Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I went to a restaurant the other week that had a cocktail made with Irish whiskey, rum, Punt e Mes, Peychaud’s and what I assume was creme de banane. The menu just listed “banana” but I can’t think of what else it would be. It was delicious, super smooth and tasted like bananas foster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS7JTPNWYRQ

Pina Colada clarified milk punch with strawberry daiquiri ice cubes.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Lunsku posted:

Speaking of vermouths, I really need some ideas on how to use. Finland alcohol monopoly is kind of dogshit and I had to actually order my Martini Rosso, and I’m seriously doubting that I’ll use my 1 l Martini Rosso before it goes bad just on negronis and manhattans.

In hindsight: next time I’ll order a smaller bottle of something like Punt e mes. We used to have Antifa Formula in smaller bottles too, but not anymore (in the alcohol monopoly catalogue at least).

Americanos have been my go to for a while now, and if you can get any sort of amaro it's a delicious drink.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
If you guys are having good cocktails with banana liqueur, it's very likely not the trashy creme de banana from DeKuyper or whomever, but Giffard Banane du Bresil liqueur. Tastes a lot less like banana extract/isoamyl acetate. If you have that bottle, you can do a Bananavardier by substituting it for some of the vermouth, or you can do a banana batida with white rum, coconut cream, lime and bitters. Do a banana daiquiri. Hell, do a banana rum Manhattan. If you're stuck with a bottle of creme de banana, I can't help you.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Bananaracs!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I bought creme de banane on a whim after having an excellent banana-based cocktail at a bar. What can I do with this poo poo now that I have it?

I haven't had them but they sound fun.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Just the smell of banana liqueurs gives me the hurks. I like bananas, but something about the isolated essence is just nasty to me.

The forementioned "good stuff" isn't nearly as bad as poo poo like 99 Bananas, but none of it works for me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I haven't had them but they sound fun.

This one is really great, yeah. This is also really good:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I can vouch for this one. Flavorful without being overpowered by any one ingredient.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I liked this one a lot.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 24, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Any recommendations for readily available 'Softer' gins, similar in style to Plymouth out there?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
First thing that comes to mind is Citadelle? It's been a few years since I had any, but I remember a mellowness and graininess to it that was definitely softer than a standard London Dry, maybe edging towards Old Tom territory. Edit: or even a jonge genever, is I think more accurate.

I also find Greenhook a particularly soft gin whenever I have a bottle, but it's definitely sharper than Citadelle, and maybe even slightly more than Plymouth, and way more herbal.

Double Edit: Koval?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Any recommendations for readily available 'Softer' gins, similar in style to Plymouth out there?

Aviation is quite mild. I found it disinteresting, while I enjoy Plymouth, but it’s the next step down for “softer” that I can think of.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Martin Miller’s?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I remember You and Yours Sunday gin being softer and more floral.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Hendrick’s Lunar gin is also quite soft and floral. That’s probably a better fit than my earlier recommendation.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Idk if it is soft but bluecoat is my fav

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Scythe posted:

First thing that comes to mind is Citadelle? It's been a few years since I had any, but I remember a mellowness and graininess to it that was definitely softer than a standard London Dry, maybe edging towards Old Tom territory. Edit: or even a jonge genever, is I think more accurate.

I also find Greenhook a particularly soft gin whenever I have a bottle, but it's definitely sharper than Citadelle, and maybe even slightly more than Plymouth, and way more herbal.

Double Edit: Koval?

I think I've mentioned this before but Citadelle tastes strongly of sugar substitute to me, like a diet soda. Keep that in mind if you're sensitive to that taste.

I hate that taste, loathe even.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I really like The Botanist. It's an Islay gin, which I found interesting. Very floral, not piney at all (the thing I always hated about gin).

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I’ll throw a shout out for gunpowder Irish gin. Super well balanced, the tea is present but not overpowering. It has a fantastic texture when stirred, silky, smooth, and slightly chewy.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thinking about making a clarified punch using coffee, a lot of what I'm seeing inspiration wise looks pretty heavy, I was hoping to make something brighter. Anyone have any good jumping off points to think about something fun?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Carillon posted:

Thinking about making a clarified punch using coffee, a lot of what I'm seeing inspiration wise looks pretty heavy, I was hoping to make something brighter. Anyone have any good jumping off points to think about something fun?

Mr. Bali Hai should be your flavor profile.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
One of the latest How to Drink episodes goes over kind of what you're looking for, including the Mr. Bali Hali. I think a Margarita Negra could also be batched as a punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRzlsE9Y6NU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So the big winner in the Manhattan space for this weekend was Cocchi Torino and Luxardo cherries.

The whiskey (WT 101 Rye) and bitters (Bittercube Trinity) were the controls. With Punt e Mes, cocchi Torino, and Carpano Antica as the vermouths, and Luxardo vs Traverse City cocktail cherries.

One brother preferred the extra sweetness of the Carpano, but otherwise was in line with everyone else.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

So the big winner in the Manhattan space for this weekend was Cocchi Torino and Luxardo cherries.

