Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Raised By Birds posted:

Also something about the People's Republic of China.

Oh poo poo you're right, I didn't even notice the Chinese flag over the bed before you pointed it out.

What the Hell does that have to do with anything? I don't think China has been mentioned once since I started posting this hot garbage, but I guess it's a thing now? Probably a bad thing, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

this poo poo's mad loving stupid

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's almost to the point you could read a completely different story in this and likely would because the intended message is incomprehensible.
almost.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Huh, has Ishida always been in the "modern medicine is poison meant to make you feel worse" group?

Because if not looks like he's slowly heading towards anti-vaxx.

e: Like I know that this maid is an evil person trying to make Uncle Sam weaker so there's always the chance that it's "No it's just what they're doing to him, everything else is fine" but that seems unlikely.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This is tangential to the comics, but I always thought "bravely refusing to take your medication" was a horrible trope in films and TV. And I don't mean the serial killer who abducted you stuffed rohypnol in your mouth and you faked him out, I mean like actual prescription meds at that. How often do you see someone cheeking it, spitting it out later, or even more iconically, dumping their entire prescription pill bottle into the toilet/sink? And it's always portrayed as bold, confident defiance. "I don't need these anymore!" or at least something about refusing to be changed or dulled by them. It's kinda worrying when you imagine what that constant imagery might do to influence people who may really need medications.
Anyway of course Ishida would use that imagery as a way of defying "wokeness".

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Vib Rib posted:

This is tangential to the comics, but I always thought "bravely refusing to take your medication" was a horrible trope in films and TV. And I don't mean the serial killer who abducted you stuffed rohypnol in your mouth and you faked him out, I mean like actual prescription meds at that. How often do you see someone cheeking it, spitting it out later, or even more iconically, dumping their entire prescription pill bottle into the toilet/sink? And it's always portrayed as bold, confident defiance. "I don't need these anymore!" or at least something about refusing to be changed or dulled by them. It's kinda worrying when you imagine what that constant imagery might do to influence people who may really need medications.

Absolutely. It totally sucks. You also see it a lot in shows with supernatural/conspiracy themes, where the protagonist is experiencing something that no one else is, and ends up forced into seeing a shrink that convinces them they need to be medicated. Paranoid schizophrenia often already gives people delusions of grandeur. It’s gotta be even worse with so many tv shows saying “you’re actually the main character of the world and all of this is super important and magical! Don’t take your meds, they’re just trying to hold you back from your incredible inheritance of power! Also don’t trust anyone around you because they’re just trying to use you for their own dark agenda!”

I don’t think I’d mind it so much if the protagonist found themself still experiencing the weird poo poo despite the meds, but somehow antipsychotics are remarkably effective at suppressing supernatural contact

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I think every time I read sinfest just trying to comprehend it makes me dumber.

It really is sound and fury signifying nothing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I liked how pharmacological therapy was treated in the comedy series Episodes: it wasn't a major part of the plot but one otherwise healthy and active person has some amusing issues with different antipsychotics until finally getting to a suitable one and getting well and balanced only to then decide, explicitly against his psychiatrist's warning to just stop. It goes pretty wild.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vib Rib posted:

This isn't related to political cartoons at all, but as someone who works in the mental health field you better believe this is something that really grinds my gears.

On the one hand I recognize that the mistrust of psychiatric meds isn't coming from a completely irrational place. Medications can be used and abused even when they're prescription, sometimes this happens because a doctor gets careless and sometimes it happens because someone is intentionally seeking them out for the wrong reasons. I personally know someone who had to deal with parents that tried to get their kid who's only problem seemed to be "being a regular kid whom the parents didn't want to bother paying attention to" prescribed Clozapine AKA one of the most powerful and dangerous antipsychotics available with a long list of serious side effects including the chance of death, which is hosed up and arguably a form of child abuse (for the record, those parents did NOT get the incredibly dangerous prescription they wanted).

On the other hand, properly prescribed pysch meds can lead to vast improvements in a persons mental health and quality of life, so it sucks that there's so much ignorance regarding it and misinformation surrounding how it works and what it's supposed to do. And it especially sucks to see this ignorance and misinformation presented as some noble truth in a movie or film and that you should just FEEL your FEELINGS because it's natural. Much like how a diabetic who's body is no longer producing insulin shouldn't take shots that allow them to live because it's not natural, or how we shouldn't treat cancer because it's something cells do naturally. Oh wait, humans do "unnatural" things to improve their health all the time, and the majority of psych meds just cause the brain to produce chemicals it should be producing anyway but isn't for some reason so they actually are causing a loving natural reaction.

I'm looking at you "Garden State", the rest of the world may have forgotten about you but I still remember you and your bullshit and I'm still pissed.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

...why would you combine these two news items? The skull/scull pun doesn't even really work, and I say that as someone who regularly makes awful puns.

Vib Rib posted:

gently caress you Mike.
More effort than my :geno: edit:

I feel that asking any questions about this comic is a waste of time, but what?? What does any of this mean? How many layers of metaphor does this dude think he's operating on? Why is he so obsessed with loving hats?

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh, has Ishida always been in the "modern medicine is poison meant to make you feel worse" group?

