Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I am curious on how you keep territory to your direct heir.

I like to play as Wessex, and I really want to keep Lunden and a few other useful territories like Stonehenge on succession. Everything else I literally don't care about as far as partition goes.

But I keep having boys so the inheritance keeps ruining me on succession. I figured I'd rush high crown authority but that just caused a massive civil war I couldn't win.

Obviously some succession change but that takes research. still, Any advice?

Start granting some of the stuff you don't want to the kids you want to inherit it.

There is no system for determining which kid gets what beyond the primary heir receiving preferential reception of your primary title and capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Operant posted:

I had an insane game where I was king poo poo of Italy except the plague passed through my court from a visitor, killing my king at 23, his heir at 2, then his brother, this dissolved my kingdom into civil war as my 2 year old dying of plague had no ability to keep the country together. I then played as my original king's obese alcoholic mother, who took the throne at 60, lived until the ripe old age of 88 and reunited the kingdom with a swathe of bloody conquest, murdering absolutely every single rebel in her dungeons.

Probably the most fun I've had with the game.

FYI if plague patient 0 isn’t like your heir, just boot them out of the court

megane
Jun 20, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

My kingdom automatically shifted into the early medieval at a set date (1005), I guess it must be preset for each culture.

When a culture has a certain number of techs from era X, there's a delay of like 20 years (there's a bar on the tech screen) and then they move to era X+1. I don't know of any other ways to change eras but there might be some.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Excommunication should be less common and more impactful.

I rule everything from Lisbon to Florence, went crusading as young man and I haven't done anything more offensive than have a bastard child with a lover and ask the pope for money. The bar needs to be higher than that. The clergy ignored that poo poo when it was the high nobility doing it.

And if you do get excommunicated, the penalty needs to be way higher than -20. And there has to be a remedy to the excommunication. The pope should have something he wants me to do. Give him land, money, pass some law, stop some heretical practice, abdicate, etc. Or I can declare war on him and depose him.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You can ask to be re-communicated by the Pope, in exchange for cash.

But yea it should really be more impactful. Generally your liege will try to imprison you which is good, but I've never seen vassals get pissy, and they really should.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i really feel proper excommunication should immediately invoked two or three existential wars, incl. claimant and independence wars backed by foreign powers

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

My gist is that it was also kind of a wet fart in actual history. I'm too lazy to contribute much in the way of research but I did find this Quora link which is consistent with my gist and must therefore be top-quality scholarship: https://www.quora.com/A-lot-of-medi...-this-situation

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Steely Dad posted:

My gist is that it was also kind of a wet fart in actual history. I'm too lazy to contribute much in the way of research but I did find this Quora link which is consistent with my gist and must therefore be top-quality scholarship: https://www.quora.com/A-lot-of-medi...-this-situation

There are some famous cases where that was not the case though, so how do you program that into the game system?

Maybe the Pope gains a High Medieval innovation that allows him to enforce powerful excommunications and then have a Late Medieval innovations that secular rulers can gain which badly weakens that?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I vaguely remember in CK2 the pope could ask you to do things in exchange for un-excommunication. Pay x amount, declare war on y, conquer z province. Wait, as I'm writing this it seems that was if you wanted him to crown you. But might work for excommunication too.

I also seem to remember the HRE had a penchant for putting up anti popes, that mechanic should come back too.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Start granting some of the stuff you don't want to the kids you want to inherit it.

There is no system for determining which kid gets what beyond the primary heir receiving preferential reception of your primary title and capital.

I tried this in my game but it looks like that kid would get the original stuff plus this new county, which is worse. Does this have to be done at the highest level? Meaning I should have given him a duchy not a county? I’m a king.

This is just going on the succession tab, maybe it doesn’t process until it happens?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Also, it's dumb that vassal kings for an emperor of the same dynasty don't count for renown. How does that make sense?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Charlz Guybon posted:

Also, it's dumb that vassal kings for an emperor of the same dynasty don't count for renown. How does that make sense?

Nepotism doesn't impress anybody.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Serephina posted:

Nepotism doesn't impress anybody.

Feudalism is all about nepotism.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

A king who is a vassal is no real king, they're just an administrator with a fancy hat.

Dec 30, 2008
I agree that the renown system is pretty limited right now in that it makes trying to be the Habsburgs seem like the only viable playstyle for earning dynasty legacies. It's cool that there's more of an incentive to play that way than there was in CK2, and I find it works very well if you're playing a major religion. But in my pagan games where the standard playthrough involves uniting all the tribes under a reformed religion and then invading all of the heathen lands, there really aren't any opportunities to earn extra renown. In those situations I've ended up setting up renown batteries by giving kingdoms to relatives and then granting them independence, which is a bit silly and doesn't feel like something I should be encouraged to do.

It seems like there are more opportunities to earn renown in the upcoming DLC through certain cultural traits and such, so hopefully this is something which is gradually fixed as the game expands.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

There are a number of special buildings in various counties that give a bonus +5% renown. If you can get your dynasty holding several of them, it adds up quickly. Most of them are holy sites, but there are a few like Aachen, Giza, or Delhi that can be held by a ruler of any religion.

If you make a play for them specifically, it's not hard to get +20-30% bonus renown on top of what you're already making.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

pidan posted:

I vaguely remember in CK2 the pope could ask you to do things in exchange for un-excommunication. Pay x amount, declare war on y, conquer z province. Wait, as I'm writing this it seems that was if you wanted him to crown you. But might work for excommunication too.

It was a bit of both. But that was all after two and a half expansion packs — 3+ if you also count the crowning mechanics — that added multiple layers onto religious, and especially Papal-interaction, gameplay. You could pay penance, join crusades, just be friendly enough (or influence the cardinals and have a bit of patience), or just say screw it and build your own pope, with blackjack and hookers.

I'm sure we'll get most of it back in due time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A king who is a vassal is no real king, they're just an administrator with a fancy hat.

They have their own armies and the will to use them and you can't take their crown away if you're dissatisfied with their actions, so that's clearly nonsense.

They are not the Greek despots of CK2.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

I tried this in my game but it looks like that kid would get the original stuff plus this new county, which is worse. Does this have to be done at the highest level? Meaning I should have given him a duchy not a county? I’m a king.

This is just going on the succession tab, maybe it doesn’t process until it happens?

If you're a king, giving your secondary heirs a duchy each is, in my experience, enough to satisfy partition and keep them from inheriting anything else.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Various Meat Products posted:

If you're a king, giving your secondary heirs a duchy each is, in my experience, enough to satisfy partition and keep them from inheriting anything else.

I think you need one of the "higher" versions of partition for that. With the base version, you can give them as many duchies as you like, and they'll still take stuff when you die.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How do I get more money? I see the one that gives me a tiny bit of income but I rarely ever have enough to even build that one. I also always have low control especially in new places I take over so they give me no money.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

There are different causes for going broke... Are you a small tribal ruler? Raid more. Are you a king constantly at war? You don't need to have all your troops raised and costing you for minor wars. If your domain is suffering from low control and your marshal isn't fixing it fast enough, there's always the martial focus that gives control growth and the first perk in the middle tree that gives even more.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All those tiny bits of income things are long term investments. It’s tempting to add a few more MaA and skip the economic buildings. Usually the MaA are more fun and are indeed the better choice, but not always.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

I also always have low control especially in new places I take over so they give me no money.

If you go to your council screen, there are 3 icons next to each councilor. For your Marshall, the 3rd one down you can click on and then click on a province with low control, and it will rapidly increase.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

binge crotching posted:

If you go to your council screen, there are 3 icons next to each councilor. For your Marshall, the 3rd one down you can click on and then click on a province with low control, and it will rapidly increase.

Yeah I put him on one but it took 27 years and is about to finish. While he was doing that all these new counties were added that have issues.

What's MaA?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

KingKapalone posted:

Yeah I put him on one but it took 27 years and is about to finish. While he was doing that all these new counties were added that have issues.

What's MaA?

You need a marshall with a higher Martial skill

MaA = Men at Arms

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 2, 2021

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Depending what you gave them they might not be "happy".

I'm not 100% on this but it seems to work basically like this:

1. All heirs want equal stuff

Primary heir has a duchy? Hey I want one too! So the game will auto-assign inheritances so that ideally every heir inherits the same level title. So three duchies and three sons, each son getting a duchy. Three counties three sons? Each son getting a county.

