Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

is that a pack of matches for scale?

Yes. When I was in school I used to keep two of those dictionaries I my pencil case. (Not two of the same, obviously.)

Gonna see if my mum has a normal-sized one, it's not like she needs one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/alex_shephard/status/1422208370237493250
It was nice while it lasted.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Alex Shephard: Spoilsport

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I mean, it's blatantly not the actual Cormac McCarthy.

The guy who runs it is funny, though, so I followed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1423065553221128194?s=20

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

If I want to read Don Quixote is this version translated by Edith Grossman my best bet or should I look to another?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Humerus posted:

If I want to read Don Quixote is this version translated by Edith Grossman my best bet or should I look to another?

You want the version by Pierre Menard

apologies that is a joke

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Humerus posted:

Not really, no.

After a lot of research and comparison a few years ago, I ended up settling on the revised Jervas translation published by Oxford World's Classics (it's not examined in the first link, but I compared it to the excerpts covered and thought it came out favorably), but the first paper I linked recommends the first Norton edition published from 1981 to 1999 (a revision of the Ormsby translation), and even if it isn't "your best bet", if you compare the Grossman translation to the myriad others and find that you like reading it more, you might as well go for it.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 5, 2021

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

I saw this so now you have to as well.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Is it weird that I prefer to measure books' lengths in terms of Kindle's "location" statistic?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I've been using Kindle for a decade now and I still don't understand what a location is. I guess it's no more arbitrary than page is for a print book though.
I just use percentage.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

One thing I always miss about reading a physical copy of a book of the sense of progressing through the book as I turn pages.

I don't like the percentage/time feature on the Kindle and have turned it off because it triggers something in my brain. I end up focusing more than I'd like on "number go up" or feeling like a book is just impossibly long or too short if the percentages increase slowly or quickly. Some part of me feels like I have to maintain some sort of acceptable progress metrics if there's a percentage or time being tracked at the bottom of my screen.

But then with it turned off I have no sense of how far into a book I am, and while I suppose it shouldn't matter, that bothers me too.

I accept this is just my brain being weird, but it didn't bother me as much when I first got a Kindle 10+ years ago.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I experience the exact same thing and blame video games

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Enfys posted:

One thing I always miss about reading a physical copy of a book of the sense of progressing through the book as I turn pages.

what are you talking about, you can physically see and the feel pages move from back to front

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
OP misses that about reading a physical book, right? As in that aspect of it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my bad then

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel the same Enfys

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Forgive me if this comes off as condescending, but, couldn’t you just go back to buying physical books? I dipped my toe into ebooks and they just never felt like the same reading experience.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://mobile.twitter.com/marc_laidlaw/status/1424176878991011843

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

e: double post

Enfys fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 15, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sandwolf posted:

Forgive me if this comes off as condescending, but, couldn’t you just go back to buying physical books? I dipped my toe into ebooks and they just never felt like the same reading experience.

You can, but there’s sunk cost fallacy, the joy of being able to carry 10+ books at once without a bulky bag, the generally lower cost of ebooks vs hardbacks, and then some books never get a physical release.

I take a hybrid approach now and swap between my kindle and a book depending on mood.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Enfys posted:

I don't like the percentage/time feature on the Kindle and have turned it off because it triggers something in my brain. I end up focusing more than I'd like on "number go up" or feeling like a book is just impossibly long or too short if the percentages increase slowly or quickly. Some part of me feels like I have to maintain some sort of acceptable progress metrics if there's a percentage or time being tracked at the bottom of my screen.

But then with it turned off I have no sense of how far into a book I am, and while I suppose it shouldn't matter, that bothers me too.

I accept this is just my brain being weird, but it didn't bother me as much when I first got a Kindle 10+ years ago.

I have the same problem and did finally discover that, at least on the Oasis, tapping the bottom left of the screen cycles through the options. Being able to tap a couple times and see % makes it easier to just check every once in a while.

I doubt I'll ever be able to go back to physical books as a default. For one thing, the ability to raise the font size so I can read without my glasses in bed is pretty killer.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm rereading Shattered Sword and as always it's the humor in this book I love the most:

quote:

It is necessary now to turn to an examination of Yamamoto’s operational plan as it emerged in its final form, a task for which the reader would be well advised to pour a rather tall glass of spirits beforehand.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/DollyParton/status/1425502381895294979

Guess I'm going to read a (co)James Patterson book next year

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Dolly Parton and James Patterson: together at last! Sounds like a joke from a bad early 2000's Simpsons episode.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I have a question about Agatha Christie’s The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. (Looked and didn’t see a mystery thread).

How did Pierot figure out that Flora Ackroyd didn’t actually see Roger that night but instead took the money? He did the experiment with Parker where they re-enacted Parker seeing her at the door to the study and careful note was about the two glasses Parker had. But I don’t see how that helped Pierot figure out Flora was lying. Though I do imagine from other clues he had already figured out Pierot was killed earlier than a quarter to 10

Edit: whoops found the thread

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 12, 2021

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know some good book podcasts?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Idle Book Club, back before it shut down after Chris Remo was hired by Valve and disappeared into the cone of silence.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Book Club for Masochists - a group of librarians pick a genre, read some books from it and then talk about them

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
There's I Don't Even Own a Television, which seems to be on hiatus at the moment.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

what do you call a novel that has a wide spread of characters up and down the class spectrum and depicts the humanity of all of them? not in an attempt to provide some kind of structural analysis but that simply gives some attention to a lot of characters who in a more focused story would be referred to by their jobs or not have their lives explored at all.

i'm wondering because i'm re-reading confederacy of dunces and it occurred to me i always like books that do this. i looked it up and confederacy of dunces is called a picaresque novel but that isn't the aspect of it that i'm talking about, although i definitely recognise that in many books that i've read and liked now that i know what it is.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

roomtone posted:

what do you call a novel that has a wide spread of characters up and down the class spectrum and depicts the humanity of all of them? not in an attempt to provide some kind of structural analysis but that simply gives some attention to a lot of characters who in a more focused story would be referred to by their jobs or not have their lives explored at all.

I'm not sure there is a specific term for this. 'Social novel' is the closest, I guess. I suppose I'd call it a 'slice of society novel'.

quote:

i'm wondering because i'm re-reading confederacy of dunces and it occurred to me i always like books that do this. i looked it up and confederacy of dunces is called a picaresque novel but that isn't the aspect of it that i'm talking about, although i definitely recognise that in many books that i've read and liked now that i know what it is.

Picaresque is short for "a rascal travels around outwitting people", mostly.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Big Scary Owl posted:

Anyone know some good book podcasts?

KCRW's Bookworm with Michael Silverblatt

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/leahmoore/status/1430112166905065479?s=20

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Don't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/AlixEHarrow/status/1431622131683631104?s=20

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

https://twitter.com/AlixEHarrow/status/1431625712264519681?s=19

TIL

It's even by A24 :staredog:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Currently working on my short story about Myron, a young man who is obsessed with the indie films produced by a company called B25. After a disastrous week, Myron buys some glasses from a man who runs a mysterious new shop that has seemed to appear overnight. These glasses transport Myron into the world of several of B25's prominent films. However, Myron comes to learn that the wearing of the glasses carries with it a terrible price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Currently working on my short story about Myron, a young man who is obsessed with the indie films produced by a company called B25. After a disastrous week, Myron buys some glasses from a man who runs a mysterious new shop that has seemed to appear overnight. These glasses transport Myron into the world of several of B25's prominent films. However, Myron comes to learn that the wearing of the glasses carries with it a terrible price.

Is the terrible price that you become a huge cinema nerd? Because you can head to Cinema Discusso for character inspiration :v:

Good luck with your story, PM me if you want someone to read it :buddy: