Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
What is happening here?

https://www.lalashops.nl/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-rgb-game-pc-streaming-computer-rtx3070-r9-gam-a3

AMD Ryzen R9 3900X - RGB Game/Streaming PC - RTX 3070 - 1TB M2.0 SSD - 32GB RAM - Gamdias - Win10 Pro
For € 1.999,00

Is this to good to be true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Orions Lord posted:

What is happening here?

https://www.lalashops.nl/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-rgb-game-pc-streaming-computer-rtx3070-r9-gam-a3

AMD Ryzen R9 3900X - RGB Game/Streaming PC - RTX 3070 - 1TB M2.0 SSD - 32GB RAM - Gamdias - Win10 Pro
For € 1.999,00

Well, that's still a fair bit more than you'd pay in USD for a 3070 machine in America. I don't know what prices are like in europe, but I wonder if that CPU is inflating the price a bit (it's a bit over the top for a gaming rig).

Speaking of US prebuilts, Newegg has this mediocre-looking 10400F/3070 machine for $1450. That's one of the best deals on a 3070 machine I've seen. The CPU isn't great but it's not going to be a hindrance at 1440p. The case looks crappy but a couple extra fans could get it into decent thermal conditions, maybe. Sale ends in 18 hours if it doesn't sell out first.

one day later edit: that deal's still going for now but there are several decent open box deals (usually means used but returned within the initial return window for reasons other than technical issues) at newegg right now, in case anyone is still looking for deals on a decent prebuilt.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 2, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Orions Lord posted:

What is happening here?

For € 1.999,00

That's not a noteworthy deal. The parts are all individually decent but they're kind of mismatched - the 3900X is a last generation 12 core processor which is overkill for gaming purposes and is probably why they're trying to justify a €2000 asking price. A 5600x would be a much better match.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Thanks, all. Your insights are very helpful.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LuckyCat posted:

Coming back to this from like 10 pages ago. I am ready to put my wallet down so my plan is to reserve everything through Microcenter's website and then pick it up in the morning.

I was reviewing my choices and looking at some other options, but I noticed that the Microcenter website seems to indicate that the B550-A isn't compatible with DDR4-3600 memory? Halp! I am also a little stoned so I very well could be reading it wrong.

Aight components acquired. The only thing I forgot to research is the PSU. After telling the guy at Microcenter I’d never get a 80 or 90 series RTX card he said I’d be fine going with an EVGA 750 BQ. Is this a decent PSU for a system w/ a ryzen 5600x and 1080ti (and future 60 or 70 series RTX card)?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
one of the tech youtubers i follow has bad things to say about EVGA power supplies idk how accurate that is. i feel like a hundred bucks for a bronze power supply isn't great? maybe a regional thing again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aren't PSUs like RAM where two companies manufacture them for the whole world

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

Aight components acquired. The only thing I forgot to research is the PSU. After telling the guy at Microcenter I’d never get a 80 or 90 series RTX card he said I’d be fine going with an EVGA 750 BQ. Is this a decent PSU for a system w/ a ryzen 5600x and 1080ti (and future 60 or 70 series RTX card)?

Can't speak about EVGA specifically, but I got a 750W PSU (Corsair RMx 750) for a 5600X and 3070 Ti combo, I think you'd be okay in terms of wattage.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Generally buying bronze rated PSUs is not recommended.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Generally buying bronze rated PSUs is not recommended.

I’ll try using my previous PSU first. It’s gold rated and is still under warranty. My current rig is having issues that I think are related to power which is why I decided to get a new PSU just in case. I just forgot to research it before I went to the store, which is like an hour drive.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
There were some 750W and 850W PSUs which were hitting OCP limits with the higher end 3000 series cards. Seasonic at least revised a bunch of their units due to this occurring.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there a recommended brand for the B550s? When I got my 450 it was all about the MSIs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a recommended brand for the B550s? When I got my 450 it was all about the MSIs.
Not really, I have an MSI and I like it, but if it’s a B550 and a decent manufacturer it’s fine as far as I have heard.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I have the Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro (the ITX version) and it's good so far even though I bought it refurbished. There are complaints that the built-in Bluetooth craps out after a while and requires a hard reset (hasn't happened to me) and that the 2.5-gigabit ethernet port needs to be capped at 1 gigabit or it becomes unstable (haven't experienced yet either) but take that with a grain of salt. I had an MSI board before this and I will say that the BIOS was way better and easier to navigate.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp my worst fears were realized. I got the build together and everything works great… but it’s having the exact same issue as my previous pc. The only component in common is the GPU. :(

Under heavy load, games go dark and freeze. I’ve tried many games and it seems to happen quicker when the game is demanding or the settings are cranked up. I can buy myself more time by turning settings down, but that is dumb.

