Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I never get tired of Google's random A/B testing, this time on Gboard. Nice update to the theme for Android 12 but I wish I knew when I was opening poo poo up what to expect.

Fairly sure it's just rolled out to everyone on the beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Not super excited about the look being confirmed but almost certainly getting a 6 Pro. If the new Fold was more like the Huawei one (with full size front display and good cameras) I may have been tempted but it looks worse than the Fold 2.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The look is what it is, I'm mainly not jazzed about the color selections since pastels don't do it for me so this will be the first pixel in awhile where I chose black.

The design is actually pretty smart though. If you notice, the metal rails that make up the sides of the bump extend beyond the surface of the camera lenses. So when the phone is setting on its back, no glass actually makes contact with the surface. It also will make it easier to pick up and of course it won't rock..

Must importantly though, it's not derivative of anyone else's design. This device takes the Pixel two toned look it started with and added a new design element that's distinctive. All of the people who saw it in person said the renders don't do it justice.

Besides, it's the back. Who actually looks at the back?

The melding of the ultra wide and wide into one frame is really interesting. I wonder if they will use the reverse example to alleviate shallow depth of field with a large sensor. Capture the subject of the photo with the main camera and use the ultra wide to expand the pane of focus.

Tightly controlled demos of video had it outperforming the iPhone 12 Pro Max. We'll see how that holds up under normal use cases, but they are saying Tensor is fast enough to apply HDR per frame in real time (demo was 4k30 though.)

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

bull3964 posted:

they are saying Tensor is fast enough to apply HDR per frame in real time (demo was 4k30 though.)
Basically everyone’s gonna be doing this soon, run the sensor at 60fps with one short+one long exposure and merge down to 30fps.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The look is what it is, I'm mainly not jazzed about the color selections since pastels don't do it for me so this will be the first pixel in awhile where I chose black.

The design is actually pretty smart though. If you notice, the metal rails that make up the sides of the bump extend beyond the surface of the camera lenses. So when the phone is setting on its back, no glass actually makes contact with the surface. It also will make it easier to pick up and of course it won't rock..

Must importantly though, it's not derivative of anyone else's design. This device takes the Pixel two toned look it started with and added a new design element that's distinctive. All of the people who saw it in person said the renders don't do it justice.

Besides, it's the back. Who actually looks at the back?

The melding of the ultra wide and wide into one frame is really interesting. I wonder if they will use the reverse example to alleviate shallow depth of field with a large sensor. Capture the subject of the photo with the main camera and use the ultra wide to expand the pane of focus.

Tightly controlled demos of video had it outperforming the iPhone 12 Pro Max. We'll see how that holds up under normal use cases, but they are saying Tensor is fast enough to apply HDR per frame in real time (demo was 4k30 though.)

This makes me want to trade in the 12PM for the P6Pro or something but I kind of want to pit the 6Pro against the iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Man that is an ugly phone

Gonna ride my P5/S21 Ultra combo into 2022

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

bull3964 posted:

This, but

Soul Glo posted:

this.

I am stuck on a Pixel 4 and I'd love to get a new Pixel (with wireless charging, so the a series is right out) so I may just wait it out unless I see some wild Pixel 3-like price drops.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Store page placeholder is up already.

https://store.google.com/magazine/google_pixel_6

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

they seem to really have a chip on their shoulder about screen bezels

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One other smart detail I noticed. The upper antenna band is smack in the middle of the camera bump. That should mean the bump gives reinforcement to the structure of the phone here.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I want the mint/yellow color way so bad but also a pro. C'mon Google! :(

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I will get one of those at full price if it has front facing speakers :pray:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Flat screen and matte details and smaller size ftw

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
You're probably right. I just hope that the third camera is the only thing missing from the non-pro (apart from a smaller battery obviously). Is there any confirmation / rumors about the other differences?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally had a chance to really look at it and the Sixel is boxy like the Note. I don't really like that for comfort in hand. :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

strap on revenge posted:

I will get one of those at full price if it has front facing speakers :pray:

The trend is one speaker in the earpiece and one in the bottom, which is guess this will have.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Osterloh did an interview with German newspaper Der Spiegel, said Google wasn't in the flagship segment the last two years but will be again with the Pixel 6 Pro, specifically stating that it will be expensive. Considers Pixel 6 to be in the "upper segment" and referred to it as a "Mainstream-Premium-Product".

