Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

a cyborg mug posted:

FITE’s iOS app continues to be one of the worst apps by non-indie developers I’ve ever used. Just utter garbage. Prefer to watch AEW via the PS4 browser which somehow works much better

That’s how I always did it until I got rid of my PS4 and they didn’t put a browser on the PS5. Had to buy a little roku streaming box thing just for the FITE app, but it actually works really nicely so I’m not that mad about it since it’s tiny and I had plenty of free HDMI sockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/idlenotes101/status/1422060126693781522?s=19

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Storyline-wise I hope the 4th labor of Jericho is Jericho has to beat Sammy Guevara (although I don't know how you sell the idea that they'd keep it competitive).

But since I'll be at that show (I assume the 4th labor will be next week), I want Jericho to have to fight Lance Storm.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A Fancy Hat posted:

Storyline-wise I hope the 4th labor of Jericho is Jericho has to beat Sammy Guevara (although I don't know how you sell the idea that they'd keep it competitive).

MJF somehow finagles a title shot for Sammy if he wins?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jericho vs. Sammy, stipulation: First Blood match so Chris is basically against the clock

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

A Fancy Hat posted:

But since I'll be at that show (I assume the 4th labor will be next week), I want Jericho to have to fight Lance Storm.

Jericho vs Jake Hager

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Sometimes it's fun to stop and consider just how interconnected mainstream wrestling is at the moment.

Kenny Omega, the All Elite Wrestling champion, is also the Impact Wrestling champion. He is part of a stable in AEW with the Impact tag champs, the AEW tag champs, and the former Impact Executive Vice President. He is also AAA Megachampion and is preparing for a title match against Andrade El Idolo, who wrestles for AAA and AEW.

Kenny's stablemate Karl Anderson recently competed on Dynamite against Jon Moxley for the IWGP US Title. Moxley later lost this title to AEW wrestler Lance Archer who will this month defend this title on a New Japan show against Hiroshi Tanahashi. The card for this show includes Rocky Romero, Wheeler Yuta and Ren Narita, all of whom have appeared recently on AEW shows, and TJP, Jay White, David Finlay, and Juice Robinson, all of whom have worked recently for Impact.

The most recent episode of Dynamite was main evented by Chris Jericho in his New Japan "Painmaker" gimmick, facing off against Nick Gage, who days before this match lost his Game Changer Wrestling title to Matt Cardona, who is an Impact Wrestling mainstay. The card where Gage lost the title also included AEW star Marko Stunt, Big Japan Wrestling champion Drew Parker, and ROH star and former Television Champion Tony Deppen.

This week's AEW Dynamite will feature a number one contender's match for the NWA women's title between Leyla Hirsch and The Bunny, with the resulting title match taking place on the upcoming NWA Empowerrr PPV. Leyla Hirsch was recently part of an AEW tag team with current SEAdLINNNG Beyond The Sea Champion Ryo Mizunami, who came to AEW after winning the Japanese bracket of the AEW Women's World Championship Tournament, a tournament that featured competitors from TJPW, Marvelous, Gatoh Move, and Ganbare, which is part of DDT. The number one contender for the DDT world title is Konosuke Takeshita, who recently took an excursion to the USA and wrestled for AEW, teaming several times with Kenny Omega.

Wrestling is so much better when it happens in an ecosystem.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't know that much about PWG or the indies, but I gotta imagine Malakai is loving stoked that the second he leaves the fed, he gets a pretty big feud at the next biggest company and gets an angle with the surprise from last night's PWG the return of Super Dragon. Not against him, of course, but still involved there.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I predicted that as one of the labours of Jericho.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it will be chris jericho versus A Fancy Hat.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Cavauro posted:

it will be chris jericho versus A Fancy Hat.

Please don't spoil my in-ring debut.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

Triple threat: Jericho vs. Guevara vs. let's say Lance Archer, or a similar monster dude

Stipulation: Jericho or the monster must pin Guevara to win

Guevara cannot assist Jericho as per the existing "no Inner Circle members" clause

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

Jericho vs Guevara hair vs hair.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KungFu Grip posted:

look at this dude

This feels like a decade ago

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jericho vs Guevara ratings war.

The winnipeggers must beat Sammy's vlog in 18-35 key demo.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1422213312130035719

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

So they sold well over ten thousand tickets merely on the rumour that CM Punk will show up.

Remember when people here were aguing that AEW shouldn't sign Punk and that it'd a bad move for business? Good times.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Cerebral Bore posted:

So they sold well over ten thousand tickets merely on the rumour that CM Punk will show up.

Remember when people here were aguing that AEW shouldn't sign Punk and that it'd a bad move for business? Good times.

Like it or not, the in-ring return of Punk is a fuckin DRAW, despite it being a literal decade since Punk was THE GUY in WWE.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i've never seen a Punk match, i hope he's a good wrestler and talker guy :)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He was never a blow you away sort of wrestler, but he was always a great talker and he wrestled well enough to tell a story

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

smarxist posted:

i've never seen a Punk match, i hope he's a good wrestler and talker guy :)

Despite the 'always bad' crowd, he was one of the best promos in the business and his in ring was never super crisp but his psychology was very good. If he's able to get the rust off at QTs gym or wherever, he'll be an asset, his behind the scenes personality notwithstanding

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm willing to admit I'm pretty shocked about it. I liked Punk quite a bit, but I figured he was done and had kinda written him off. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a ring again but I did not expect this kind of reaction. Maybe it being AEW/not the WWE has something to do with the level of excitement? I don't know.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I'm willing to admit I'm pretty shocked about it. I liked Punk quite a bit, but I figured he was done and had kinda written him off. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a ring again but I did not expect this kind of reaction. Maybe it being AEW/not the WWE has something to do with the level of excitement? I don't know.

I think it's impossible to overestimate how over Punk is in the Chicago area. He was over enough that Vince was skittish about burying him and think about the people Vince humiliates in their hometown

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Somehow I had forgotten the venue was in Chicago. For some reason I was getting it confused with the New York one, which is also selling out.

Makes more sense.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Shinjobi posted:

Somehow I had forgotten the venue was in Chicago. For some reason I was getting it confused with the New York one, which is also selling out.

Makes more sense.

You got confused because Bryan is debuting in the New York show (maybe)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

While I am not particularly personally interested in Punk, especially 44 year old ring rust Punk, it's objective that he's going to draw money. Unfortunately objective, perhaps.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Are there any particularly good, or at least notable, Punk matches that would be worth watching? I wasn't watching wrestling when he was a Thing, though as a Chicagoan I certainly knew of him.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Basically any of his big matches against Cena and the Summerslam Street Fight with Brock (I think 2012?) are his WWE hits, someone else probably has a ROH list

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

rantmo posted:

Are there any particularly good, or at least notable, Punk matches that would be worth watching? I wasn't watching wrestling when he was a Thing, though as a Chicagoan I certainly knew of him.

Money in the bank 2011 vs John Cena was WWE’s only 5 star match for like a 15 year span or something like that. As someone who also started after he had already retired, it’s one of the few I’ve seen, but I remember it being good. But a huge part of that is the atmosphere and storyline of that match.

E: looked it up, it was 21 years. Bret vs stone cold from 97 -> Punk vs Cena -> Andrade vs Johnny Gargano 2018

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 2, 2021

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

rantmo posted:

I remember his feuds with Chavo Guerrero, Jeff Hardy, Cena and Daniel Bryan producing some bangers.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I've been impressed with Christian's entire run, all of his matches have been entertaining in a different way than most AEW matches and he's been insinuating himself well into the talent culture, if Punk can manage that level of run, then it'll be a huge win

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Undertaker vs Punk at Wrestlemania 29 is pretty special just for the crowd reaction. Solidly 50/50 between both guys, until *one point* in the match

Bonus points for that reaction burning out the crowd so much that the following Brock vs Triple H match was dead silence

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
As well as the above matches Punk's shot at the Undertaker's streak at WM29 was ace

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

Punk vs Samoa Joe II from ROH and Punk vs Cena from Money in the Bank 2011 are the two legit amazing ones I'd say.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Can't help but wonder how they're smoothing out the whole situation with him, Colt Cabana, and Doc Sampson... but I'm gonna figure that they're all adults and won't affect whatever they got planned.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Punk vs Joe trilogy in roh

Edit: I thought it was a trilogy

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 2, 2021

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is Doc Sampson a better doc than he was in WWE? Because he sounded terrible in WWE

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jericho's next labor will be sobriety between the next episodes of Dynamite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

They're going to print big fake novelty paychecks made out to Colt for Punk to steal, to appease him.