Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yup anyone who thinks they don’t know that song DEFINITELY knows that song. That was my reaction when it kicked in, and also my gf and friend’s reaction when I played it for them later hahaha.

Edit: I also have a VHS tape (yes I’m one of those guys that still collects VHS) that’s a best of the SNL season you’re talking about! It’s got some Pee Wee sketches. I think one of the other hosts is Ronald Reagan’s SON?!!

Re-creating the famous Risky Business dance scene, no less. An odd year, it was

I clipped the "Life in a Northern Town" performance. You can watch it on my Google Drive. Dude going ham on the timpani steals the show

Moai Ou posted:

The whole thing weighs a good 15 pounds/3 Garth Brooks sets.

I want you to know that I appreciated this.

caligulamprey posted:

Man I didn't get any bonuses for working throughout the pandemic, all I got was PTSD. :smith:

You really should check your PMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Turbinosamente posted:

Tee hee my wave of vinyl has started to arrive.

I didn't realize I got the Galaxy color of Hot Motion, and dang if it isn't really pretty. These days color vinyl isn't all that special but this I super like, probably because it's close to primary colors.

I ordered some poo poo from Alternative Tentacles about a month ago but their fulfillment is all hosed up because they were told their warehouse wasn't up to code and just before that they had a big sale and got a deluge of orders right around the time Jello put out a new album. And then of course they're an indie label. So Alternative Tentacles is chaos right now. Which is fine because they're a small label and Jello Biafra is the best. The wait will make the music sound even better!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/jen_powers43/status/1421943344834490370?s=21

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

OH poo poo. I was just about to say I've never heard this song but then they did that part from the Pure Moods commercial. So technically I've never heard the song but I remember the Pure Moods part. Apparently they also did the cover of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want that was used in Ferris Bueller's Day Off which I didn't even realize was a cover. Also that's not "NA NA NA" it's "MA MA MA".

You must be one of the three people in Earth who never saw the Pure Moods commercial. I have to assume you were born in the mid-late 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJSjrox_2s

Fake edit: Okay it turns out Life in a Northern Town was on Pure Moods II, but Jesus H. Christ you could not escape those loving commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKBNYCOjn4A

Sail away, sail away, sail away, hey!

Wasn't Life in a Northern Town also in a Coca-Cola commercial?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Picked up a few albums while out antiquing, I think the winner so far is Tangerine Dream’s Exit.

On another note, anyone know where to find the numbers of certain pressings? I’m curious how many LPs of Melissa Etheridge’s Yes I Am that Island Europe put out.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

pwn posted:

Re-creating the famous Risky Business dance scene, no less. An odd year, it was

I clipped the "Life in a Northern Town" performance. You can watch it on my Google Drive. Dude going ham on the timpani steals the show

Thanks for sharing; this rules

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CPL593H posted:

Pure Moods

Yeah, I was born in 1993 but somehow missed these infomercials! The Buzz Ballads ones are etched into my brain, though! Plus the annoying Shirley Temple compiliation informericals...

My partner marvels that certain 90s/early 2000s songs just...skipped me somehow? Two examples off the top of my head are Butterfly by Crazy Town and Flagpole Sitter by Harvey Danger....I never heard those songs until the past couple of years, when viewing a "stupid 90s songs" YouTube comp.

Part of it may have been growing up in the Bible Belt? I definitely know some irritating 90s/2000s country songs (as well as crunk and Christian rock) that he had never heard of and had apparently never reached out here to California.

Man, now the Buzz Ballads infomercials are stuck in my head again....

Very minor skip during Money for Nothing on my Dire Straits album! Boo.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Don Giovanni Records jokingly put out a press release years ago that they were going to do Pure Moods as an RSD release and fast forward seven years and it sounds pretty reasonable.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, I was born in 1993 but somehow missed these infomercials! The Buzz Ballads ones are etched into my brain, though! Plus the annoying Shirley Temple compiliation informericals...

My partner marvels that certain 90s/early 2000s songs just...skipped me somehow? Two examples off the top of my head are Butterfly by Crazy Town and Flagpole Sitter by Harvey Danger....I never heard those songs until the past couple of years, when viewing a "stupid 90s songs" YouTube comp.

Part of it may have been growing up in the Bible Belt? I definitely know some irritating 90s/2000s country songs (as well as crunk and Christian rock) that he had never heard of and had apparently never reached out here to California.