Am I hosed or is there a way I can troubleshoot the GPU? Temps seem fine. I used Afterburner to turn fans on max and still after a while, the game froze with the GPU still at a reasonable temp.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

Welp my worst fears were realized. I got the build together and everything works great… but it’s having the exact same issue as my previous pc. The only component in common is the GPU. :(

Under heavy load, games go dark and freeze. I’ve tried many games and it seems to happen quicker when the game is demanding or the settings are cranked up. I can buy myself more time by turning settings down, but that is dumb.

Am I hosed or is there a way I can troubleshoot the GPU? Temps seem fine. I used Afterburner to turn fans on max and still after a while, the game froze with the GPU still at a reasonable temp.

What GPU do you have?

You could try doing an under volt to prevent it hitting max load.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah undervolt and see if it still crashes.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It’s a 1080 ti. I will try undervolting it! Should I try like, 5% at a time or so and keep reducing until it stops crashing (if it stops crashing)?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LuckyCat posted:

It’s a 1080 ti. I will try undervolting it! Should I try like, 5% at a time or so and keep reducing until it stops crashing (if it stops crashing)?

I'd go by maybe 20mV at a time. The range of usable voltages tends to be pretty narrow. Go too low and you'll get more crashing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LuckyCat posted:

I'd downclock it as well by like 100MHz if it keeps crashing once you've undervolted.

e: wait can you even enter negative clock offsets in afterburner?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My Dads web browsing computer that I built based off of suggestions in an older thread has died. I'm about 99% sure it's an issue with the motherboard (red led on next to VGA, doesn't output any video through either the integrated graphics or a GPU I tried.

I know nothing about Ryzen. What is a good sub-$100 micro atx motherboard (case is a cooler master Q300L). I believe the APU is the 2200G, I had a MSI B450M Gaming Max motherboard in it right now.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

LuckyCat posted:

Let us know if this works since it sounds a lot like my 770ti that I had to replace.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This is a bit of a dumb question, but I did my build yesterday/today (already got Windows in too, just having some activation issues), and want to make sure I've plugged in all that I can.

My motherboard is the ROG Strix B550-F (Wi-Fi, not that it matters), and that seems to have one addressable Aura RGB Gen 2 header, and two Aura RGB headers. The Gen 2 one has pin no.3 blanked, and I have plugged in my case LED there (which has a matching cable, +5V, Data, blank, Ground). Now, I want to plug in my GPU bracket, a CoolerMaster ELV8, which has a similar cable, but the only free pins on the motherboard are the Aura RGB ones, which are +12V, G, R, B, with no pins blanked.

I can't plug both of them in, right? Or at least not without a splitter or adapter.

This is what the cable looks like (bottom left, the one with the one blanked pin, I know about the other two). Or would I be okay with the SATA one?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 3, 2021

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
My new graphics card doesn't have DVI. Should I get HDMI or Display Port?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

pisshead posted:

My new graphics card doesn't have DVI. Should I get HDMI or Display Port?

Whatever is fine since I'm guessing you don't have a monitor with different requirements or you wouldn't be in here asking about that! In rare cases you need to make sure you're using the appropriate HDMI/DP standard but I'm sure it's fine for normal use cases.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Most of the best monitors display at their fastest refresh rates only over DP now so get one of those cables so you're set whenever you do upgrade.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Supposing I got an ITX case with an RGB strip, but put in a motherboard without an RGB connector - is there an adapter to power it so it will at least work with default settings?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
This is a dumb question, but I have a port on the front of my case for a usb-c connection, and I think I found the header on the motherboard, but I cannot find what wire I would need to run from the motherboard to the front of the case. Googling keeps getting my usb-c cables, and I can't figure out the name of this wire/part.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

LorneReams posted:

This is a dumb question, but I have a port on the front of my case for a usb-c connection, and I think I found the header on the motherboard, but I cannot find what wire I would need to run from the motherboard to the front of the case. Googling keeps getting my usb-c cables, and I can't figure out the name of this wire/part.

You're looking for a header cable, but it should come with / attached to the case.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

You're looking for a header cable, but it should come with / attached to the case.

Thanks, that did it! The case did not come with it, and has a plastic/rubber plug filling the hole.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LorneReams posted:

Thanks, that did it! The case did not come with it, and has a plastic/rubber plug filling the hole.

