Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Tom Clancy wrote the main books, but all those direct to paperback series with his name on them were "co-written" or ghostwritten.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Aug 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

ghostwriten.

Ghost Recon. :colbert:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ding chavez

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I went to highschool with Tom Clancy's son (I was a freshman, he was a senior I think) and we were both in the theater program as techies.

he wore tie-dye shirts, smoked a lot of weed (maybe did some hallucinogens too), had long hair he dyed blond, and a massive nerd all around. I think he wore raver parachute pants too lol

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Rude way to talk about your senpai imo

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i was tickled to learn that clancys first wife was a nurse, much like the wife of his second self-insert character (the first being jack ryan), john clark.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Honestly I was pretty disappointed with the Tom Clancy episode. I thought they would talk more about his literary output instead of the impact of the Tom Clancy brand.
I thought it was entertaining but it felt like we were just getting the introduction to this guys book rather than a conversation about the whole thing. They should do a part two once hes finished with it.

And it better be a three hour marathon. This new trend of War Nerd episodes being less than two hours long is quite frankly disgusting.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

And it better be a three hour marathon. This new trend of War Nerd episodes being less than two hours long is quite frankly disgusting.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

scary ghost dog posted:

hes definitely too big of a coward to ever watch twin peaks. it would destroy his pathetic brain

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Missed the news of this is sus coming back. That is pretty cool.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's funny how much better This is Sus was than Time for my Stories.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

mcmagic posted:

It's funny how much better This is Sus was than Time for my Stories.

Yeah they were trying to cover so much content in an hour: a tv show can be huge, and I’m not going to watch 200 hours of GOT to see their takes on it, so it was like a quick summary followed by the implications on culture and then I was like “I guess I’ll take you word for it, I’m not watching Jag or whatever.”

When Felix has a specific episode to watch he can summarize it in enough detail that you don’t have to watch it.

edit: also hearing someone talk about tv shows that are good was kind of boring to me, This is Us and Legion of Dads or whatever it was called were sicko poo poo that I wanted to hear about.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
The fact that A Million Little Things is actually about 9/11 PTSD loving broke me and I need to hear it happening to Felix, too

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If magic was real and you could actually consort with demons, then we'd be completely hosed since there's nothing stopping capital from dominating the world of magick either. So it's real convenient how all of these systems of magic have to bend over backwards to handwave this problem away by claiming you have to be a woman in your estrus, or be a good person or something. Buddy, if magic only worked because of good intentions or positive will or whatever the gently caress then why are you consorting with demons and trying to cast curses?

lizard people, dear reader

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
edit: nm already got linked upthread

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

No talking about Twitter unless the show is about Twitter should be a rule for all podcasts. I’ve reached my limit today.

I don’t tell my friends about Something Awful conversations I’ve had.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TheMightyBoops posted:

i do

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

foiled again.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

I just listened to the episode that's from (80) and it was really good, just them all chatting with adam explaining how going to israel made him antizionist

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Tell ur friends how cool I am

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheMightyBoops posted:

edit: also hearing someone talk about tv shows that are good was kind of boring to me, This is Us and Legion of Dads or whatever it was called were sicko poo poo that I wanted to hear about.

Yeah, I don't really like the ones about actual good shows, including the This Is Sus ones about shows they liked (like the Oz one). I want more episodes about things like Council of Dads or A Million Little Things.

IMO Felix is much better at identifying and discussing bad and dumb things than good things. His opinions on what's good are pretty decent but nothing particularly insightful (they generally just kind of align with the views of a certain type of nerdy person), while he's very good at capturing the essence of people being stupid/bad.

edit: btw if you haven't you should watch some This Is Us just so you can directly witness the fact that Felix is not exaggerating in the slightest when he discusses that show. It is some of the most bizarre inhuman poo poo I've ever witnessed on TV.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

TheMightyBoops posted:

No talking about Twitter unless the show is about Twitter should be a rule for all podcasts. I’ve reached my limit today.

