Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'd say the only really bad arc in Doctor McNinja is the McNinja Burger, but it lays the groundwork for so much payoff later. Also it has the single best throwaway gag in the comic.

King Radical: (walks in, incensed about this 'burger makes you fart' nonsense)
Bonald McRonald: Oh no. He's here. The Burger King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ditocoaf posted:

I try to describe it in these terms. It's as if Chris Hastings took it as a challenge to write a fully satisfying and worthwhile comic in a setting constructed entirely out of what should be the thinnest jokes imaginable, and somehow succeeded with flying colors. It's drat impressive.

See also 'Gwenpool.'

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

GlyphGryph posted:

In Wilde news - I wonder what specifically Oscar is freaking out about here. There's so many possibilities!

Is it:

1. That Sheol is powerful and teleports and could now be anywhere, and now he will want to kill Cliff too, and he didn't ACTUALLY get stomped into smoke
2. That Clifford just lost the shroud keeping him safe specifically from beings like this
3. That Sheol is specifically looking for an "interesting person" so as to steal their soul, and might now realize he has two interesting people here.
4. Oscar had some sort of plan??
5. Something completely unexpected
6. All of the above (except 4, obviously)4

Primarily I think it's that Cliff is now in danger. And that Cliff has put himself in danger to save Oscar. Again. Which he doesn't like and the bear doesn't like.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

shirts and skins posted:

Naw Mcninja was good from the get go. Remember, it started as a one off project (an art school assignment iirc?) that people liked enough for him to keep doing. One of the arcs before he brought on a colorist is Dracula's moon base, which may be the best part of the whole thing.

It was a joke comic he did for a Something Awful art contest, then he decided to keep it going as webcomic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

shirts and skins posted:

Naw Mcninja was good from the get go. Remember, it started as a one off project (an art school assignment iirc?) that people liked enough for him to keep doing. One of the arcs before he brought on a colorist is Dracula's moon base, which may be the best part of the whole thing.

The literal pirates vs. ninja chapter at the beginning was pretty bad even at the time and has not improved with age, but thankfully it's sandwiched by solid stuff

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Primarily I think it's that Cliff is now in danger. And that Cliff has put himself in danger to save Oscar. Again. Which he doesn't like and the bear doesn't like.

On the other hand who among us, given the chance and ability, wouldn't goomba-stomp a great evil?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

There are some points where Dr. McNinja loses its momentum and you feel the monkeycheese, but I don't think there's a bad storyline. I particularly love the crazy tennis island, especially an extremely annoyed McNinja producing an Ace bandage to fix a twisted ankle just in time for Hortense to shoot him in the knee

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
This is probably a good time to mention a webcomic that I only started following, Emmy the Robot by Dominic Cellini. It’s only been running for a little over a year now. It follows a robot nanny, or Nandroid, named Emmy as she serves the Delaire family. In terms of art and writing it is cutesy and twee (although I still like it) but readers (myself included) have noticed a sinister undercurrent to the comic. The entries on the WMG page on TV tropes go into it better than I could.

In the current storyline for example, Emmy’s hand seems to be malfunctioning during Madeline’s (the girl Emmy takes care of) birthday party. I keep waiting for something horrible to happen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I should reread Dr. McNinja sometime. I don't think I've ever just gone through the entire run after it ended.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"Stupid ideas taken very seriously: Dr. McNinja"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clown Corps has a shocking reveal.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah and this is reframing that first chapter in some peculiar ways.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Plankhandles posted:

So, I've been out of the Webcomics Reading Business for a few years and wanted to dive back in as a way to wind down at night. I've been keeping an open mind and reading at least a few pages of everything I've chosen to click. As with all things there are a lot of duds, a good amount of middling work, and a few gems. Not very many things have really taken me by surprise... Except for, of all things, a sparkledeer comic I stumbled across. If someone had told me two weeks ago that I'd read through the archive of something like this, I'd have called them nuts. But the art is really gorgeous, and I couldn't help taking my time to enjoy the colors, the environmental designs, the effects. The characters are a little flat, but the worldbuilding and plot (which finally hit, after 100+ pages) have the potential to be fun as they grow. It's http://goldenshrike.thecomicseries.com/ for anyone who's interested.

But it got me wondering: What are some webcomics that have caught you by surprise? Ones that left you reading longer than you would have expected. I'd really like to expose myself to new works and I'm hoping this is a good way to find some that are worthwhile!

habituallyred posted:

Hitmen For Destiny

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah honestly a lot of Thorsby's body of work has been, like. Great. He's got a good grasp of using MSPaint after all of these years and while it's not the prettiest work in the world, he knows how to use it as a medium for his works, which are uniquely his own creations and an equal mix of silly and intricately considered.

Also I'd put forth Please Forgive Me!!!. I read all of It Hurts!! in a binge and while it was generally alright it didn't super grab me and I don't think a lot of the tone served its purposes very well. PFM's a very solid sequel work that, while I wasn't sure what to expect from it, ends up going in a direction that I think works a lot better than IH did.

I also really like how Broodhollow starts with a flashback and then plays with that starting point in an interesting way. Also Starslip. Straub's got a good handle on plotting in a way that kind of sleight-of-hands into a different story but it feels organic. Also in Starslip he really plays with how hosed up time police can be.

Caught me by surprise in a bad way: thanks Hussie for writing Starlight Calliope because it helped me understand that you can in fact write a protagonist who is so stupidly naive that the rest of the comic having people with brain cells can't compensate for having a boring dumbass for a hero.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GlyphGryph posted:

In Wilde news - I wonder what specifically Oscar is freaking out about here. There's so many possibilities!

Is it:

1. That Sheol is powerful and teleports and could now be anywhere, and now he will want to kill Cliff too, and he didn't ACTUALLY get stomped into smoke
2. That Clifford just lost the shroud keeping him safe specifically from beings like this
3. That Sheol is specifically looking for an "interesting person" so as to steal their soul, and might now realize he has two interesting people here.
4. Oscar had some sort of plan??
5. Something completely unexpected
6. All of the above (except 4, obviously)4

You’re overthinking it

It’s simply that Oscar grasps they’re out of their league here

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I do think it's unintentionally hilarious that the multiple Broodhollow attempted reboots/restarts seemed to be taking place during a time loop plot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It'd probably shock me a lot more if I could remember who ....Oats.... was.

girl dick energy posted:

I do think it's unintentionally hilarious that the multiple Broodhollow attempted reboots/restarts seemed to be taking place during a time loop plot.

It has successfully restarted several times, but we keep forgetting.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

The_Other posted:

This is probably a good time to mention a webcomic that I only started following, Emmy the Robot by Dominic Cellini. It’s only been running for a little over a year now. It follows a robot nanny, or Nandroid, named Emmy as she serves the Delaire family. In terms of art and writing it is cutesy and twee (although I still like it) but readers (myself included) have noticed a sinister undercurrent to the comic. The entries on the WMG page on TV tropes go into it better than I could.

In the current storyline for example, Emmy’s hand seems to be malfunctioning during Madeline’s (the girl Emmy takes care of) birthday party. I keep waiting for something horrible to happen.

I just had surgery on my arm last week, but I enjoyed this enough that I had to make the slow effort to one-handedly type out that I love everything about this! The cuteness and wholesomeness with a simultaneous sense of dread is spot on. I like the art too! A+ would recommend.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

girl dick energy posted:

It's been a while since I read Broodhollow but wait what does this mean

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

It'd probably shock me a lot more if I could remember who ....Oats.... was.

Binky's partner.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Binky's partner.
And also the clown McBell saved the life of when the car she was being transported in got rpg'd in chapter 1. Which, as people have alluded to, gets even more interesting considering that was done by the guys Oates is working for.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Binky's partner.

Not his partner, that's Mustard. Oats is a trainee, in her first week at the start of the story. After McBell saved her life, Oats had been prodding Binky for updates on how she was getting along. She was also one of the few people he told about the raid on the peanut factory, so a lot of people saw this coming.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Twenty Four posted:

I just had surgery on my arm last week, but I enjoyed this enough that I had to make the slow effort to one-handedly type out that I love everything about this! The cuteness and wholesomeness with a simultaneous sense of dread is spot on. I like the art too! A+ would recommend.

Glad to hear that you liked it! I hope your arm feels better!

