Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FF3's endgame is much like the original in that you'll probably stick to 2 Ninjas/2 Sages and your level will be 50-52. HP needs to be over 2k which shouldn't be a problem.

The Eureka bosses are straightforward.

Xande is a complete pushover at 38k. His clones are weaker but definitely gave me more trouble.

The four dark warriors range from 60-75k(!).

The bestiary doesn't list the Cloud's stats but it's probably 100k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A font mod based on Mystic Quest. Very nice.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/866169070151794718/871261506396901406/MaxiQuest.zip

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I refunded FF2 because the encounter-rate, like the rent, is too drat high. I've beaten the Souls version so I probably had more free time then. Will stick around for the SNES remasters.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Fixins posted:

I'm reading the comments about ff1. As a first time player, what classes should I choose so I don't scree myself in the end? Please tell me how to have fun lol.

If you're really, really wanting to just mix-max PR out of the gate, I'd say Fighter/Fighter/Red Mage/White Mage is probably the optimum party overall (the White Mage mostly a concession for Chaos being hypertuned in this version, since it's the only class with innate access to substernal AoE healing and Full Life- two things I didn't miss not having until specifically THAT fight.) Fighter 2's gonna be a little weaker then Fighter 1 since there's only one set of Diamond Gear but it's still gonna be better then a Ninja or a Master in the long run. A Black Mage instead of Fighter 2 is less safe and would spend chunks of the game as floor candy but would generally speed up random encounters greatly, especially since Ethers are a thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr. Locke posted:

If you're really, really wanting to just mix-max PR out of the gate, I'd say Fighter/Fighter/Red Mage/White Mage is probably the optimum party overall (the White Mage mostly a concession for Chaos being hypertuned in this version, since it's the only class with innate access to substernal AoE healing and Full Life- two things I didn't miss not having until specifically THAT fight.) Fighter 2's gonna be a little weaker then Fighter 1 since there's only one set of Diamond Gear but it's still gonna be better then a Ninja or a Master in the long run. A Black Mage instead of Fighter 2 is less safe and would spend chunks of the game as floor candy but would generally speed up random encounters greatly, especially since Ethers are a thing.

While this is correct, it should be said said it's apparently not a balance that's intended to be unfair, just... a little harsher than you might be expecting. The pixel remaster doesn't have any 'secretly bad' choices like Thief/Ninja or (to a lesser extent) Black Mage/Black Wizard in the NES original, so as long as your team looks like it's probably fairly balanced, you'll be fine.

Now, if you make a team that deliberately sucks by doing something like 'all one job'? You'll have problems. But as long as you're not playing the NES version where several stats don't work, any FF1 team that looks 'good enough' will probably be good enough.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

4 White Mages? It'll never work!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Where's our Mystic Quest remaster, Square? I wanna see what you can do with that game's soundtrack. :getin:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Cleretic posted:

While this is correct, it should be said said it's apparently not a balance that's intended to be unfair, just... a little harsher than you might be expecting. The pixel remaster doesn't have any 'secretly bad' choices like Thief/Ninja or (to a lesser extent) Black Mage/Black Wizard in the NES original, so as long as your team looks like it's probably fairly balanced, you'll be fine.

Now, if you make a team that deliberately sucks by doing something like 'all one job'? You'll have problems. But as long as you're not playing the NES version where several stats don't work, any FF1 team that looks 'good enough' will probably be good enough.

Yeah, this. I just beat the game with what is arguably the worst party built out of four unique classes (Monk/Thief/Red Mage/Black Mage) and I only had issues with some bad luck in the early parts- I only had one character who could take a hit until Bracelets started showing up, and enemies seem to swing for the back row more often then in other FF1 releases, meaning the Thief and Black Mage spent more of the early game dead they I'd have liked- and then only really had trouble again at specifically Chaos. Any team is outside, like, Four White Mages or four Masters can probably eventually get through the game without TOO much chicanery, but some parts might get a little ugly in the beginning and end.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I've got to say I'm really, really enjoying my time with FF2 so far. I wonder what the series would've looked like if they decided to continue with that game as a blueprint.

The NES version never appealed to me and I gave up on the GBA version out of frustration so the fact that I'm having a blast now is really surprising to me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What dungeon are you on?

There was a definite shift from 1-2 to 3-4 where there are more locations to visit, but few of them are quite so large.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Vichan posted:

I've got to say I'm really, really enjoying my time with FF2 so far. I wonder what the series would've looked like if they decided to continue with that game as a blueprint.

No need to wonder because that series exists and is called SaGa

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks all

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Veib posted:

No need to wonder because that series exists and is called SaGa

When romancing saga for SFC finally got translated and I found out it was another treasure trove of obtuse, non functional mechanics and ways to break the game over your knee, I was overjoyed that I had another game that evoked the vibe FF1 and 2 give off

Square please do an English release of SFC RS1 with QOL features thank you

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Didn't they make a remake of RS1 for PS2? Probably why they haven't remastered it like they have the other SaGa games.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

Where's our Mystic Quest remaster, Square? I wanna see what you can do with that game's soundtrack. :getin:

It's pretty telling that the only time they've acknowledged mystic quest even exists in 30 years is in theatrhythm, that soundtrack is badass

What could they do to actually make it worth playing though? If they did a loose remake as a seiken densetsu style action rpg or a side scrolling beat em up I would be all in for that

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Didn't they make a remake of RS1 for PS2? Probably why they haven't remastered it like they have the other SaGa games.

They did and it's hideous

The original isn't exactly a looker either but the remake is actively unpleasant to look at

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

It's pretty telling that the only time they've acknowledged mystic quest even exists in 30 years is in theatrhythm, that soundtrack is badass

What could they do to actually make it worth playing though? If they did a loose remake as a seiken densetsu style action rpg or a side scrolling beat em up I would be all in for that

I don't think its a terrible game, but its intentional designed to be kind of limited so any changed to embellish it need to make real structural changes to the point where its gonna be a wildly different title.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

What kind of ideas do people have about balance in FF1? Personally, I’d switch white magic from fighter to black belt, give pre class-change access to magic up to lvl 2/3 to thief and black belt, then maybe expand black belts post class change spell list to level 5, slightly nerf fighter’s hit rate and give white mage heavy armor (maybe with some limitations.) That should make a fighterless party more viable, and make other martial classes attractive earlier and overall more useful throughout the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What kind of ideas do people have about balance in FF1? Personally, I’d switch white magic from fighter to black belt, give pre class-change access to magic up to lvl 2/3 to thief and black belt, then maybe expand black belts post class change spell list to level 5, slightly nerf fighter’s hit rate and give white mage heavy armor (maybe with some limitations.) That should make a fighterless party more viable, and make other martial classes attractive earlier and overall more useful throughout the game.

I would add an ability to change jobs after you beat tiamat.

Thats basically it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
FFI: Can't you Haste and 5x Temper your fighter or whatever to one shot Chaos?

I played Fighter/Thief/WM/BM during my Dawn of Souls playthrough and recall that Thief hit more frequently and could use swords RM couldn't. He (as Ninja) could also Temper which is all that matters.

I'd be interested in replaying as Fighter/Monk/WM/RM.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Last Celebration posted:

That font looks nice but I have to wonder why you’d bather paring in the GBA sprites if you’re not even rolling with a Black Mage to keep the hat post promotion. I guess they look more vibrant, but also really pixely.

Their aesthetic meshes better with the monster sprites imo. Plus i've grown really attached to green thief with the bandana and blond warrior.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Heithinn Grasida posted:

These all sound good and I wholeheartedly agree with giving white mage heavier armor. Maybe also hook up thief with access to RUSE to help out as situational tanks, and bump up Monk's HP growth (not sure what it's like in the remake but NES it's nothing special) and give them the flat 4 mdef growth in both pre and post promotion. Being able to run a fighterless party without constantly fighting uphill would be nice

Giving black mage SOMETHING to do when they're not casting would be nice too. I played a romhack that didn't raise their strength or hit rate at all but gave them access to some of the weaker swords in the early game and it was just enough to let them contribute in random encounters without using charges. They didn't even come close to being able to contribute to melee like red mages or thieves, but without auto retargeting in place, it gave them the ability to clean up enemies that might be near death after a better melee took a whack at them

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Trip report: just finished 1, bestiary says I missed a few monsters but ah well, got all the chests anyway. I beat Warmech and Chaos at level 49, neither one was that challenging. Ribbons on my Master, BLW and WHW and the Knight's high stats made most of his stuff trivial, the only real challenge was when he started casting Haste and hitting for 900 damage a turn.

My experience was that from the Ice dungeon onwards, I was on auto-battle 99% of the time with Attack/Attack/Healing Rod/Gauntlet. Later on switched Gauntlet to the sword that casts Scourge.

Still a lot of fun though!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In FF1 if you can beat the ice cave you can beat the game. It was true 35 years ago its true now

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A light novel has illustrations right

Are there any images of the blitzball incident

https://twitter.com/BasedSweet/status/1059564247770976260

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hey FF3 is actually a fun and good game to play now, wow

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vichan posted:

The NES version never appealed to me and I gave up on the GBA version out of frustration so the fact that I'm having a blast now is really surprising to me.

As others have said, play SaGa games. They're pretty much the direct descendants of FF2 (one of FF2's lead designers is the main director of the SaGa series). The SaGa Frontier remaster that came out a few months ago is excellent, if you want a good starting place.

Do know they are sublimely weird games, mechanically, but that's all part of the fun. SaGa Frontier even has at least one system (the skill learning/"glimmer" system) where the guy designing it intentionally changed things just before release so that even he wouldn't understand how it works, so he could have fun playing the game too. It rules.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 1, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm at the Cave of Earth in FF1 now and the random encounters every five steps that mostly get resolved by auto-battle are starting to get a little stale, does the game's complexity move beyond this at any point?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

pretty soft girl posted:

They did and it's hideous

The original isn't exactly a looker either but the remake is actively unpleasant to look at

WRONG! Minstrel Song owns and is gorgeous.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mega64 posted:

Kawazu said in an interview recently that they’re gonna remaster RS1 and I think that it’s gonna be the original? They’re also remastering SaGa Frontier 2 and Unlimited SaGa

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

multijoe posted:

I'm at the Cave of Earth in FF1 now and the random encounters every five steps that mostly get resolved by auto-battle are starting to get a little stale, does the game's complexity move beyond this at any point?

Pretty much only the final boss of the game. There are some other boss fights where you might have to heal some, particularly in the final dungeon, but that is about it.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Kawazu said in an interview recently that they’re gonna remaster RS1 and I think that it’s gonna be the original? They’re also remastering SaGa Frontier 2 and Unlimited SaGa

Sweet! I'm interested in playing RS1 again now that it looks like some good English language guides are out there. When the translation hack came out I bumbled through 3 playthroughs using Google translations of old Japanese sites, which admittedly is very much in the spirit of how reading a guide on a SaGa game should go but I don't think I have the patience for that now

To this day I still have no idea how I got the neutral path and ended up at the village of giants in end game on my first playthrough. Being able to flat out buy fire resistance gear trivializes so much difficulty in the end game but I never managed to end up there again

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

multijoe posted:

the ice cave can gently caress you up but there's not much after that. You can do it right after you get the canoe after killing the earth fiend too, if you want to skip the volcano.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

In FF1 if you can beat the ice cave you can beat the game. It was true 35 years ago its true now

Doesnt the...rat tail temple have some difficulty? I always do it earlier then intended so maybe thats why i think that

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Fixins posted:

I'm reading the comments about ff1. As a first time player, what classes should I choose so I don't scree myself in the end? Please tell me how to have fun lol.

Just pick what looks cool.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I don't totally understand jobs in FF3. I see that having a higher level of Black Mage gives more magic uses but what do higher levels of the other jobs do?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DuckHuntDog posted:

Pretty much only the final boss of the game. There are some other boss fights where you might have to heal some, particularly in the final dungeon, but that is about it.

kaleedity posted:

the ice cave can gently caress you up but there's not much after that. You can do it right after you get the canoe after killing the earth fiend too, if you want to skip the volcano.

Much appreciated. The scenario and world map exploration is pretty cool for its age and the score has been fantastic, but if the combat is going to stay like this I might throw in the towel. Been an interesting history lesson though, does FF3 pick up the pace much or is that a bit of a faceroll too?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

MatchaZed posted:

Just pick what looks cool.

I've always ran the magic heavy group of FGT/RDM/BLM/WHM. You spend a lot of time getting rezzed early on but when it matures holy poo poo.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jolo posted:

I don't totally understand jobs in FF3. I see that having a higher level of Black Mage gives more magic uses but what do higher levels of the other jobs do?

More attacks per attack command/higher accuracy iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i just started ff3 pixel remaster and it's my first time playing ff3, is there anything particularly important i should know?