Man, now the Buzz Ballads infomercials are stuck in my head again....

You didn't miss out on anything. Also, Monster Ballads commercial or GTFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCiXKpO94g

It really goes to show you how insidious advertising is that I not only remember all this bullshit but what songs were in the commercial and sometimes the order.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Fake edit: Okay it turns out Life in a Northern Town was on Pure Moods II, but Jesus H. Christ you could not escape those loving commercials.

Sail away, sail away, sail away, hey!

Life in a Northern Town is, according to something I read back in the day, about Nick Drake

who didn't live in the North at all

and also from the moment I made the connection and put the two together, I have always wanted to play a medley of Orinoco Flow and Sister Ray (since they're in the same key and you can pretty easily mutate the riff from one into the other.)

as far as pure moods on vinyl goes, the predecessor compilations (Moods: A Contemporary Soundtrack and Moods ACS 2) do exist

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Moods/release/2142237
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Moods-2-A-Contemporary-Soundtrack/release/2358264

and contain the vast majority of the material that would go to make pure moods as we know it, but also include a lot of other stuff that is on the whole, absolutely baffling, including tv theme tunes for british shows I've never seen (two different inspector morse tracks, poirot)

and I'm tempted to get those. the thing with some hypothetical future release of pure moods on vinyl is, tho, that there are actually a couple-few different versions of that CD - the 1994 version had chariots of fire, little fluffy clouds, another green world (and inspector morse of all the loving things), the 1997 version got...a remix of the x-files theme

(and adiemus and makambo and a couple other tracks but that x-files poo poo is the corniest goddamn thing. makambo rules tho)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

Life in a Northern Town is, according to something I read back in the day, about Nick Drake

who didn't live in the North at all

and also from the moment I made the connection and put the two together, I have always wanted to play a medley of Orinoco Flow and Sister Ray (since they're in the same key and you can pretty easily mutate the riff from one into the other.)

as far as pure moods on vinyl goes, the predecessor compilations (Moods: A Contemporary Soundtrack and Moods ACS 2) do exist

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Moods/release/2142237
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Moods-2-A-Contemporary-Soundtrack/release/2358264

and contain the vast majority of the material that would go to make pure moods as we know it, but also include a lot of other stuff that is on the whole, absolutely baffling, including tv theme tunes for british shows I've never seen (two different inspector morse tracks, poirot)

and I'm tempted to get those. the thing with some hypothetical future release of pure moods on vinyl is, tho, that there are actually a couple-few different versions of that CD - the 1994 version had chariots of fire, little fluffy clouds, another green world (and inspector morse of all the loving things), the 1997 version got...a remix of the x-files theme

(and adiemus and makambo and a couple other tracks but that x-files poo poo is the corniest goddamn thing. makambo rules tho)

I really hope no one gets the brilliant idea to release the Pure Moods comp on vinyl because there's enough worthless garbage clogging up the pressing plants and the only reason anyone would buy it would be as a joke but then people will balk at the price so it'll just be collecting dust at record stores and Walmart. And yeah that version of the X-Files theme is terrible and holy poo poo does it not capture the feel of that show at all. It's the epitome of lovely 90s electronic music.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

You didn't miss out on anything. Also, Monster Ballads commercial or GTFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCiXKpO94g

It really goes to show you how insidious advertising is that I not only remember all this bullshit but what songs were in the commercial and sometimes the order.

I’m pretty sure I could recite the freedom rock commercial perfectly if I had to

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I am genuinely shocked that nobody has gone ahead with an LP release of Pure Moods. You’d clean up with irony/nostalgia dollars.

Oh man you could make it a really trippy colored vinyl too

WAIIIHH-YAI-HAAAAAA

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I’m pretty sure I could recite the freedom rock commercial perfectly if I had to

I hardly watched television throughout the 1990s and in fact seldom listened to the radio either. But I have some like that from my childhood and I still remember the one little snatch of a song as well as all the others in the commercial. when I was a little boy in the rural midwest, it was the previous generation advertising records on television, as well as K-Tel of course. Enoch Light actually used to advertise on TV. So did Roger Whittaker. That's the only way I had of being familiar with those performers, and how I knew "Fools Rush In" when UB40 covered it, LOL. When I was a child I had a picture of just dozens of fools rushing past me sort of like on the Metro platform or something, but with sort of psychedelic lighting. FOOLS! I'd cry as they rushed past, to the left and to the right, but they'd stop for no man.

