Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
SWG Afterlife was born from the ashes of Stardust, started from the same codebase from Levarris, did some balancing and made some changes to the Jedi path (same types of badges needed to be glowing, you just needed more of them) and added a bunch of content that tried to replicate the old NGE heroic instances, plus a lot more crafting schematics. I played up until I had Jedi, grinded for a bit, then went on to other things (I had a Jedi Knight on Stardust so I was a bit burnt out) It lasted until January 2021 but the admin archived the database so it could come back someday. But I really enjoyed the Stardust/Afterlife combat - only a health and action pool, no monochrome ability icons, no buffs needed to start out (although you'd need them for high level stuff). Some of the combat abilities seemed redundant (with the removal of the mind pool, rifles weren't really a big deal anymore) but things were tweaked over time. I couldn't find much time for it by the end, but I wish it still existed.

Edit: I remember the admins saying they had Levarris' blessing in creating the server but of course he hated it?

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

HiriseSoftware posted:

SWG Afterlife was born from the ashes of Stardust, started from the same codebase from Levarris, did some balancing and made some changes to the Jedi path (same types of badges needed to be glowing, you just needed more of them) and added a bunch of content that tried to replicate the old NGE heroic instances, plus a lot more crafting schematics. I played up until I had Jedi, grinded for a bit, then went on to other things (I had a Jedi Knight on Stardust so I was a bit burnt out) It lasted until January 2021 but the admin archived the database so it could come back someday. But I really enjoyed the Stardust/Afterlife combat - only a health and action pool, no monochrome ability icons, no buffs needed to start out (although you'd need them for high level stuff). Some of the combat abilities seemed redundant (with the removal of the mind pool, rifles weren't really a big deal anymore) but things were tweaked over time. I couldn't find much time for it by the end, but I wish it still existed.

Edit: I remember the admins saying they had Levarris' blessing in creating the server but of course he hated it?

The combat just sounds like CU combat though, right? I wish more people liked that era of the game. It was so short, though

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

GoGoGadget posted:

The combat just sounds like CU combat though, right? I wish more people liked that era of the game. It was so short, though

My memory of CU is just a blur. CU still had HAM though, and ways to damage each pool. With Stardust, Levarris took the pre-CU HAM and changed it to just health and action where health was the only damageable stat (more or less). Action was only used for abilities. Some status effects could damage action, like a bleed. He took all of the pre-CU skills and reworked them to just damage health - the problem was, how would pool-specific abilities like "Head Shot" work? Sometimes it would just do damage, other times he added status effects too. At first there was no reason to take Rifleman - in my experience Carbineer had the best damage skills, like the area damage abilities. He tweaked a little bit after a while after feedback from myself and others. Plus I was the first Jedi on the server so I had a lot of input there. But there's still redundancy in the skills. The game felt like pre-CU with elements of NGE, and that's why I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the awesome XP caps and no AFK timeout!

Edit: I've looked into Restoration 3 and I think I'll give that a try!

Edit: So I'm playing Restoration 3 and I guess CU combat only had health as the stat where you'd do damage too? I didn't remember that - I'm not clear on what reduces action what reduces mind - I'd have to assume combat for the former non-combat for the latter. Even so, I'm attacking with a pistol and it is SLOW - much slower than pre-CU. Plus you can't queue up attacks. I think if Stardust used pre-CU weapon behavior but skills similar to CU, it would probably be better. The skill UI in R3 sucks though.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 30, 2021

Harmdog
Jul 26, 2021

Did entertainer buffs exist pre cu? I don't know the player counts on swgemu servers but I would image if low things like buffs would be hard to acquire.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Some abilities in CU used mind or action. Medical abilities primarily use mind. You also had some abilities that could drain, reduce the Regen of, or stop the Regen of mind/action. Which affected whether the other player could use abilities.

The only thing that could incap/kill a player was the health pool, though.

One thing that bothers me about the CU is the lack of auto damage (white damage). Can make combat a bit of a click fest where I spend more time staring at my action bar than the actual combat on screen.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Ricki Rick posted:

Did entertainer buffs exist pre cu? I don't know the player counts on swgemu servers but I would image if low things like buffs would be hard to acquire.