The whiskey (WT 101 Rye) and bitters (Bittercube Trinity) were the controls. With Punt e Mes, cocchi Torino, and Carpano Antica as the vermouths, and Luxardo vs Traverse City cocktail cherries.

One brother preferred the extra sweetness of the Carpano, but otherwise was in line with everyone else.

This is how I typically make my Manhattans. I sometimes use a "better" rye or bourbon and it's very good.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you're drinking Manhattans I strongly recommend trying a Fourth Regiment:

1.5 oz Rye
1.5 oz Sweet Vermouth
1 dash orange bitters
1 dash ango
1 dash celery

It's pretty hard to go back to drinking regular manhattans once you try one. So much so that we've considered just making all our house manhattans with this recipe and not telling anyone unless they ask.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

AlexDeGruven posted:

I love that and I love you :science:

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

1.5 oz Rye
1.5 oz Sweet Vermouth
1 dash orange bitters
1 dash ango
1 dash celery

It's pretty hard to go back to drinking regular manhattans once you try one. So much so that we've considered just making all our house manhattans with this recipe and not telling anyone unless they ask.

Celery sounds weird and I want to try it. Will this work with Dolin or does it want a stronger vermouth?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Should work fine with dolin

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

Fart Car '97 posted:

1.5 oz Rye
1.5 oz Sweet Vermouth
1 dash orange bitters
1 dash ango
1 dash celery

Just tried this with Sazerac Rye and Dolin Sweet Vermouth and I think I'm a convert!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Somebody with the ingredients try this please! Saw it from a friend but don't have kimchi or appropriate beer at the moment. Bulldog sauce is a tonkatsu sauce.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I had to give up on tomato cocktails at home, just too hard on my acid reflux. Is it good with tomato paste? Wouldn't have thought to use that for the tomato.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Apricole Swizzle is pretty good. https://cocktailwonk.com/2017/05/apricole-swizzle.html

I'm always trying to find new drinks to use apricot liqueur in because this Rothman & Winter Apricot tastes so good I'm always tempted to just pour a glass and sip it even though I really don't like sipping straight liquors.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

hotsoupdinner posted:

Just tried this with Sazerac Rye and Dolin Sweet Vermouth and I think I'm a convert!

Just did this with Knob Creek and Cocci. Doubled the recipe and it’s very good. Don’t know what else I’m going to do with a celery bitter though.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Celery bitters are surprisingly versatile; they go well with gin, vermouth, and sherry particularly. Lots of martini variations work. I like them in an Alaska. They’re great in a Bamboo.

I wouldn’t have thought they’d work with whiskey, but since the Fourth Regiment works I want to try them in an Up To Date.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So I've been on a quest to gather everything I need to make a Ramos Gin Fizz. The thing that has been eluding me was orange blossom water. So today I finally went to an Indian grocery to pick some up. And that's when I also found almond syrup. Orgeat has been another elusive ingredient on my list. What I'm trying to figure out is, is this a close substitute? I've read that orgeat needs to have actual almond extract instead of just "flavor", so this ingredient list doesn't necessarily bode well...

"Sugar, water, almond flavor, citric acid, sodium benzoate"

I'm thinking it might still be a good substitute regardless, but I figured I'd ask and find out if I'm way off base.

Ingredient list photo:
https://i.imgur.com/7LR2kcb.jpg

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

1.5 oz Rye
1.5 oz Sweet Vermouth
1 dash orange bitters
1 dash ango
1 dash celery

Yeah wow this is good as gently caress

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 3, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sir Lemming posted:

So I've been on a quest to gather everything I need to make a Ramos Gin Fizz. The thing that has been eluding me was orange blossom water. So today I finally went to an Indian grocery to pick some up. And that's when I also found almond syrup. Orgeat has been another elusive ingredient on my list. What I'm trying to figure out is, is this a close substitute? I've read that orgeat needs to have actual almond extract instead of just "flavor", so this ingredient list doesn't necessarily bode well...

"Sugar, water, almond flavor, citric acid, sodium benzoate"

I'm thinking it might still be a good substitute regardless, but I figured I'd ask and find out if I'm way off base.

Ingredient list photo:
https://i.imgur.com/7LR2kcb.jpg

Orgeat is super easy to make at home with almond milk, sugar, and maybe some orange flower water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Thanks for the vermouth usage tips week back, by the way. Had been making Boulevardiers already, and kinda dig it more than your standard Negroni, and Americano definitely feels something for warmer autumn evenings if I don't feel like getting completely plastered. And maybe I don't manage to mangle my little finger with a paring knife in the future when cutting an orange after 10 pm in the future, had to actually go to emergency room to get that patched up.

For really the first time I'm really getting bothered by the alcohol monopoly store's selection, even on the biggest local branch which is supposed to be a sort of a regional flagship. If I want actual rye, it looks like I have to preorder it. And that still would be like, pushing 55$, converted from €, for Bulleit rye. Pretty much forget finding mezcal in the entire catalogue, etc.

Fortunately still a lot of cocktails around to mix and try, even given the restrictions.