Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

lmao 15 years ago there would've been goons going along to the loving courthouse in person, probably all wearing fedoras "but, like, ironically"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Doesn't help that we basically haven't had a mental health system in this country outside of private therapists hanging a shingle out front

E: since Regan

Basic Poster has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Aug 2, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The whole thing is incredibly gross on like twelve different levels.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

bike tory posted:

lmao 15 years ago there would've been goons going along to the loving courthouse in person, probably all wearing fedoras "but, like, ironically"

I feel almost certain that there were Chris-chan threads way back when but I imagine anyone who still gives a poo poo has long since been run off the site

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I saw the vid of Chris Chan being arrested and the losers following them around, but honestly assumed I would get probed if I brought it up here

it's pretty fuckin gross

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The whole thing is incredibly gross on like twelve different levels.

It's crowd sourced harassment of a person in need of care in a system that structurally won't provide it and I weep for the species.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If the world was right Chris-chan wouldn't be sent to a jail but an institution years ago. The horrible people online who for years have been goading them on to this eventually awful thing are the ones who should face consequences. Not that it's possible but plenty of us are guilty in a small way. Just for laughing along.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Yeah I remembered the Chris Chan saga from back in the day and didn’t catch any of it, then stumbled on a big long video about everything that happened last year and started to watch/listen to it thinking it was going to be another internet loonie to laugh at. I didn’t get too far before getting profoundly disgusted/saddened and I never even got to the really bad stuff. The whole thing is hosed up and sad even by 2005 SA standards.

Enjoy some marine biology memes.

i own every Bionicle has a new favorite as of 22:21 on Aug 2, 2021

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gently caress yes isopods

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

i own every Bionicle posted:

Yeah I remembered the Chris Chan saga from back in the day and didn’t catch any of it, then stumbled on a big long video about everything that happened last year and started to watch/listen to it thinking it was going to be another internet loonie to laugh at. I didn’t get too far before getting profoundly disgusted/saddened and I never even got to the really bad stuff. The whole thing is hosed up and sad even by 2005 SA standards.

It started because Chris was originally discovered being a creep to women, which made it "safe" to laugh at him*, so people gave themselves carte blanche to be mean as poo poo - no amount of gaslighting/trolling/mindfuckery was off the table. This is the worst of internet trolls doing everything in their power to destroy a person with an extremely poor grip on reality.

We DID participate in the saga here at the start, because it was fairly harmlessly trolling a person who seemed primarily like a creepy rear end in a top hat. It turned into way, way worse than that over the past decade, and the extremely hosed up things that happened recently are a direct result of that continual trolling. They wanted this to happen, and it's horrifying.

*I'm...really getting confused about how to properly use pronouns to tell the story at this point and still be easily understood, I know that she now identifies as female, but understanding that they started looking like a big goober dude is important to context. I'm not trying to be offensive and if I'm loving up please tell me.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I had no idea who Chris-Chan was. I just looked them up and I think I remember a Contrapoints video that mentioned them? Anyways, I don't think I understand anything what the gently caress.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

theflyingorc posted:

It started because Chris was originally discovered being a creep to women, which made it "safe" to laugh at him*, so people gave themselves carte blanche to be mean as poo poo - no amount of gaslighting/trolling/mindfuckery was off the table. This is the worst of internet trolls doing everything in their power to destroy a person with an extremely poor grip on reality.

We DID participate in the saga here at the start, because it was fairly harmlessly trolling a person who seemed primarily like a creepy rear end in a top hat. It turned into way, way worse than that over the past decade, and the extremely hosed up things that happened recently are a direct result of that continual trolling. They wanted this to happen, and it's horrifying.

*I'm...really getting confused about how to properly use pronouns to tell the story at this point and still be easily understood, I know that she now identifies as female, but understanding that they started looking like a big goober dude is important to context. I'm not trying to be offensive and if I'm loving up please tell me.

My main reaction to this is that it seems to me the SA of the time would not have been particularly fussed to put up a fig leaf of “it’s okay because they are a creepy rear end in a top hat”.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A friend of mine who was never that online before fell into a YouTube hole of watching a multihour several episode documentary on Chris Chan and he started talking about it and I was like "Hmmm I vaguely remember a thread about Chris Chan like a decade ago how is this still a thing."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was a kid and saw a lobster at EKA-market and touched it and it moved and I almost shat myself. I had no idea anything in the fish/meat/cheese counter was alive. (Luckily they didn't sell casu marzu. That would've ended my love of dairy.)

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what the gently caress, i could have sworn i'd turned my monitor on

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Could we possibly have a rule against posting about her? If you have to ask why, you're the reason why.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Could we possibly have a rule against posting about her? If you have to ask why, you're the reason why.

Yes. No Chris Chan in the meme thread please. The whole situation is just vile and it’s basically impossible to separate the memes from that, especially with the recent events.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Yes. No Chris Chan in the meme thread please. The whole situation is just vile and it’s basically impossible to separate the memes from that, especially with the recent events.

Good call. I was the one to bring it up and I'll happily eat a sixer

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I do not want to pet the isopod. Or see that other thing, please.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Thank you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Basic Poster posted:

Good call. I was the one to bring it up and I'll happily eat a sixer

No need!

Speaking of sixers, No1Curr memes are going to be a coin flip sixer soon! I’ll run it for three days. Whoever catches the most sixers gets a gift cert for a new av. Just trying to find a good meme for the probe, suggestions welcome.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Speaking of sixers, No1Curr memes are going to be a coin flip sixer soon!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Just trying to find a good meme for the probe, suggestions welcome.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

theflyingorc posted:

the world: we didn't start the fiiiirreeeee/it's been burning since the world was turnin'

goons: no, we started this poo poo. we tried to put it out, but it was too late at that point.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

about the Army, Navy, Airforce and Marines?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Memento posted:

about the Army, Navy, Airforce and Marines?

About transformers because they’re more than meets the eye?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

About transformers because they’re more than meets the eye?

It's crazy to me that FNM had the whole "man caring about poo poo is so loving lame you losers" thing from the early 90s down pat five years early. It's like, some movies from 1991-92 feel very very "80s", there's some spill over the other direction as well. Plus that bass fuckin' slaps, figuratively and literally.

I know, I know,

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
That song is forever ruined by association with the QVC CHUD.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
gently caress it yolo

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Roll em

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
:rolldice:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I dont have any no1curr gifs on my phone, so I'm borrowing Sally's

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I got Moon Moon.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Zokari posted:

I got DONG Dong.

Memento