Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Roadie posted:

2e is pretty good.

Just make sure you keep in mind that it's really not a direct 3.x derivative outside of the basic idea of "roll high on d20". A lot of basic stuff around the expected math, action system, saves, etc doesn't work the same as a 3.x game.

Yeah, I'll need to read through some more of the rules and figure out the equipment rules and stuff. Honestly it's a few big things that I originally bounced off of but I can probably work around them somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Golux posted:

Yeah, I'll need to read through some more of the rules and figure out the equipment rules and stuff. Honestly it's a few big things that I originally bounced off of but I can probably work around them somewhat.

Not trying to give you the business, but feel free to talk about the things that are striking a chord with you. Just reading the books only got me so far and it wasn't until I sat down and ran a bunch of sessions that I got the nuance of some of the bits that seemed off at first. As a group, we might be able to help each other avoid pitfalls and misunderstandings.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Golux posted:

Not trying to give you the business, but feel free to talk about the things that are striking a chord with you. Just reading the books only got me so far and it wasn't until I sat down and ran a bunch of sessions that I got the nuance of some of the bits that seemed off at first. As a group, we might be able to help each other avoid pitfalls and misunderstandings.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm coming to the final 25% of a runelords run with a group of close friends, their first time with any tabletop and my first time DMing. I'm excited at the idea of jumping into 2E with Strength of Thousands whenever we wrap up. Hoping that roll20 does some sort of AP bundle that I can buy to help me out with that.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Toshimo posted:

To help with this, here's a couple of the sneakier rules implications that aren't really spelled out for you ahead of time:

• Casting generally sits at lower offensive bonuses across the board than non-casting, but has far more partial success effects, so casters are much better at consistency than non-casters but can run into trouble with boss enemies

• Pure martials are generally designed around action combos (your own abilities but also those of allies) and at the high end may be using several turns' worth of actions every round

• The various ways of getting AC and save bonuses all cap out at the same totals, it's about trade-offs in how you get there rather than maxing out your numbers

• Ways to switch which stat you apply to a thing (like the one rogue option to get Dex to damage) are much, much less valuable than in 1e, to the point of being negligible compared to working in better action combos, because of how many ability score bonuses you get over time and the diminishing returns on them

• Out of combat, you're supposed to be treating the dungeon like a flowchart where each room is a node, you declare what you're doing in broad strokes and the GM adjudicates the result, instead of things like "I search the desk"

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

couldcareless posted:

I'm coming to the final 25% of a runelords run with a group of close friends, their first time with any tabletop and my first time DMing. I'm excited at the idea of jumping into 2E with Strength of Thousands whenever we wrap up. Hoping that roll20 does some sort of AP bundle that I can buy to help me out with that.

Paizo has at least said in comments that Roll20 committed to releasing Strength of Thousands in line with the physical release dates, but it's not like there's some kind of enforcement if they fail. I think this is gonna be a pretty popular release, so hopefully roll20 sticks with it. Got close to 6 months before there'll be any kind of bundle though, first book isn't even out yet. Secrets of Magic is also supposed to come out on time, which I assume'll be required to get support for the new classes.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Arivia posted:

The Magambya (spelling faults are mine I’m on the phone) have explicitly been Druids and Wizards since PF1e, with archetypes/prestige classes specifically set up for that combination. So it’s a deliberate narrative/worldbuilding choice.
Its also set up that way with 2E too. Halcyon spellcasting basically sets up a blending between the arcane and primal in you prepare spells for each class similar to the Mystic Theurge but is easier and simpler to get working.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My understanding is that it's based on 1e and not 2e, but there's a big rear end Starfinder bundle on Humble right now if anyone needs even more poo poo to look at.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/starfinder-paizo-books

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Syrinxx posted:

My understanding is that it's based on 1e and not 2e, but there's a big rear end Starfinder bundle on Humble right now if anyone needs even more poo poo to look at.

One huge word of warning about Starfinder, low levels are boring as hell. Combat works like 1e but it has all the wild shenanigans potential stripped out, so most characters are just going to be doing literally the same thing every round of combat every combat through levels 1-4 or so.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

You can definitely see some of the ideas that would become part of 2e in Starfinder though. My group is going to try out the start of one of the adventure paths for a change of pace.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
y'all I am living for this gnoll lore in the Mwangi book

Love to see them presented as actual hyena-people with a complex society and strained relations with their neighbors instead of Chaotic Evil Wacky Whoo-Hoo Demon Worshiping Cannibals.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Would people be up for a goon game of Strength of Thousands on Roll20 or something? I'd prefer to play, but if no-one else wanted to, I'd be willing to GM. (With the proviso that I've never GM'd Pathfinder before.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

Would people be up for a goon game of Strength of Thousands on Roll20 or something? I'd prefer to play, but if no-one else wanted to, I'd be willing to GM. (With the proviso that I've never GM'd Pathfinder before.)

