Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I use Lorenz because uhhhh gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hellioning posted:

I do use Lorenz because he has stupid hair.
I use Lorenz because he legit has one of the best character arcs in the game.

Also :same: wrt to the stupid-rear end hair :hfive:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Someone explain “AM is the best route” posters to me, not a troll. Genuinely puzzled by the rain scene being viewed as adequate me culpa

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Clawtopsy posted:

Someone explain “AM is the best route” posters to me, not a troll. Genuinely puzzled by the rain scene being viewed as adequate me culpa

Please either post in a less weird, passive-aggressive way or go back to the LP thread and stop being here

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
dont make me send you all to detention

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clawtopsy posted:

The best route is the one you, the player, enjoyed the most. That's like the entire point of the game. That's what is so cool about the game (and indeed, the last few games when presented that choice of picking "faves" sorta leave that entirely up to you), despite the stupid amount of jank and how furiously frustrating White Clouds/Academy Phase can get on returning playthroughs. It's like picking who's your favorite army in SoV between Alm's Deliverance or Celica's Pilgrimage, or which is the "best" route in Fates: It's entirely up to you.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

nrook posted:

Please either post in a less weird, passive-aggressive way or go back to the LP thread and stop being here

Continue being here so we can confirm that AM loving sucks.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
fire emblem

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I maintain that one of my favorite ships is Seteth/Manuela. It feels like a believable relationship between two grown adults and is one of the few support chains for Seteth that call attention to him being a single dad. He's been so preoccupied with Flayn that now that she's ready to leave the nest Manuela's made him realize that he loves having a family and is going to be lonely when Flayn leaves.

It also has a couple of great lines throughout the supports.

Seteth: How is it that you imagine *yourself* to be the tortured one?

Manuela: Quiet? PROPER?! There's no need to be rude, Seteth!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
AM manages to be an entirely self-contained story that focuses on Dimitri and his history. The other three span a grander narrative and you kind of have to play at least two of them to get the full story they tell, but AM almost completely ignores the children of the Goddess and those who slither in the dark. You may view that as a flaw or as a strength, but it's no wonder some might consider the tighter narrative to be a better story.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I still hold the opinion that AM would be good if they didn't cut out the Felix/Annette "betrayal" content.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I just don’t understand waking up in the morning and deciding to post in the Three Houses thread like it’s a “PS2 versus XBox” thread on GameFAQs. Why would you do this?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

nrook posted:

I just don’t understand waking up in the morning and deciding to post in the Three Houses thread like it’s a “PS2 versus XBox” thread on GameFAQs. Why would you do this?

People have fragile egos and need to make sure their opinions are, undeniably, the Right Ones. Anything that lets them fan the flames for that: such as sports, politics, or indeed, a choice of routes in a videogame, works to strengthen their perception of self. Three Houses to some extent encourages this too, with all routes ending with the other protagonists dead or removed from the story, and characters being written more or less sympathetically depending on which route you pick, as well as using elements of politics in them.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

its fun to talk about Fire Emblem

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

but it's no wonder some might consider the tighter narrative to be a better story.

For me, this is one of the fundamental problems with 3H and why I think it bit off more than the game could chew. I think there's very strong potential for a game about human drama, how different people react to trauma, the struggle to heal and move on, and conflicting visions of the future for Fodlan. I also think there's very strong potential for a game about ancient and secret histories, age-old cycles of abuse and revenge, the shadows of the past conflicting with the reality of the present day, and unearthing buried truths and lies.

In my opinion, the game struggles and mostly fails to try to have it both ways. Azure Moon focuses very strongly on the first kind of story, and I think profits greatly for knowing what kind of story it wants to be. You get inklings about a bigger picture, but they're ultimately not relevant to the current events of the story and Dimitri and company unwittingly run over the Agarthans anyway (if you take the route at face value).

Verdant Wind and Silver Snow try to focus on the latter kind of story, but I think fall flat because Byleth is such a flat character, Claude is narratively toothless, and we barely get to hear from Rhea or from the Agarthans.

Crimson Flower, in my book, has an entirely different problem: Edelgard is such a powerful (in a narrative sense) and polarizing character in the narrative that I feel like no one else gets a chance to breathe. Claude's a nonentity as always, Dimitri is sidelined, and Rhea is unceremoniously demoted to the level of comic book villain. I feel that the story is so invested in trying to assert that Edelgard is right that it neglects everyone else in the story.

Three Houses is an extremely ambitious game, and I think it fundamentally just doesn't work as a coherent narrative. I think Azure Moon works the best of the routes because, besides my own feelings about the characters involved, I think this route has the strongest narrative focus. It's Dimitri's story, his conflicted relationship with his friends and family and the world, his fall and eventual redemption. The other routes want to tell a much grander story, and I think that ambition comes at great cost.

It's a noble experiment, and the sheer presence of gay supports (even if as far as I'm concerned there are only two actual s-rank options for lady Byleth despite there theoretically being five) is what lead me to buy it as my first Fire Emblem game, but it's also, frankly, a mess. Here's hoping the next game is better.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

In most routes the non-main lord is fairly sidelined. Edelgard is barely present in AM, showing up briefly at Gronder and then vanishing until the last couple chapters. Claude shows up at Gronder, then you don't see him again until Derpdedoo and there he goes "HERE IS FAILNAUGHT. I MUST GO NOW, MY HOME PLANET NEEDS ME." and he's gone. It's hardly a uniquely CF problem.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: On second thought, no, engaging is just going to set this thread on fire again.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Azure Moon is the worst route because it let's you kill Dedue and even if you don't kill him he goes MIA for a while and you're forced to have loving Gilbert as your retainer. gently caress that. Dedue deserves better than AM, every BL character except Dimitri deserves better than AM.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

nrook posted:

Blaze Dragon posted:

People have fragile egos and need to make sure their opinions are, undeniably, the Right Ones. Anything that lets them fan the flames for that: such as sports, politics, or indeed, a choice of routes in a videogame, works to strengthen their perception of self. Three Houses to some extent encourages this too, with all routes ending with the other protagonists dead or removed from the story, and characters being written more or less sympathetically depending on which route you pick, as well as using elements of politics in them.

stop projecting

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
You wake up in the morning. You got enough sleep last night but your back hurts a little. The sun is shining through the crack in the curtain over your windows and as the stray beam annoyingly reaches your face you decide to get out of bed.

The smell of coffee perks you up slightly as you sit down at the computer and get ready for a day at work. As it boots you think to yourself, "Man Dimitri loving sucks."

And then you post about it on SA because the thread hasn't had more than a single post in like a week.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Epi Lepi posted:

Azure Moon is the worst route because it let's you kill Dedue and even if you don't kill him he goes MIA for a while and you're forced to have loving Gilbert as your retainer. gently caress that.
:hai:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Natural 20 posted:

You wake up in the morning. You got enough sleep last night but your back hurts a little. The sun is shining through the crack in the curtain over your windows and as the stray beam annoyingly reaches your face you decide to get out of bed.

The smell of coffee perks you up slightly as you sit down at the computer and get ready for a day at work. As it boots you think to yourself, "Man Dimitri loving sucks."

And then you post about it on SA because the thread hasn't had more than a single post in like a week.

:hmmyes:

But you also forgot me looking at a wall scroll of Edelgard and Byleth(girl) holding hands.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Natural 20 posted:

I'm nearing the end of my current Golden Deer game, since I tend to flip-flop between the Deer and Lions. Current not quite standard experiments and how they've worked out:

Claude, the Assassin: Losing Barbarossa's unprecedented mobility stings, but Claude in this mold feels a lot like Eirika+. A very myrm-y lord, no bad thing but also I don't think it's the best use of Claude's talents. And hey, I'm finally using the Sword of Begalta for its intended purpose!

Lorenz, the Bow Knight: Surprisingly good! If you can accept him being neutral on bows and not having any specific bow arts, Lorenz is a lot beefier than the traditional bow candidates both offensively and defensively. Archers in 3H are so good that even Lorenz's Lorenz-ness doesn't stop him from being a productive member of the team.

Raphael, the Wyvern Lord: Not sure it's worth it. 95% HP, 65% STR, and 40% DEF are no joke, and wyvern lord's min speed comfortably makes Raphael one hell of a lot faster than he normally is. The biggest problem? 35% DEX. Gauntlets let Raph make the most of his typically sub-par hit rates, but going this route Raphael's been one of the iffiest wyvern lords I've ever seen. He whiffs. A lot. I've started feeding him every DEX booster I encounter, not normally a thing I value, but even with that he's worryingly unreliable at landing hits.

Flayn, the Fortress Knight: +3 Might, +10 Hit and Avoid, and 40% damage reduction on Byleth?! Please, sir, I'd like some more!

Linhardt, the Dancer: I laughed.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 2, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eimi posted:

:hmmyes:

But you also forgot me looking at a wall scroll of Edelgard and Byleth(girl) holding hands.
I would never inflict that upon Edie. Like I know that final cutscene is touching AF but, c'mon, Doro is there. Petra is there. Hell, even Lysie is there.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Personally I think it's hilarious that you can quote the game verbatim and that's enough to send people into apoplectic fits

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's no different from quoting Simpsons dialogue to a particular set and getting a response. Also, you have to understand: Even if the series has reached mainstream, we're still relatively small potatoes compared to, like, Pokémon, Monster Strike and Fate. Hell, I'd say we're smaller as a fandom than Genshin Impact.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wark Say posted:

I would never inflict that upon Edie. Like I know that final cutscene is touching AF but, c'mon, Doro is there. Petra is there. Hell, even Lysie is there.

Don't you dare separate Dorothea and Petra from each other. :mad:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
but seriously, why so mad about people talking three houses in the three houses thread?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

but seriously, why so mad about people talking three houses in the three houses thread?

outlook unclear

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

In most routes the non-main lord is fairly sidelined. Edelgard is barely present in AM, showing up briefly at Gronder and then vanishing until the last couple chapters. Claude shows up at Gronder, then you don't see him again until Derpdedoo and there he goes "HERE IS FAILNAUGHT. I MUST GO NOW, MY HOME PLANET NEEDS ME." and he's gone. It's hardly a uniquely CF problem.
CF probably has this problem the least, given how (almost)every chapter has a scene entirely devoted to the opposing Lord's PoV, without your side being present. The closest other routes come to that is, IIC, in AM where you have Hubert and Edelgard talking about how "Arundel" dying is the silver lining on the Dimitri+Faerghus cloud.

The Bridge doesn't, Derdriu has Claude+Nader, GM has Rhea+Catherine, Arianrhod doesn't, Field of Revenge has the (incredibly interesting) Rhea+Dimitri scene and Rhea's BBQ has Rhea+Catherine(+Cyril is present I guess).

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 3, 2021

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

lunar detritus posted:

Don't you dare separate Dorothea and Petra from each other. :mad:

Eagles are the polycule house, we've been over this.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it's quite telling that of all the gay pairings for Byleth (ignoring those two, you know which ones), four of them are Black Eagles and two of them are not Black Eagles.

It's pretty easy to see which house is the good house.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

Personally I think it's hilarious that you can quote the game verbatim and that's enough to send people into apoplectic fits

“Must you continue to reply? To post in retaliation?”

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cattail Prophet posted:

Eagles are the polycule house, we've been over this.
lol, this is what's probably going to end up bringing another civil war to the empire.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Wark Say posted:

I actually like Byleth as a character and Edeleth has just been my thing since the game came out. :colbert: Even with the other characters having a voice I think Edeleth is straight up the best for both characters given their shared traumas and both of them grasping their humanity together. It's super sweet and lovely to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I wish there was a single ship in the game for Byleth that I'm genuinely happy with. :/ Edelgard and Rhea are evil tyrants in my book. Sothis is a joke. Dorothea is a good foil to other characters, but Byleth offers her nothing to work with. Mercedes is just blandly inoffensive and dull.

I would take literally any other female character in the game in preference to them. Except maybe Leonie, who's great as long as she's not talking to Byleth. But those five include two of my most loathed characters across the board, another who's interesting with anyone but Byleth, one who's just boring, and a joke.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

God I wish Byleth had a voice and a character arc that clearly wasn't rewritten at least once.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I wish there was a single ship in the game for Byleth that I'm genuinely happy with. :/ Edelgard and Rhea are evil tyrants in my book. Sothis is a joke. Dorothea is a good foil to other characters, but Byleth offers her nothing to work with. Mercedes is just blandly inoffensive and dull.

I would take literally any other female character in the game in preference to them. Except maybe Leonie, who's great as long as she's not talking to Byleth. But those five include two of my most loathed characters across the board, another who's interesting with anyone but Byleth, one who's just boring, and a joke.

Cythereal posted:

Edit: On second thought, no, engaging is just going to set this thread on fire again.

:thunk:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I was going to post a more in-depth rebuttal of your take on AM. That wasn't worth it.

I don't like your waifu. That, there's no sense beating around the bush on.

Hellioning posted:

God I wish Byleth had a voice and a character arc that clearly wasn't rewritten at least once.

They couldn't decide on whether to make Byleth a mute or an actual character and settled on neither.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Cythereal posted:

You loving monster.