendors, etc. All the normal ways to acquire gear, except story rewards, since you already cleared those.

Your machinist level is completely separate from your bard level. You won't be able to level using the story, of course, but all the other sources of experience are still open to you--and non-quest experience is doubled while you're not on your highest-leveled class.

Dungeons are generally the fastest way to level, though there's other ways, and things you can do while waiting for for dungeon queues. In particular, your first run of leveling duty roulette each day will give you a massive pile of xp. Other than that, you'll generally want to queue for the highest level dungeon you qualify for in the class you want to level.

You can continue the story on machinist once it reaches the minimum level for the story quests where you're currently at.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

cheetah7071 posted:

You'll need to find level 30 gear. I think the class quest for machinist gives a set to you? And you can use older bard gear if you still have it lying around, get it from dungeons, buy from vendors, etc. All the normal ways to acquire gear, except story rewards, since you already cleared those.

Your machinist level is completely separate from your bard level. You won't be able to level using the story, of course, but all the other sources of experience are still open to you--and non-quest experience is doubled while you're not on your highest-leveled class.

Dungeons are generally the fastest way to level, though there's other ways, and things you can do while waiting for for dungeon queues. In particular, your first run of leveling duty roulette each day will give you a massive pile of xp. Other than that, you'll generally want to queue for the highest level dungeon you qualify for in the class you want to level.

You can continue the story on machinist once it reaches the minimum level for the story quests where you're currently at.

Annoyingly the heavensward jobs don't give you a gear set, just weapons. But just going to a vendor in a major city should net you a set of gear that's perfectly adequate for leveling at 30.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mainwaring posted:

Annoyingly the heavensward jobs don't give you a gear set, just weapons. But just going to a vendor in a major city should net you a set of gear that's perfectly adequate for leveling at 30.

Ishgard has level 30 vendor gear for exactly this purpose.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It sadly doesn't help that much, at least for AST so I assume it's similar to MCH. Since it's ARR levels and they're still using the weird unpaired levels for when gear can be upgraded, the level 30 section doesn't have anything that can be worn until 31 or 32, and even then it's only a piece or two. Only the vendors in the first three cities have the level 20 gear, which you can pull together an okay set of level 26 to 29 to fill out what's needed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mainwaring posted:

I could have sworn the starting DRK quest gave me left side gear as well as a greatsword and a job stone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Taima posted:

This game lets you play every job on the same character, but that also means every job must be leveled up independently. So yes if you switch to Machinist you're back to level 30 and will need to get it caught up to where you were in order to continue the MSQ.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The HW jobs are kinda awkward sine they start at level 30 but are in Ishgard, a location you need to be level 50 and have completed the 2.x MSQ to access.

All the later expansion jobs are just in the starting cities and unlock when you get any job up to their starting levels.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

SirSamVimes posted:

I could have sworn the starting DRK quest gave me left side gear as well as a greatsword and a job stone.

They probably don't give you the full left side. AST gave me the robe that also counts as a hat, plus a pair of pants. The gloves, belt and shoes (plus accessories) all had to come from somewhere else. (I also replaced the robe/hat because glamour, but that's not strictly necessary.)

SomeKindofVerb
Jan 12, 2010
I've been chilling out with the game for a couple of weeks now, it's my first MMORPG so I'm kind of just in for the ride while I'm enjoying it. My only question is; now I'm a bard, is there a program I can download that can record and automatically play songs for me? I thought the game would have it's own rudimentary record function but alas!

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I looked up the quest, and you should have a jacket and pants at the very least so you aren't running around naked (but it's totally okay if you decide to do that)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, Bard and Machinist share gear, so once you're up to level, you can use the gear you had.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ok thanks yall I have to be real I'm kind of disappointed how hard it is to change jobs (sounds like there's no really easy way) but whatever, I don't hate Bard so I'll probably just stick it out until I beat the story.