Can you post the case? That’s very odd and not standard at all.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Can you post the case? That’s very odd and not standard at all.

I found the part on Amazon, and this was the first review:

quote:

I believe they should have had this installed with the case, not charge you an extra $15 to fill up the useless hole on top of the PC.

So it seems to be a thing. It's the Lian Li Lancool.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

LorneReams posted:

I found the part on Amazon, and this was the first review:

So it seems to be a thing. It's the Lian Li Lancool.

This is really weird and amateurish. All the reviews say the screws included with the cable don't fit and the installation process is terrible.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, I just wanted to install this thing I will probably never use LOL

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

tried rebuilding on a new motherboard and i'm still getting the cpu error light so i guess i fried it somehow. I tried flashing the bios, using 1 stick of ram, re-seating the towercooler, reapplying thermal. still get no signal to the monitor.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Maybe a stupid question but do you have a GPU that you're connecting?

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Butterfly Valley posted:

Maybe a stupid question but do you have a GPU that you're connecting?

Maybe a stupid answer, yeah i have an ancient loving radeon like 4570 or something... I had thought that it might just be dead due it it laying around for a decade but i figured the gpu debug light would be the one that lit up and not the cpu light

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm struggling to get my head around certain compatibility things when it comes to re-homing my PC into a smaller case.

I've got:
- MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 motherboard
- i7 9700K
- Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 memory
- Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
- MSI 3080 Ti Suprim X

Currently sat in a Cooler Master Stacker 830 case I got in probably 2006:

It's got space for 12x 3.5" discs! I've got none. It's massive, it's a waste of space. I want to fulfil some of my teenage dreams and put this stuff into a smaller case with:

- AIO CPU water cooler
- Vertical GPU mount
- A window and pretty lights on these bits

There are some bits I've seen that I like, specifically the NZXT Kraken X73 RGB 360MM AIO water cooler and so far I like the Phanteks P400A and the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic cases, however the main thing I am unsure of is how the vertical mounting works. Mainly how to ensure I get a bracket which is both compatible with the case and also provides adequate airflow for this GPU. Are these cases suitable for that and won't starve the GPU of fresh air? Does it depend on the bracket? Can anyone suggest what the best way of approaching this is?

Edit: Oh and the other thing I don't understand is how this RGB lighting stuff is now controlled. I've seen mention of how various components are compatible with control systems but how does this work? Is it a different power connection with another channel? Is it meant to integrate with the case?

This is the story of what happened since and all the mistakes I made.

I decided on:

- Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic case
- NZXT Kraken X73 AIO 360mm cooler
- NZXT Aer fans
- NZXT RGB controller & internal USB hub
- Regular GPU mount for now, consider vertical later

I then went ahead and ordered the PC-O11 Dynamic Mini case by mistake - didn't realise until it arrived. Rather than piddle about sending it back and waiting for another I leant into it (I'd considered that case anyway) and ordered a Corsair SF750 small PSU to fit in it. I then realised I hadn't considered airflow direction and all the NZXT fans were good for was extraction so I ordered some basic blue LED Corsair fans. I also realised the X73 AIO wouldn't fit so I ordered the X63 280mm one - all same day delivery.

The additional stuff arrived and I started installing things - got the board in, the X63 AIO, the NZXT fans, everything connected. I tested with the onboard GPU and it booted which I considered a miracle. I then realised that the PCI-E power cables wouldn't reach my GPU so I had to order 3x extensions. Once they'd arrived I got them fitted and used a 24-pin cable comb to link them together to look a bit nicer, got them plugged in, fitted the Corsair fans. Powered it on, everything worked, booted fine on my 3080 Ti.

I haven't got to using it yet or even logging into Windows to set up RGB control (edit: with NZXT CAM it's all working). There is still an issue with airflow in that I've got:

- 3x 120mm intake
- 4x 120mm + 2x 140mm exhaust leading to negative pressure

I am hoping to address this via controlling speeds. In time I may swap some of the fans around too. The GPU doesn't sag (looked like it did but I checked with a spirit level), but after the saga of getting the cables fitted I'm not going to mount it vertically.

Things I have learned:

- Check what I'm ordering so I don't get the wrong thing
- Consider direction of airflow through fans before buying them
- Plan intake/exhaust fans better
- The ATX board size made this more difficult
- Cable combs are awesome - I love how they look and I love how they neaten up cabling

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 4, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I need a bigger PC case that can actually fit all my poo poo in it. I know next to nothing about hardware. What's the standard sizes for PC cases and what should I be looking for if I'm running out of room in my current one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What are you trying to add that won't fit? Hard drives?