Yes, pre-CU they were essentially mandatory, along with Doc buffs.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I just hope R3 doesn't evaporate like it's predeccessors. CU genuinely was the height of the game's combat mechanics, like why the gently caress would you want hour long duels between space karate people?

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I think it needs some tweaks and balances, make some professions more relevant, balance others, etc. But it seems like the devs are actually interested in doing that, too. Not just a purist copy of CU. Last I checked, their goal was to get to a baseline of what the CU was, then update and tweak from there.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

honestly when swgemu first got going i thought everybody agreed that pre-CU combat sucked and we'd end up seeing new combat mechanics grafted onto pre-CU-like or CU-like environments. it's taken a surprisingly long time for anything like that to materialize

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

It's probably a mixture of people not knowing CU was even a thing, people always thinking what was there first was better, and new players believing the older players that said that. There's also just the nostalgia attached to preCU when the community interaction was at it's height

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
The problem right now with Restoration 3 is finding weapons that are close to your level at my stage in playing. I was using CL 1 CDEF weapons until I reached CL 10, then I purchased a carbine for 6500 which is lot at the beginning. One of the quests was nice enough to give me a CL 14 carbine too, but combat can be pain at these low levels - I'm going through the Legacy quests now and most of the time I'm just avoiding combat and just getting XP on quest completion. Make sure you are holding the weapon you want XP for when you complete the quest, because it gives you XP for that weapon (and Combat XP). My plan I think is to go TKM/Commando but I've been training up some other branches in the meantime just because I need to raise my CL to equip the weapons that are on the vendor. Weapon certifications in pre-CU were better than the CL-locked weapons in CU, in my opinion.

In live, my characters were converted from pre-CU to CU as CL 80 so CL-locked weapons were never an issue.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 31, 2021

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
If you are planning on doing the legacy quests, you should get a weapon often enough (starting at the CL14 presumably VK you picked) that you don't need to buy one until you master a combat profession to be at or higher than CL54. R3 in particular has it set up so that all weapon crafters can make any weapon at CL54 so you can get whatever weapon you want cosmetically or with whatever stats you want, which is nice and allows for variety other than "this is the server best weapon for this profession." It does suck using no weapon until CL14 as TKA though.

I am still TKM/Pikeman because I wanted area attacks like leg sweep, which are apparently locked behind other professions with the CU. FWIW, I vastly prefer the setup R3 has over what I played in 2004 because most of my game time was spent waiting in lines for buffs, but I got to CL80 without a single buff. Due in no short part to the 5x XP of course. I just wore clothes and didn't bother getting armor until Pikeman master, too.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, the most "efficient" grind is to definitely focus on just one profession until you hit CL54. At that point, you can use any weapon you come across, which will make leveling another combat profession a lot easier. That first 1-14 hump is a pain in the rear end, especially for ranged professions. I think it'd help if there was a CL 7 reward in there. Just something to give a small DPS boost to make the dungeon crawl at CL14 less painful.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Is there a goon guild on R3? Im gonna download it tonight

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GoGoGadget posted:

Is there a goon guild on R3? Im gonna download it tonight

I think our best bet might be to infiltrate an existing guild for the time being, given the relatively small player base. Hit me up in game, Gi'staak Viko.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Does borderless windowed mode just not work? It still functions as fullscreen.

Theophany posted:

I think our best bet might be to infiltrate an existing guild for the time being, given the relatively small player base. Hit me up in game, Gi'staak Viko.

I tried adding you to my friends list, but nothing happened. I'm probably just not doing something correctly. My name is Sodie Pops ingame.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

Bloodplay it again posted:

If you are planning on doing the legacy quests, you should get a weapon often enough (starting at the CL14 presumably VK you picked) that you don't need to buy one until you master a combat profession to be at or higher than CL54. R3 in particular has it set up so that all weapon crafters can make any weapon at CL54 so you can get whatever weapon you want cosmetically or with whatever stats you want, which is nice and allows for variety other than "this is the server best weapon for this profession." It does suck using no weapon until CL14 as TKA though.

