Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Lukeweddy/status/1421199267457241088

They let the head developer go? That's... weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
Sucks but it makes sense as part of Assmodee shuffling it over to AMG.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Owlbear Camus posted:

Sucks but it makes sense as part of Assmodee shuffling it over to AMG.

It's weirder than that. He lost his job when the license was moved, reapplied to AMG and got the job, seemingly has had it for a few months and now this.

There isn't enough to go on as to why, maybe he's at fault maybe not.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
So at this point the two guys who made and ran the game for FFG are no longer working on Legion?

Also what was the reasoning of moving Legion over to Atomic Mass Games? I’m not an expert on the industry but doesn’t FFG have a much bigger footprint and reputation in the game industry?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Nash posted:

So at this point the two guys who made and ran the game for FFG are no longer working on Legion?

Also what was the reasoning of moving Legion over to Atomic Mass Games? I’m not an expert on the industry but doesn’t FFG have a much bigger footprint and reputation in the game industry?

FFG got restructured and silo'ed hard by Asmodee. All the minis games went to Atomic Mass, all the RPGs went to Edge Studio. At this point FFG is just board and card games.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

What's frustrating is that it feels incredibly hard to gauge where things are at still. I hate how AMG is trickling out stuff on social media instead of doing distinct, clear articles and news on their website like they're doing for their Marvel stuff and like what FFG did. It just feels like they're going through the motions of putting forth FFG's work, and so still waiting on stuff like the supposed website redesign and content that is distinctly AMG developed basically makes everything feel like it's in stasis. That of course is in conjunction with sanctioned events having been (understandably) preemptively canceled for 2021, so gameplay remains down across the board outside of the diehards doing TTS and a few really specific in person events. I guess my point is just that so far I feel like there hasn't been meaningful affirmation by AMG that they're going to be good stewards of this thing.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Eddy wasn't the only one. It looks like most, if not all the people that were FFG that switched over to AMG (one way or another) are gone.

I get the feeling that once the stuff currently in the pipe is out, that might be it for the Star Wars license. I can't imagine the license fee is getting any cheaper, and the space games haven't been nearly as hot movers as they were in the past, so justifying that expense is probably getting harder and harder.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's why I bought up the Imperial Assault stuff to make sure I had every expansion. I got that vibe of the RPG line hitting splatbook saturation, and that usually means a new edition. X-Wing 2nd ed didn't seem to take off in the same way that 1st did, Armada and Legion just never really took off and Destiny is already dead. Shifting things from company to company either means a line-wide refresh or trying to shuffle legal responsibility onto an entity that can be let fail.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I was gonna wait until January to see if Legion came back locally, but you guys are really making me feel like I should dump my Imps now

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

This makes me really sad. I like Legion and hope to see it keep going.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

smug jeebus posted:

I was gonna wait until January to see if Legion came back locally, but you guys are really making me feel like I should dump my Imps now
I intend to keep playing Imperial Assault with friends. I just wasn't banking on it being easily available going forward. If you are having fun with Legion then there's no reason not to hang onto your Imps and try get games in where you can :shrug:

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

I play with my kids and friends come over for more social than competitive games. I’ll still play it obviously, just would like to see different characters out in periodically. I want Hondo dammit.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Just got one side of my starter box fully painted, so of course Legion might be coming to an end.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It seems weird to outright kill it since both Legion and XWing are good moneymaker but I do worry about incomptetence

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I get the feeling that once the stuff currently in the pipe is out, that might be it for the Star Wars license. I can't imagine the license fee is getting any cheaper, and the space games haven't been nearly as hot movers as they were in the past, so justifying that expense is probably getting harder and harder.
I'm pretty sure Luke Eddy himself was telling people in the Discord back during the changeover that Legion was quite profitable and still growing, so axing it doesn't seem like a decision even a poorly informed corporate suit would make.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Legion is doing fairly well, but X-Wing and Armada have been eating poo poo for a while now. I’m sure it would be great if the license allowed them to drop dead lines, but I would be surprised if it was worded like that, on the other hand I know it is all chopped to hell with games/board games/action figures/collectibles/LEGO/whatever the hell else all being obviously separate. Maybe they were smart enough to have the various games be their own licenses, or Lucasfilm wanted separate licenses for maximum profit.

There is a certain point where it could be selling well, but the license just makes it untenable. It isn’t like Lucasfilm is known for being a cheap license and Asmodee isn’t in it for the lulz.

I also wonder how well Legion actually is doing. All the people I know personally that are playing it have a few actual figures, but the large majority of their collections are printed. As far as it going away forever and ever, now that the rules are out and the community is established, I could see it being like the Decipher CCG where there is gently caress all official product, but a decently stable fan community.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
Lot of talk saying this is less about killing Legion and more learning what the man new about the game, getting his ideas for expansion, then get rid of him in favor of AMgs in-house developers once they got what they needed from him.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I also wonder how well Legion actually is doing. All the people I know personally that are playing it have a few actual figures, but the large majority of their collections are printed. As far as it going away forever and ever, now that the rules are out and the community is established, I could see it being like the Decipher CCG where there is gently caress all official product, but a decently stable fan community.
I never bought an actual Legion product because I don't play but I have a fuckton of random printed figures I grabbed off Ebay just for the fun of painting them. Presumably people aren't putting a whole pile of effort into making sculpts of Ewoks wearing Rebel Trooper gear for a game that nobody plays.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The simple fact that every new release for Legion sells out almost instantly is a pretty good sign that there is demand.

Honestly I think the largest impediment to growth has been the lack of stock on shelves to buy. And maybe the constant predictions that it is going to die.

Asmodee moving the game from one studio to another had nothing to do with the actual product, it was a corporate restructuring to cut down how bloated FFG was getting and to develop teams focused on one type of product.