Another question if yall dont mind:

As I mentioned I'm level 69. However the story quest is WAY behind my level. I'm at level 60 story quests and I'm almost 70. Is that normal? I feel like I get absolutely no experience for doing story quests. I get like 16k experience for doing one quest but I need 11 MILLION EXPERIENCE just to get one level. Even a duty roulette is 60k and barely moves the bar. As a result I feel like nothing I do is leveling my character, and it's a very strange feeling. What's up with this?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

When you're doing the patch quests they give very little experience because they were released during that expansion's level cap, where to do them at all you needed to be at cap regardless. It'll be that way until you get to the next expansion proper and start its quests. Your daily leveling roulette should give you a lot of experience regardless of where you are in the story though. Don't do it more than once a day though as that will give you almost nothing. Basically you should shotgun the MSQ and use the roulettes and such on a second job.

There is a dead easy way to get any job to level 70 in moments and that's paying for the level skip. Otherwise you gotta level them. You could play dancer which starts at 60 if you want another ranged physical.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You will vastly overlevel the story if you're just doing one job, especially if you have the road to 70 buff from starting a character on a preferred server. Your MSQ level is a lot more important than your character level for your first job.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's why lots of people choose to take advantage of being able to switch jobs easily and play more than one job. You could jump right into Dancer or Gunbreaker and be able to continue the story with them straight off.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Since you have the expansions, you can try out dancer or gunbreaker, both of which start at level 60 and will let you seamlessly progress

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Huh interesting. Maybe i should just pick what i want to do and pay for a skip. They seem to be on sale and I have more money than time. And since I’m already 69, it would be a lateral move…

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

SomeKindofVerb posted:

I've been chilling out with the game for a couple of weeks now, it's my first MMORPG so I'm kind of just in for the ride while I'm enjoying it. My only question is; now I'm a bard, is there a program I can download that can record and automatically play songs for me? I thought the game would have it's own rudimentary record function but alas!

yes

https://bardmusicplayer.com/

probably don't talk about it in-game since it is a third party tool which is against the eula. if anyone asks, you're just pressing the keys really fast.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Taima posted:

Ok thanks yall I have to be real I'm kind of disappointed how hard it is to change jobs (sounds like there's no really easy way) but whatever, I don't hate Bard so I'll probably just stick it out until I beat the story.

As I mentioned I'm level 69. However the story quest is WAY behind my level. I'm at level 60 story quests and I'm almost 70. Is that normal? I feel like I get absolutely no experience for doing story quests. I get like 16k experience for doing one quest but I need 11 MILLION EXPERIENCE just to get one level. Even a duty roulette is 60k and barely moves the bar. As a result I feel like nothing I do is leveling my character, and it's a very strange feeling. What's up with this?

???

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Oh poo poo I just got the credits for ARR last night, and was finishing up some things and sorting gear before continuing on the MSQ, and then went to go to the sands, and mounted up and was running and hit jump and I'm FLYING! I can FLY! I assumed that would be a + quest unlock lol. My and my terror chicken are in the sky now! I do appreciate how this game often goes "hey, this is fun, have this cause it's fun."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah ARR flying is only a little less than a year old at this point, and they patched it in to unlock all at once after finishing the base MSQ. When you get to the expansions you'll see that unlocking flying becomes a bit more regimented and requires quests and exploration in each area. But by the same token it also means that you can unlock flying in areas much earlier than the complete end of an expansion.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Taima posted:

stop running dungeons. do the drat story.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A leveling duty roulette should be moving the bar. At least your first one each day. The bonus xp at the end of the dungeon scales with your level.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I think the post expansion quests until you hit the next expansion give no experience or near enough. But progression is gated more by your MSQ progress than your actual character level.
It's "better" to push through MSQ so you can unlock everything quickly, but if you are consistently outleveling the story you could level an alt class alongside your main one. Gunbreaker/Dancer start at 60 and RDM/Samurai start at 50 so it wouldn't take long to get them to your current MSQ level.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah having just finished the msq i would recommend picking up an alt class (or two) that starts at 50 or 60 just so you dont waste msq experience when you get there

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Oneavi posted:

stop running dungeons. do the drat story.

