Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1420715596161880065

art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

IT KEEPS HAPPENING LMAO

https://twitter.com/realkyledawson/status/1421681123290226688?s=21

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

University of Oklahoma's president confirmed part of the reason (likely a very big one) they're leaving the Big 12 is they were sick of Fox pushing them to do 11AM eastern kickoffs

AP posted:

“What has changed between 2012 and today?” Harroz said. “The answer is everything.”

Harroz said it became apparent the Big 12 would be “last in line” for television networks among the power conferences when it came to landing a new TV deal. That would mean, among other issues, more less-than-desirable 11 a.m. kickoffs for many games for the Sooners.

“Being last in line has consequences,” Harroz said. “You’ve heard conversation from (Castiglione) talking about not enjoying 11 a.m. kickoffs. Our fans talk about that. It also matters to student-athletes. When those who go before you, in terms of negotiations for 2025 and beyond, if those premiere slots are already taken up, it impacts things in a material way. It translates into disadvantages in recruiting the top talent, disadvantages for our student-athletes and a detriment to the fan experience.”

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Wusses, getting drunk before 11 am builds character.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

Right but who wants to STOP drinking at like 10:30 to go sit in the loving hot sun at 11am on a Saturday in September in loving Lubbock, or Austin, or Norman?

I remember being that age and the later the game started, the more excited I was. More time to drink.

Now? Give me a goddamn noon start and get it over with. I hate night games.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I love how he even called it right before it happened.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MourningView posted:

You can stare drinking exactly as early for a 1pm kickoff too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I love 11 am kickoffs, but I’m old and get up early. I hate night time games, even when I was young and stayed out late because I was usually doing something on a Saturday night. 11 am games let me watch the game and then get on with my weekend. I know I’m an anomaly though. Doing marching band for 11 am games did suck though.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
>50% of the reason why I've been watching F1 racing and European soccer is that they're on at the perfect time for me, an east coast parent with young kids. Coverage starts when my daughter wakes me up and the game/race is over by her first nap? Perfect

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I'm basically an old, but I still hate that Ohio State plays the Fox Big Noon Kickoff almost every week.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, Fox has been trying really hard to make their noon game A Big Thing, and at this point the largest Big Ten ratings draw is Ohio State by an enormous margin.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1422945798799577088

There have been 157 30 for 30s, and the fact that Netflix beat them to this story is shameful on the part of ESPN.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Edward Mass posted:

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1422945798799577088

There have been 157 30 for 30s, and the fact that Netflix beat them to this story is shameful on the part of ESPN.

The NBA might have fought them on it, for a long time it was the only thing they'd pull off YouTube

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I was watching on tv that night and I think that brawl is the most amazing thing I've ever seen on live tv. I was so psyched by the fight itself and by the fact that the Pacers had just thrown away the eastern conference title to Detroit by running into the stands.

Feel bad for Stephen Jackson though, he was just trying to defend his friend

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Hmm now another reminder of aging. That Grantland oral history of malice is 9 years old.

https://grantland.com/features/an-oral-history-malice-palace/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NBC is putting Notre Dame football's home opener against Toledo exclusively on Peacock. I get that at some point you have to sell that service if you're NBC, but fans already don't give a poo poo about a team's game against a paycheck opponent, and I can't imagine this is much incentive to draw those fans.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1423292224758898698

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

DJExile posted:

NBC is putting Notre Dame football's home opener against Toledo exclusively on Peacock. I get that at some point you have to sell that service if you're NBC, but fans already don't give a poo poo about a team's game against a paycheck opponent, and I can't imagine this is much incentive to draw those fans.

I think you underestimate the Notre Dame brand.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
There are going to be a lot of old people who are initially confused and then angry about the Notre Dame/Peacock thing when that day finally arrives, and I'm pretty sure old people make up like 60-70% of Notre Dame's fan base.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NBC had been putting Notre Dame's home game against a throwaway opponent on NBCSN for a few seasons now so this is the next logical step but I feel like most of those older fans are going to wonder why it's not on TV, grumble about it, then just check the score the next day. I got a hard time believing a big chunk of them are the types to buy a streaming service just to watch a game against a MAC team.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just wonder about like sports bars and poo poo. Like, is BW3 really gonna subscribe to a loving streaming service to show one game?

The beauty of sports bars was always “oh poo poo I don’t get that channel, guess I’ll go to the bar to watch it”.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Believe me, my day job is in the restaurant business, and we don't have the technical capabilities money for streaming.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah absolutely no bar or restaurant is signing up for one game, especially not one like this.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ace Jameson posted:

There are going to be a lot of old people who are initially confused and then angry about the Notre Dame/Peacock thing when that day finally arrives, and I'm pretty sure old people make up like 60-70% of Notre Dame's fan base.

I feel like the target demographic for a Notre Dame - Toledo game are people who have no idea what a streaming service is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think the idea is probably that the majority of people who are going to watch Notre Dame/Toledo are die hard fans who would be willing to do things like shell out 10 bucks or whatever peacock costs just so they didn't miss one game

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i mean they already charged to watch us men's olympic basketball live

i think we all listened to the lebatard conversation today about how sports are moving to streaming services

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It was actually very easy to watch us basketball live for free without Peacock if you had a cable log in they just never told people how to do it. Which now I kinda wonder if the same thing will happen with the Notre Dame game.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea this move seems designed to make it clear that people aren’t going to sign up for Peacock. I just don’t see enough people caring to shell out the time and money to get this game. God help the grandkids of some old Notre dame fan though as they desperately try to get this set up at home.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FRESH BEEF

https://twitter.com/secretbase/status/1424035675310014465?s=21

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I just wonder about like sports bars and poo poo. Like, is BW3 really gonna subscribe to a loving streaming service to show one game?

The beauty of sports bars was always “oh poo poo I don’t get that channel, guess I’ll go to the bar to watch it”.

I mean I don’t know what sort of corporate plans they have but I would imagine a small place having an All Of the Channels sports package would also allow them to use that cable login on a place like Peacock? How have many of those places been running the Premier League the past few years?

The better question is if they’ll have a streaming stick or box setup to run those streaming options.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BobbyBigWheel/status/1424784638946549761

yoooooo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/cdgoldstein/status/1424795073301078019

oh boy

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pima County has pulled $40,000 of funding from the Arizona Bowl since the barstool shitheads are running it now

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Good.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1425443691221725188

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nate Burleson loving owns.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ameazyyy/status/1425479681281708033

Jenny Taft was not having any of Skip's bullshit

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Good for Nate

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

howe_sam posted:

Good for Nate

Yeah he seemed chill during the Nickelodeon game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Nate wrote an article last year listing his top five teammates and three of them were Culpepper, Winfield and Moss. Yeah man I agree that was a cool team.