Legion is growing as far as I can tell, even in the face of a resurgent GW and new editions of 40k. 2020 plus a studio move was always going to be rough, but new products are still coming out and there is talk of future waves and AMG logos on boxes so I don't think they are about to drop it unless the community suddenly decides to bail.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think its a bit of hysteria to just assume its dying. He was fired and then hired again, if they felt the line was untenable i don't think they'd move the line to AMG, they'd just kill it off and let the license expire (like they're doing with Legend of the 5 Rings) they wouldn't likely even bother rehiring Luke.

I think the answer is much more mundane. Its possible he's a nice guy but not a great worker or any number of issues we don't know. AMGs lack of transparency sure isn't helping (like someone said I wish they'd do full articles on reveals of new units instead of posting on social media and loving off). But ultimately its probably too early to doom spiral.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

It’s 2021. Doom spiral has been my natural state for awhile.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I would like to at least make it to Ahsoka being released. Ahsoka/Ventress would be a nice dual Operative thing.

That said I've seen Phase II Troopers have been sold out for ages but I saw some on Amazon so I picked up two boxes because I am weak.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Played a game of Legion yesterday for the first time since launch weekend. I lost and made a bunch of mistakes but we had a lot of fun. I forgot how much I miss tabletop miniatures games.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Funzo posted:

I forgot how much I miss tabletop miniatures games.

Same. It was a weekly thing for me in the before-times. Now I’m tiding myself over with painting minis sporadically. Death Troopers and Inferno Squad here, the colonial marines from the Aliens board game there…that’s my entire painting log from this summer.

I miss playing in a shop and showing off my paint jobs, drat it :smith:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Arquinsiel posted:

I never bought an actual Legion product because I don't play but I have a fuckton of random printed figures I grabbed off Ebay just for the fun of painting them. Presumably people aren't putting a whole pile of effort into making sculpts of Ewoks wearing Rebel Trooper gear for a game that nobody plays.

I was hoping for an Ewok box set for a long time just so I can field a proper Endor rebel force.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chill la Chill posted:

I was hoping for an Ewok box set for a long time just so I can field a proper Endor rebel force.
Get to ebay and buy some 3D prints so.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
If you're planning to spend more than ~200 on 3d print ewoks consider just getting an anycubic. Watch a couple videos and you know basically all you need for setup use and maintenance. Resin printers are dead easy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1435129972927123457

This bastard sucked to put together and if you just want to get it on the table I recommend compartment doors closed and just rattlecan the inside of the canopy black and ignore the cockpit. Lots of fiddly details that are literally impossible to see once it's assembled.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1435129972927123457

This bastard sucked to put together and if you just want to get it on the table I recommend compartment doors closed and just rattlecan the inside of the canopy black and ignore the cockpit. Lots of fiddly details that are literally impossible to see once it's assembled.

ive done one truck and kinda same, it's fun to paint but it just takes so loving long. got another one on the sprue and don't really have the motivation to put it together

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

StashAugustine posted:

ive done one truck and kinda same, it's fun to paint but it just takes so loving long. got another one on the sprue and don't really have the motivation to put it together

They're big models, and definitely built to be centerpiece models in an army.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What is the state of Legion atm? I quit fairly early when the only vehicles were the AT-ST and snow speeder, which both kinda sucked, and commanders like Luke would just run around decimating entire squads. Seems like the game is a lot more vehicle heavy now.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

banned from Starbucks posted:

What is the state of Legion atm? I quit fairly early when the only vehicles were the AT-ST and snow speeder, which both kinda sucked, and commanders like Luke would just run around decimating entire squads. Seems like the game is a lot more vehicle heavy now.

Legion's in a decent place, but beset by problems with the pandemic. Several releases are delayed, prices are going up as shipping costs rise.

Game state, thought, the game's pretty good, IMO. Clones and Seppys are getting a lot of attention right now because they don't have the amount of releases the GCW does, but they'll catch up quick.

As far as it being vehicle-heavy, I don't think it's heavy. Three factions just got new fun vehicles, and big toys are always kinda fun to play, but playing with a ton of them is rarely seen as optimal. The game still wants and likes troops. The Speeder did get better with some adjustments, BTW, but again, double Heavy slot lists are still considered gimmicks, more or less.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The exception to dual heavies being gimmicks is dual AATs for Separatists, that list is downright dirty in competent hands. Dual airspeeders are pretty drat good but just have some tough match ups.

The two new transports have some excellent gimmick lists tho, like AirCav Vader and Luke & Wookiee express.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah airspeeders are very good and trucks are great transport/support that may have a gun tacked on, the landspeeder is second tier but usable; AATs are nutty good and the Saber is also good but needs support in an already expensive faction, the LAAT is okay as a Vader delivery option but not great in clones since they don't have as good a payload and again points are stretched, the ATST and the GAV are kinda behind the curve

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I think people are getting a bit too hung up on the game becoming vehicle heavy. Sure, a lot of vehicles are being released, but you can't fit more than one or two into a decent list at a time.

The factions are pretty close to being on par for options now and I have a suspicion the next wave might be Mandalorian stuff for Rebs/Empire.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Painted up Del and Gideon from Inferno Squadron.
Cloth highlights are rough, but I'm pretty happy with the faces for once.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Funzo posted:

Painted up Del and Gideon from Inferno Squadron.
Cloth highlights are rough, but I'm pretty happy with the faces for once.

This legit rules. Awesome work

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hell yea! Those models are legit great, and fun to paint.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Looks like we're getting some Pyke Syndicate models. No real details, but they're painting one on the AMG stream. Sounds like we'll get details during the Legion Dev updates on Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Sounds like they're adding a mercenary faction that can also be integrated with existing factions