Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harmdog
Jul 26, 2021

Wow pvp is still the best traditional MMO pvp I've played in my opinion. FFXIV would be good pvp if it had better game modes resembling WOW. I did not enjoy guild wars2 pvp at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Third World Reagan posted:

Hello wow refugees.

You are welcomed to post here.

There were never any good mmos

But what about....

Not even...

poo poo, they were all bad weren't they.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KirbyKhan posted:

Guildwars 2 has a similar structure and tone to FFXIV, I find it lesser but like if you want more Saturday Morning Cartoon, GW2 gotchu

Maybe it got better later but I could never get past everything revolving around salad jesus

Also missing out on Living Story stuff forever (I think that's rightfully changed now) was the dumbest loving thing

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

At least in Albion you can ...... hahaha never mind

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Maybe it got better later but I could never get past everything revolving around salad jesus

Also missing out on Living Story stuff forever (I think that's rightfully changed now) was the dumbest loving thing

They apparently kill off Salad Jesus in one of the expacs and put you back in the spotlight.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Virigoth posted:

At least in Albion you can ...... hahaha never mind

Don't worry I am sure Pantheon will save us :frogdunce:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Not being able to replay Living Story Season 1 does suck, but I miss how it actually made changes to the world, whether they be temporary or permanent (though I know people want Kessex Hills to be cleaned up). With level scaling they could put out content in a lower level zone and everyone could enjoy it. Nowadays, outside of a few conversations or instances in a release that have you make a trip to a base game zone or a zone for the expansion the content you are playing is an extension to, anything that ever happens in the world is somehow taking place in a part of the world we haven't visited yet. The world keeps on expanding and spreading out the player base.

I'd love to see an MMO that worked with a more modestly sized world, but progressed that world over time, making it feel alive. But then you either deal with content being temporary and thrown away, or you allow people to play through instanced versions of the old content, again splitting up the players.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I appreciated GW2 in that I just skipped all the Or poo poo I didn't do around launch. Then I came back around PoF era and bought and played the previous jungle expac. Actually progressed enough to get the viper set which is enough of a todo that I'd never have to worry about gear again. But I could just pull up an episode like it was a Netflix show. After doing the linear path of FFXIV I genuinely appreciate GW2 giving that semi-organic skip.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

GI_Clutch posted:

I'd love to see an MMO that worked with a more modestly sized world, but progressed that world over time, making it feel alive. But then you either deal with content being temporary and thrown away, or you allow people to play through instanced versions of the old content, again splitting up the players.

We had this game back in 1999 and it was called Asheron’s Call. It really only works with a low population game but AC had an ongoing story that included events where devs controlled important lore characters in game and the story required player participation to progress.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They apparently kill off Salad Jesus in one of the expacs and put you back in the spotlight.

Well that's something at least

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tainen posted:

We had this game back in 1999 and it was called Asheron’s Call. It really only works with a low population game but AC had an ongoing story that included events where devs controlled important lore characters in game and the story required player participation to progress.

Nah I think there's ways to do this with high population games too. I mean its not all that different from Fortnite holding a concert or whatever.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Tainen posted:

MUDs continue this type of interaction and is why I’ll still play a text based game. I checked in on an old server I used to Imm on and there were streets named after my character and lore that developed long after I left which was cool.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

yeah they kill him in the first expansion

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Elite dangerous has everything but the storyline.

Mmo with story outside FFXIV doesn't really exist.

There's Guild Wars 2, Swords of Legends Online, and Star Wars the Old Republic. The upcoming MMO, Lost Ark is super story heavy as well.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I said come in! posted:

There's Guild Wars 2, Swords of Legends Online, and Star Wars the Old Republic. The upcoming MMO, Lost Ark is super story heavy as well.

Story and atmosphere are basically the only things The Secret World has going for it now.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Third World Reagan posted:

There were never any good mmos

Yeah, but the one that's about to come out, that's gonna be the good one.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Even outside of Trahearne a lot of the Guild Wars 2 writing is really bad in kind of a "why are you insulting my intelligence like this" way which really soured me on coming back (I beat the base game's story but never did any of the Living World stuff).

Like how there's a whole questline around your character (and some others?) getting mesmerised which makes them see allies as enemies and kill(?) them, and despite it being as obvious as possible, apparently your character just cannot figure it out until the end.
Or how similarly, after you're made the Commander, your character still takes orders from NPCs on missions. This isn't even a hard thing to fix - you can have the exact same story missions, just have it be my character giving the orders to the NPCs.

Yeah I know it's dumb to want a great story in an MMO (especially in 2012 pre FF14 expacs) but given how much GW2 advertised itself on that, it was pretty lame. It's a shame it put me off that hard because I really enjoy a lot of other things about it.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I think in the end the writers didn’t know if they wanted your character to be a silent protagonist along for the ride or an important person in the world, and all the problems flowed from there.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i liked some of the character writing in gw2, rytlock brimstone in particular is pretty memorable

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

But wasn't he almost immediately replaced with Salad Harley Quinn?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Seeing all the content creators leave wow, gives me hope for the mmo market overall. But realistically they will probably funnel into the new riot mmo.... I'm also surprised Riot isn't trying to capitalize on blizzards situation, maybe they are trying to stay off the radar because they have the same toxic culture.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Probably Riot's own culture issues and also because the guy in charge of the Riot MMO has now been very directly implicated in all the Cosby Suite stuff. So yeah, they're keeping their heads down.

Its also guaranteed to be one of the biggest releases of whatever year it comes out in, so there's not real benefit to joining in on kicking Blizzard while they're down.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Also, Riot is in trouble with the same agency as Blizzard for mostly the same reasons so laying low is the preferred strategy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What.. what do these companies and directors get out of protecting male employees who drink and play video games all day, who delegate their work to female employees?

Like, they fire people all the time but not these lazy useless drunks?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jokes posted:

What.. what do these companies and directors get out of protecting male employees who drink and play video games all day, who delegate their work to female employees?

The main villain of the piece was hired in from EQ so they're good buddies.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 2, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jokes posted:

Because they do and have done the same and the more like-minded people they surround themselves with the easier it is to collectively get away with it until their hubris eventually catches up.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I'm semi-sure the absurd "cubicle crawl" scenario has to be some kind of hosed up attempt at teambuilding or whatever, but from the text it sounds like this poo poo was being done during business hours. On one hand I assume Blizz HQ has some night crew to the point where business hours is 24/7, and I've been on night shifts in businesses which are having office parties at the same time, but you do NOT let the party and especially it's potentially drunk attendees interfere with people working, jesus loving christ.

Like even the most generous possible reading would warrant massive action and the firing of a lot of the managment staff.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

jokes posted:

A lot of jobs do not hire workers.

They hire friends.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
at least a few years ago riot's interview loop was basically how much you could slobber over your love of the game and to not waste your time otherwise

asking about benefits or pay also includes detracting from your love of the game

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I must be living under a rock because I know literally nothing about a Riot mmo. But based on some cursory Googling it’s probably because it’s based on LoL and I have basically not touched the MOBA genre.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

kedo posted:

I must be living under a rock because I know literally nothing about a Riot mmo. But based on some cursory Googling it’s probably because it’s based on LoL and I have basically not touched the MOBA genre.

Probably also because there is not much to know other than that it is happening. Which I think was just announced in some tweet and not much else. So it is probably years away.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was pretty much a given when they poached Ghostcrawler from Blizzard.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

They have a website for it at least

https://www.riotgames.com/en/mmo-recruiting

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still upset they removed the 'give employees free complete cash shop unlocks' and the new perk is much shittier where they just give you a few cash shop bucks monthly

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

I'm still upset they removed the 'give employees free complete cash shop unlocks' and the new perk is much shittier where they just give you a few cash shop bucks monthly

So your employee perk is a F2P subscription?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Biowarfare posted:

Which seems silly to me, like wouldn't you want employees to be using the newest skins/heroes when they play the game to encourage others to spend money. I mean even EA (iirc) tried to patent a method to matchmake newer players with whales who had cool skins to encourage new players to buy said skins. Seems like riot is missing out on free advertising because who wants to pay their company for the product they made...

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Virigoth posted:

MUDs continue this type of interaction and is why I’ll still play a text based game. I checked in on an old server I used to Imm on and there were streets named after my character and lore that developed long after I left which was cool.

Man I fuckin miss the era of MUDs from like the late 90s / very early 2000s when I was 18 in my first apartment and finally didn’t have anyone demanding that I spend my free time doing more than one activity. Some of the most engrossing and rewarding online gaming of my life.

I would still play something like that if I could idle from my phone and use speech to text but I could never spend that much time sitting at a computer outside of work these days.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Anyone know what's up with this Bless Unleashed game that launches on Steam tomorrow? Big ol doodoo of lootboxes?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
if it's related to bless online then it is insane dog poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
After looking into it for a few minutes it appears to be a monster hunter clone?