Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

IronicDongz posted:

they'd better be for that huge impractical soul level cost on top of leveling however much vig/end/vit you want

https://soulsplanner.com/darksouls3/137519

Genuinely not that bad. SL133 Soulsplanner link above. I have Saint Bident slotted into the RH because it's the single heaviest weapon I can use, other times I use Sharp or Lightning Weapons.

If you want to drop to SL120 you can shave points off END. DEX weapons tend to be fairly stamina light. No need to level VIT.

You can even use Tears of Denial, just enter zones with Darkmoon Ring +2 attunement slots and ToD attuned, cast it, then replace the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Quick question, is it possible to use the following mods simultaneously?

-Blue Sentinel so I don't get matched against curse daggers
-Wex Dust so I can invade anywhere
-Honest Merchant so I can get characters up and runniing asap

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
give it a try and see if it explodes!
if they overwrite the same dll for dll injection purposes you may have to rename one and mess around with the config files for the others for the "other mods to load" option

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just bought Dark Souls Remastered after beating the original on PS3 almost a decade ago. I’ve played/beat all the others in the series and never really played a katana/bleed build. Any recommendations?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

1redflag posted:

Just bought Dark Souls Remastered after beating the original on PS3 almost a decade ago. I’ve played/beat all the others in the series and never really played a katana/bleed build. Any recommendations?

Bleed is pretty good and there are enough weapons that do it that you don’t have to stick to katana only. Start as bandit to get the bandits knife. The great scythe is in the catacombs and can be suicide run to very quickly if you know where to go, and is an all-around excellent weapon. The first free katana is in upper Blighttown, if you want one before that you have to be a jerk and murder the Undead Burg merchant. In the DLC you can pick up the Gold Tracer from Ciaran, which is disgustingly strong.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Someone killed with a bleed sword that had a sick looking combo/strong attacks and I’ve been reconsidering my stance on cool swords.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

1redflag posted:

All the good bleed weapons in DS1 are Dex, and they're also almost all the best Dex weapons. The uchigatana is one of them. The iato is great, too. Then there's the washing pole, if you want a really big one. Flamberge is decent, and has great style points. Like skasion said, the great scythe is bleed and also arguably the best Dex weapon in DS1. All you need is a normal Dex build and have fun.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Perfect! Thanks!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when one more hit would have killed me i managed to slap gael 4 more times and take him down. i'm worse at the game than i used to be, or maybe just less patient, but it was the most dramatic victory i've had in any of the games. this triumph called for running an olympic torch lap around the desert afterward. a fine dark soul to you

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 28, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tough times today for getting lobbies where I have a chance to kill anyone. Still 13 vertebrae away and I’d really like to not waste away farming skeletons.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tough times today for getting lobbies where I have a chance to kill anyone. Still 13 vertebrae away and I’d really like to not waste away farming skeletons.

Just grab a goon friend who will let you invade and suicide for you. Way easier than relying on invasions/summons with randoms.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Does anyone else kind of get lost in the sheer volume of weapons and movesets? I've been reading a bit on the wiki while also experimenting in-game and it's kind of overwhelming. Piles and piles of weapons, each with a left-hand attack, right-hand attack, two-handed attack, rolling attack, jumping attack, skill. Then strong versions for most of these. And a bunch of combos to keep track of. And buffs / infusions... and then what happens if you dual-wield. Most of this is relevant primarily for PvP I guess - I mean I beat the game mostly with a Refined Halberd and Vordt's Hammer - but still. I suppose there are players out there who know exactly when a specific combo is preferable to another but I am not one of them. I kinda just make the call based on available stamina.

I think the huge number of options is one of the reasons I tend to be very faithful to my weapon of choice in this series. That was the case in all three of the games. Just to avoid that choice paralysis.

In the process I made the mistake of reading some of the comments on the wiki and now feel bad about using the Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords because apparently that is a crutch trash weapon for nooblets. It's fun to use though. :shobon:

I upgraded Ricard's Rapier to +9 but now sort of regret it because it's mostly just poke-poke-poke and gets a little boring. Maybe if I put something else in my left hand for a bit of variety. Also took the Crow Talons out for a spin in the Corvian Settlement while waiting to be summoned for Friede, and holy poo poo I got absolutely shredded by that first Corvian Knight. I do not know how to use these things at all. I'm so used to weapons with reach.

