Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Once people start making 6 figures off of someone else's IP, it gets hard to overlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Sandy Peterson is real mad people are calling him out on his transphobic poo poo

https://twitter.com/SandyofCthulhu/status/1422006941853831168
https://twitter.com/SandyofCthulhu/status/1422007355118657547
https://twitter.com/SandyofCthulhu/status/1422007790068019200
https://twitter.com/SandyofCthulhu/status/1422008238845870086

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

More shocking than anything else Petersen has said, is the fact that Joseph Smith survived the first time he was killed and then was killed again almost a century later. Honestly speaks to the "no one is ever truly cancelled" theory.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

The Japanese Eliminated Freedom of the press in 1940-41 and the people working as editors would have been military staff, or wouldn't be able to publish anything because it would have had to pass the military's scrutiny. The Japanese also weren't talking bamboo spears that much in 1944, that was a thing for the Volunteer corps which were reformed into a militia after the battle of Okinawa(march-april 1945). The reason spears were being handed out to people was because the Japanese simply didn't have any military hardware left after Okinawa, they basically brought the majority of their guns, artillery etc and fought a brutal, desperate battle against the Japanese home force. The Yamato was still in service in 1944 more or less and didn't get sunk until it was on the way to Okinawa where they planned to use its many many guns to blast apart enemies. On top of that, information of the state of the war was top secret, you would get shot for even suggesting that the military was doing poorly and didn't have all the weapons needed. (Mind you, the Americans just started bombing every single Japanese city into smoking ashes from 1944 november to the the nuclear bombings, so it was a moot point.)

tl;dr Sandy is wrong, at least, about the Japanese thing. I can't speak to Haiti or Mormonism. It can be surmised that Sandy knows as much about the history of Imperial Japan as he does transgenderism.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 3, 2021

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The thing to do when people say this poo poo is to cheerfully say "I agree! Therefore I will keep expressing disagreement when you say things I disagree with. After all, you wouldn't want me to suppress my opinion just because you don't like what I have to say. :) "

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah unless someone got a source for it I don't think there were many editors in news papers who were calling for Japan to surrender. Fascism has a way to weeding out people who have sensible opinions from positions of power. Even less believable is the guy being made to quit instead of being killed.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cat Face Joe posted:

this is a masterclass on "poasting through it"

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
"The people calling me a transphobe after I said all those transphobic things are just like Haitian dictators, really, when you think about it" is a hell of a take

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah unless someone got a source for it I don't think there were many editors in news papers who were calling for Japan to surrender. Fascism has a way to weeding out people who have sensible opinions from positions of power. Even less believable is the guy being made to quit instead of being killed.

Seems like it actually happened, though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh huh guess I made bad assumptions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Joseph Smith one is eliding a lot of things Joseph Smith did to piss people off besides preaching.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mors Rattus posted:

The Joseph Smith one is eliding a lot of things Joseph Smith did to piss people off besides preaching.
He's a Mormon so of course he's going to go to the Smith well and also make the guy look better than he was.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
This is always the best phase of the social media breakdown

"Pointing out I'm covered in poo poo after I soiled on the floor and fell over backwards into it is fascism!!"
:qqsay:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-09gNDsPzQ

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Halloween Jack posted:

I just beat it, actually. I felt like "Scrotus" and "Rictus Erectus" were fun names for Immortan Joe's halfwit failsons, but for the main antagonist they should have gone with something a little less silly. Also the story completely falls apart toward the end.

That said, the Mad Max video game is worth playing. Great driving, great landscape, amazingly brutal hand to hand fights, great level design, you get a harpoon gun on your car you can hook bad guys with... So much to love in the basic gameplay cycles.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

mllaneza posted:

That said, the Mad Max video game is worth playing. Great driving, great landscape, amazingly brutal hand to hand fights, great level design, you get a harpoon gun on your car you can hook bad guys with... So much to love in the basic gameplay cycles.

might be, but it's still too grindy

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hi Sandy. Salt Lake City and the Vatican need to sit down with Guinness and figure out who has the higher percentage of pedophiles in their ranks.

Carthage Illinois Did Nothing Wrong

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I'm like 90% sure September Dawn got so many bad reviews because people were offended on the Mormons' behalf, never mind that that movie's biggest flaw is that its Mormons weren't realistically racist enough

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Really curious what the rates of this avatar RPG kickstarter are, given that it seems to have drawn 3 million dollars a few days in. somehow i doubt they're paying the people on it very well.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Nea posted:

Really curious what the rates of this avatar RPG kickstarter are, given that it seems to have drawn 3 million dollars a few days in. somehow i doubt they're paying the people on it very well.

For all his faults as a person, Diaz-Truman has a reputation of paying pretty drat well for RPG freelancing.

People always throw the gross around on kickstarters like this, but remember that the profit *per book* is often vanishingly small. Seventh Sea went bust after its own 7-digit Kickstarter after all (and hey, look who was in charge of managing it!).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
7th Sea wasn't a kickstarter for a book, it was a kickstarter for the whole game line, which was a whole other level of hubris.

There's a lot of tchochke involved, but the core project for Avatar is a tiny fraction of that scope, it's not really comparable.