Because if not looks like he's slowly heading towards anti-vaxx.

e: Like I know that this maid is an evil person trying to make Uncle Sam weaker so there's always the chance that it's "No it's just what they're doing to him, everything else is fine" but that seems unlikely.

I think there were some comics last year about "happy pills." Not to mention the kids being forced to take "boy pills" and "girl pills." Pretty sure he's also presented the coronavirus as a hoax (maybe, it's hard to tell what the hell Ishida is arguing half the time) and expressed anti-mask sentiments. So I expect anti-vax arguments any week now.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

e: my bad! Actually a good Goodwyn cartoon!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fishman being scared of people with piercings and dyed hair is so quaint that I can't be mad at him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I like how the raspberry cream isn't even pinkish, but for some reason the middle frame is a very raspberry color. I think Stantis and his colorist need to have a coffee together and chat about some stuff

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

I feel that asking any questions about this comic is a waste of time, but what?? What does any of this mean? How many layers of metaphor does this dude think he's operating on? Why is he so obsessed with loving hats?

Once upon a time, Uncle Sam and Lady Liberty were married (let's not think too hard about when exactly this was, and who had liberty in America in the Good Old Days. Or alternatively, the comic portrays the American past as a white man holding onto Liberty who has sworn a marital vow to forsake all others which is pretty on the nose but doubtless unintentional on the artists' part). But then Uncle Sam got bored of Liberty and chased material things like money and hoes. Eventually this brought Uncle Sam to ruin and he was like "aw drat why did I give up Liberty for money and power and sex".

This is all being remembered by Uncle Sam who has been captured by the bad guys and kept in a childlike state with psychiatric drugs.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Trapezium Dave posted:

Personification of 2021 hasn't changed much for someone who should be pushing fifty.

Also who does the maid represent? Is she the US government, suppressing Uncle Sam (i.e. the US government)?

My guess is, seeing how China’s flag is there in the room, this is a very poor antivax metaphor. Sam (America) is being told he’s really sick (COVID-19) but in reality that’s a lie and his treatments (masks, shutdowns, vaccines) are really what is making him sick.

If it’s not that then it’s a more basic communism/China is trying to kill the United States but I feel whenever the metaphor is this tortured in Sinfest it’s because he thinks he’s being clever with a right wing talking point

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"The climate change horseman of the apocalypse rides out – Chris Riddell on the urgent need for action as extreme weather becomes the norm around the world"

Sunday Telegraph:

Rishi Sunak pushing Boris Johnson to relax travel rules

Matt:

Sunday Times:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

America no longer taking it's meds is an apt metaphor for the current state of things actually.

Oh poo poo you're right, I didn't even notice the Chinese flag over the bed before you pointed it out.

What the Hell does that have to do with anything? I don't think China has been mentioned once since I started posting this hot garbage, but I guess it's a thing now? Probably a bad thing, I guess?

I *think* it's eluding to America losing it's status in the world and becoming subservient to China. Like a child if you will.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Guys i did it

I went back in time and it turns out Ishida was making Sinfest it the 1940s.

You wont believe what his comics looked like

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hihohe posted:

Guys i did it

It's bad, but at least it's more comprehensible than his modern stuff.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ah, a fan of the classics I see.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kit Walker posted:

Absolutely. It totally sucks. You also see it a lot in shows with supernatural/conspiracy themes, where the protagonist is experiencing something that no one else is, and ends up forced into seeing a shrink that convinces them they need to be medicated. Paranoid schizophrenia often already gives people delusions of grandeur. It’s gotta be even worse with so many tv shows saying “you’re actually the main character of the world and all of this is super important and magical! Don’t take your meds, they’re just trying to hold you back from your incredible inheritance of power! Also don’t trust anyone around you because they’re just trying to use you for their own dark agenda!”

I don’t think I’d mind it so much if the protagonist found themself still experiencing the weird poo poo despite the meds, but somehow antipsychotics are remarkably effective at suppressing supernatural contact
Yeah it's exactly this, "all these weird hallucinations, delusions, and conspiracies you imagine are in fact TOTALLY REAL and you can only get to the bottom of them by not taking meds, then you'll save your family/rescue your loved one whose death was faked/obtain that power that was always meant to be yours/etc". It very quickly gets not just anti-medication but pro-hallucination! "No, I know what I saw!"

I have seen a few movies where someone turns out to actually just be mentally ill and needs to be on the medication but for every one of those there's about a hundred "the doctor's trying to drug you so you don't find out the truth!!"

Alhazred posted:

Fishman being scared of people with piercings and dyed hair is so quaint that I can't be mad at him.
Everything anyone does is just meant to get my attention. People dye their hair so I'll look at them. Women wear low cut shirts and put on makeup to look pretty for me. Everything I don't agree with is just an attention-seeking ploy.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Samuel Clemens posted:

Ah, a fan of the classics I see.

funny story, I was looking for this and i couldnt find it so i decided to make my own

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

It's just so plainly obvious, knowing the cartoonist at least, that this either:
1. never happened
or
2. sort of happened, but only because his drunk rear end stared at the person for like 15 minutes

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
3. That was Fishface at one point in college and then he gave up and sold out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Alhazred posted:

it's so ubiquitous in the states that it's a special criteria for determining whether or not someone's a baby boomer. up until a certain point, all children were brought up thinking tattoos and piercings were an unforgiveable, incomprehensible, and most importantly unhireable sin, and despite how everyone under the loving sun has piercings and tattoos these days it'll trigger a visceral pearl-clutching reaction in that demographic specifically

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 1, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hihohe posted:

funny story, I was looking for this and i couldnt find it so i decided to make my own

If anyone ever loses it, GIS "reasonable Hitler" and it will magically appear.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Surprised he didn’t reveal that the pills were estradiol or something. Because forcing gender upon a kid is definitely something transgender people want.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Pants Donkey posted:

Surprised he didn’t reveal that the pills were estradiol or something. Because forcing gender upon a kid is definitely something transgender people want.

Pretty sure something like that has been a Sinfest plot point before ("boy pills," "girl pills," Satan's company selling something called GenderRX), so I would not be surprised if that's the big reveal coming up.

Also this occurred to me-- that old grandma is apparently a witch, judging by her remark about eye of newt in the apple pie. But isn't the idea of a good witch incompatible with the other heroes being god-fearing all-American Christians? I think the comic has had heroic feminist witches in the past, but that really doesn't fit with Ishida's right-wing turn.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Brawnfire posted:

I like how the raspberry cream isn't even pinkish, but for some reason the middle frame is a very raspberry color. I think Stantis and his colorist need to have a coffee together and chat about some stuff

I'm sorry but do you have some color blindness? As far as I can see, that panel is a deep purple, which I don't associate with raspberries at all.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ScienceSeagull posted:

Pretty sure something like that has been a Sinfest plot point before ("boy pills," "girl pills," Satan's company selling something called GenderRX), so I would not be surprised if that's the big reveal coming up.

Also this occurred to me-- that old grandma is apparently a witch, judging by her remark about eye of newt in the apple pie. But isn't the idea of a good witch incompatible with the other heroes being god-fearing all-American Christians? I think the comic has had heroic feminist witches in the past, but that really doesn't fit with Ishida's right-wing turn.

I'm calling it now, this is a puberty blockers thing

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Somfin posted:

That's horrible, but it also makes the most sense. I mean it doesn't actually make sense logically, but in the context that this is a comic being written by a transphobe in which devils are keeping Uncle Sam de-aged so they can use him as a corporate mascot it makes "sense" that this is all a bizarro hot take on how puberty blockers are a tool of evil or some poo poo.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Guys i did it

Kellies nomination: Best edit/parody

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I'm looking at you "Garden State", the rest of the world may have forgotten about you but I still remember you and your bullshit and I'm still pissed.

That is a movie I absolutely loved for years, long before I actually got myself on much needed mental health meds. Related? Who can tell. Anyway, it's one I haven't gotten back to. Between that, and the whole secret video tape people having sex hotel, can't imagine it holding up great.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Somfin posted:

I think this too, but I also think we’re never going to get an explicit explanation. This is a comic where it’s impossible to determine the relationship between the two protagonists(here I mean Slick and Monique, they aren’t protagonists anymore, the whole comic is just an indecipherable morass).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ambitious Spider posted:

That is a movie I absolutely loved for years, long before I actually got myself on much needed mental health meds. Related? Who can tell. Anyway, it's one I haven't gotten back to. Between that, and the whole secret video tape people having sex hotel, can't imagine it holding up great.

This is probably one of those times where you should let the love and joy the movie brought you continue to live in your heart and not try to revisit the film in reality.

Then again, everyone has a film or two problematic films that they love despite their flaws and that's not such a bad thing as long as we're able to identify what those flaws are so maybe you would enjoy re-watching it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Zach Braff is a land of contrasts.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Broelman:

Australia's Logan Martin claims Olympic gold in inaugural freestyle BMX event (ABC).

Knight:

Warren Brown:

Kudelka:

Labor opposition leader Anthony Albanese as the dog. Bill Hayden once said a drover's dog could lead Labor to victory before a party spill brought in Bob Hawke (who then won the election). The people running Labor are "faceless men", a term which has its own Wikipedia page.

Leak, Son of Leak:

I'm guessing it's this: Beef rallies against 'absurdity' of UN food summit (North Queensland Register). "RED MEAT and farmer organisations are rallying to bring some perspective to the line-up of extreme and fanatical anti-livestock proposals seeking United Nations support at the organisation's big Food Systems Summit in Rome in September. ... "Proposals for taxes on steaks and for people to eat algae instead of meat are not only absurd, they are a danger to consumers' health." ".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm sorry but do you have some color blindness? As far as I can see, that panel is a deep purple, which I don't associate with raspberries at all.

Thank you for your concern! I was thinking of a color akin to  #872657. The middle color, while not explicitly raspberry, is a far closer approximant in coloration to something named in the cartoon as "raspberry cream" than blank white, which suggests to me the colorist is capable of making color choices more appropriate to the subject matter as outlined in the comic proper than presently being demonstrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

Oh God damnit it totally is.

:negative: