Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Pro-tip for anyone doing an MSFS install from scratch. The first time it asks you do download the base gamedata, choose a custom folder in an easy to reach location. If you need to wipe the game, or have Steam do a file check, rename the folder to something else, then refer to it again on next start. Like this you can avoid downloading this poo poo again. You need to do this for a Steam check, too, which for some reason wipes the ancillary downloaded data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Why does a Boeing 747 not have as nice of a GPS as that little icon plane?

Also I saw a player called a goon army just leave Narita airport, wondering if its someone who posts here.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ChocNitty posted:

:allears:

This is where baby sim enthusiasts get to learn all about the wonders of type certification!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

Because every time you install new equipment into an airplane, it has to be recertified as airworthy in the new configuration. The 747 first got a GPS receiver option at some point in the 1990s. Since that old system still does the job, neither Boeing nor the airlines buying the plane have much interest in installing something newer and shinier and having to pay for certification again.

Airlines also don't want to spend money retraining their current 747 pilots to use a new set of avionics if they don't have to.

The Icon A5 is a fairly new design so it gets fancy new avionics as a matter of course.

e: what MrYenko is getting at is the really hosed up regulatory loopholes that airlines and manufacturers will use to make a new version of a plane that still technically counts as the older version, thus avoiding having to get recertified. The 737 MAX crashes were fundamentally the result of Boeing trying to make a completely new airliner that still counted as a 737-200 from 1967 from a regulatory standpoint, so that the aircraft wouldn't need a new type certificate and pilots wouldn't have to be retrained.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 1, 2021

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Digital Foundry put up an interview with MSFS's technical director. I'll admit a lot of the details flew over my head, but it's great that are they so open about it. Certainly a million times more insightful than the incessant screeching of "Asobo dum! And bad!" you get at places like their official forums. A big theme is that there still was and is a lot of legacy code in there from older versions of Flight Simulators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32abllGf77g

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

beer_war posted:

Digital Foundry put up an interview with MSFS's technical director. I'll admit a lot of the details flew over my head, but it's great that are they so open about it. Certainly a million times more insightful than the incessant screeching of "Asobo dum! And bad!" you get at places like their official forums. A big theme is that there still was and is a lot of legacy code in there from older versions of Flight Simulators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32abllGf77g

Asobo has done an amazing job with the tools they were given. "Here's Bing map, here's a bunch of Flight Simulator code from 20 years ago, make AAA"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
One day mankind may understand how the MSFS patcher works to be able to manage patching and installs without downloading 100gb twice a year but that day is not now. Got a new NVME to help me manage things, copied over the folder which I think was 75% done from the last time I started to do this, told the patcher about the new folder, and it seemingly deleted the folder to start again :confused:

Good news is it gives some time to patch some of the weird stuff. Bad news is maybe that will wipe the content again too if I don't finish in time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I like how the buttons/switches highlight when you go to click them now.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You really have to delete and reinstall the data folder and also clear all of your inputs otherwise su5 breaks in all sorts of strange ways.

Yesterday it started crashing at startup and it took a reinstall to fix it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

slidebite posted:

I like how the buttons/switches highlight when you go to click them now.

Me too. I think they could have made the labels a little smaller -- they're clearly designed for Xbox players looking at the screen from across the room -- but the way they work is very intuitive. Clicking on the control and pushing your mouse in the direction you want it to go is much better than e.g. the DCS model where you can never remember whether ON is left click or right click, or which way the mouse wheel is going to turn the dial.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody here actually tried FS2020 on Linux through Steam's stuff? I wonder how well it generally works. I am likely doing a lot more Linux stuff at work with an aspiration of taking that elsewhere so I'm trying to see if I can get most of my home stuff in place to work on Linux too.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody here actually tried FS2020 on Linux through Steam's stuff? I wonder how well it generally works. I am likely doing a lot more Linux stuff at work with an aspiration of taking that elsewhere so I'm trying to see if I can get most of my home stuff in place to work on Linux too.

Proton has a compatibility listing for it. Keep in mind stuff breaks and unbreaks constantly with these releases, so gaming on Linux tends to be more a game of having the right version at the right time. It hasn't fundamentally changed (it's still Wine plus hacks) but the hacks keep getting better. It's a big rabbit hole to go down but if you're doing it for the sake of a fun project, there ya go.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Finally settled down and played MSFS for the first time. I lost six hours of my day, Jesus I fell face first right back down the sim flight rabbit hole.

My biggest problem was my controller constantly fighting with my mouse for focus when I was trying to manipulate stuff in the cockpit.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Couple of work arounds for some bugs I've found on Series X.

In tutorials, if it doesn't progress to the next step, cycling views and spinning the camera 360 degrees seems to jog it on. Also helps with the selection of rudders and switches in the first couple of tutorials.

On the Yosemite bush trip, the navlog won't be able to be resized or turned off unless I first close it in the top menu first then re open it. (It just closes to a immovable black window)

If I then toggle the actual viewable switch off and on again in the settings after clicking L3 it becomes useable. The OSD can then be resized and moved/minimized/closed.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Are any of the small jets worth it is FS2020? I want somthing small and fast to whizz through mountain passes but don't want to pay 20 bux for a broken mess.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

Are any of the small jets worth it is FS2020? I want somthing small and fast to whizz through mountain passes but don't want to pay 20 bux for a broken mess.
https://flightsim.to/file/16413/lockheed-martin-f-22a-raptor-top-mach-studios-freeware-edition

From what I can tell, this is the only jet that has an actual fly-by-wire system. All other jets are just manual input and need to constantly be trimmed like there's no tomorrow.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah I get CTD on the world map and on loading A320 with stock livery. I’m gonna play something else till it’s fixed

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Are there any good controller profile settings out there? I tried the 50% change to triggers but I can’t tell if I did it right.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

skooma512 posted:

Yeah I get CTD on the world map and on loading A320 with stock livery. I’m gonna play something else till it’s fixed

Happened to me a couple of times as well. I think it happens during the loading of the satellite data? I try not to scroll around on the map. Seems to help, but maybe that's just confirmation bias.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Right now I tried to descent from FL500 around Egypt, with 12000fpm, and at around FL440 I'm suddenly seeing water and the game tells me I've overstressed the plane, because I just dropped 44000ft in a blink of an eye. There's really some strange bugs in this bitch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently there's a bunch of bugs going around that result in instant altitude changes. Flying around Devil's Tower is seems to boost you around 30000ft into the sky, and seemingly reproducible enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UECQPrN_eGc&t=38s

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I really wish ATC would stop barking at me to expedite my climb to x height when I’m already there. Barometer is set right too

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently there's a bunch of bugs going around that result in instant altitude changes. Flying around Devil's Tower is seems to boost you around 30000ft into the sky, and seemingly reproducible enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UECQPrN_eGc&t=38s

This means something

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hello internet posted:

I really wish ATC would stop barking at me to expedite my climb to x height when I’m already there. Barometer is set right too

That's from a bug where the sim doesn't account for the effects of temperature correctly (it did before the Xbox release, so Asobo broke something), and the last hotfix that was supposed to fix it somehow didn't, so there's going to be an even hotter fix that should correct that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bigsteve posted:

Do you mean fighters, or what? The CJ4 (plus the mod from Working Title) is pretty great, and honestly if you want fast and fun in mountain passes, you can't go wrong with the Extra even though it's not a jet, although until the rudder authority issues are worked out, takeoffs can be interesting.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The MSFS forums user who wrote that good settings guide updated it for SU5: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-su5-complete-retest-8-2-2021/132407

If you have custom configuration profile, it's worth taking a look at to see what kind of settings you can turn back up now. For example, the Trees setting has virtually no performance impact anymore it seems.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Go to play MFS: CTDs on menu and on flight load, not waiting another 5 minutes for another trial and error session.

Go to play Xplane 11 instead: CTD on flight load.

:smith: Guess VOR radials will have to wait for a better patch cycle.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Do you have any kind of 3rd party content installed? If you do, try renaming the "community" folder and see if that helps, since the most recent update caused issues with a lot of add-ons.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I deleted what didn't have a recent update or avoided the planes with any on them.

Xplane I loaded up someone's B58 mod. I guess a patch must have got that one too and it's probably fine, but I was so fed up from MFS that I was done with flight sim troubleshooting for the night.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Clearing your manual and rolling cache can help with the CTDs on load too.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Now that MSFS has been out a bit, any "must have" mods or planes people can recommend? I'm getting back into it and want to have some fun.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Haven't played much since launch, and was pleased to see they've completely redone all the tutorial flights. So much better now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

Now that MSFS has been out a bit, any "must have" mods or planes people can recommend? I'm getting back into it and want to have some fun.

Flybywire’s A320

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I’m loving the just flight piper warrior 2, but I’m biased since it was my trainer plane.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

JerikTelorian posted:

Working Title CJ4

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

Sim Update 5 broke a bunch of stuff but things will be put back together soon enough.

My favourite mods, some paid most free, in no order:
WT CJ4
WT g1000 (soon to be replaced by g1000 nxi)
Got Gravel Savage Carbon
Diamond DA62X
PMS gtn750/650 and gns530
Just Flight Turbo Arrow (using the PMS mods above)
G36 Improvement
4 Seasons Pack (way better trees)
Enhanced Live Traffic + IVAO liveries
Global Ship AI
LiDAR-based terrain mesh for BC
Bunch of airports/scenery of varying quality

And MSFS Addons Linker to keep your Community folder under control

Rot fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 4, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

And imagine, only a year ago that would have been a breach of EULA in the flight sim community.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Rot posted:

Sim Update 5 broke a bunch of stuff but things will be put back together soon enough.

WT CJ4
Got Gravel Savage Carbon
Diamond DA62X
G36 Improvement
Global Ship AI

Thanks! I'll gather these up.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Rot posted:

WT CJ4
Got Gravel Savage Carbon
Diamond DA62X
G36 Improvement
Global Ship AI

Thanks for this!

The Working Title group seems pretty intense; kinda weird that their poo poo is free. Are they planning to go paid at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

The Working Title group seems pretty intense; kinda weird that their poo poo is free. Are they planning to go paid at some point?

They're working for Asobo now