Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Kiddo got two more bug bites (back and face) that completely blew up despite it blowing up over 12 hours after he got the bites, and having no issues for 2.5 weeks.

Ran him back to a different doctor, who spent over an hour messing with him and calling in two other doctors for their opinions. Nobody knows what the gently caress. It's not an infection and it's not allergies. This morning he woke up and the swelling from the bite on his temple had spread as far as his eye, swelling it about halfway shut. So we took him this morning to get a complete blood workup to test for everything under the sun where he got 6 vials drawn.

That was...not fun. But my kid is a god drat champ who was angrier at the tourniquet than he was at the needle.

The crazy part is that the swelling doesn't bother him one bit. Occasionally he'll itch it, but they're mosquito bites, of course it's itchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kids are weird.

Usually our kiddo is asleep within 20 minutes of him being put to bed.

Last night he cried for about 2 minutes after we put him down at 730pm. But when we went to put his blanket on him he was still awake just staring at the door around 930pm. I went back to check on him 4 more times between 930 and 2am and every time he was just sitting in exactly the same place just quietly playing with his stuffed mimikyu toy and refused to lie down.

Finally around 3:45am he started crying and would lie down for us. He's been surprisingly well behaved today for a baby who seems to have just decided not to sleep last night.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Renegret posted:

Kiddo got two more bug bites (back and face) that completely blew up despite it blowing up over 12 hours after he got the bites, and having no issues for 2.5 weeks.

Ran him back to a different doctor, who spent over an hour messing with him and calling in two other doctors for their opinions. Nobody knows what the gently caress. It's not an infection and it's not allergies. This morning he woke up and the swelling from the bite on his temple had spread as far as his eye, swelling it about halfway shut. So we took him this morning to get a complete blood workup to test for everything under the sun where he got 6 vials drawn.

That was...not fun. But my kid is a god drat champ who was angrier at the tourniquet than he was at the needle.

The crazy part is that the swelling doesn't bother him one bit. Occasionally he'll itch it, but they're mosquito bites, of course it's itchy.

Did you put anything on the bite which could have been an allergic reaction?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nwin posted:

Did you put anything on the bite which could have been an allergic reaction?

nope. nothing.

doc doesn't think it's an allergic reaction anyway because it doesn't respond to Benadryl. I'm not entirely convinced though. And what weirds me out is that there's a significant time delay between the bite and it swelling.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 30, 2021

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Renegret posted:

nope. nothing.

doc doesn't think it's an allergic reaction anyway because it doesn't respond to Benadryl. I'm not entirely convinced though. And what weirds me out is that there's a significant time delay between the bite and it swelling.

Allergic reactions can be delayed sometimes. I once got what I thought was a spider bite on my leg while out in the dessert. Large, swollen, painful bite. Enough for people who saw it to go “you should get that looked at.”

Exactly one week later I got large hives all over my legs that lasted for several days. I couldn’t think of anything else that could have given me an allergic reaction, so I assume it was a delayed reaction to whatever bit me. The hives actually looked a lot like the bite I got, except there were tons of them and they appeared very suddenly.

Haven’t had hives again since.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nessa posted:

Allergic reactions can be delayed sometimes. I once got what I thought was a spider bite on my leg while out in the dessert. Large, swollen, painful bite. Enough for people who saw it to go “you should get that looked at.”

Exactly one week later I got large hives all over my legs that lasted for several days. I couldn’t think of anything else that could have given me an allergic reaction, so I assume it was a delayed reaction to whatever bit me. The hives actually looked a lot like the bite I got, except there were tons of them and they appeared very suddenly.

Haven’t had hives again since.

Can you stick to walls now??

(Sorry been watching a lot of “Into the Spider Verse”, it is the one thing all kids can agree on watching.)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone have an answer for a poop question? 6 week old has some really foamy and runny yellow poops. It's been going on for a week or so, he only poops about once a day and it's usually like that.

We called the doc and they said not to worry unless there were more signs (more frequent, blood/color). Everything I've found online relates to breastfed babies but ours is exclusively formula fed.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone have an answer for a poop question? 6 week old has some really foamy and runny yellow poops. It's been going on for a week or so, he only poops about once a day and it's usually like that.

We called the doc and they said not to worry unless there were more signs (more frequent, blood/color). Everything I've found online relates to breastfed babies but ours is exclusively formula fed.

Our kid had this for about a month and then it went away on its own. Just call the doctor if things change.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

priznat posted:

Can you stick to walls now??

(Sorry been watching a lot of “Into the Spider Verse”, it is the one thing all kids can agree on watching.)

Unfortunately no. :(

Into the Spiderverse is rad though.

Kingtheninja posted:

Some formulas will give certain kinds of poops. We’re on a formula that makes baby’s poop look like wet cement. It looks gray, which is a bad colour for poop to be, but it is in fact a very very dark, desaturated green.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Combining the idea of “happy hands” and the song “If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands” has greatly reduced the amount that my toddler hits her baby brother. When she is playing with him and starts to get amped up I say “Remember, we clap our happy hands!” and 4/5 times she will clap instead of hit. It’s also worked a few times with her not hitting me. So thanks for the good suggestion, thread!

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Kingtheninja posted:

The foamy part when breastfeeding is usually from a fast letdown making baby swallow too much air so maybe you're experiencing similar and the nipple flow is too fast?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm barfing, wife is barfing, baby is barfing. No fevers. Food poisoning?? Ugh I thought this was illegal.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Thanks for the answers everyone, I knew I could turn to goons for questions about poop.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Just caught a whiff of the stuffed animal my toddler sleeps with under her sweaty head every night, and wow is it rancid. 🤢

Going to need to sneak it away somehow for a cleaning before it goes the way of the Velveteen Rabbit.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

5 year old niece stepped into a Yellowjacket nest in a neighbors yard while I was chilling with my 7 month old across the street. It sounded like she was being murdered. Her mom had to run into the swarm and then strip her naked in the driveway to make sure all the wasps were out of their clothing, hair shoes etc. Niece 1 and mom had about 20 stings each, niece 2 and her father had 2 or 3, and nephew got one on his chin. Thank god no one was allergic, and that I didnt bring my daughter over there for the garden walk. A Benadryl, baking soda bath and a bombpop later and niece 1 was mostly back to fine, minus talking about how much she hates bees now :(

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Oh my god. I am so. Tired.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

meanolmrcloud posted:

5 year old niece stepped into a Yellowjacket nest in a neighbors yard while I was chilling with my 7 month old across the street. It sounded like she was being murdered. Her mom had to run into the swarm and then strip her naked in the driveway to make sure all the wasps were out of their clothing, hair shoes etc. Niece 1 and mom had about 20 stings each, niece 2 and her father had 2 or 3, and nephew got one on his chin. Thank god no one was allergic, and that I didnt bring my daughter over there for the garden walk. A Benadryl, baking soda bath and a bombpop later and niece 1 was mostly back to fine, minus talking about how much she hates bees now :(

Holy gently caress.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

gently caress two year molars.

Our son was standing in front of the fridge last night inconsolably crying. Couldn't figure out why - thought he was having trouble pooping at first. Turned out he was trying to get at the teethers in the freezer. We've been giving him tylenol at night because he mostly just seems uncomfortable during the day instead of pain, coupled with ice water in his sippy.

Tried the whole "damp towel in the fridge" trick but for someone that will try and eat a paper towel roll he doesn't seem to want to suck on it.

My stepdaughter finally comes home tonight. Legit can't wait. And tomorrow both her and her brother are starting gymnastics which i hope wears them out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

meanolmrcloud posted:

nwin posted:

Holy gently caress.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

meanolmrcloud posted:

So this was me 20+ years ago. I haven’t been stung since, but my doctor did tell me at the time that I’m more likely to have an allergic reaction the next time I get stung. Apparently bee allergies get worse with each exposure. Just something the parents might want to talk to their pediatrician about.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Holy poo poo, that is some powerful parenting there.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

The whole time leading up to baby, we watched all kinds of YouTube videos about everything baby. Over time, I was led to believe baby farts were an uncommon and adorable thing.

My child farts us awake in the middle of the night, to say nothing of their frequency during the day.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kingtheninja posted:

The whole time leading up to baby, we watched all kinds of YouTube videos about everything baby. Over time, I was led to believe baby farts were an uncommon and adorable thing.

My child farts us awake in the middle of the night, to say nothing of their frequency during the day.

Yeah nawh babies are basically small wind tunnels up until they get to solid food it seems. They grow out of it though.

Up until they start to realize that farts are funny and then you're back where you started.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Family reunion in Montana and we’ve been here since Sunday—toddler had a cough and runny nose—and infant was okay. Toddler has since given cough to infant and it’s gone downhill from there. Toddler has been consistently ignoring us, doing dangerous things and being asked not to, not acknowledging we are speaking to him, refusing to do things he usually has no problem with, crying at the drop of a hat, saying he’s scared to do mundane things he knows don’t hurt.

Today we drove an hour to the urgent care in Missoula when it became clear the cough wasn’t improving. Toddler lost his mind the entire drive for various reasons, daughter slept which was great. Toddler refused to listen to anything we asked of him, except for the Covid test. Wouldn’t get in his car seat, made us physically put him in and fought us tooth and nail against being strapped in. Covid tests negative for all, but can’t do anything for symptoms and we’ve wiped noses so much it hurts them now. Pharmacy didn’t have Rx ready—then gave it to us and told us it needs to be in fridge. We tell them we are traveling back home tomorrow and can’t do that. They give us ice packs. Give toddler opportunity to use the potty twice before heading back to lodge, he refuses. Out in the middle of Bumfuck Montana in the mountains, of course now he has to go. He pees his pants. We get back to lodge and he pees his pants again. Also the entire hour back he screamed and whined.

Yesterday wasn’t a whole lot better. No AC here and it’s supposed to get cold at night but with windows open not enough cooling air got into our cabin so we were sweating our balls and ovaries off and our son woke up this morning complaining his eyes don’t work.

The past two days have been loving hell

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

So my baby is just shy of 11 weeks and we are dealing with sleep issues naturally. In the first few weeks of life she would just eat and then doze off on her pillow thing through out the day and so she was actually getting a lot of sleep and was calm and rested. Now she is not really dozing at all and wants to do stuff even though she is still too little to really do much so she is ultra crabby and having insane crying jags all the time now. So I've been trying to get her to take at least two naps at scheduled times. However no matter how tired she is she will fuss herself awake usually between 5 to 45 minutes into sleeping. This will happen at night too although sometimes she is an ok night time sleeper, though it seems to be getting worse. She starts fussing and struggling and punching herself in the face and wakes up entirely pretty quickly... For a few days it was possible to soothe her back to sleep but she doesn't really respond anymore.

This is probably all normal baby stuff but if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I was actually sleeping lots more during the first 8 weeks of her life, getting a really decent amount of sleep and now I am not at all and it's making me a bit insane.

Also, a lot of the sleep guides and such recommend around this age putting your baby in the crib drowsy and having her fall asleep on her own but what is this supposed to look like? Putting her down not asleep results in immediate shrieking here so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

hallo spacedog posted:

Also, a lot of the sleep guides and such recommend around this age putting your baby in the crib drowsy and having her fall asleep on her own but what is this supposed to look like? Putting her down not asleep results in immediate shrieking here so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

I had the same experience and tried like hell to get drowsy but awake to work. Feels very kid dependent to me. Good news is sleep training age is just around the corner.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
A good thing someone posted about in this thread re: sleep was keeping my hand on her chest for a bit after laying her down. It soothed her a bit more and let me feel how fast her heartbeat was, which helped me know if she was relaxing more or not. It was another source of feedback for figuring out what worked.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

A baby swing (I think our model was the snugaboo fisher price) was the ultimate solution to the baby not napping well throughout the day. I could pop a very fussy kid in there and get a 45 minute nap, and could even transfer the baby to his bassinet or crib after he was out.

All kids are different, I know some don’t like swings.

White noise machine was also very helpful, and we have these little wub a nub stuffed animal pacifiers that the baby has always slept with and can self soothe back to sleep very easily.

I guess the only other idea is to offer them a bottle to get them to nap even if it’s off the usual feeding schedule. Sometimes they hit a growth spurt and just eat like maniacs for a week.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

space uncle posted:

A baby swing (I think our model was the snugaboo fisher price) was the ultimate solution to the baby not napping well throughout the day. I could pop a very fussy kid in there and get a 45 minute nap, and could even transfer the baby to his bassinet or crib after he was out.

All kids are different, I know some don’t like swings.

White noise machine was also very helpful, and we have these little wub a nub stuffed animal pacifiers that the baby has always slept with and can self soothe back to sleep very easily.

I guess the only other idea is to offer them a bottle to get them to nap even if it’s off the usual feeding schedule. Sometimes they hit a growth spurt and just eat like maniacs for a week.

She's hilariously picky about some things, she will only sit in the swing we have in order to watch me cook dinner, and won't sleep in it. The white noise machines are good, I have two that I use and a fan.

My sister swears by the wubanubs also. So far the only pacifier I can get her to enjoy are these natural rubber ones from Denmark that I had to order specially but once she can hold things better I will try one of these too.

She is exclusively breastfeeding for now so I nurse her then let her snooze on my lap or in arms until she passes out then put her down. We don't really have a feeding schedule because she has demanded to eat almost approximately every single hour on the hour since she has been alive. We are seeing the lactation nurse this week again to make sure all is ok with my milk production etc but she just wants to eat and eat and eat all the time. This also plays into her crankiness I guess.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the magic ingredient in boogie wipes that keeps the nose from going raw

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Hadlock posted:

Saline?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

My daughter's back with us and all is right with the world.

She was a little bit of a patoot towards the end of the night but holy crap is it great to have both kids home again.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Saline and aloe

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

life is killing me posted:

Family reunion in Montana and we’ve been here since Sunday—toddler had a cough and runny nose—and infant was okay. Toddler has since given cough to infant and it’s gone downhill from there. Toddler has been consistently ignoring us, doing dangerous things and being asked not to, not acknowledging we are speaking to him, refusing to do things he usually has no problem with, crying at the drop of a hat, saying he’s scared to do mundane things he knows don’t hurt.

Today we drove an hour to the urgent care in Missoula when it became clear the cough wasn’t improving. Toddler lost his mind the entire drive for various reasons, daughter slept which was great. Toddler refused to listen to anything we asked of him, except for the Covid test. Wouldn’t get in his car seat, made us physically put him in and fought us tooth and nail against being strapped in. Covid tests negative for all, but can’t do anything for symptoms and we’ve wiped noses so much it hurts them now. Pharmacy didn’t have Rx ready—then gave it to us and told us it needs to be in fridge. We tell them we are traveling back home tomorrow and can’t do that. They give us ice packs. Give toddler opportunity to use the potty twice before heading back to lodge, he refuses. Out in the middle of Bumfuck Montana in the mountains, of course now he has to go. He pees his pants. We get back to lodge and he pees his pants again. Also the entire hour back he screamed and whined.

Yesterday wasn’t a whole lot better. No AC here and it’s supposed to get cold at night but with windows open not enough cooling air got into our cabin so we were sweating our balls and ovaries off and our son woke up this morning complaining his eyes don’t work.

The past two days have been loving hell

Wow this sounds like a complete nightmare, I’m sorry you’re having such a bad experience.

Took the kids to a friend’s farm today and my daughter got to “drive” a tractor while sitting in my friend’s lap. She was screaming and cackling with excitement the entire time, it appears to be the most fun thing she’s done in her entire life. Thought she would crash tonight but it took over an hour because she couldn’t stop talking about the tractor.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is oddly specific, I've spent at least an hour looking at this

Does anyone sell like, a 30+ pack of 12" straight wooden track (brio compatible) for toy trains

I see a bunch of 4 packs for 6 inch track for $$. We're trying to bridge from the living room to the play area/dining room and just need like... 8 feet round trip of straight track. We have a billion miles of curved track already, and half the track in the mega packs are all curved

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

2DEG posted:

3 y.o has been waking up dry like 95% of the time for the past couple of months, only pissing himself when he's chugged too much water before bed and despite doing a tactical wee. Time to ditch the pullups? Mostly because we're about to run out and I don't want to buy more.

Yes, it’s time. Make peeing before bed a routine. Regulate his water intake after that. (whatever limit you think he can handle, like “no more than half a glass because you don’t want to pee in your bed at night, do you?”).

Optionally, make a little ceremony where you have him throw the last pull-ups in the trash. Talk about how big he is now, he’s going to be all grown up and not wear diapers anymore etc. The positive aspects of it will overshadow any possible future negative feelings around waking up wet.

Get waterproof mattress covers if you don’t have one already. Be prepared to have accidents sometimes and don’t make a big deal out of them when they occur. Just some simple statement like “oops, you got wet. Tomorrow night I’m sure you’ll wake up if you need to pee. Then we can go to the potty.”

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My 14 month old has figured out he can climb up things to get to other things so welp time to move furniture again (again)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Wife and I woke up in the middle of the night to a sudden but brief banshee shriek that scared the poo poo out of us. The only reason we know it happened is we both woke up hearing the same thing.

He's fine though, didn't make a peep after that.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Our bassinet has textured mesh along the sides and the baby has decided that the sound produced by running his fingernails along it is, perhaps, the best sound in the world.

3am: scritch-scr-scr-scritch Gaaa! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004
Took our 2 year old to the zoo over the weekend. It makes sense in hindsight but I never expected to have to repeat so many times that no, you cannot hold the camels, tigers, or even the ringtailed lemurs.

"Erik hold it?" hands outstretched. Sorry bud, they won't even let me hold them.