I'm trying to decide if to go into NG+ or not. I kinda feel like doing a full replay but also don't want to lose the ability to help people with bosses, and I think starting a new cycle means losing all my bonfires, right? How much of a challenge is NG+ anyway? Am I going to roll over the early game with a fully upgraded weapon? Maybe it'd be better to start a new character and keep this one for summoning.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 30, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ringed dual greatswords were way too good when the DLC dropped. They’ve been patched down a perfectly respectable strength weapon now but they were rage-inducing for sure at release.

NG+ is pretty easy. The harder bosses and DLC might give you some trouble but you’ll stomp most enemies. NG++ is where things start to get painful again.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

NG+ is where the real fun begins because there is just so much more summoning/pvp to be had, and you don't have to deal with twinks when grinding wolfgrass in the swamps.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Embracing the variety and having multiple options ready to go is a big part of my enjoyment of the Souls games, especially 2. Never not have 4 fully-upgraded weapons + shield + spell tool equipped at the same time, unless you have multiple spell tools.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HaB posted:

Just grab a goon friend who will let you invade and suicide for you. Way easier than relying on invasions/summons with randoms.

Yeah I was trying to spare anyone from this but I might have to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I'm aiming for a Pure Faith character, what stats am I looking at shooting for? I'm level 78 and feel like I have basically nothing beyond my 60 in Faith and I'm just pumping attunement now for more spell slots. What are the important breakpoints in DS3, for like Stamina and stuff?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

If I'm aiming for a Pure Faith character, what stats am I looking at shooting for? I'm level 78 and feel like I have basically nothing beyond my 60 in Faith and I'm just pumping attunement now for more spell slots. What are the important breakpoints in DS3, for like Stamina and stuff?

Every stat softcaps at 40, hardcaps at 60. There are a handful of exceptions, such as milking the christ out of DEX for the Sharp Astora GS or going to 66 STR for 2handers.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Bust Rodd posted:

Get enough STR to 2h the Dragonslayer Greataxe :black101: and smash nerds with the weapon art

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

who the gently caress is scraeming "GIT GUD" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never git gud

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Bust Rodd posted:

Faith Casters are kind of mediocre alone. Lightning Arrow and Dorhy's Gnawing are your best spells, the others either have a really bad motion value:focus points ratio.

So unless you want to make a weapon buff build, you're going to naturally gravitate towards Lightning Infusions on your weapons. Lothric Knight Sword and Saint's Bident and Astora Greatsword both have great scaling. That's not a bad breakpoint.

If you do want to make a buff build, fast dex weapons like Sellsword Twinblades are best for that. And if you do that, you may as well try and hit the 40 DEX softcap as well.

Alternatively, if you want a STR weapon, Dragonslayer Axe is fast, excellent Raw Infused and buffed with Lightning Blade. If you want other damage types, Crucifix of the Mad King has innate Dark damage and can be buffed with Dark Blade. And if you're willing to invest into both STR and DEX, Winged Knight Twinaxes and Drang Hammers make excellent buff weapons.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I'm stuck. I'm in the big room with the 2 chained giants, do I have to kill them to progress? I was hoping not to.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

BigHandsVince posted:

I'm stuck. I'm in the big room with the 2 chained giants, do I have to kill them to progress? I was hoping not to.

Assume you are talking about the giants in the Cathedral? No you don't need to kill them, but they're easy to take down.

Unlock the camera and stick close to the heel of one foot. The only attack that can reach you is the stomp, and if it raises its foot, just run over to the other foot and keep slashing the heel. Giants are sensitive to fire if you want to speed things up.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

BigHandsVince posted:

You can just take the staircase behind one of them if you don't care for hitting them. To get through the muck quicker, you can use a Dagger's quickstep weapon art. Don't need FP to use it for this purpose either.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, they’re deceptively simple to kill and stay dead so you might as well if only to make Patches salty when he tries to trap you later.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Making a +3 Fire Dagger at that stage of the game is trivial to do, and is absolutely an excellent tool to get you through deep mud and clear out slimes and giant slaves.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Faith Casters are kind of mediocre alone. Lightning Arrow and Dorhy's Gnawing are your best spells, the others either have a really bad motion value:focus points ratio.

So unless you want to make a weapon buff build, you're going to naturally gravitate towards Lightning Infusions on your weapons. Lothric Knight Sword and Saint's Bident and Astora Greatsword both have great scaling. That's not a bad breakpoint.

If you do want to make a buff build, fast dex weapons like Sellsword Twinblades are best for that. And if you do that, you may as well try and hit the 40 DEX softcap as well.

Alternatively, if you want a STR weapon, Dragonslayer Axe is fast, excellent Raw Infused and buffed with Lightning Blade. If you want other damage types, Crucifix of the Mad King has innate Dark damage and can be buffed with Dark Blade. And if you're willing to invest into both STR and DEX, Winged Knight Twinaxes and Drang Hammers make excellent buff weapons.

Want to add to this, Blessed Infusions are really good too and available very early.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

And Tyler Too! posted:

Want to add to this, Blessed Infusions are really good too and available very early.

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

There are a handful of weapons that do really well with a Blessed Infusion. Namely the three weapons with innate lightning in the game: Lothric Knight Greatsword, Drakeblood Greatsword, and Dragonslayer Axe, the Blessed Gem scales both the split physical and lightning.

But outside of that, Blessed Infused weapons have rather mediocre ARs. And with those three innate lightning weapons, you're basically focusing on a single damage type. You're going to have a bad day against enemies like Dragonslayer Armor and Nameless King.

Having a Blessed blunt weapon in the catacombs is very handy though. I like to bring a Blessed Caestus to Catacombs and just punch my way through.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I followed a guide and somehow still managed to bork Siegward's questline. I should've just bought the entire armor set before starting NG+ so I could have it ready. I don't know why Patches had it in my original run but not in this one considering I didn't find him in the Cathedral in either one. Kinda wanted to see Siegward take on Yhorm. Maybe in NG+2.

Fortunately I'm still on track with Sirris.

I'm getting wrecked whenever someone invades. Just now on the Irithyll bridge I could hear my weapon connecting but the invader wasn't taking any damage. :iiam: And the lag's annoying. In co-op it's fine because the inherent jollyness balances out the jank, but man PvP kinda sucks*.

* It probably sucks less if you win to be fair. I'm 1-2 w/l today so far, my single win seemed like an inexperienced pvp'er although at my level range they will have beaten the game for sure. But they kinda stood still for a moment which allowed me to do a plunge attack with Vordt's Hammer and that was that. Maybe they were rummaging around in their inventory or something but it felt like a rookie error, and I say that as a terrible pvp player.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 3, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Sway Grunt posted:

Kinda wanted to see Siegward take on Yhorm.

Did you fight the Demon at Undead Settlement with Siegward? He will just stand there thinking about the elevator until you do.

Unless you have soloed Yhorm, it's not too late. If you bork Siegward's quest in the Cathedral, he will just sit in the well until you bring him his armor.

Buy the tower key from the Handmaid, then head up the tower at Firelink Shrine, and Patches will show up. Later when Patches goes to Firelink, he will have all of Siegward's armor for sale. Rescue Siegward from the well, and then again in Irithyll Dungeon.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

Buy the tower key from the Handmaid, then head up the tower at Firelink Shrine, and Patches will show up. Later when Patches goes to Firelink, he will have all of Siegward's armor for sale. Rescue Siegward from the well, and then again in Irithyll Dungeon.

This is what I did but Patches didn't have the armor in his inventory. In my first run he did, in this one he didn't. I don't know what I did differently this time. I then killed him to see if I get it as a drop but no, and the Handmaid doesn't sell it either after accepting his ashes. So I think it's definitively borked sadly.

edit: You know what's weird, in my first run I didn't actually fight the demon with Siegward - I missed that whole side area. But still Patches had the armor. This time I did everything up to the Cathedral by the book and he didn't.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 3, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

That quest is stupidly fragile. I followed guide and managed to bork so I never saw Patches in the Cathedral for my first several playthroughs. He always showed up in the tower, though.

This says you need to defeat the Deacons of the Deep to get Patches to sell you the onion armor: http://darksouls3.wikidot.com/npc:siegward-of-catarina. Could that be the missing piece?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That looks like a better guide than the one I looked at. It's possible I only beat Deacons after giving up on Patches, I don't recall exactly, but I think I see the problem... the guide says you need to talk to Siegward in the well, and I didn't do that because there was no dialogue prompt. Talking to him is only possible after opening up the main door shortcut apparently, which I did, but I didn't go back to speak with him. I thought you needed the armor first. That must have been it then. Oh well!

I'll try to be extra careful with Sirris. I'm also doing Anri's alternate path (first run we got hitched and I accidentally got the secret alternate ending).

edit: Uh Siegward was at the manor in Irithyll. Maybe this isn't dead yet...

edit2: Rescued him from the dungeon but he didn't join me for Yhorm. So ultimately it was borked after all. He left an extra Storm Ruler in the arena so now I have three.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 3, 2021

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

axolotl farmer posted:

who the gently caress is scraeming "GIT GUD" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never git gud
The irony is that being gud requires just as many R1 presses as the casual DS3 enjoyer.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

There are a handful of weapons that do really well with a Blessed Infusion. Namely the three weapons with innate lightning in the game: Lothric Knight Greatsword, Drakeblood Greatsword, and Dragonslayer Axe, the Blessed Gem scales both the split physical and lightning.

But outside of that, Blessed Infused weapons have rather mediocre ARs. And with those three innate lightning weapons, you're basically focusing on a single damage type. You're going to have a bad day against enemies like Dragonslayer Armor and Nameless King.

Having a Blessed blunt weapon in the catacombs is very handy though. I like to bring a Blessed Caestus to Catacombs and just punch my way through.

IIRC Dragonslayer Axe has kinda fucky scaling and is one of the few weapons where a Raw Infusion is an extremely solid option.

Also, the Sunlight Straight Sword is 100% worth sequence-breaking and killing Dancer early for because it has phenomenal FTH scaling, can be buffed, and has Sacred Oath baked in. (Pick up the Lothric Blessed tome while you're in the neighborhood too.)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

skasion posted:

NG+ is pretty easy. The harder bosses and DLC might give you some trouble but you’ll stomp most enemies.

So I beat the main game NG+ today and I've found this to be true, yeah. It's been a pretty pleasant jog all things considered. Vordt killed me once but no other boss did until the Pontiff who must have been explicitly designed to counter me personally because it's unreal how bad I am at that fight. I got a little lucky with one attempt where he was being weirdly chill so I managed to get past him, but goddamn. At least I solo'ed him this time unlike my first run where I had to summon.

Then the usual suspects toward the end of the game, but still, 30 minutes to beat Nameless King in NG+ instead of multiple hours over a whole week like in NG? I'll take that happily. Takes a few attempts to adjust to the dodge timings on that second phase but once you do it's probably second only to Dancer in terms of how good it feels to evade them. Or maybe third after Lorian.

I decided to pump up FTH in this playthrough so I could put Great Lightning Spear to good use, but it's been kind of underwhelming. FTH at 35 is not good enough, I guess. I've just been using Deep Protection and Caressing Tears instead and looking at weapons that scale off of FTH so those points aren't wasted, but to be honest my Exile Greatsword is actually doing very well. I wasted a lot of titanite on Wolnir's Holy Sword; it looks cool but seems kind of bad. Any opinions on the Dragonslayer Swordspear?

Ringed City next. I skipped Midir last time so I'm curious to see what that fight's all about.

Since I complained a little about invasions let me ask: is it bad etiquette to not fight back? I got invaded today at Lothric Castle but was carrying almost no souls and it was right next to a bonfire, so whatever. I sat down. Invader kicked me then took a swing. I didn't fight back, just stood there. Credit to them for leaving peacefully when they realized I wasn't into it, but I kinda felt bad about wasting their time. I could've put some half-hearted effort into it but I honestly just could not be bothered under the circumstances. :shrug:

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Sway Grunt posted:

Since I complained a little about invasions let me ask: is it bad etiquette to not fight back? I got invaded today at Lothric Castle but was carrying almost no souls and it was right next to a bonfire, so whatever. I sat down. Invader kicked me then took a swing. I didn't fight back, just stood there. Credit to them for leaving peacefully when they realized I wasn't into it, but I kinda felt bad about wasting their time. I could've put some half-hearted effort into it but I honestly just could not be bothered under the circumstances. :shrug:
Nah sometimes you just don't give a gently caress.
The only bitch move in souls multiplayer is when you disconnect when you start losing the fight.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sway Grunt posted:

I decided to pump up FTH in this playthrough so I could put Great Lightning Spear to good use, but it's been kind of underwhelming. FTH at 35 is not good enough, I guess.

All 3 Lightning Spear miracles scale very poorly, sadly. Lightning Stake does decent damage but it was designed with PvP in mind, same goes for Lightning Arrow.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you weren't moving at all the invader probably assumed you had left the game running while afk or something.
Whenever I ran into a player like that in DS2 I'd bust out the corrosive urns :devil:. Sadly DS3 has no such consumable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

In this case they saw me sitting down so they knew I was there and just not playing along. I suppose if an invader feels free to disrupt my PvE experience I should feel free to disrupt their PvP experience by not fighting back.

And Tyler Too! posted:

All 3 Lightning Spear miracles scale very poorly, sadly. Lightning Stake does decent damage but it was designed with PvP in mind, same goes for Lightning Arrow.

That's too bad, with GLS being the final reward for a covenant you'd think it would be good. At least I can use it to aggro enemies from a distance.