I am still TKM/Pikeman because I wanted area attacks like leg sweep, which are apparently locked behind other professions with the CU. FWIW, I vastly prefer the setup R3 has over what I played in 2004 because most of my game time was spent waiting in lines for buffs, but I got to CL80 without a single buff. Due in no short part to the 5x XP of course. I just wore clothes and didn't bother getting armor until Pikeman master, too.

I didn't choose a VK until level 16 from a quest reward but thankfully I could use it by then. I started with the idea of mastering marksman thinking that was needed for Commando (I guess it isn't in CU? Of course the skill UI doesn't say) so now I'm trying to make my way up VK slowly. I haven't joined any spin groups or have done any regular missions. What is the 5X XP you speak of? Is that just a comparison to live or a group bonus thing?

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
You gotta fiddle with the settings in the launcher (gear icon in upper right) for windowless mode

I haven't been on in over a month, but last I played, they were having a lot of trouble with tells and friends lists. Has something to do with the social stuff being on the same server as the game. I heard they were working on putting tells/group chat/friendlist on a separate server. Most people have been using Discord in the meanwhile.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

There's no auto-attack on R3, right? I could have sworn the game always had auto-attacks...it's even a keybind you can set (although a lot of that seems to be from the NGE.) The creatures definitely have them!

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Not in the sense you're thinking, where you auto-swing without any input from the player and without causing a global cool down. There is a basic melee and ranged attack that doesn't cost action or mind points to cast, but it resets the global cool down. To can set it to auto-cast (Ctrl+l-click), but if you set up your keybinds any way besides the default, it could gently caress up how that works.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

SoUncool posted:

Not in the sense you're thinking, where you auto-swing without any input from the player and without causing a global cool down. There is a basic melee and ranged attack that doesn't cost action or mind points to cast, but it resets the global cool down. To can set it to auto-cast (Ctrl+l-click), but if you set up your keybinds any way besides the default, it could gently caress up how that works.

I did this for my basic attacks and it put the little check mark next to the icon, but it never attacked automatically. Is this R3's "AFK mitigation" or a bug, or something else?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

HiriseSoftware posted:

I did this for my basic attacks and it put the little check mark next to the icon, but it never attacked automatically. Is this R3's "AFK mitigation" or a bug, or something else?

You can set that as an auto attack then you use the keybind to toggle it, but it's really iffy if it fires or not. I just use a macro to fire off 4 attacks in each of the first toolbar slots, it's not perfect but it works. Just beware that you can get caught out when you need an emergency heal and your macro has sucked up all the cooldowns.

My current biggest gripe is the XP bars not reading correctly and disappearing whenever you train or swap zones, really annoying. That and the mail server working only when the winds in the right direction, makes keeping a vendor stocked somewhat painful when you don't know what's sold.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I don't remember junk items for skill suits being a thing in the CU, but it is on R3. It is my biggest pet peeve of the game. I absolutely loathe having to keep track of all the junk items. And all it does is encourage people to AFK grind low level humanoid mobs, and clog up inventories.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

Burt posted:

You can set that as an auto attack then you use the keybind to toggle it, but it's really iffy if it fires or not. I just use a macro to fire off 4 attacks in each of the first toolbar slots, it's not perfect but it works. Just beware that you can get caught out when you need an emergency heal and your macro has sucked up all the cooldowns.

My current biggest gripe is the XP bars not reading correctly and disappearing whenever you train or swap zones, really annoying. That and the mail server working only when the winds in the right direction, makes keeping a vendor stocked somewhat painful when you don't know what's sold.

Yes, the XP bars flaking out like you say, no way of knowing what the skill prerequisites are, it doesn't show what kind of XP you need for a box (although it's easy to figure out if you're familiar with pre-CU) and it thinks I have an unlimited amount of skill points. No little animation when I reach a skill box threshold either. And sometimes I can't click on the Master boxes.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
As much as I missed the old days, the later day city defend/Invasion battles were insanely fun and whenever I go to any of the OG servers I kind of miss that type of pvp

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GoGoGadget posted:

Does borderless windowed mode just not work? It still functions as fullscreen.

