Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

W3D1: So is there any point to Shoka’s field power? All I’ve seen so far is just a bunch of dead ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, it's for Pigs and a couple optional fetch quests.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Oxxidation posted:

wrong boss. i was talking about the chameleon you fight the day before

Oops, ehehe, misread the day. As someone said before, you can knock it out of the animation just before it goes off, but if you want a more reliable way of dodging it, you can also dodge just before the laser goes off—once the reticle on your active character turns completely red, you have a bit under a second to dodge before the lasers go off. Same applies for the tongue, though in this case it's when the reticle goes completely yellow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah I was trying to time the reticle but still got zapped, guess I’ll just blitz it down if I see it again

I’m on W2D2 and the plot is spinning its wheels a little, but credit is due to Rindo’s VA for these scenes. he always sounds kind of done with everything in general, but there’s a mean, bitter edge to his lines now that really gets across how frustrating the game he’s been. was very cathartic when he finally told shoka to gently caress off

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I take it back, I love these kids just as much as the OG cast now.

Rindo is basically a slightly more social Neku, Fret is Beat 2.0 (though maybe slightly smarter), and Nagi….is Nagi.

Also I’m guessing from the spoiler at the top of this page that the last two party members are Shoka and Neku?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 2, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
W2D6 is my favorite thing in forever what an amazing game

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
So, basically most of the last few pages are spoilered. How is the game? Do I need to optimally always be eating food to boost stats? Should I have started using a mostly useless pin at all times, but at some point needed to use another method of experience to branch it into what would be an incredible pin?

Either way, I'm probably in.

Wow. Just started the anime and hearing the music really brought me back.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Game's good. Yeah, you should probably be always eating food as long as you have the stomach for it, but thankfully you don't need to wait a day to eat bigger foods, you just need to fight some battles. Pin evolution has been mostly painless, pins level up pretty fast and most of them just evolve with normal PP. There are a few pins with "???" evolution that require a certain character to wear them. I'd recommend not looking those up, if only because it'll give you spoilers on the characters that join your party.

It's honestly just really fun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shyfted One posted:

So, basically most of the last few pages are spoilered. How is the game? Do I need to optimally always be eating food to boost stats? Should I have started using a mostly useless pin at all times, but at some point needed to use another method of experience to branch it into what would be an incredible pin?

Either way, I'm probably in.

Wow. Just started the anime and hearing the music really brought me back.

always be eating

the "lol gently caress you read a wiki" form of leveling for this game is that certain pins will only evolve if you master them with certain party members, but they seem to be way, way less common than the alternate pins from TWEWY. i've got around seventy mastered pins in my deck so far and haven't come across a single one

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Shyfted One posted:

How is the game?

Quite good, I feel. It's not going to be as well-remembered as the first game, primarily because the first game already happened; the novelty of the aesthetic and soundtrack back in 2007/2008 doesn't exist now, after multiple other games have taken clear inspiration from the original. Despite that, I think NEO still stands well on its own merits, though it is more enjoyable if you've played the original game.

Shyfted One posted:

Do I need to optimally always be eating food to boost stats?

Not really. Just try not to leave your Fullness gauge empty for an extended period of time and you'll be fine. Don't worry about breaking the game with too-high stats, either, NEO has a pretty aggressive damage ceiling.

Shyfted One posted:

Should I have started using a mostly useless pin at all times, but at some point needed to use another method of experience to branch it into what would be an incredible pin?

No, there's only one type of PP in this game. Evolutions are triggered just by hitting a pin's max level, and mutations are triggered by equipping the pin to a specific character when it hits max level.

Oxxidation posted:

i've got around seventy mastered pins in my deck so far and haven't come across a single one

There's only 23 pins that mutate in the entire game, out of the 312 pins that are usable in combat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one complaint about the music: the vocals for this version of Someday are really bad compared to the original. incredibly nasal. maybe it's the lack of post-processing or something

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Game is great. A few bits have felt kinda grindy and slow, but not enough to really put me off. Combat is really engaging and loaded with options, adjusting level and difficulty to ensure you get drops is still the coolest mechanic of all time, characters and tone and music are spot-on.

You want to eat a lot, yes. You'll basically be loaded with cash from the first Scramble Slam onwards, so it's very easy to keep doing it.

There are as far as I know no branching evolutions for pins, and very few pins with more than two stages total of evolution (I've found one so far that has 3). There are some pins that'll only evolve when equipped to a certain character, the first of which crop up early-ish in Week 2. I've done 2 of those so far, one of which was a pretty standard evolution upgrade, the other of which took a pin from "fine" to "this is really quite good actually." Overall, there's not really any pins I would call outright bad, but there's more than a few that feel like you need something else to complement them to really see how they're good (or maybe the low-end Time Bomb pins are really that much worse than the later ones). The shield pins I'd like to wait for a fifth member to use because building combos in sets of two is a good way to never run out of pin energy while still hitting beat drops.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The first pin with a ??? evolution is available D1/2 of week 1, but it is just the one (Classical Cacophony). The rest are much later, and mostly able to mutate as soon as you get 'em.

Snare Trap is the one psych I'd call least helpful, since it just... does not work in a lot of fights, or against any larger Noise types in general. I'm sure there's a trick to them I'm missing that'd make them viable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some sections/puzzles can be a bit tedious but I like the battle system in NEO a lot more than the first game (it takes a bit of getting used to though) and overall I’m having fun with the sequel in general.

In fact, I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing a few more TWEWY games in the future

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There's some pacing issues here and there, but honestly the story's great and above all the gamefeel is excellent. There was one long section where I probably spent like 3 hours barely advancing the story because of all the battles they wanted out of me, plus some extra I took and it just felt good.

This is a game that benefits the most from the demo. If you enjoy how the game feels there, then you're set to have a blast with the full game.

Also, puzzle talk for W2D5 (or 4?) loved how the first puzzle they give you with the phonebooth comes with "don't worry we'll bail you if you can't figure it out" and i ate poo poo and didn't figure it out until htey spelled it out lol. My eyesight isn't that great and I probably should've gotten a prescription a few years ago now, so the "find the 5 differences" one took me a while, and I had to get up and stand right in front of my tv lol but I really appreciate that the puzzles weren't Too baby mode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the music in this game is decent but so far there haven’t been a whole lot of memorable tracks in my opinion (or at least, nothing quite on the level of stuff like Calling from the first game).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I don't know, I've found some of them to be absolute bangers. I really like Insomnia, Breaking Free, and Your Ocean just to name a few.

Calling is absolutely incredible though, I'll give you that.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Kill the itch, Breaking Free, Rocking Rockin, Scramble, Unpainted... the whole soundtracks golden to me, really.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I'm a big fan of March On (NEO Mix), a track other people strangely don't seem to find that memorable, personally. NEW GAME, the main theme, is also really good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair enough (like I said, the music’s good but none of the tracks so far really stuck in my head as much as the original’s OST did).

On another note, how is NEO doing in terms of sales and overall reviews so far?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah after making that post I started listening to the soundtrack again and I'm having trouble finding a song that I don't love, honestly.

I guess so far my least favorite is O-Parts (aka Gimme Chance)? I wasn't a big fan of it in the first TWEWY and not a big fan of it here either.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

On another note, how is NEO doing in terms of sales and overall reviews so far?

Don't know about sales yet, but the game's sitting at around an 80 average on Metacritic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

Don't know about sales yet, but the game's sitting at around an 80 average on Metacritic.

Like I said, I wouldn’t mind at all if Square keeps making these games every so often.

Also speaking of music, does CALLING itself make a return in NEO at some point?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 2, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I haven't ran into Calling yet, but it's on the soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGLSCBvUhi0

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The new tracks are all really good whenever they play, but at times it feels like it relies way too heavily on the NEO remixes of stuff from the original game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oxxidation posted:

is it actually possibly to dodge the W2D1 boss's eye lasers? drat thing nailed me every time

Slam the dodge button just the moment the entire reticle turns the same color to avoid the laser/tongue. It's really precise though, and you have to dodge to the side, as dodging into the laser will send you into its hitbox. Fortunately the later versions of that noise should be easier to dodge as you get a social network upgrade that really increases the dodge's i-frames by the next time you run into another one of those things, and just doing the dodge at the right time period will avoid the attack, even if you dodge into the laser.

Larryb posted:

Like I said, I wouldn’t mind at all if Square keeps making these games every so often.

Also speaking of music, does CALLING itself make a return in NEO at some point?

Yep. It played at the end of W2D2 when you got your 4th party member.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

Slam the dodge button just the moment the entire reticle turns the same color to avoid the laser/tongue. It's really precise though, and you have to dodge to the side, as dodging into the laser will send you into its hitbox. Fortunately the later versions of that noise should be easier to dodge as you get a social network upgrade that really increases the dodge's i-frames by the next time you run into another one of those things, and just doing the dodge at the right time period will avoid the attack, even if you dodge into the laser.

Yep. It played at the end of W2D2 when you got your 4th party member.

Oh right, is that the only time it plays though?

Off the subject, another poster mentioned a pin called Heartthrob Launcher. What’s the name of its unevolved version, how do I obtain it, and is it any better than the attack + healing pin I already have (Topo the Ingenious)?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
One neat thing that I don't think people have mentioned is the Social Network and the way all the nodes interact.

Like there's a bunch of people that branch off of the Prince because he's famous and influential and they either know him personally or at least follow his blog (and a couple have been inspired to start their own).

The shopkeeper for the Hog Fang store on Center Street is an underground pit fighter who was convinced to work for the shop by the promoter of said pit fights (the shopkeeper at the other Hog Fang location, as it happens) to improve his social skills. And apparently meeting Fret has inspired him to really try to open up more, which is why his node is connected to Fret's.

