Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

JBP posted:

I'm banging through these. Great models. Glad I went with an easy scheme for once I'm having a great time.

That scheme is simple but really striking, nice work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I love the Kruleboyz models but holy poo poo there are so many hard to reach nooks and crannies in these models, especially when you are painting the skin

there were 4 models I attached the shield on because I thought it was too big of a piece to have separate but i'm regretting every second of it and will not be repeating that mistake next time

the model that I'm most dreading though is the shaman, because holy poo poo is there a lot detail in hard to reach places on that thing, like the belly plate with the face on it thats very deep in his robe

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My girlfriend was complaining about having to put that guy together in the first place. We ended up with two Dominion boxes somehow and she decided we are only going to have one shaman because she doesn't want to deal with the second one.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

JBP posted:

I'm banging through these. Great models. Glad I went with an easy scheme for once I'm having a great time.

How're you gettin' em so shiny

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

I love the Kruleboyz models but holy poo poo there are so many hard to reach nooks and crannies in these models, especially when you are painting the skin

there were 4 models I attached the shield on because I thought it was too big of a piece to have separate but i'm regretting every second of it and will not be repeating that mistake next time

the model that I'm most dreading though is the shaman, because holy poo poo is there a lot detail in hard to reach places on that thing, like the belly plate with the face on it thats very deep in his robe

Anything with a shield, I just paint that arm separate now; I can't deal with poo poo like that anymore. Doing the Blood Knights recently, I've been usually doing them in parts of like, max 3: general body + horse, the rider's head, and the shieldarm.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

How're you gettin' em so shiny

Vallejo Metal Color pale burnt metal through airbrush. Then I lazily do some nuln oil gloss. I need to clean these up a bit but the metal color range really takes a lot of effort out of proceedings.

I thought about blasting on some colours or preshading the armour, but the metal has a bit of interest in it naturally and covered everything really densely on my test model. They're super cool when you put them in interesting light.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
skitarii made me realize people gotta normalize just not painting parts of the model that nobody will ever actually see unless they're specifically looking for it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

skitarii made me realize people gotta normalize just not painting parts of the model that nobody will ever actually see unless they're specifically looking for it.

Also I'm dealing with this painting 8th edition Space Wolves, I assembled them before priming since I don't yet have the convenience of an airbrush to easily prime in sub assemblies, nor did I have any brush-on primer, and now I'm realizing there was tons of unseen nooks and crannies the spraycan couldn't reach, and that kind of both makes me grumpy, but also makes me go "welp, who cares, no one is going to be judging my units that closely"

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I've had this experience with my Kharadron Overlords recently.

You're so god damned focused on this mini at a distance that makes an area behind the weapon seem like Tasmania, when in reality, it's going to spend it's life at least a metre away from the critical eye and it really doesn't matter.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DrDraxium posted:

I've had this experience with my Kharadron Overlords recently.

You're so god damned focused on this mini at a distance that makes an area behind the weapon seem like Tasmania, when in reality, it's going to spend it's life at least a metre away from the critical eye and it really doesn't matter.

If my brain gets out of the "who gives a poo poo" zone for painting I find that's when I have long lulls in doing anything at all. Meanwhile if I can smash out minis and just go "cool!" I keep on painting frequently. I've done enough edge highlighting for one lifetime.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I realized that while painting the belly of a horse and looking at the other 14 unpainted ones.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm halfway through the Dominion novel and man, Stormcasts are dicks to everyone else. The Knights Excelsiors particularly are full-on fascists who'll execute you gruesomely if they even remotely doubt your faith in Sigmar (and the book makes it clear that simply disagreeing with them is sometimes enough). They didn't strike me as such in the Soul Wars series, from what I remember they were more... well, good.

Are they making the SCE more like 40K's Imperium or has it always been like this?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Depends on the Stormcast Host as I recall. The ones Hamilcar belongs too are pretty chill for instance while there others who are insane zealots.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Furism posted:

I'm halfway through the Dominion novel and man, Stormcasts are dicks to everyone else. The Knights Excelsiors particularly are full-on fascists who'll execute you gruesomely if they even remotely doubt your faith in Sigmar (and the book makes it clear that simply disagreeing with them is sometimes enough). They didn't strike me as such in the Soul Wars series, from what I remember they were more... well, good.

Are they making the SCE more like 40K's Imperium or has it always been like this?

That’s just generally the Knights Excelsior’s thing. Hallowed Knights and Anvils of the Heldenhammer are considerably nicer but the Knights Excelsior are the loving worst.

E: the…ugh, the total war guys are also awful. Celestial Vindicators?

But then you have like the Astral Templars who basically are Vikings partying all the time.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cooked Auto posted:

Depends on the Stormcast Host as I recall. The ones Hamilcar belongs too are pretty chill for instance while there others who are insane zealots.

Mors Rattus posted:

That’s just generally the Knights Excelsior’s thing. Hallowed Knights and Anvils of the Heldenhammer are considerably nicer but the Knights Excelsior are the loving worst.

Ah, ok. Still weird that the fascists are the ones that 'protect' the cities. The book make it sound like they kill a lot of innocent people 'just in case' they're Chaos agent.

As for the Anvils, they just dropped a cliff on a big Orruk army and a few hundreds Freeguilds Soldiers because it was faster than way so I guess that's better but not a whole lot. Jeez.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Each city has a different Stormhost protecting them. Excelsis got the bad luck to have a lovely one, and the,locals are specifically noted to be terrified of them. Their work explicitly has helped Chaos in the past, even as recently as BR: Kragnos.

E: wait, the anvils did what

That’s. New

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

dragons ahoy

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The addition of dragon cavalry to the Thunderstrike range is kinda maybe Primaris-ing the old Stormcast. Moving from dumpy potato men and lizards in lego armor to things with proportions that replace them in function.

Someone's going to love the tilting plates, I guess.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Holy gently caress, just when I thought they couldn't make cooler dragons they did it anyway.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah, those dragons look pretty great.

I might end up buying the big one previewed last week and a this dragon cavalry, even though I don't actually play AoS.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Love them! Now I want a full dragon army to go with my two Stardrakes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

flaming sword dragonrider is so loving sick

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

On one hand dragon riding knights are the most generic fantasy poo poo imaginable and I like it when AOS is a bit more out there.

On the other hand, dude, dragon riding knights, that is loving sick bro. :dong:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

Each city has a different Stormhost protecting them. Excelsis got the bad luck to have a lovely one, and the,locals are specifically noted to be terrified of them. Their work explicitly has helped Chaos in the past, even as recently as BR: Kragnos.

E: wait, the anvils did what

That’s. New

No it was the Hammers of Sigmar, who have always been in the more grey Stormhosts. Aka normally pretty heroic and inspiring, but their membership have died more then any other Stormhost so it's members tend to be the farthest down losing their humanity. Plus they tend to be obsessive with proving themselves.

Furism posted:

Ah, ok. Still weird that the fascists are the ones that 'protect' the cities. The book make it sound like they kill a lot of innocent people 'just in case' they're Chaos agent.

As for the Anvils, they just dropped a cliff on a big Orruk army and a few hundreds Freeguilds Soldiers because it was faster than way so I guess that's better but not a whole lot. Jeez.

As mentioned it was the Hammers, and I believe that rockslide was partially an accident, the Mage just did not feel too guilty cause as mentioned he was in a hurry. (And he is rightfully called out on it.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 2, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Talas posted:

Love them! Now I want a full dragon army to go with my two Stardrakes.

Apparently you can do a full dragon army according to that article.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This stormcast army is going to cost me a lot more money than I had envisioned, isn't it...

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Despite being one of the odd sorts who actually liked the Dracothian Guard landlocked dragons I think those new dragon riders blow them out the water.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MonsterEnvy posted:

No it was the Hammers of Sigmar, who have always been in the more grey Stormhosts. Aka normally pretty heroic and inspiring, but their membership have died more then any other Stormhost so it's members tend to be the farthest down losing their humanity. Plus they tend to be obsessive with proving themselves.

As mentioned it was the Hammers, and I believe that rockslide was partially an accident, the Mage just did not feel too guilty cause as mentioned he was in a hurry. (And he is rightfully called out on it.)

Ah, thank you for correcting me. And don't get me wrong, I think the novel is pretty good, it's just that I was surprised by how darker it is compared to the other SCE novels I've read. If these Stormhosts are known for that it makes sense. Ghur and Excelsis really sound like some of the worst Sigmar's cities to live in a citizen.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, the Knights are literally the worst stormhost, bar none, and Ghur’s basic trait is “everything is trying to kill and eat everything else.”

There’s just also a bunch of Stormhosts who are legit really good people who would never do that poo poo. Just, they’re not in Ghur.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Furism posted:

Ah, thank you for correcting me. And don't get me wrong, I think the novel is pretty good, it's just that I was surprised by how darker it is compared to the other SCE novels I've read. If these Stormhosts are known for that it makes sense. Ghur and Excelsis really sound like some of the worst Sigmar's cities to live in a citizen.

Ghur is the Realm of Beasts, and Excelsis is currently in a bad state from Broken Realms Kragnos. They were back to back hit by a Skaven Incursion, Slaaneshi cults led by powerful Daemons, crazy radicals influenced by the Slaaneshi cult who were murdering Aelves, and mages, and forcing them out of the city. And lastly a siege by Waagh! Gordrakk the biggest Waagh! in centuries, that involved a god smashing down the wall at one point.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
That dragon vs horses video on warcom was narrated by Steve Joll right ?
I knew him a bit from 40k and went mad hearing his voice. The Guy gets around.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
All I need to know about AoS fiction is if any authors have gotten away with the very obvious joke that presents itself when a Sequitor is killed

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ghur is the Realm of Beasts, and Excelsis is currently in a bad state from Broken Realms Kragnos. They were back to back hit by a Skaven Incursion, Slaaneshi cults led by powerful Daemons, crazy radicals influenced by the Slaaneshi cult who were murdering Aelves, and mages, and forcing them out of the city. And lastly a siege by Waagh! Gordrakk the biggest Waagh! in centuries, that involved a god smashing down the wall at one point.

Yes I've read the BR Kragnos book (I play Ironjawz so I love all that stuff going on right now). I'm not very clear though if Dominion takes place before or after? I think after but so far the book hasn't mentioned the event at all so I'm not sure.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dragons should be their own army fight me

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Furism posted:

Yes I've read the BR Kragnos book (I play Ironjawz so I love all that stuff going on right now). I'm not very clear though if Dominion takes place before or after? I think after but so far the book hasn't mentioned the event at all so I'm not sure.

After it's been a few years.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MRLOLAST posted:

That dragon vs horses video on warcom was narrated by Steve Joll right ?
I knew him a bit from 40k and went mad hearing his voice. The Guy gets around.

According to Google, it's Steve Conlin (James Workshop.)

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, the Knights are literally the worst stormhost, bar none, and Ghur’s basic trait is “everything is trying to kill and eat everything else.”

There’s just also a bunch of Stormhosts who are legit really good people who would never do that poo poo. Just, they’re not in Ghur.
The Astral Templars are usually from Ghur and they seem pretty chill.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Talas posted:

The Astral Templars are usually from Ghur and they seem pretty chill.

Yeah but for some reason they’re not fielded there.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Getting a vibe that these dragon riders being battleline are going to make 90% of SCE lists obsolete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Getting a vibe that these dragon riders being battleline are going to make 90% of SCE lists obsolete
Maybe not if the rules are bad, but there's always the rule of cool and these models are cool.