Time won't work out for me, but sounds fun!

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I've been strongly contemplating GMing it. The problem is I can't reliably stream, so it would need to be a Discord plus PbP sort of thing, and I'm assuming as soon as I start editing maps and nudging tokens around I'll remember why I stopped GMing.
Can you do Roll20 or something asynchronously, just to keep track of the map and handle rolls?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

zachol posted:

I've been strongly contemplating GMing it. The problem is I can't reliably stream, so it would need to be a Discord plus PbP sort of thing, and I'm assuming as soon as I start editing maps and nudging tokens around I'll remember why I stopped GMing.
Can you do Roll20 or something asynchronously, just to keep track of the map and handle rolls?

I don't understand what you are saying here. Roll20 isn't "streaming". It's a shared virtual tabletop you connect to with your browser that runs on their servers. Unless you turn on some very specific paid features, it's barely more resources than browsing the SA forums. Yeah, you can "just use it for map and rolls", but that's like 99% of playing the game, so I'm unclear about what other parts you are trying to move out of it.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Sorry, I meant I can't do reliably schedule sessions, with voice chat, at specific times each week. I could totally have misinterpreted something but my impression is that what people usually mean by Roll20 games. It's not necessarily a bandwidth thing, it's a scheduling thing. If most people use Roll20 asynchronously then apparently I've been missing out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

zachol posted:

Sorry, I meant I can't do reliably schedule sessions, with voice chat, at specific times each week. I could totally have misinterpreted something but my impression is that what people usually mean by Roll20 games. It's not necessarily a bandwidth thing, it's a scheduling thing. If most people use Roll20 asynchronously then apparently I've been missing out.

I would not say most, buy it's definitely a thing I've seen done. R20 even gives you a little private forum space for your game so you can do asynch stuff while keeping it all on-site.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Well that's neat, need to dig out my account.

Anyway I'm assuming CottonWolf etc. meant more scheduled sessions so I'll butt out, unless asynch seems fine to people.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah, I've done text-based asynchronous games on Discord using Roll20 for maps, it works

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It's actually one of the bigger advantages Roll20 has to alternatives like Foundry and one I see mentioned less than I would think given how large the gap is IME.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's actually one of the bigger advantages Roll20 has to alternatives like Foundry and one I see mentioned less than I would think given how large the gap is IME.

I can’t think of anything Roll20 does better on that front than Foundry does, you can just leave the Foundry server up and running if you want to do something asynchronous.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I would be up for trying a game. Only thing is I've never:

-used rol20
-GM'd
-played
-played a ttrpg over the internet

I've played things like 1st edition, CoC 7th edition, and a very little amount of Starfinder. I have at least read most of the book so I have that going for me.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I would be interested in an asynchronous game, but definitely not up for running one right now.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If an asynchronos game were the most realistic way of doing it, I'd be up for that!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

So Bumper Stickup, Ryuujin and myself would be up for playing asynchronosly and, zachol, you'd be up for running an asynchronos game, is that right?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Yeah, I'm currently working on a recruitment post, and on digging up my old Roll20 account. I'm planning on posting the opener either tomorrow or Wednesday, with at least a week lead time for people to digest things, and for me to read through the first part of the AP that releases Wednesday.
Most people have Discord, right? I'm wondering whether it's weird to have all three of Roll20, Discord and PbP. I'm intending to keep Roll20 to just combat encounters, with chatter and back-and-forth dialog happening in Discord.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Oh no I was looking to be a player. I am not nearly creative enough to be a dm or comfortable enough with the rules.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Is there a site that has a good character builder for PF2e that doesn't, like, have a subscription fee?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://pathbuilder2e.com/ has some paid features but you should be able to do almost everything there.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Pathbuilder 2e? Free to use, and unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean by "subscription fee," there's a one-time paid upgrade that unlocks a few variant rules, like free archetype, and VTT export functionality.

e:f;b

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

zachol posted:

Yeah, I'm currently working on a recruitment post, and on digging up my old Roll20 account. I'm planning on posting the opener either tomorrow or Wednesday, with at least a week lead time for people to digest things, and for me to read through the first part of the AP that releases Wednesday.
Most people have Discord, right? I'm wondering whether it's weird to have all three of Roll20, Discord and PbP. I'm intending to keep Roll20 to just combat encounters, with chatter and back-and-forth dialog happening in Discord.

I will be 100% in, but I'm away on holiday from the 6th to the 16th (cycling around Scotland, so no internet access). Then I'm back for the foreseeable future.

Bumper Stickup posted:

Oh no I was looking to be a player. I am not nearly creative enough to be a dm or comfortable enough with the rules.

Oh, if I was unclear, I meant you were up for playing. Sorry!

Megazver posted:

https://pathbuilder2e.com/ has some paid features but you should be able to do almost everything there.

I can't even find the option to pay for it. Is that exclusive to the Android version?

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 3, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'd also be up for a game

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pathbuilder is so good, well worth the cost of a burger. It makes keeping up with things so effortless.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

I can't even find the option to pay for it. Is that exclusive to the Android version?

In the web option you click the Menu button in the top left, then select Login and Upgrade App. I believe it's the same or similar in the Android version.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Megazver posted:

In the web option you click the Menu button in the top left, then select Login and Upgrade App. I believe it's the same or similar in the Android version.

Got it. Thanks!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

CottonWolf posted:

The web version is free but you need the Android (paid) version to import to Foundry, and I think the unpaid version only allows level 1 characters or something.

e: Looks like you can pay for the web version now too? Need to test this with the Foundry importer, I thought it had to be from Android.

I'm personally a Herolab person because it's better at tracking PFS characters but it's not free.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 3, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Is there a site that has a good character builder for PF2e that doesn't, like, have a subscription fee?

https://wanderersguide.app/

Is flat out fantastic.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The Mwangi Expanse just has so many interesting Ancestries. Spiders that can turn "humanoid" or possibly even hybrid with a feat eventually, many eyed people whose "wooden masks" are actually their faces, a shard of cosmic force that goes around with a wooden exoskeleton.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

zachol posted:

Not necessarily for you, but...

Common things I'd suggest for a new PF2 DM:
• Have everyone declare a default exploration activity ASAP, and have it inform their initiative. Check back in as needed.
• Make sure all your players have a cheat sheet with common encounter actions and/or have these actions on their sheet for VTTs.
• Make heavy use of reskinning monsters until you've got the hang of the system math.
• Familiarize yourself with traits, especially Flourish, Open, Press, Fortune/Misfortune, Incapacitation, and Splash.
• Think about how things work in a 3-action system. Consider what things are 1-action Manipulate. Giving players a bunch of "free" actions to do extra stuff penalizes those players who work within the system.
• Look over the Hazards/Haunts. You can really get some mileage out of these.
• Have the Conditions list handy, and make sure your players see it as well. A lot of encounter math is dependent on proper use of Conditions.
• Look at the rules for persistent damage. Then look at them again. It will likely come up often and you don't want to have to keep muddling through it.
• Use the Secret check system. It really does work out well when players can't rely on knowing "I rolled a 20 and this info is definitely correct", but also "I rolled a 2, so if the DM gives me a piece of info, it's definitely the opposite".
• When designing encounters, make sure you include as much terrain and miscellaneous objects as you can, without over-exerting yourself. Having things for characters to press up against of the Take Cover action, terrain they have to account for in their movement, and things that they can interact with is a fundamental assumption of the encounter system.
• Think about how you want to use Downtime. There's a lot of codified downtime systems, and if you are only using it for wizards to copy spells, it's kind of a letdown. Even if you just give your players the option to Earn Income, or Gather Information, that's something that they can use their Skills for that feels impactful.
• Learn how Raise a Shield, Shield Block, Reactive Shield, and Repair work. They are kind of expected.
• Understand how out-of-combat healing works, notably Treat Wounds. It's generally the replacement for carrying a bunch of Wands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ryuujin posted:

The Mwangi Expanse just has so many interesting Ancestries. Spiders that can turn "humanoid" or possibly even hybrid with a feat eventually, many eyed people whose "wooden masks" are actually their faces, a shard of cosmic force that goes around with a wooden exoskeleton.

I really love the elves who live in a formerly demonic city and are committed to purifying it building by building. It's a great book all round.