There's a side quest in the middle of week 1 where this random kid is worrying about his homework from cram school (cuz he loves math and not much else; I think he branches off Minamimoto, too). And you need his node to get to a couple shopkeepers, one of whom is his older sister, while the other splits her time between the shop and teaching at his cram school.

Just a lot of dumb little details that make the world feel more alive and connected.

Also like that Beat's node is the one that leads to Kariya and then Yashiro.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

Oh right, is that the only time it plays though?

Off the subject, another poster mentioned a pin called Heartthrob Launcher. What’s the name of its unevolved version, how do I obtain it, and is it any better than the attack + healing pin I already have (Topo the Ingenious)?

Cuddly Launcher. I don't remember exactly where you get your first one, but it's not a noise drop. So it either drops from a pig, or is a one time reward from playing the game. You can eventually buy more from a store though. It's an energy rounds pin though.

Can't speak for exactly how good it is, as efficiency for all the pins hasn't been dug up yet. (Yes it's in this game too, but it works a bit differently from TWEWY. Each individual hit has its own efficiency rating here instead of one rating being assigned per pin, with finishing blows typically having a higher one.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 2, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, my favorite detail with the social network so far (MAJOR week 2 spoilers) is that Motoi’s node is just a copy of one that you should already have unlocked by that point in the story, just to drive home that he’s truly an uncreative hack.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I loving hate Fret’s puzzle gimmick, that is all

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 2, 2021

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
W2D6 Rindo, please explain to me how on earth you finishing the scramble slam earlier gets you to Shibuya Stream earlier... when the doors outside the slam area didn't open until the slam ends anyway, and Motoi was also stuck inside the area with you.

Edit: Oh my loving god Motoi stop interrupting me with a cutscene in this fight every five seconds

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 2, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

There's actually a trick that makes it super trivial. The answer is always in a cardinal or ordinal direction. So move the control sticks north, northwest, west, etc. Wait for a second or 2 after doing so, as there's a delay in the fragments reaching their spot. Makes it much quicker and easier to get them done.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

I find it easiest to do one stick at a time. Might help that I'm using a Gamecube-style pro controller and the game only seems to have states for cardinals and ordinals so the eight-way gates make it easy to lock in a position.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

There's actually a trick that makes it super trivial. The answer is always in a cardinal or ordinal direction. So move the control sticks north, northwest, west, etc. Wait for a second or 2 after doing so, as there's a delay in the fragments reaching their spot. Makes it much quicker and easier to get them done.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try next time. So is W2D4 the most I have to use said gimmick or are there a few more sections coming?

Also I assume those Ghost Noise (for lack of a better term) get explained at some point (I haven’t actually finished said day yet)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 2, 2021

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.
Nagi might be more of a static than dynamic character, but I appreciate what she brings to the party member table as their sort of de-facto tactical advisor, and I actually like this little twist on the female otaku/yumejoshi archetype. You'd think from looking at her character design and her personality that she's socially awkward/ignorant, bad at people-ing, cares more about 2D than 3D, etc. but actually (Week 3 spoilers) she's very socially perceptive (the fact that she picked up on Fret and Rindo's tension in Week 2 almost instantly, getting a feel for the types of people the other team leaders and Shiba are) and is constantly gauging reactions and tailoring her behavior and words. Her trying to comfort Shoka by introducing her to EleStra was very sweet. :unsmith: I also laughed harder than I should've when I saw that the other husbando on the home screen of EleStra was not-Beat, to accompany not-Minamimoto.

Then again, I should have noticed earlier due to the pattern with the other party members' abilities. Rindo, who's reactive and tries to avoid making decisions because he doesn't want to deal with the responsibilities that follow, has Replay, which hinges on him taking responsibility for making decisions that affect the final outcome of not only their own fates, but also those of others. Fret, who puts on a carefree facade and avoids taking things seriously due to past trauma (I think it's implied his friend committed suicide?), has Remind, which digs through surface-level stuff to get to deeper, forgotten thoughts (and in Week 3, surfaces their true selves from the Plague Noise, for a moment at least). Nagi has the ability to Dive into other people's minds, and she can endure having them conflict with her own. After she gets over the whole "whoa I have psychic powers now???" shock, it's shown that she's perfectly capable of swimming in those sorts of emotional waters, even if it's a bit psychologically taxing.

chlorophylls fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 2, 2021

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Regarding the "lol use a guide" nature of ??? evolution pins:

You can actually unlock a FP-expensive skill towards the end of the game that reveals the evolution conditions without needing a guide.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Just a little warning. The W3D4 boss apparently prone to softlocking the game. Autosaves don't make it too much of a time loss but I just got hit by that, and apparently it's somewhat common enough to be known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Starting postgame stuff and I'm not seeing one right now, but is there an equivalent to Hollow Leg?

e; I imagine it'd be a high rank Metabo Boost or something, rather than a flat "no fullness ever" thing, at least.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 2, 2021