Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What's the place in the top left on 100%? Which must be an error or a place with a population of like 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

freebooter posted:

What's the place in the top left on 100%? Which must be an error or a place with a population of like 5?

Kalawao, Hawai‘i, perhaps.

Can’t find vaccination ratio, but the Trump vote is correct.

Population: eighty-eight

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

freebooter posted:

There's a county in Hawaii that's 86 people. And if it includes US territories the smallest county is in Samoa with 17 people. So could be a 100 percenter in there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Looking through the low‐pop counties, I found this:

quote:

The Spanish Flu arrived in Silverton near the end of October, 1918, and quickly devastated the community. In a single week, 125 people, more than 5% of the town's population, perished from flu complications.[27] By the time the pandemic waned the following March, 246 people had died, accounting to more than 10% of the population.[28] This gave Silverton the dubious honor of having the highest mortality rate for the Spanish Flu in the entire nation.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

This is the graph that'll be in the history books next to "The 2020-2025 Pandemic"

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

MadJackal posted:

Blue States and Red States might as well be two different countries when considering COVID statistics.

Death Cult Southern state statistics shouldn't dictate the restrictions on vaccinated people in highly vaccinated Blue cities.

Death Cult is the apt word for it indeed. These people think if they can just be pious enough, just get enough Jews into Palestine, just have enough freedom, then finally Jesus/Trump/A Talking Gun will take over and we can all forget about science and thrift and compassion and learning and this earthly nightmare of struggling and surviving can be over and the rapture can begin or whatever.

These people are the same ones who buy those tubs of freeze-dried macaroni from Jim Bakker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOH37W0jPpA

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 2, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MadJackal posted:

Blue States and Red States might as well be two different countries when considering COVID statistics.

Death Cult Southern state statistics shouldn't dictate the restrictions on vaccinated people in highly vaccinated Blue cities.

:yeah:

Every county above the herd immunity threshold open parenthesis questionmark closed parenthesis line should be open.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the coward Mad Jackal

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Every county above the herd immunity threshold open parenthesis questionmark closed parenthesis line should be open.

Seems reasonable.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

No we need better masks. Very large masks that can surround entire counties or regions to protect the rest of us from the plague lands.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A friend of mine went down to Florida 2 weeks ago. Came back and got covid tested, positive.

She's fully vaxxed and felt fine the entire quarantine period, but it seriously feels like you cross the border into Florida and enter a fog of covid.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

7of7 posted:

No we need better masks. Very large masks that can surround entire counties or regions to protect the rest of us from the plague lands.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Oh, gee, I dunno guys. R^2 = 0.4 isn't really convincing me 🤔 Gonna check out Fox News for their take.

acems
May 8, 2019

my partner texted me last night saying “i have allergies and a headache :(

we spent the previous 3 days together
lol
lmao

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
3 days isn't really long enough to start calling them your partner imho

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

acems posted:

lol
lmao

eh so do i, it's summer.

i got vaccinated in april and i test often for work.

so what i'm saying is def jump to conclusions and point at them shouting "COVID!!!!"

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

eh so do i, it's summer.

i got vaccinated in april and i test often for work.

so what i'm saying is def jump to conclusions and point at them shouting "COVID!!!!"

Orange robe and a bell. Unclean! Unclean!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
made the mistake of checking out the cspam covid thread and the first thing i read was "optimism is a form of gaslighting"

so uhh, i take it back, by contrast i think everyone here is handling this well!

aside from arguing with each other over the continuously evolving data as it happened this thread and the older versions have been pretty spot on tbh.

when masks started being required everyone agreed that was going to turn into a thing like it did during the spanish flu (so it went)

when lockdowns started to lift no one was surprised that the vibe was economy over everything (so it went)

and when the vaccines suddenly looked viable well ahead of what we expected everyone knew half of us would be on some dumb rear end poo poo and refuse it (and so it goes)

this is going to be endemic, we'll all get more shots/boosters and continue to marvel (maybe rubbernecking is a better phrase here) as places like florida go full ouroboros.
the only thing that was less predictable was how easily everyone accepted 600k deaths because what else can you do with that except cognitive dissonance

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://overcast.fm/+oIe_eI4t0

NY times daily on past few days info about breakthroughs and masks

edit: quick tl;dl - They believe 1% vaccine breakthrough cases which could turn to 1.5 million people with cases (plus whoever they infect)

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 2, 2021

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

Even ignoring covid that's just a horrible idea. RSV is rampant right now and a newborn with RSV is going to end up in intensive care.

Yeah my wife and I are due in September and there's no way in hell anyone but us will be in that house for the first month.

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/WBTV_News/status/1421893523004137473

Granted, it happened yesterday, but still.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Sometimes (a lot of the time) I hate this country.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Sometimes (a lot of the time) I hate this country.

That’s just because you haven’t lived in other countries :cheersbird:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Things I found out last weekend during a family reunion:

• One of my aunts is antivax
• One of my uncles is a domestic abuser
• Another one of my uncles is a domestic abuse apologist
• My grandfather was a domestic abuser (although I already knew he was an rear end in a top hat so this is unsurprising)

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Today is the third day of school and we have three entire classrooms quarantined from our elementary and intermediate schools along with 9 students quarantined in the JR/SR high building.

To top that off, staff members don't get quarantined any longer if they claim to be vaccinated.

Lol.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

Things I found out last weekend during a family reunion:

• One of my aunts is antivax
• One of my uncles is a domestic abuser
• Another one of my uncles is a domestic abuse apologist
• My grandfather was a domestic abuser (although I already knew he was an rear end in a top hat so this is unsurprising)

well that's one way to make antivax not seem so bad

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

That’s just because you haven’t lived in other countries :cheersbird:

Hmmm, that's true.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

come and live in the uk. We were shithouse before you were even a real country.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

acems posted:

lol
lmao

It's probably not covid, I get the same symptoms from reading your posts

E: from reading my own posts, too BTW

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 2, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

AHH F/UGH posted:

I dont actively wish death upon anyone but watching red states Darwin themselves to death is just hilarious. I don’t feel bad or pity anymore.

The largest group currently unvaccinated in the US are "people without health insurance."

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

brugroffil posted:

The largest group currently unvaccinated in the US are "people without health insurance."

You don't need insurance for the vaccine.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

brugroffil posted:

You can walk in to most drugstores and get it for free. If you don't have it by now, and you don't have a valid medical reason, it's because you have loving brain damage.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lots of people have little trust of the US healthcare system and things that are advertised for "free."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

someone already said it would work better in america if they told everyone it cost 10bux

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If they’re not chuds themselves then they’ll pass the virus to me just as easy as one

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

brugroffil posted:

Lots of people have little trust of the US healthcare system and things that are advertised for "free."

and the guy on AM radio called it a plandemic

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Howdy, y'all. I was very sick about two weeks ago. Actually I am still a little bit sick, it sucks. Coughing a lot. I got a PCR test and it came back negative, but I read the PCR tests have a pretty significant margin for false negatives. I'm thinking of getting an antibody test to check if it was covid. If it was not covid, it was the shittiest cold I'd ever had. Anyways, how long after the first symptoms should I wait before getting an antibody test? Should I wait until all symptoms are gone?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
If you're a breakthrough case, wouldn't you have antibodies regardless? Disregard if you're not in a country with active vaccination for your age group.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

registered in 03 and doesn't know what a bad cold is lol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Hellblazer187 posted:

Howdy, y'all. I was very sick about two weeks ago. Actually I am still a little bit sick, it sucks. Coughing a lot. I got a PCR test and it came back negative, but I read the PCR tests have a pretty significant margin for false negatives. I'm thinking of getting an antibody test to check if it was covid. If it was not covid, it was the shittiest cold I'd ever had. Anyways, how long after the first symptoms should I wait before getting an antibody test? Should I wait until all symptoms are gone?
PCR tests are the most sensitive ones of all and are fairly unlikely to be negative two weeks after symptom onset, if indeed you had covid. Most of the false negatives come in the first week post-infection, before your body has had a chance to make enough virus. The delta variant has such a high viral load though that the false negative window is compressed.

Still, even at two weeks, the PCR false negative rate isn't zero (note that the rate of false results is basically never *zero* for anything). If you wanted to get an antibody test, you'd likely need to wait until something like 3 weeks post-symptom onset to be reasonably sure that your results are correct, or 4 weeks if you want to be really conservative.