Of course a day after posting my original comment, something terrible does happen.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'd like to also recommend Dr. McNinja. It shouldn't work. It's absolutely ludicrous in concept. And it not only got better as it went along and developed an interesting cast of characters, but it retained all the completely off the wall dadaism it started with. The denouement is loving magical. :allears:

Also, there is never going to be anything cooler than surfing a Dracula robot from orbit to ground.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

I'd like to also recommend Dr. McNinja. It shouldn't work. It's absolutely ludicrous in concept. And it not only got better as it went along and developed an interesting cast of characters, but it retained all the completely off the wall dadaism it started with. The denouement is loving magical. :allears:

Scream, Dracula. Scream.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

The_Other posted:

Oh yes, I'm only a few pages in and already it's giving me that zeerusty 50s failed utopia vibe that I've been missing since Venture Bros ended.

Plankhandles
Oct 11, 2012

fun hater posted:

The Yaoi Wisher Chronicles

You know what? I have not stopped thinking about this since I saw your comment days ago. Can't believe you'd cast a hex like this, cursing me to wander this world with questions unanswered until the end of time.

For everyone else: Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely check out Hitmen for Destiny and Emmy the Robot. Doctor McNinja was something my pals used to read in high school, and I haven't thought about it in a decade. Crazy to think how long-running some of these webcomics were/are, and how many of them have staying power like that.

And now, with my mind on old webcomics, I'm fondly remembering Alien Loves Predator. It was one of the first webcomics I can remember reading every week, never missing an update. Just so simple, charming, and funny. On the 0.00% chance any of you never read it, I'd recommend checking it out.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Plankhandles posted:

Alien Loves Predator.

I was just thinking about this the other day. It had a really good sense of humor, and the photo comic style made people like me that can't draw to save their life feel a little better lol. It was pretty fun!

The_Other posted:

Glad to hear that you liked it! I hope your arm feels better!

Of course a day after posting my original comment, something terrible does happen.

Thanks! And dang yeah, the aftermath from this has me worried, but, it was definitely coming, foreshadowing would be an understatement. It looks like a once a week update schedule but I don't see what day it is if there is a usual one? Or is it a "regular but no specific day" sort of thing?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Read Dr. McNinja

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Twenty Four posted:

Thanks! And dang yeah, the aftermath from this has me worried, but, it was definitely coming, foreshadowing would be an understatement. It looks like a once a week update schedule but I don't see what day it is if there is a usual one? Or is it a "regular but no specific day" sort of thing?

"regular but no specific day" seems to cover it. Cellini seems to update the comic once or twice a week.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Antigravitas posted:

Read Dr. McNinja

I use "Oh, I am going to DEVOUR that sonofabitch" all the time when I get mad.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
For me, the top moment of Dr. McNinja was when McNinja called down Dracula's moon laser to free the ultimate diplomat and bring peace to humans and dinosaurs in the future.

"They don't usually like the laser"

e: which of course was immediately preceded by Chuck Goodrich sacrificing himself so that the Nasaghast would finally destroy the Horrorsaurus, saving the last of the giant lumberjacks to turn the tide in the battle between humans and dinosaurs.

god I loved that comic

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 2, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That arc has some of my favorite moments and alt text. "I love that multiple people guessed that [the ultimate diplomat] was Barney."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The NASAghasts are legit one of the coolest/creepiest monster designs I've ever seen and all they are is space suits with skeletons inside

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Though I think my favorite scene in the entire comic is when Franz gets the upper hand by making a ton of cheap, weak clones of Dr. McNinja and setting them on himself in order to weaponize the Inverse Ninja Law to weaken the Doc.

Equally great is how Dr. McNinja counters this strategy, by invoking buddy action movie tropes and fighting with Franz against the clone army.

That, or the end of the But Why A Gorilla arc? :3:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 2, 2021

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

The_Other posted:

"regular but no specific day" seems to cover it. Cellini seems to update the comic once or twice a week.

Thanks!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

The NASAghasts are legit one of the coolest/creepiest monster designs I've ever seen and all they are is space suits with skeletons inside

Chris Hastings draws some sweet skeletons, death as a maitre d' looks legit pretty creepy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The way the very last fight was won by hitting the guy with Dracula, fangs first, in order to turn him into a vampire, and then hitting him with the Pope tickled me.

Plankhandles
Oct 11, 2012

Say, even the old pages are pretty funny. Thanks for shaming me into finally reading Doctor McNinja.
(And thanks for spoiler tagging beats from a comic that ended years ago and has been around for nearly two decades. :shobon: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I always thought Junti's arc in Vattu was pretty boring but I have been proven wrong