hanging out in line at the IKEA, some guy's trying to avert his glance as he sees me post in this thread

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

time for my stories didn't leave an impression. i listened to all the episodes but can't remember a single interesting thing that came up

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Looking over the shoulder of the woman in front of you in line at the gas station and seeing that big purple probation banner

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

time for my stories didn't leave an impression. i listened to all the episodes but can't remember a single interesting thing that came up

Seriously. If I'd paid for it I would be mad as hell

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I had high hopes for the Xfiles episode but they barely discussed the show and I was so disappointed that I stopped listening entirely after that

I did like the Lost episode early on though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

shrike82 posted:

i like the gossip girls one with felix getting excited about making a connection that the movie is about epstein, but that was the "free" one and otherwise...

some plague rats posted:

Seriously. If I'd paid for it I would be mad as hell

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

will is underrated in holding their podcasts together. matt and felix's other projects have been so-so - hell of presidents hasn't been great either

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I'm liking Hell of Presidents a lot though. i will never pay for stitcher but it's been way better as a spinoff than TFMS

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

I'm liking Hell of Presidents a lot though. i will never pay for stitcher but it's been way better as a spinoff than TFMS

Hell of presidents is great outside of the obnoxious use of effects.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Don't pay for podcasts, don't be like me

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It sounds like they're putting all the stitcher stuff on patreon anyways, so lmao if you paid for it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

agreed that time for my stories was pretty underwhelming, but hell of presidents is great. ive never been a fan of matts media criticism but hoo boy does that man know his history

its cool that matt doesnt go for the easy analysis of all materialism all the time and actually goes a level deeper

babypolis has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Aug 2, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Hell of presidents is great outside of the obnoxious use of effects.
chris wade is babby's first just-downloaded-Audacity producer but yeah that drags it down.

fortunately, i, being strong of will and mind, used to listen to Radiolab on NPR and so i'm immune to obnoxious sound effects in perpetuity from such horrific evil that is that show

*static white noise followed by loud ding dong*
THIS
*car tires locking up skidding and crashing into a wall*
IS
*loud cat rowling*
RADIO
*spooky dramatic synth bite*
LABS
*loud big ben clock striking gong*
TODAY WE WILL
*lightning strike sound effect*
BE TALKING
*loud firework exploding noise*
ABOUT
*machine gun fire noises*
AN APE
*soda can popping open loudly*
WITH
*10 seconds of long dramatic silence*
[multiple people talking over each other in chorus repeating the same word in a church reverberation effect]: SYPHILLIS, SYPHILLIS? SYHPILLIS!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the weird thing is this is a recent thing so not sure what's gotten into him

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

shrike82 posted:

the weird thing is this is a recent thing so not sure what's gotten into him

nah he does the same thing on chapo, its just that in hell of presidents he has free reign to go nuts with it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i know everyone hates radiolab but honestly a good 20% of the time the sound effects were good and helpful

an effect like in this unrelated video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjAqR1zICA0

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Xaris posted:

chris wade is babby's first just-downloaded-Audacity producer but yeah that drags it down.

fortunately, i, being strong of will and mind, used to listen to Radiolab on NPR and so i'm immune to obnoxious sound effects in perpetuity from such horrific evil that is that show

THIS
IS
*loud cat rowling*
RADIO
LABS
TODAY WE WILL
BE TALKING
ABOUT
AN APE
WITH
[multiple people talking over each other in chorus repeating the same word in a church reverberation effect]: SYPHILLIS, SYPHILLIS? SYHPILLIS!

*90 second long song sample*

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

babypolis posted:

nah he does the same thing on chapo, its just that in hell of presidents he has free reign to go nuts with it

yah but even on chapo, there's been a noticeable increase in his throwing in random sound clips

just take a listen to a random chapo pod from a year or two ago versus now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

THIS
IS
*loud cat rowling*
RADIO
LABS
TODAY WE WILL
BE TALKING
ABOUT
AN APE
WITH

Chris Wade listened to one episode of radiolab and its like the scene in limitless where he takes the brain pill