Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

What are my best options for a plastic fender system for a road/gravel bike? That kind that doesn't use normal fender mounts. Or are these just crap? Custom designs or fun colors optional, black would be fine, but I'm not putting something called Mucky Nutz on my bikes.

I've got a Mucky Nutz over the front wheel of my hardtail, too keep the mud and crud away from the upper part of the fork - it's the hardest part of the bike to properly clean. It was the only fender that would fit that my LBS had in-stock (it's a pretty small store). It's fine, the label is only visible to the rider, even when the bike is locked to a post it's not screamingly obvious that I have a stupid skateboarder sticker on my oh-so-serious bright orange MTB. I ride on roads and gravel, it keeps the wet off of parts higher up including my face.

learnincurve posted:

geriatric husband should have his car keys yeeted into the sun.

Thread title. It might be too long, could be shortened but the key word here is certainly "yeeted".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Bike fit trip report:
First time ever getting a bike fit. My primary complaint was sore Achilles after especially long rides, hand pain and sit bone pain after 2-3 hours and beyond, genital numbness especially on long climbs and what felt like excessive back and shoulder tiredness on long rides.

First we started with a physical assessment. I have mostly symmetrical leg bones, general decent flexibility aside from my left hip which does have poor flexibility in the sacroiliac joint which throws off my pedal motion on the left side. Right side is stronger than the left. Doesn't really show up on my power meter data (dual pedal meters) but the body is compensating some way to even out the power leading to asymmetry.

Next we hop on the bike without any adjustment and ride naturally. My natural pedal stroke has my knees way too far outboard, immediately evident on the Retul. Worse on the left side but apparent on both legs. My toe is pointing down on the bottom stroke. My arms were too straight and my back is arched. Bars are so wide it's forcing me to use my traps to stay in what he called a pushup position.

Adjustments made:
Saddle dropped a solid 3ish cm, saddle swapped to one with a cutout and moved forward quite a bit on the rails (definitely didn't need a setback post), stem length increased from 70mm to 110mm, stack height lowered by a couple spacers, bars swapped from a 46cm width to 40cm, cleats pushed from all the way in the front to all the way in the back and toed in slightly to help with bringing my knees in.

Overall, I can obviously tell it's a huge difference. The new saddle allows me to rotate my pelvis down more which puts more of the bones in contact with the saddle allowing them to take more weight leaving less for my hands. I need to focus on not rounding my back and leaning on my arms, keep the lower back straight and arms bent while settled into the saddle. Cleat position and lowering the saddle will supposedly cure my Achilles pain instantly. We went back and forth on the bars to compare and the wide bars I had were making my upper middle back sore after a couple minutes with everything else adjusted. The new narrower bars relieved all back pain, at least within the time I was on the trainer.

Not sure if this gif will work, there's a link to the imgur below with a before and after video. Before on the left, after on the right.

https://imgur.com/RQ8tut6

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Those are some big changes, watching the gif you had a massive amount of toe down before the fit so definitely looks better now.

When my fit was off that much I ended up with a knee injury and some bad muscle imbalances. Granted, I apparently have a 1-2cm leg length discrepancy so that may lead to more knee problems when fit is off. Good thing to have made the changes, may feel weird cycling for a bit though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Math You posted:

So far I give them two big thumbs up but we'll see how they last!
Marathon supremes are decent on tarmac but truly horrific on gravel IMO, and that's compounded by the fact that they're usually run at higher pressure. Great for commuting but no good POS'es for mixed surfaces.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spf3million posted:

Bike fit trip report:
First time ever getting a bike fit. My primary complaint was sore Achilles after especially long rides, hand pain and sit bone pain after 2-3 hours and beyond, genital numbness especially on long climbs and what felt like excessive back and shoulder tiredness on long rides.

First we started with a physical assessment. I have mostly symmetrical leg bones, general decent flexibility aside from my left hip which does have poor flexibility in the sacroiliac joint which throws off my pedal motion on the left side. Right side is stronger than the left. Doesn't really show up on my power meter data (dual pedal meters) but the body is compensating some way to even out the power leading to asymmetry.

Next we hop on the bike without any adjustment and ride naturally. My natural pedal stroke has my knees way too far outboard, immediately evident on the Retul. Worse on the left side but apparent on both legs. My toe is pointing down on the bottom stroke. My arms were too straight and my back is arched. Bars are so wide it's forcing me to use my traps to stay in what he called a pushup position.