Or if you are going to do dungeons, do them on a different job so that job gets the roulette bonus.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
XP is infinite. Shake off the shackles of efficiency and enjoy the story.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Once you beat the 2.0 story and unlock flying (you see the credits roll for the first time), that's a great time to try out another job. Especially with all the new optional dungeons that pop up. You can level up your new job while queueing for the optional level 50 dungeons with your current one.

It's what I did, keeping Warrior as my 'main' while levelling up Scholar, and I don't regret it.

I cannot emphasise enough, all the (non relic weapon and class unlock) blue quests that unlock raids, dungeons and story are worth doing. It is absolutely worth sticking with Hildibrand.

You will have a much better time doing stuff 'chronologically' (e.g. clearing out the good ARR content, then doing the Heavensward story and clearing out Heavensward), than you would if you felt obligated to rush the main story to max level and then go back and pick up all the pieces.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So here's my report from my start with FF14.

I decided to stick with the initial advice I got of starting out with a Black Mage for DPS, and made a Duskwight Elezen. My initial plan was to do a elf mage character, but I saw Duskwights got a bonus to INT and so I changed it to dark elf mage. I picked Thaumaturge for the Disclipine, though I had to check online, because I (unless I missed it on the screen) the game doesn't describe which Disclipine is linked to what job.

Since I picked Thaumaturge, I start in Ul'dah. I went to the Guild Inn and started doing quests I ran across. I did that for about 3 hours before I stopped for the evening, but I made it to Level 9. Out of all the quests I did, only one was a major story quest (the one where you find the noble lady in front of the tree, fight a boss, and get the crystal cutscene). Most of the others were FedEx quests or 'kill ten bears and collect ten bear asses' stuff.

My memory of the brief time I spent with WOW isn't the best, but it seem like with the 'kill ten monsters and collect items' style quests, there's not the issue where only a third of the enemies have the items. If you need to collect four vial of Cactuar blood, you only need to kill four Cactaurs. It makes things feel a bit more expedient. Like I said, though, I don't remember a whole lot of WOW, so maybe it's the same.

The magic system is a little weird. The ice spell reduces costs once you get the element active, and it recharges you mana, while the fire spell consumes more MP when you cast it in succession, but does more damage, and makes the ice spell cheaper. The way I did it most of the time, I'd either spam just Ice, or I'd spam Fire when I was at full MP, then switch to Blizzard when my mana started to get low. I got the Lightning spell, but it doesn't seem to have any elemental effect, and it didn't seem to do great damage.

One thing that's neat with combat is the bonuses you get if you defeat multiple enemies in a row, which I think is how I got up to Level 9 as quickly as I did. I had one or two close calls, but for the most part, I was able to fight some enemies at or a level higher than me at a couple of points, and got some bonus XP for it. There's also doesn't seem to be a lot of level scaling, because I went back to the central plain, and those enemies were still around Level 1-3.

However, combat feels really slow, but maybe that's just the nature of MMO combat. I imagine once you get to higher levels, things pick up and get more interesting. I wish moving around was faster. It sounds like you can get chocobos at Level 10, but I don't know if you get to keep them, or if it's just like a rental or something. A lot of the other players I saw had pets, including one who was around the same level as me, but I never saw where to get one. I imagine you can't ride them inside cities, either, since I never saw anyone riding one in the city.

When I quit for the night, I tried talking to the innkeeper, but they said I couldn't stay unless I spoke to the lady who gave me the quests when I arrived. Do you have to be a certain level to get a room at the inn?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You need to progress in the main story.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

About 7 times out of ten, "How do I unlock x" is answered by "Main Story"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
To be fair, normally you also have to find a quest giver, like I had screwed up and completely missed retainers because I zoomed through the story and didn't do any of the side quests.