2. What's a Duchy worth?

If you don't have enough equivalent top level titles then that's where things get messy and confusing. Say it's 3 sons and you only have 2 duchies and then rando counties. First son gets the main duchy title. Then the game goes to the second son and looks for duchies; oh good! There's a free one here you go! Then it gets to the 3rd son and goes oh gently caress no more duchies. Well I guess all your counties together are maybe worth a duchy (not sure how it decides on the number) so the third son might get 2 or 3 of your counties.

How to fix this? You look for what the 3rd son probably "wants", in this case it's a duchy. So get a new duchy either by conquering or creating one. Then grant it to the third son (if it's not automatic who knows) and you should maybe probably end up with each son now have 1 duchy and all your personal holding counties going to your primary heir (instead of rando son #3).

3. What's the game actually doing?

The reasoning behind 2 I don't quite get, but I read somewhere that the game checks heir by heir and takes an heir out of the running if their title is higher than the sibling below them, UNLESS they are the primary heir. So for example you have a Kingdom, 2 Duchy, 5 Counties. Great, it's good to be king etc. But you have 3 sons. So Heir #1 gets Kingdom, related Duchy, related County. Heir #2 looks for Kingdoms but their aren't any so he take the other Duchy (if you had 3 Duchies maybe he'd take 2? Not sure about that stuff). Heir #3 looks for a Kingdom but there aren't any, looks for Duchy, nope! So he grabs a County.

Then I think it goes back to Heir #1 and he grabs a county, even though Heir #1 has higher titles than Heir #2. Now Heir #2's turn, but this dude has a Duchy which is higher than anything Heir #3 has so he gets skipped, because it wouldn't be fair to give Heir #2 more poo poo when he's already got more than Heir #3! So now back to Heir #3 and he gets ANOTHER county.

Then rinse and repeat where Heir #1 and Heir #3 basically split all your counties.

This circles back to point 2, where you can avoid all this poo poo by just getting Heir #3 their own Duchy. Since I think with Heir #1 being ignored as far as the "is my title higher" check goes, the game just looks back and forth Heir #2 and #3 and sees they are equal so everything is fine and Heir #1 gets all the counties.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing about partition is that the way it works is unintuitive but not actually that hard to understand once you learn how it works, it's just that the game doesn't actually explain the details anywhere so you are left to guess at the underlying functionality. It's basically just a round-robin, handing out titles to each child in order, looping around as necessary, until you run out of titles to distribute. The thing that makes it confusing is that it starts from the top tier of titles, rather than the bottom, and as part of this, children receive any de jure titles that are under a title they've already received, but this won't apply to your primary heir. So you will end up with weird situations where your primary heir inherits a kingdom, a duchy, and exactly one county, other children get the other counties in your capital duchy, and then your second child gets a full duchy and all counties under it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

No the succession tab will update instantly. Pre-granting stuff always works as long as they do not become independent.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why am I having to constantly remake the same dutchy over and over again? Are these little squabbling shits in the forest of nowhere fighting over it endlessly (and just destroying each other endlessly) and that's the cause? I swear, certain regions, every single year the option to remake the dutchy reappears. It feels like I can constantly convert my gold to prestige like this, but I no longer want to do that now that I'm feudal.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

It's this. Children of currently landed rulers may have Implicit Claims, which is a sign that they would receive Pressed Claims if their landrd parent died today, but I'm not sure whether you can actively press those or not.

This is the weirdest thing about this game. I don't understand why these claims aren't shown. It's very opaque to me what I'm getting when I organize a betrothal.

Here's an example.

17 year old eldest daughter of Duke of Tuscany. 2nd in line to inherit the dutchy. What's shown for her claims. Nothing.

Will she get an implicit claim to the Dutchy of Tuscany when she turns 18 or something? I'm so baffled.

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW
Finally started playing this this week after preordering … the recent inheritance chat is super relevant.

Did a 1066 Ireland start because it just feels like the best way to compare to my CK2 experiences. About 100 years in and I had a pretty nice 30 year old king eat it on a 13% chance to die on a hunting trip. So my succession was not set up very well…

Anyway, my chosen heir (Tanistry) didn’t inherit the kingdom Capital. Just a different duchy than the old king held. What gives with that? I’ll revoke the capital I want in a couple years after all the new king drama dies down, but I thought the new king was pretty much guaranteed to get the capital.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

Why am I having to constantly remake the same dutchy over and over again? Are these little squabbling shits in the forest of nowhere fighting over it endlessly (and just destroying each other endlessly) and that's the cause? I swear, certain regions, every single year the option to remake the dutchy reappears. It feels like I can constantly convert my gold to prestige like this, but I no longer want to do that now that I'm feudal.

They might be fighting over it and then losing the territory to revolts or something. Titles will be destroyed if the holder owns no counties within the de jure territory. Check the title history, it might shed some light on what's going on.

Femtosecond posted:

This is the weirdest thing about this game. I don't understand why these claims aren't shown. It's very opaque to me what I'm getting when I organize a betrothal.

Here's an example.

17 year old eldest daughter of Duke of Tuscany. 2nd in line to inherit the dutchy. What's shown for her claims. Nothing.

Will she get an implicit claim to the Dutchy of Tuscany when she turns 18 or something? I'm so baffled.

Oh it shows them just fine, that's how I know they exist. She just doesn't get any because they're all set to be inherited by a man. She will still receive Pressed Claims upon the death of her father though.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

Oh it shows them just fine, that's how I know they exist. She just doesn't get any because they're all set to be inherited by a man. She will still receive Pressed Claims upon the death of her father though.

Ah interesting. I think it could be clarified in the UI by having the Pressed Claim there but perhaps ghosted out, with a mouseover indicating that she is expected to receive them on death. That would inform the player that marrying her and killing her father would be a valid strategy for example.

Well I married a grandson in my dynasty to her so let's see what happens and if I eventually get someone in my court I can leverage a claim with...

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 3, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Stupid question about scandinavian elective: my held duchies are still fragmenting into counties held by my many other children, despite my kingdom and duchies being set to scandi elective. So, great, my heir is King of Sweden and Duke of Uppland, but he owns one county and his idiot half brother got Sigtuna with the temple. I thought elective was supposed to allow you to minimize that splitting?

(The other duchy was Visby, which didn't get split because it only has one county.)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
don’t set the top title to elective. you should only have one so it’ll go to the heir anyway. for some reason having elective on the top and lower titles fucks it up

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Took me several failed attempts (Ivar the Boneless doesn't seem to live long enough, even with Medicine focus) and finally got this title (along with the bonus Renown/troops/dynasty trait. Kinda hoping to use it to get the achievement for all the Isles. Haestienn is OP as hell and I'm glad he exists, especially with Varangian Adventures.

Shame I accidently took my special troops raiding after I got it! Since Haestienn is already feudal, it doesn't automatically feudalise the holdings so it's gonna be a slower build up from here.

Edit:

Oh good, at least upgrading the castle will be cheap!

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 3, 2021

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

It is not terribly clear to me at all whether I should give a poo poo or not whether the marriage I'm setting up for my kids raises or lowers their prestige. Presumably there's a reason that I shouldn't be marrying my kids to unlanded, commoners just because they have the best traits, giving them a -300 to prestige? Perhaps the prestige of all your kids factors into renown calculations in some way but it's not clear if that's the case. Googling around this yielded nothing. Does anyone know?

I'm not sure what my strategy for marrying my daughters should be. I could as I said, marry them off to commoners and get the best traits, or scale back a bit and try to ensure they always get a neutral or prestige gain.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PancakeTransmission posted:

Took me several failed attempts (Ivar the Boneless doesn't seem to live long enough, even with Medicine focus) and finally got this title (along with the bonus Renown/troops/dynasty trait. Kinda hoping to use it to get the achievement for all the Isles. Haestienn is OP as hell and I'm glad he exists, especially with Varangian Adventures.

Shame I accidently took my special troops raiding after I got it! Since Haestienn is already feudal, it doesn't automatically feudalise the holdings so it's gonna be a slower build up from here.

When I did King of all the Isles I used Haestienn as well. I went Sardinia > invade Kingdom CB Thessalonika, to cripple the Byzantines > work back to Mann to get feudal with the decision, because if you are even halfway lucky Haesteinn will still be alive and at this point easily meet all of the fame and prestige reqs to do Mann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Marriage prestige doesn't matter that much, even for tribals. It's nice to have it, but realistically for the overwhelming majority of your dynasty, prestige is useless.

For me the game is about dynasty and expanding your dynasty, so if I can get beneficial traits into the dynasty I'll do it, even if it means my heir has -300 prestige. It only takes a hunt or two to get it all back again.

That's also why I always have my dynasty primary in whatever marriages I do, because I want to expand it and ensure it survives.