And as for Enoch Light and the Light Brigade, they were the leaders in the most awkward attempts at embracing modernity with a wind/brass ensemble. Some of their albums are absolute winners as candidates for an Austin Powers movie soundtrack. There were other bands in the Salvation Army record bins that fit the bill pretty well too, but none that sounded so much like later Devo.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
I'd 100% buy a pure moods vinyl release and then sail away, sail away, sail away...

IIRC Enigma got sued several times over unlicensed samples and settled. They honestly may have never even got the exposure they did if it weren't for these dumb commercials that have been forever drilled into my brain from childhood.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I would imagine some folk get upset whenever Pitchfork's even mentioned but their review was p funny if you appreciate the compilation's place in time

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/various-artists-pure-moods-vol-1/

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

hexwren posted:

It's funny how Orinoco Flow permeated the cracks and crevices of American media at the time. I don't really have much recollection of this advertisement but those 4 bars or so going sail away, sail away, sail away were inescapable.

Was there a SNL skit about escaping from Enya's Orinoco Flow at any point?

petit choux fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 2, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

I would imagine some folk get upset whenever Pitchfork's even mentioned but their review was p funny if you appreciate the compilation's place in time

I've never read a better Pitchfork review. Thank you.

ED: oh, jfc, we could just have a thread about pitchfork reviews.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 2, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Holy poo poo, reading that review and then listening to the commercial brought me deep back into the 90s for a few minutes. Good lord. Back when drifting along in a softly lit world beyond time or whatever was a possibility.

Pure Moods (and the albums that it was drawn from) was SUPER popular in my 90s unitarian universalist youth group.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Holy poo poo, reading that review and then listening to the commercial brought me deep back into the 90s for a few minutes. Good lord. Back when drifting along in a softly lit world beyond time or whatever was a possibility.

Pure Moods (and the albums that it was drawn from) was SUPER popular in my 90s unitarian universalist youth group.

LOL this has opened a Pandora's box of nostalgia here guys. I was dating the "priestess" of a CUUPS group (Covenant of Unitarian Universalist PaganS) in '89, her entire life was an Enya song. Unfortunately my entire life was a Kerouac book. I've been debating getting this CD now that you all have brought it to my attention, just endless LOLs. And just sail away, sail away, sail away ...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's that or putting out something you really really want (Koyaanisqatsi full soundtrack) in a stupidly depressed amount like they're making graphics cards or something

I got the bastard but at what cost

at what cost

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's that or putting out something you really really want (Koyaanisqatsi full soundtrack) in a stupidly depressed amount like they're making graphics cards or something

I got the bastard but at what cost

at what cost

That's what I want to know. Hopefully under $30.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Heaven isn't too far away
They taught us how to love
Give me something to believe in
They taught us how to live
Can you take me high enough?
And now they're back. Monster Ballads. 35 powerful hits on 2 CDs and 2 cassettes.
"It's awesome!"
Is this love...
Whitesnake
...that I'm feeling?
Just to be the next to...
Mr. Big
...be with you.
Europe
OOOOHHHHH CAAAARRRIIIIEEEE
Don't know what ya got...
Cinderella
...till it's gaaaawwwnnn
More than words...
I'm gonna take ya by surprise and make ya realize, Amanda.
The huge hits on monster ballads will take you higher.
Headed for a hearbreak
Winger
Firehouse
When I look into your eyes
Take me to the magic of the moment
No there's no one home in my house of pain
No one knows more about passion than the legendary artists of Monster Ballads.
When I see you smile
Love is on the way I can see it in your eyes
This 35-track collection is not sold in stores.
Don't close your eyes
Rush delivery available
And I can't fight this feeling
Every bad boy has a soft side. Get Monster Ballads
Baybeeeaaaayeeeaaaah I can't choose when I'm with you oooohhhhwooooaaahhhhhh
To order call the number on your screen or visit our website. 2 CDs, $26.99. 2 cassettes, $21.99. Do it now!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Bloodplay it again posted:

And now they're back. Monster Ballads. 35 powerful hits on 2 CDs and 2 cassettes.
"It's awesome!"
Is this love...
Whitesnake
...that I'm feeling?
Mr. Big
...be with you.
Europe
Cinderella
...till it's gaaaawwwnnn
More than words...
Headed for a hearbreak
Winger
Firehouse
When I see you smile
Don't close your eyes
Rush delivery available
To order call the number on your screen or visit our website. 2 CDs, $26.99. 2 cassettes, $21.99. Do it now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtSEJul0104

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My favorite thing about Enya is that she classifies her music in a genre called Enya.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

petit choux posted:

That's what I want to know. Hopefully under $30.

I think it was a little over $90 actually

but I loving love Koyaanisqatsi and I'd have paid that in a second for a regular release of the full album

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

My favorite thing about Enya is that she classifies her music in a genre called Enya.

She's 100% right though.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

caligulamprey posted:

she also lives in a castle that she outbid michael flatley for! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manderley_Castle

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

caligulamprey posted:

I have a specific section for prince records labeled “Prince” no one else has that genre in my collection.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Bloodplay it again posted:

"It's awesome!"
Is this love...
Whitesnake
...that I'm feeling?
Mr. Big
...be with you.
Europe
Cinderella
...till it's gaaaawwwnnn
More than words...
Headed for a hearbreak
Winger
Firehouse
When I see you smile
Don't close your eyes
Rush delivery available

My drat childhood!

What are the goon-owned labels/record stores, folks? I know Stumpy Frog is one, are there others? I feel like someone mentioned one of this thread's posters own one?

Also, for some reason, I had assumed Light in the Attic was Europe/UK based, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the shipping costs were so low to mail from Washington to here in California. :)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

dorium posted:

I have a specific section for prince records labeled “Prince” no one else has that genre in my collection.

Now that I think about it in my CDs Sparks did get their own special section, and Queen sort of did because the box sets are big. LPs are straight alphabetical though except for the Triumph box set because that's big too, and keeps flopping open all the drat time. :argh:

Anyways wave one was from the axis of evil, wave two is from discogs:

Some times cheap reissues are a good thing, even if it has come lightly scuffed despite being new and sealed.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

My drat childhood!

What are the goon-owned labels/record stores, folks? I know Stumpy Frog is one, are there others? I feel like someone mentioned one of this thread's posters own one?

Also, for some reason, I had assumed Light in the Attic was Europe/UK based, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the shipping costs were so low to mail from Washington to here in California. :)

What's for Breakfast Records and Ship to Shore.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

petit choux posted:

when I was a little boy in the rural midwest, it was the previous generation advertising records on television, as well as K-Tel of course. Enoch Light actually used to advertise on TV. So did Roger Whittaker. That's the only way I had of being familiar with those performers, and how I knew "Fools Rush In" when UB40 covered it, LOL. When I was a child I had a picture of just dozens of fools rushing past me sort of like on the Metro platform or something, but with sort of psychedelic lighting. FOOLS! I'd cry as they rushed past, to the left and to the right, but they'd stop for no man.

lol

CPL593H posted:

What's for Breakfast Records and Ship to Shore.

Needlejuice mfker

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 2, 2021

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Hope I'm not too late for Pure Moods chat. Skeleton Dust Records is/was selling the cd with a locally made pin for $15 and I figured why not grab it. Got it mostly for nostalgia but there are some decent tracks on here too.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
God I must be that little bit too young because I don't remember Pure Moods at all but I remember seeing a whole shitton of Time Life sets advertised. Then again I was a woefully unobservant kid.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I barely remember the Pure Moods commercials. I do however remember the little CD kiosks in Walmart and Meijer with a bunch of new age samples to listen to. I'd love to get one for my place.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CaptainBeefart posted:

I barely remember the Pure Moods commercials. I do however remember the little CD kiosks in Walmart and Meijer with a bunch of new age samples to listen to. I'd love to get one for my place.

Oh man those things. My parents would never let me listen to them, I think they were afraid I'd catch some disease off the headphones. What more bizarre is the local independent pharmacist has one in his shop and last I looked the CDs had copyrights from the late 2000s and maybe 2010s so they might still be a thing, barely. They were still all new age nobodies with maybe a couple faith based ones snuck in.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

You goons made me buy these:

... for my wife, mostly. She probably has some of them already though. I think the Klezmatics is for me though. Seven bucks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRvbnNwL54I

Ol' Slim gained a minor cult following in the late 70s. This fucker sold three million copies of this album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

petit choux posted:

You goons made me buy these:

... for my wife, mostly. She probably has some of them already though. I think the Klezmatics is for me though. Seven bucks.

Don’t you feel better buying them though