Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

VegasGoat posted:

Ancient Dungeon is pretty fun. It's on applab.
I've got a Vive rather than a Quest but it looks like it's coming to Steam eventually, so I'll keep an eye on it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Vib Rib posted:

How is it? I'd heard it was this really in depth and fun freeform zombie shooter with survival elements, but then I saw a video of the Survival mode and it looked like you just wander around empty streets shooting respawning zombies and that's literally the entire game. Like there was a crafting interface that was hard to use and you only have about 3 inventory slots and the range of items is criminally low but you also don't have space for them? 98% of the gameplay was just gray foggy streets and the same four or five zombie models looking to get headshot.
I was considering buying it but after what I saw it feels like I'd get more gameplay depth from just playing Return of the Rotwieners again.

I got surv1v3 hoping to play with my friend but when it came down to it I didn't feel good about recommending it to him. Like you said survival mode is literally just walking around the same map shooting dudes and looking for other stuff to shoot them with. Getting food/drink gives you an xp multiplier, levelling up gives you more backpack/storage and unlocks recipes, but as you said you don't get a lot of space to work with and using the crafting stations wasn't intuitive to me. I liked TWD's system where you shred things for components and the storage for those components is limitless(?) The melee combat is not satisfying.

The story has another map (a sewer level, of course) that I haven't gotten to yet. I find the story annoying though because there's only one character you interact with and it's just him yelling at you over the radio. I find his tone to be very grating.

I don't want to say it's a bad game but it's not a good game either. :geno:

I posted about it earlier in the thread and I was a bit more positive on it but thinking on it now I'd say give it a pass unless you really really really enjoy just walking around and shooting zombies. Hopefully they add more to it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vib Rib posted:

I've got a Vive rather than a Quest but it looks like it's coming to Steam eventually, so I'll keep an eye on it, thanks!

There's a beta version available on Itch.io here that has a PC VR version which I assume would work with Vive: https://erthu.itch.io/ancient-dungeon-vr-alpha

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Vib Rib posted:

Is there a go-to for VR dungeon crawling? Ideally roguelite or randomly generated, but it just feels like a good meaty hack and slash with some random equipment and maybe the occasional perk would blow up, and I haven't seen much in that line.
VR Dungeon Knight is the only one I knew about and that looks like it's been abandoned?

Its not hack and slash per se as its sci fi and you shoot stuff, but 'Compound' is a rougelike adventure game that might scratch some of that itch.

Also you could try out Mage's Tale and always refund it. Its an older title and not as much hack n' slash and loot driven as you play a mage and most of your loot is spell components and stuff, its also not random or roguelite, but its a pretty decent length and looks nice, and has some fun atmosphere.

I don't know if theres really been a great game to fill that niche though in general.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tea For God is a rogue-like, but the randomly generated spaces are non-euclidean and fold in on themselves, allowing for "room-scale" locomotion cross the entire game world. Helps if you have a big play space. Sci-Fi themed rather than fantasy but it's the same kind of deal.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Surv1v3 is absolute jank. You will indeed just go down streets shooting the same zombies from objective to objective. The combat isn't Saints and Sinners level but you still gotta reload and cock your weapons which can get frantic when you're getting swarmed. And I am playing with my brothers and I mean, poo poo like this makes it worth the 25 bucks for me

https://i.imgur.com/CLBAKYq.mp4

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently Valve got a patent granted for markerless inside-out tracking. If I understood the rumor mill correctly, the HMD does inside out tracking using cameras, and both the headset and controllers are littered with IR LEDs and photodiodes to locate each others relative positions. And because there's IR photodiodes, it's still supposed to be backwards compatible to LH 2.0. The photodiodes are "directional", i.e. four packed behind a pinhole, to determine the angle of incidence of the IR light.

I guess Index 2 next summer. Hopefully, anyway. I need more resolution for MS Flight Sim.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Valve got a patent granted for markerless inside-out tracking. If I understood the rumor mill correctly, the HMD does inside out tracking using cameras, and both the headset and controllers are littered with IR LEDs and photodiodes to locate each others relative positions. And because there's IR photodiodes, it's still supposed to be backwards compatible to LH 2.0. The photodiodes are "directional", i.e. four packed behind a pinhole, to determine the angle of incidence of the IR light.

I guess Index 2 next summer. Hopefully, anyway. I need more resolution for MS Flight Sim.

Sounds like an expensive solution. I'm glad they are going for something other than pure camera tracking through.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rectus posted:

Sounds like an expensive solution. I'm glad they are going for something other than pure camera tracking through.

I think I see what they're doing though (assuming it's legit, etc); It sounds like it's a inside-out version of the Lighthouse system, only the devices both emit AND track light. It should be more consistent than the typical inside-out tracking because even if the headset can't see a controller, the controller might be able to see the headset. And because it's the same principle as the Lighthouses, base stations become "merely" an extra source of light to reference from instead of the exclusive means to do so. It might even be possible to achieve inside-out full-body tracking using such a system, as trackers should typically have a good view of the controllers from someone's hip or feet if placed properly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose you'd be able to run a hypothetical Index 2 without base stations, but be able to use them as Gucci option. As far as cost, the current devices are already littered in IR photodiodes, anyway.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

As far as cost, the current devices are already littered in IR photodiodes, anyway.

The current lighthouse 2.0 capable sensor modules are pretty complex though, with individual processing units built in. Having multiple sensors in each unit will probably make them even more expensive.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The sensor point itself will be upgraded to four photodiodes for the incidence angle detection. Doesn't mean the processing units need to quadruple. Outside of light angle, the voltages/values of all diodes can be summed up and fed through a single processing unit, treating it like before.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As long as they can somehow make the new tracking things even more mechanically unreliable than lighthouses then we’re all good

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Have a look at this, guys.

I have no idea when or how this happened, but the trigger on my right Index controller seems to have broken "loose" or cracked or something? Whatever happened, the trigger sometimes gets stuck when I pull it.

Is this normal wear and tear? I HAVE had these things for a couple years, now...Guess I've been holding it too tight or something. After all,

the...panel? thing? on the back of both controllers has ended up coming sort of loose and I've been having to apply electrical tape to make sure it doesn't loosen more...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VegasGoat posted:

Ancient Dungeon is pretty fun. It's on applab.

I've been having fun with Ancient Dungeon too, although I've only played enough to get to the second strata.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I played duck season for the first time last night and I’m very impressed so far.

It’s from stress level zero, the makers of Boneworks, and it feels very boneworks-y, as in you get this creepy feeling that something is not right with the world you’re playing in. I’m only a couple of levels in, but I can tell that dog is gonna try to gently caress me up. There is also a lot of shared lore between this game and Boneworks, Which is very cool.

Anyway, the shooting, the core mechanic of the game is very satisfying, and right off the bat they give you an option to just do endless duck hunt mode, which rules.

Pre-covid I was very into sporting clays, but the course near me shut down due to covid and I just haven’t been able to get out and do it with work and family obligations, and this 100% scratches that itch.

I can’t wait to get further into the game and see what it’s about

TL;DR: duck season is real fun so far. If you enjoyed the very specific charm and spookiness of Boneworks, you’ll probably like it, and if you enjoy Duck Hunt, sporting clays or trap shooting, it’s real good for that too. It also goes on sale pretty frequently from what I’ve seen

So after playing on and off for a week, I beat the game. This is 100% a horror game cleverly disguised as a shooting game. I did not expect it to go how it did, and certainly didn't expect it to get as dark and hosed up as it got. I got the "Canon Ending". Apparently, there are 7 endings in total, and I can't imagine what I can do differently to trigger the other endings but I'm gonna try.

According to Steam, I played 75 minutes to get to the Canon Ending, so I'd call this probably an 8-10 hour game depending on how hard/long the path to the other endings is.

Another really good game from Stress Level Zero.

Things I didn't learn until way too late in the game:

1) You can watch all of the VHS tapes by throwing them at the VCR
2: You can pull the Duck Season cartridge out of the console and play the other games laying around

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 1, 2021

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think it's still one of the better VR games, the gun shooting feels great (and it convinced me that for shooting something like a virtual stock just makes it straight up better than two hand interpolation), and they did a great job of putting everything in that little area so you don't really feel the need to move around, so it doesn't feel that constricting. Really great

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Finally

https://bmbf.dev/stable

quote:

Update questmodding.com to questmodding.com/quest
Completely removed asset modding in favour of song loading mods.
Support for far more songs than were previously possible (1800+) tested.
Songs can be in multiple playlists at once.
Core mods cannot be removed in the BMBF UI - you can click Delete Mods in the tools tab and then sync to reinstall them.
Mods are now enabled/disabled/installed/removed only when you sync.
Changed to new .qmod file format for mods, which has extra features and advantages over the legacy BMBF format (which is no longer supported).
Far more reliable core mod installations (codegen should always install without issues now).
Essential core mods are now built into the BMBF APK, and do not have to be downloaded.
Configuration format almost completely changed, upgrading code added to migrate from the old format.
New endpoints added and some removed: https://pastebin.com/raw/viR5t9V8.
Added option to reload playlists folder.
Added option to prevent BMBF from being killed in the background.
Reloading your songs folder does not break your playlists (they are kept as is - only known songs are updated)

Known Issues:

Sometimes, buttons on BMBF may not be clickable after patching. Attempting to exit BMBF will then softlock your quest. To fix this, restart your quest by holding down the power button.
Thumbsticks for scrolling may not work! This will be fixed soon.

That known issue is worrying, I hope is fairly rare.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So after playing on and off for a week, I beat the game. This is 100% a horror game cleverly disguised as a shooting game. I did not expect it to go how it did, and certainly didn't expect it to get as dark and hosed up as it got. I got the "Canon Ending". Apparently, there are 7 endings in total, and I can't imagine what I can do differently to trigger the other endings but I'm gonna try.

According to Steam, I played 75 minutes to get to the Canon Ending, so I'd call this probably an 8-10 hour game depending on how hard/long the path to the other endings is.

Another really good game from Stress Level Zero.

Things I didn't learn until way too late in the game:

1) You can watch all of the VHS tapes by throwing them at the VCR
2: You can pull the Duck Season cartridge out of the console and play the other games laying around

I have a (unplayed so far) copy of the flatscreen version that I picked up on a big sale before I had a VR headset, but so far as I can tell the PC and VR versions are different programs and I don't like the prospect of having to buy the VR version separately :mad:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is a flat version? This seems like a game that wouldnt be nearly as cool or hit nearly as hard in 2D

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I haven't actually fired up the 2D version yet to confirm it doesn't have VR hidden or something, but it sure looks like they are different versions:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Has Anton ever indicated that H3VR would ever be considered a fully released "complete" game? I'm sitting here watching the devlogs about his intricate locking mechanism system for door breaching and wondering what the end goal is here. Like don't get me wrong, that poo poo is awesome and deserves to be shown off but I keep wishing for more than a couple minigames to bring all the toys into. The new take and hold map does look great though so I'm definitely going to check it out again on the test branch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

explosivo posted:

Has Anton ever indicated that H3VR would ever be considered a fully released "complete" game? I'm sitting here watching the devlogs about his intricate locking mechanism system for door breaching and wondering what the end goal is here. Like don't get me wrong, that poo poo is awesome and deserves to be shown off but I keep wishing for more than a couple minigames to bring all the toys into. The new take and hold map does look great though so I'm definitely going to check it out again on the test branch.

Its just a shooting range simulator, and everything past that is gravy. Its his tinkering toolbox to add whatever he feels like adding (see the door breaching stuff, just because he felt like playing around with VR doors) but I wouldn't hold your breath on anything in particular being added. I don't know if he'll ever call it "done" though because its just this living game that he keeps tinkering on, and if you follow his twitter he's pretty disillusioned with gamers and the game industry.

Also he's working on mostly everything by himself, so anything too major would be impractical to develop. Its actually pretty amazing how much he's managed to do, H3VR is a good example of a game that just tries to do one thing really well and is popular for that.