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Osterloh did an interview with German newspaper Der Spiegel, said Google wasn't in the flagship segment the last two years but will be again with the Pixel 6 Pro, specifically stating that it will be expensive. Considers Pixel 6 to be in the "upper segment" and referred to it as a "Mainstream-Premium-Product".

Then they'll probably be asking for $1200-$1500 for it, fully spec'd.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
My original Pixel is now only capable of running GPS for ~90 minutes before its battery dies, so I'm pretty ready for an upgrade. I wish the upgrade didn't look so terrible, but I'm going to use a case anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. Also, maybe the 5 or 5a will be cheap enough shortly that I can just go with one of those instead. If the price difference is a grand, I'm definitely not going with the 6.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexF posted:

You're probably right. I just hope that the third camera is the only thing missing from the non-pro (apart from a smaller battery obviously). Is there any confirmation / rumors about the other differences?

1080p screen at 90hz and the the verge mentioned there would be "memory differences" but we don't know the specifics yet.

Yeah, I fully expect the Pro to push above a grand. This is what people were screaming for though. If Google is finally pulling out all the stops on a no compromise top end product, it's going to be priced accordingly.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 3, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Gonna ride my P5/S21 Ultra combo into 2022

How many of you insane people itt are rocking multiple phones at once?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

codo27 posted:

If this S21+ doesn't stop rebooting on its own I'm going to be very happy to be an "insane" person that kept my old one. Even if it doesn't have service and isn't compatible with my S21's SIM card, at least it's something that can jump on wifi.
Hopefully can actually find a solution to this...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

codo27 posted:

Pixel 5 and iPhone 12 Pro Max here. :v:

I'll probably switch to iPhone 13 Pro Max (maybe) but the 5 to 6 Pro is a definite yes if things go well with it. Might even nab it from Google themselves since I've got 10% credit from 2TB of Drive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mumbles with head down.

OP9P, Pixel 5, S21 Ultra, iPhone 12 Pro Max

I'll probably be buying the fold 3 next week too.

(I have other phones that I need to rid myself with that I don't actively use. SIM is mostly in the OP9P now and will likely go into the P5 after 12 release. I use the S21 U as my primary phone only in short busts, I tend to tire of it quickly.)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

bull3964 posted:

Mumbles with head down.

OP9P, Pixel 5, S21 Ultra, iPhone 12 Pro Max

I'll probably be buying the fold 3 next week too.

(I have other phones that I need to rid myself with that I don't actively use. SIM is mostly in the OP9P now and will likely go into the P5 after 12 release. I use the S21 U as my primary phone only in short busts, I tend to tire of it quickly.)

Is this for work, or hobby?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
no finger print reader?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

deong posted:

Is this for work, or hobby?

I made work pay for the iPhone, but otherwise hobby. Most of it has been leveraging trade in deals and such so I rarely pay anywhere close to full MSRP.

I was doing fine up until last year, getting rid of devices as I switched. But I've gotten indecisive. The OP9P is the best balance currently, but I love the Pixel 5 in the hand, just so compact, light, but solid. The S21 U was to play with the camera system which is good, but only really excels above the others when you need that 10x optical zoom.

Oh well, not like I was spending money on vacations last year

Pixel 6 Pro is going to cure me though. Mark my words!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

no finger print reader?

In display.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

codo27 posted:

Only God can judge me

I don't also need a gaming PC, Series X and PS5 all at once either but let me live my best life ok

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have my 4a and my Duo, but I just BT tether the Duo when I go out if I decide to bring it along.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Got my AAWireless adapter today and so far it works a treat in my BRZ with an aftermarket Sony XV100 head unit. Connection is faster than wired and completely prompt free. We'll see how it works when I'm out and about driving. Got the cable and adapter (which is about the size of a two Tile trackers stacked on top of each other) all tucked away in the glove box for a clean install.

We'll see how it works in my Golf R later in the week (it's away getting paint protection film installed right now, so I can't try it till the end of the week). I know there have been issues with some versions of the MIB2 head units out there, hopefully mine isn't one of them or they come up with a good bug fix soon.