Adjustments made:
Saddle dropped a solid 3ish cm, saddle swapped to one with a cutout and moved forward quite a bit on the rails (definitely didn't need a setback post), stem length increased from 70mm to 110mm, stack height lowered by a couple spacers, bars swapped from a 46cm width to 40cm, cleats pushed from all the way in the front to all the way in the back and toed in slightly to help with bringing my knees in.

Overall, I can obviously tell it's a huge difference. The new saddle allows me to rotate my pelvis down more which puts more of the bones in contact with the saddle allowing them to take more weight leaving less for my hands. I need to focus on not rounding my back and leaning on my arms, keep the lower back straight and arms bent while settled into the saddle. Cleat position and lowering the saddle will supposedly cure my Achilles pain instantly. We went back and forth on the bars to compare and the wide bars I had were making my upper middle back sore after a couple minutes with everything else adjusted. The new narrower bars relieved all back pain, at least within the time I was on the trainer.

Not sure if this gif will work, there's a link to the imgur below with a before and after video. Before on the left, after on the right.

https://imgur.com/RQ8tut6

Based on the final saddle position, I'm guessing Kevin did your fit instead of Cesar.

Anyway the old saddle height was pretty extreme considering your lack of ankling at all. In the before video, your hips and upper body have quite a bit of movement. In the after, everything is stabilized.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 30, 2021

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Heliosicle posted:

Those are some big changes, watching the gif you had a massive amount of toe down before the fit so definitely looks better now.

When my fit was off that much I ended up with a knee injury and some bad muscle imbalances. Granted, I apparently have a 1-2cm leg length discrepancy so that may lead to more knee problems when fit is off. Good thing to have made the changes, may feel weird cycling for a bit though.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Based on the final saddle position, I'm guessing Kevin did your fit instead of Cesar.

Anyway the old saddle height was pretty extreme considering your lack of ankling at all. In the before video, your hips and upper body have quite a bit of movement. In the after, everything is stabilized.
Yep it was Kevin. He mentioned a couple of times how he was surprised I hadn't injured myself by now with the saddle so high and my knees tracking so wide. Definitely had strong opinions: he hated my ultra wide gravel bars and my Brooks saddle. But his explanations as to why they were messing with my comfort made sense. He did strongly encourage my swapping them out during the fit to ensure it was fully dialed while I was there. In that sense it felt a little pushy/sales-y to buy the stuff but on the other hand I'm glad to not be second guessing it if I were to try to source my own new parts.

I also forgot to mention he added a small stack under my left cleat and recommended I swap from a 170mm crank to 165mm.

Overall a very interesting experience, I'm looking forward to seeing how it feels on the road.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 30, 2021

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
It’s hard to see the knee instability from the side angle but the arm lockout in the original fit was severe and arm lockout is bad.

Toe pointing is really bad in both fits. I bet it’s a technique thing in the second fit though, try to keep your heels flat at the bottom of your pedal stroke.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

God i need to get a fitting

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Nah bud, I can give you 100% correct fit advice from these very forums:

Narrow bars
Short cranks
Do planks

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

38cm bars and 165 cranks or you’re not even trying

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dren posted:

It’s hard to see the knee instability from the side angle but the arm lockout in the original fit was severe and arm lockout is bad.

Toe pointing is really bad in both fits. I bet it’s a technique thing in the second fit though, try to keep your heels flat at the bottom of your pedal stroke.

You can see the rocking in his entire body from the hips up, including the arms. Toes pointing down in the "after" clip is fine. You shouldn't be able to bottom out your heel at BDC.

His fit is also now "rotated forward" with the saddle position now closer to the BB and his grip stack is also lower to compensate. His hips are leaned forward, and so will his knees and ankles be compared to his old fit. If you look at a TT fit. their toes are always "pointed down."

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 30, 2021

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

blk posted:

I want to tow my kid on a tagalong in a hilly event ride next week.

I normally tow him on my belt-driven steel townie but it’s too heavy and sluggish for all the climbing.

I have a carbon road bike I could use (with a carbon seat post). The manual says not to clamp the Tagalong to a carbon post, but do you think I could get away with it, or doing so with an alloy seat post instead of a carbon one? I’m worried about putting too much strain on the frame in addition to the seat post itself.

Definitely the alloy seat post if you can swap it over easily enough. If my daughters wiggle too much or we take a turn too tight my seat post will sometimes swivel on me--I can't imagine a carbon post handling that level of abuse.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

Nah bud, I can give you 100% correct fit advice from these very forums:

Narrow bars
Short cranks
Do planks

this and sprinkle in a little http://bikefastfit.com

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Bit annoyed, my new(ish) Endura Pro SL bibs have gone seethrough and holed already - right on the tailbone.

They were only 8 months old and i've probably put about 1500 km on them.

This seems a bit low for what I expected from such highly-rated bibs, but then the fit was always pretty tight on me.

Perhaps my arse was just a bit too big for that size :(

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

meltie posted:

Bit annoyed, my new(ish) Endura Pro SL bibs have gone seethrough and holed already - right on the tailbone.

They were only 8 months old and i've probably put about 1500 km on them.

This seems a bit low for what I expected from such highly-rated bibs, but then the fit was always pretty tight on me.

Perhaps my arse was just a bit too big for that size :(

always nice to smile at people behind you in a paceline

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

spf3million posted:

Bike fit trip report:

cleats pushed from all the way in the front to all the way in the back and toed in slightly to help with bringing my knees in.

I am not sure about setting cleats to change knee position, what I have done for the last 30+ years is to fix my cleats where my feet naturally fell on the pedals.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I just got my old bike out of storage after a few years of separation. I'd like to get a roof rack carrier for it. I have low profile/aero Yakima crossbars if that matters, and it's a Gary Fisher hybrid with caliper brakes so fork mount shouldn't be inconvenient other than having to fit the front wheel inside the car.

Are newer designs significantly better than older ones or should I just get whatever I can find locally used off Craigslist/Facebook marketplace? If I buy new I'm leaning towards the Yakima Forkchop, or is that dumb?

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
80km ride today with 1000m elevation doing this route https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/2812183/#9.71/60.6944/5.9477

Was good fun, bonked at the end when i forgot to eat and drink anything for an hour :negative:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ll be moving next year and I don’t really trust the movers to move my bikes.

My car doesn’t have a hitch and I very rarely pack my bike to take somewhere else and ride it-I normally just leave from home. So I don’t see the value in adding a hitch.

I’ve got 3 road bikes and it will likely be at least a 2 day trip, possibly 4 days.

What’s the best bang for the buck option? A saris bones rack 3? It’s going on a Lexus sedan so I don’t want to scratch it up.

My wife has a RAV4 without a hitch but that could be another option.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

nwin posted:

I’ll be moving next year and I don’t really trust the movers to move my bikes.

My car doesn’t have a hitch and I very rarely pack my bike to take somewhere else and ride it-I normally just leave from home. So I don’t see the value in adding a hitch.

I’ve got 3 road bikes and it will likely be at least a 2 day trip, possibly 4 days.

What’s the best bang for the buck option? A saris bones rack 3? It’s going on a Lexus sedan so I don’t want to scratch it up.

My wife has a RAV4 without a hitch but that could be another option.

Cross town or long distance? If they don't fit in a RAV4 you can rent a uhaul pickup and some moving blankets for way less than a rack depending on mileage.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Cross town or long distance? If they don't fit in a RAV4 you can rent a uhaul pickup and some moving blankets for way less than a rack depending on mileage.

It’s a military move-long distance. We’ve got two kids and a cat so both cars will be packed to the brim.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Pulled the trigger on the Super Air R and had my first ride. Visibility was no different than my normal helmet, temp was a little warmer thanks to lower back of head being covered but overall airflow was excellent. Nobody pointed and laughed but still not sure about wearing it to tomorrow's group ride lol.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

nwin posted:

It’s a military move-long distance. We’ve got two kids and a cat so both cars will be packed to the brim.

So 3 bikes, no hitches, and two cars full to the brim. I'd put each one in a bike box - DIY if you have time and patience or pay a bike shop to do it. Then it'd be a few hundred bux for bikeflights or another 4 day drive (similar cost). Could you put a 3 bike roof rack on one of the vehicles?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hitch and hitch rack. depending on your vehicle you can install a hitch rack in just a couple hours and 100-150 bucks. rack might be more expensive depending on what you can find used or new.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

sweat poteto posted:

So 3 bikes, no hitches, and two cars full to the brim. I'd put each one in a bike box - DIY if you have time and patience or pay a bike shop to do it. Then it'd be a few hundred bux for bikeflights or another 4 day drive (similar cost). Could you put a 3 bike roof rack on one of the vehicles?

Could also get them boxed up to ship and then put them in the moving van

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah. If there's a bike shop you trust that's what I'd do.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Oh duh "the movers". Yeah: you box, they drive. Wouldn't even need the full foam wrap job for freight - just disassemble, protect the rd, and box up.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Only lovely thing with this sometimes is they need to check the contents before they’ll move it so sometimes they put things back in the box pretty lovely.