So there's no end goal as far as I know, its just what he wants to work on at the time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah no criticisms here at all, it's perfectly fine that it's a range sandbox first and foremost. I just didn't know if he ever talked about "wrapping up" or if he'll just work on it until he's done and then he won't anymore.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zaphod42 posted:

Its just a shooting range simulator, and everything past that is gravy. Its his tinkering toolbox to add whatever he feels like adding (see the door breaching stuff, just because he felt like playing around with VR doors) but I wouldn't hold your breath on anything in particular being added. I don't know if he'll ever call it "done" though because its just this living game that he keeps tinkering on, and if you follow his twitter he's pretty disillusioned with gamers and the game industry.

Also he's working on mostly everything by himself, so anything too major would be impractical to develop. Its actually pretty amazing how much he's managed to do, H3VR is a good example of a game that just tries to do one thing really well and is popular for that.

So there's no end goal as far as I know, its just what he wants to work on at the time.

Does he make a living with this game, or is he a CJ and doing this in his spare time?

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cowboy Mark posted:

Index help! Getting code 108 headset not detected, blue front lights. However Windows camera app shows output from the headset stereo cameras, and disabling direct mode shows the extended desktop within the headset. I have tried all the various combos of rebooting, replugging, different ports and reseating the tether. No updates or changes before it happened. Just over 1 year of usage. I will be opening a Steam ticket soon. Symptom of tether cable wearing out?

Phew! Fixed after
code:
sfc /scannow

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cowboy Mark posted:

Phew! Fixed after
code:
sfc /scannow

...huh. I wonder why SFC worked, specifically?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Does he make a living with this game, or is he a CJ and doing this in his spare time?

I can't say for sure, but I think its his day job. H3VR being one of the most successful VR games its plausible either way.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So I need some advice for a game to pick up for my dad. He likes Alyx (although he likes the exploration stuff far more than the shooting, he has a hard time reacting in the heat of the moment and doing all the stuff to reload etc) Is there anything I could get that would scratch that itch? walking around, solving puzzles and collecting stuff he's had a blast with.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 1, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Obduction?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Obduction?

Yeah 100%

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So I need some advice for a game to pick up for my dad. He likes Alyx (although he likes the exploration stuff far more than the shooting, he has a hard time reacting in the heat of the moment and doing all the stuff to reload etc) Is there anything I could get that would scratch that itch? walking around, solving puzzles and collecting stuff he's had a blast with.

Obduction, The Room, Firmament is the next game from the people who made Obduction but it's still in dev. I'm in the same boat as your dad, love exploration and puzzle but trash at action most of the time, I'll grab what I've had so far and liked

Vacation Simulator is a yes, Job Simulator is a meh. You actually get to teleport around in VS and if he likes puzzles there's a few that are self contained puzzle games I really liked

E: Mostly puzzle game recommendations here

Abode and Abode 2 are both on Steam, they're an escape room in an apartment with teleport or stick-locomotion options. I liked both because they can at times get you stumped, but eventually you will figure it out. You'll often see what Step 6 is going to be, but you just need to figure out steps 3 and 4 in the meantime and they can sometimes be a bit of a hurdle.

I enjoyed Twilight Path, but it's a bit buggy at times. It's puzzles as you get a cart along a path toward the entrance back into the mortal world. I had one puzzle that I just outright couldn't solve because it wasn't displaying some constellations no matter what I did.

Elevator to the Moon occupied an hour or so, it was pretty OK but has a terrible, TERRIBLE Schwarzenegger impression.

Floor Plan 2 is alright but you can't sit and play, too often you have to reach directly below you to pick up something you dropped.

Moss and Down the Rabbit Hole are alright but I'd recommend an office chair so you can sit and spin, they're more dioramas with puzzles but are both quite fun. Moss has a sequel coming out relatively soon.