I tried adding you to my friends list, but nothing happened. I'm probably just not doing something correctly. My name is Sodie Pops ingame.

Looks like the friend system is borked, hence why the Discord is so active! My bad, but if you're game for doing some group content let's meet up!

As to looted armor always being junk, i think this is a deliberate design decision that absolutely was not the case on live because they're heavily leaning into the idea that crafters should always be the go to people for gear (I could well be wrong on this, but I'm just going on previous sentiment from the project leaders).

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Theophany posted:

Looks like the friend system is borked, hence why the Discord is so active! My bad, but if you're game for doing some group content let's meet up!

As to looted armor always being junk, i think this is a deliberate design decision that absolutely was not the case on live because they're heavily leaning into the idea that crafters should always be the go to people for gear (I could well be wrong on this, but I'm just going on previous sentiment from the project leaders).

I mean literal junk items being used in reverse engineering to create items that buff stats on armor. They're random drops from humanoid or droid enemies and it's a huge pain in the rear end.

What time zone are you in? I'm EU, so if you're NA it night be difficult to play together

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Wait CU has RE that uses junk loot?

I remember that being a NGE thing

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

Goast posted:

Wait CU has RE that uses junk loot?

I remember that being a NGE thing

Restoration 3 is a combination of CU and NGE. CU combat with NGE quality of life additions and other things, like the appearance tab, collections, chronicles, etc.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Yeah, it seems to be a heavily modified NGE build of the game. Which I guess is good. The worst part of NGE besides the junk loot meta was the classes being destroyed.

The more I play it, the more I'm disliking it. Maybe leveling as TKA just sucks? I don't know. The Legacy quests are so much more difficult than they should be, having gone through them in the NGE.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 1, 2021

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

GoGoGadget posted:

Yeah, it seems to be a heavily modified NGE build of the game. Which I guess is good. The worst part of NGE besides the junk loot meta was the classes being destroyed.

The more I play it, the more I'm disliking it. Maybe leveling as TKA just sucks? I don't know. The Legacy quests are so much more difficult than they should be, having gone through them in the NGE.

It's TKA. I have been doing it as a TKA and as a Carb, and even though my carb guy is 3 levels lower it's WAY easier.

I think the best way to do it is group up and get a couple of levels under your belt and revisit it. I have been doing this but still, there are points where something that is 5 levels below you and makes you double heal in a fight really sucks, and yes, I have a PSG and basic armour.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I think it's also the legacy quests. They can get really repetitive after a bit. There were only so many caves I could venture into before I felt like I was losing my mind. I eventually dumped that and joined a grind group. Made the experience more enjoyable, personally

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

SoUncool posted:

I think it's also the legacy quests. They can get really repetitive after a bit. There were only so many caves I could venture into before I felt like I was losing my mind. I eventually dumped that and joined a grind group. Made the experience more enjoyable, personally

The spider part of the legacy quest is the descent into madness. The questline was introduced over a series of publishes on live so it never felt as maddeningly boring as it does now when you can just do it start to finish.

Also the meatlumps theme park loving suuuuuucks.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I've done the legacy questline many times. The monotony of it doesn't bother me, it's that I'm having issues soloing mobs 1v1 as a TKA and have to use Center of Being and many self-heals to get through any 1vX situations, whereas the same quest in NGE is just hit button kill dude in two shots.

I don't have any armor or anything and just now got the knuckler, so maybe I'm going about it the wrong way. I'll try something like Carbineer or Rifleman and see if it's better.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
Outside of doing legacy quests (currently on Ephant Mon at Jabba's), I've been doing NPC missions from the terminal for quick money which would be "quick" if not for the obscene amount of time it tells to destroy the "lair". Those Jabba quests so far hardly give any money, and I'd like to join the spin groups on Dantooine but I can't even afford to get off the planet!