Worst case is when it’s not being moved directly from point A to point B…which is most of the time. They load like 4 families houses in a big truck and then it gets unloaded and loaded once again before it finally gets to your new house.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

eeenmachine posted:

Pulled the trigger on the Super Air R and had my first ride. Visibility was no different than my normal helmet, temp was a little warmer thanks to lower back of head being covered but overall airflow was excellent. Nobody pointed and laughed but still not sure about wearing it to tomorrow's group ride lol.

If anyone says anything tell em it looks less dumb than having your jaw wired shut, and then never acknowledge any criticism of it again.

If that's what you need to wear to make yourself feel safer on the bike then own it gently caress the haters.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

EvilJoven posted:

If anyone says anything tell em it looks less dumb than having your jaw wired shut, and then never acknowledge any criticism of it again.

If that's what you need to wear to make yourself feel safer on the bike then own it gently caress the haters.

Thanks! As I get older I'm slowly starting to care less what others think for better or worse. Going on a longer and hotter ride tomorrow which will be the true test of how feasible it is to use on a long hot So Cal ride.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

eeenmachine posted:

Wear whatever you want as long as you're safe and comfortable. Nice bike and I hope you enjoy riding more with your new helmet.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

nwin posted:

Only lovely thing with this sometimes is they need to check the contents before they’ll move it so sometimes they put things back in the box pretty lovely.

Worst case is when it’s not being moved directly from point A to point B…which is most of the time. They load like 4 families houses in a big truck and then it gets unloaded and loaded once again before it finally gets to your new house.

I sent a bike on a shared service with an international moving company, in a semi-rigid bike case well packed, and it came out fine. Would have used a cardboard box if I didn't have the bike box. Tape the hell out of the box, mark it fragile and hope for the best IMO.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Been dwelling on this since Friday evening.
Ordered some food for pickup and was ambling home with Thai takeout in my front basket, not riding in any hurry.
A woman on one of those Super 73 type e-mopeds blazes by. Half a block later, an older man on a cheaper ebike also zips past me.
I catch up to them at 2 red lights, and it seems like they're talking. At the 3rd light, I put it together that the woman is not welcoming the conversation.
When the light goes green, the man takes off, but she basically stays at the light, making me go around her.
The man checks his handle mirror, realizing she's not back there, and slows down to wait for her. By the time they're both past me again, I have to turn.
I can hear the woman responding in that very curt way to try to cut off conversation, unsuccessfully, like ":mad: YUP :mad:"

For a moment, I weigh what my options are:
- just keep going my way
- go ... distract the guy?
- go directly confront him and tell him to buzz off
- lamely ask the woman if she's ok

I'm 95% sure I got the interaction interpreted correctly, but it's possible I'm off base.
I don't see anything so obviously warranting intervention that I have to act. And I definitely don't want to white knight a situation she would rather handle on her own.
I'm in this gray area where I'm on the very periphery of this rear end in a top hat forcing his way into a social exchange.

Well, I didn't do anything besides stewing in whether I should have done something else.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve been in almost exactly that situation sans bikes and kinda insinuated to the girl I’d help her out of the situation and acted like she was with me and shot laser beams at the guy until he got the hint.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Nothing to do about it now, Kimbo.

More info is always welcomed, so if you’re playing the hindsight game, maybe ask if she’s ok and go from there.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“You want me to ride with you to the police station?” to her when he is in earshot.

I hate that riding to the police station if you can has been the standard saftey advice for women cyclists being hassled for as long as I can remember but here we are.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eeenmachine posted:

If a full face is what gets you comfy on the bike, wear the drat full face.

The only suggestion I'd have is getting the lid painted to match the frame.

kimbo305 posted:

Well, I didn't do anything besides stewing in whether I should have done something else.
"Hey dude/lady do you need a hand?" hasn't failed me yet.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 1, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’ve found using a bit of deception to make the problematic dude go away works pretty well. Basically just feign familiarity with the person being hassled “oh hey, you’re so and so’s cousin, I haven’t seen you in a while,” works pretty well.

I’ve also found using my whole chest to tell dudes to knock poo poo off works real loving well too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think what it boils down to is that it feels very patriarchal for me to intercede as a male. I think I'd have way fewer reservations about jumping in if I presented as female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Allowing street harassment to continue unimpeded also strengthens patriarchy