I think the original MYST has a VR remake coming out at some point. There's already a VR version, but I've heard the proper MYST VR that will come out changes up the puzzles, if he's the kind of person to have already played and beat Myst. I haven't bothered with the VR one out now because AFAIK it's the same puzzles and I pretty much have them memorized for how often I've played the game :v:

bawk fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 2, 2021

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Your dad should play Scanner Sombre. Actually everyone should. It's always super cheap too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thanks all! I'll give these a look.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Er, nobody asked for it, but I've been having a blast with Payday 2 VR and just wanted to gush and remind people that it exists, since it is just a free mod you get with Payday 2 released with minimal fanfare and not a separate game. It's a little clunky in some respects since it's just a mod for an originally flatscreen game, but I find it very fun to play for some good shooting, as well as stealth gameplay. Best part is that since it's technically an old game, it's ridiculously cheap, especially considering the amount of content you get from it from all the heists and guns that have been added to it over the years for free or through included DLC (which is great since VR games are typically very short games). It's not just a lazy port either: you can actually do some cool stuff that you can't do in flatscreen, like aim akimbos separate directions, do manual reloads, interact with one hand while shooting with another, etc. I usually play it singleplayer but it works just fine with multiplayer. I've actually been playing it so long in VR now that I can't play it flatscreen anymore: when I started VR I never expected to get better at shooting than I would with a mouse-keyboard. Anyway, there you go, get Payday 2 for some serious bang for your buck.

On a similar note, I also find that Doom 3 BFG VR to be a great 'you might not have realized this has a great VR mod' game, with the caveat that unlike Payday 2's built in and official VR mod, this is a fan/unofficial patch. The Serious Sam VR games are also a lot of fun to play as well and are official separate games. Hmm, I guess this post turned into a weird 'flatscreen into VR mod' recommendation post. Anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah Payday 2 VR absolutely rules and is still one of my favorite VR shooters. After Alyx its the next highest budget shooter, so for that alone, there's so much high quality content since it was developed for flatscreen first. And co-op with flatscreen!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FutureCop posted:

Er, nobody asked for it, but I've been having a blast with Payday 2 VR and just wanted to gush and remind people that it exists, since it is just a free mod you get with Payday 2 released with minimal fanfare and not a separate game. It's a little clunky in some respects since it's just a mod for an originally flatscreen game, but I find it very fun to play for some good shooting, as well as stealth gameplay. Best part is that since it's technically an old game, it's ridiculously cheap, especially considering the amount of content you get from it from all the heists and guns that have been added to it over the years for free or through included DLC (which is great since VR games are typically very short games). It's not just a lazy port either: you can actually do some cool stuff that you can't do in flatscreen, like aim akimbos separate directions, do manual reloads, interact with one hand while shooting with another, etc. I usually play it singleplayer but it works just fine with multiplayer. I've actually been playing it so long in VR now that I can't play it flatscreen anymore: when I started VR I never expected to get better at shooting than I would with a mouse-keyboard. Anyway, there you go, get Payday 2 for some serious bang for your buck.

On a similar note, I also find that Doom 3 BFG VR to be a great 'you might not have realized this has a great VR mod' game, with the caveat that unlike Payday 2's built in and official VR mod, this is a fan/unofficial patch. The Serious Sam VR games are also a lot of fun to play as well and are official separate games. Hmm, I guess this post turned into a weird 'flatscreen into VR mod' recommendation post. Anyway.

People sleep on serious sam first and second encounter too.

Highly highly recommend more so when the croteam vr bundle is on sale.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Steam July data is out already:

Q2 and HTC Vive Pro 2 are up, Rift S, Index and Vive are down. Total % share increases, but there was a big (and mysterious) fall past month so we are recovering.

edit:

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 2, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Steam July data is out already:

Q2 and HTC Vive Pro 2 are up, Rift S, Index and Vive are down. Total % share increases, but there was a big (and mysterious) fall past month so we are recovering.

August's numbers will be interesting considering the Index is getting released in Australia through EB Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

People sleep on serious sam first and second encounter too.

Highly highly recommend more so when the croteam vr bundle is on sale.

Heck, the VR wave shooter is fantastic too. Yes, it's a wave shooter but it's a very well done one with fun weapons, interesting levels (mostly) and a good mix of mindless blasting and strategy.