At novice TKA (and before that, brawler 4xxx) my trick is to sweep them as the first attack to knock them down, and just lay into them as fast as possible. Oh, and the global cooldown sucks. But right now I've lost the will for questing and I'd like to join a spin group at some point. I could dance for tips...

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 1, 2021

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GoGoGadget posted:

I've done the legacy questline many times. The monotony of it doesn't bother me, it's that I'm having issues soloing mobs 1v1 as a TKA and have to use Center of Being and many self-heals to get through any 1vX situations, whereas the same quest in NGE is just hit button kill dude in two shots.

I don't have any armor or anything and just now got the knuckler, so maybe I'm going about it the wrong way. I'll try something like Carbineer or Rifleman and see if it's better.

Don't you find that the xp levels wildly outlevel you for the questline? I did it as TKM and whilst it was a bit of a slog to begin with, once you get a decent weapon you start slicing through it to the point where the only time I was getting xp was on quest hand ins. It made grinding medical xp a nightmare.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Theophany posted:

Don't you find that the xp levels wildly outlevel you for the questline? I did it as TKM and whilst it was a bit of a slog to begin with, once you get a decent weapon you start slicing through it to the point where the only time I was getting xp was on quest hand ins. It made grinding medical xp a nightmare.

Not so far, no. In fact I had to grind a bit to get TKA novice before finishing the White Thranta Shipping quests because the dudes in bottom were wrecking me if I got more than one at a time.

I've been playing on Legends most of the day doing absolutely everything in the tutorial for whatever reason. I just can't seem to beat these last space missions, though. They start spamming missiles when you have no access to countermeasures or shifting power levels.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

HiriseSoftware posted:

Outside of doing legacy quests (currently on Ephant Mon at Jabba's), I've been doing NPC missions from the terminal for quick money which would be "quick" if not for the obscene amount of time it tells to destroy the "lair". Those Jabba quests so far hardly give any money, and I'd like to join the spin groups on Dantooine but I can't even afford to get off the planet!

At novice TKA (and before that, brawler 4xxx) my trick is to sweep them as the first attack to knock them down, and just lay into them as fast as possible. Oh, and the global cooldown sucks. But right now I've lost the will for questing and I'd like to join a spin group at some point. I could dance for tips...

Just go get a free space ship from the smugglers alliance guy in Eisley cantina. The galaxy is now your oyster. You don't even need to ever go into space. The person who gives you the very first starter quest will even give you a wp and mission to become a pilot. And I cannot say this enough times, you never have to ever even launch your ship, just use the travel option.

I joined my first spin group last night. We did 2 full sets of missions, so that's 14 total I think and I went from novice commando to 33xx and medic x3xx to 4xxx combat medic. Took maybe 2 hours tops. gently caress the theme park.

Also do the nyms starmap quest if you have someone at 80 who will help you on Dath. Thats about 700k xp plus some sweet space loot.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

Burt posted:

Just go get a free space ship from the smugglers alliance guy in Eisley cantina. The galaxy is now your oyster. You don't even need to ever go into space. The person who gives you the very first starter quest will even give you a wp and mission to become a pilot. And I cannot say this enough times, you never have to ever even launch your ship, just use the travel option.

I joined my first spin group last night. We did 2 full sets of missions, so that's 14 total I think and I went from novice commando to 33xx and medic x3xx to 4xxx combat medic. Took maybe 2 hours tops. gently caress the theme park.

Also do the nyms starmap quest if you have someone at 80 who will help you on Dath. Thats about 700k xp plus some sweet space loot.

Ha, I have to remind myself that this isn't SWGEMU or some flavor of it, it's something else - I forgot that JTL exists here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

GoGoGadget posted:

I am not sure what the concern over having to self-heal is, it's literally part of the rotation and fits into the GCD dance in between the Melee Hit and Melee Strike cooldowns. (these two moves are on separate CD's so should be alternated back and forth, if you're not using both you're doing it wrong). I am literally blasting faces of poo poo 5-8 levels higher than I am and not dying, yes there's a lot of self-healing but that's uhhh what it's there for?

This is coming from someone that started playing this about two hours ago for the first time ever. I've never played CU and only about 10 minutes of NGE.