I'm hopeful that I'll get my second unit before too long, their last update made it sound like they got enough materials to start building a few thousand more units.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Uh how long has setting reminders for other people been a thing? I just said "remind Lisa to pick up package at 4:50" instead if "remind me to remind Lisa" and she got an alert on her phone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Question about unlocked vs carrier phones: if a carrier phone (Galaxy S21 Plus) is locked to Sprint, and then SIM unlocked, is it or can it become identical to an unlocked model? I've heard there's software differences between unlocked and carrier, but I don't know if unlocking it changes what firmware it receives.

I ordered an unlocked S21+ on Swappa and received a Sprint-locked version. The seller basically said "oops let me try to unlock it", but even if that's successful, I don't know if I want to hang onto a Sprint phone when I paid for an unlocked one.

edit: it's being returned, but I'd still like to know the answer out of curiosity.

This is from last page, but I just recently had to buy a new phone, and went with an unlocked Motorola One 5G Ace in part because it has a crazy amount of radio spectrum it can use. I would strongly suspect that some carrier phones omit the capacity for some radio frequencies since their networks don't have them. Unlocked and Universal are different terms with phones, and while many unlocked phones are universal, they aren't all. And carrier phones frequently aren't universal. This comes up a lot with international travel, apparently.

From some of the other posts last page I'm glad I sprang for the Motorola over the OnePlus I was also considering.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Is Nokia still an option for the budget minded as well? Would think if they work on your carrier they would be better than either OnePlus or Motorola.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Uh how long has setting reminders for other people been a thing? I just said "remind Lisa to pick up package at 4:50" instead if "remind me to remind Lisa" and she got an alert on her phone.

My wife accidentally did that to me a couple weeks ago and I was wondering the same thing. Since she uses an iPhone I can only assume it was done via Google Homes.

bull3964 posted:

Got my AAWireless adapter today and so far it works a treat in my BRZ with an aftermarket Sony XV100 head unit. Connection is faster than wired and completely prompt free. We'll see how it works when I'm out and about driving. Got the cable and adapter (which is about the size of a two Tile trackers stacked on top of each other) all tucked away in the glove box for a clean install.

We'll see how it works in my Golf R later in the week (it's away getting paint protection film installed right now, so I can't try it till the end of the week). I know there have been issues with some versions of the MIB2 head units out there, hopefully mine isn't one of them or they come up with a good bug fix soon.

I'm hopeful that I'll get my second unit before too long, their last update made it sound like they got enough materials to start building a few thousand more units.

Yeah it's a pretty good device. It's also nice to be able to switch to the widescreen format if you like the CarPlay style interface (I tried it for a while and preferred the old way). It's great that it Just Works.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EdEddnEddy posted:

Is Nokia still an option for the budget minded as well? Would think if they work on your carrier they would be better than either OnePlus or Motorola.

I'm really happy with my Motorola so far, but that's coming off a long series of low to mid-tier LG phones. It's also my first unlocked phone. Deleting Facebook instead of just being allowed to disable it was cathartic. :peanut:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea removing the Facebook app improved the battery life on my phone a noticable amount lol.

I am still sticking with the last of LG. The Wing I'm still friggin in love with. Phone is huge and heavy but man is it fun to use.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

A real ear speaker on the Pixel 6. What a time to be alive. I'm unironically all aboard the hype train. Ready to ditch this Pixel 5. The behind screen speaker is rear end, and my Android Auto is having problems with what seems like a bad contact in the USB port.

Only question is, what will be this year's compromise? Probably pricetag, lol. Are those in screen fingerprint sensors implemented well on other phones?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the big deciding point for me will be if the camera feels like a substantial hardware upgrade. New phones are cool, but really other than battery life most stuff I use a phone for works about as well on older phones as it does on newer ones. But I remember when I got the Pixel 2 it was a massive upgrade over the quality I'd had before, and I'd like to experience that again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

Only question is, what will be this year's compromise? Probably pricetag, lol. Are those in screen fingerprint sensors implemented well on other phones?

They've made it clear, a few times over, to expect a price in line with the other top flagships.

In display fingerprint readers vary in how well they work. The optical in the OP series has been great for me since the 7 Pro (the 6t was a bit hit or miss). I've had nothing but frustration with the ultrasonic sensors in Samsung phones as they do not like dry skin. I usually have to retrain the one in my S21 Ultra every other week.

As far as your USB port issues, go digging with a plastic fork or toothpick. Typically, there's compacted pocket lint that's out of visibility that's preventing the cord from inserting as much as it should. USB-C ports otherwise are very resilient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I think Nokia is just selling its name to random phone makers, not making their own devices.