A lot depends on what the licensing deal looks like, in any case.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Considering the Avatar RPG appears to be a reskin of Masks, I imagine they’ll be doing just fine by virtue of not having to do as much meaningful design work.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kestral posted:

Considering the Avatar RPG appears to be a reskin of Masks, I imagine they’ll be doing just fine by virtue of not having to do as much meaningful design work.

It's got a few more mechanics, but yeah.

I'm curious what the license in these situations cost.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dexo posted:

It's got a few more mechanics, but yeah.

I'm curious what the license in these situations cost.

Licensing agreements run a real gamut of terms, theres very favorable and very unfavorable ones, and most never get discussed publicly.

I've seen both pay heavily up front, and terms that are basically just fractions of the gross after release.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 7, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

7th Sea wasn't a kickstarter for a book, it was a kickstarter for the whole game line, which was a whole other level of hubris.

There's a lot of tchochke involved, but the core project for Avatar is a tiny fraction of that scope, it's not really comparable.

A lot depends on what the licensing deal looks like, in any case.

Also you got the whole line in PDF for like $40 which is basically giving it away for a song.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

Also you got the whole line in PDF for like $40 which is basically giving it away for a song.
Add in how the game is mechanically terrible - so nobody is actually buying these supplements as far as I know - and it's a perfect storm of unwise decisions.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Even beyond the 1st edition giveaway, the "all-in" physical pledge was $500 for in excess of $600 retail worth of books. And these aren't just any old books, they're 200+ pages brimming with dynamic, colorful art, including tons of half- and full-page scenes. It's frankly astounding how much Wick('s team) managed to release in short order, though of course once it started collapsing production slowed way down.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I feel kind of bad about taking advantage of that, the cost had to barely cover digitizing the old books into PDF.

The new system was incredibly bad mechanically, though. I actually sold my kickstarted main book for it to Half Price Books two weeks ago as part of cleaning out my bookshelves.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
oh no I stand with the anti-mormons how could I have been so wrong

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I feel kind of bad about taking advantage of that, the cost had to barely cover digitizing the old books into PDF.

The new system was incredibly bad mechanically, though. I actually sold my kickstarted main book for it to Half Price Books two weeks ago as part of cleaning out my bookshelves.

Certainly it's an interesting contrast to people going all the entire way out of their minds over Ettin charging thirty whole dollarydoos for Hard-Wired Island. Forty bucks for a bunch of pretty books that don't work as opposed to thirty bucks for one pretty book that does.

Shame about the 7E's system, though. I'd definitely just use the fluff and go with like Savage Worlds or like anything else. (Except 1E 7th Sea, that's also garbo.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I feel bad for 7th Sea 2e, because you could tell they wanted to address a lot of the racism and stereotyping problems inherent in the world they'd created piecemeal for 1e. They brought on minority writers and skilled map-makers to create a better version of the world. But then the wheels fell off the train and the whole thing slid into a ravine.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nuns with Guns posted:

I feel bad for 7th Sea 2e, because you could tell they wanted to address a lot of the racism and stereotyping problems inherent in the world they'd created piecemeal for 1e. They brought on minority writers and skilled map-makers to create a better version of the world. But then the wheels fell off the train and the whole thing slid into a ravine.

Well, plus they sank however much money into trying to launch a video game, which is always a real money pit. I seem to recall they tried Kickstarting that one twice? And there was an attempt at a board game with fancy minis. It was, obviously, Just Too Much. If they'd paced themselves better it probably would've still had to scale back, but they'd probably have wrapped up the massive amount of books from the Kickstarter a year ago and may have become sustainable in the long run. I mean, gently caress, eight sizeable, super-glossy, competently written (if not competently game-designed) books in two years is a real feat. Unfortunately, it's fast enough that you theoretically start running into "retail shoppers can't or don't want to buy this many of your books at once."

And I think there were the bones of some real good ideas in the system, too. But, woof, they sure needed to iron it out a half-dozen more times.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That Old Tree posted:

Well, plus they sank however much money into trying to launch a video game, which is always a real money pit. I seem to recall they tried Kickstarting that one twice? And there was an attempt at a board game with fancy minis. It was, obviously, Just Too Much. If they'd paced themselves better it probably would've still had to scale back, but they'd probably have wrapped up the massive amount of books from the Kickstarter a year ago and may have become sustainable in the long run. I mean, gently caress, eight sizeable, super-glossy, competently written (if not competently game-designed) books in two years is a real feat. Unfortunately, it's fast enough that you theoretically start running into "retail shoppers can't or don't want to buy this many of your books at once."

And I think there were the bones of some real good ideas in the system, too. But, woof, they sure needed to iron it out a half-dozen more times.

The board game was the one that failed to Kickstart twice. I don't recall what happened with the video game.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Mors Rattus posted:

The board game was the one that failed to Kickstart twice. I don't recall what happened with the video game.

Video game? I thought the term was “trans-media empire”??

Wick also went a doubled down on the poor business ideas with Kathai / not Asia setting books and hasn’t released the final main book for that one. The backer updates are sporadic- as in “I backed this? Oh yeah I did. Huh.” - at best. The comments section has a ton of people who want blood from a stone.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
What was the phrase when Swedracula bought White wolf? Netflix series in 2 years or we failed?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mors Rattus posted:

The video game failed on Kickstarter twice, too.

And then there was the stretch goal on the original Kickstarter for 2e to make a short film to shop around for a TV/movie series.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kurieg posted:

What was the phrase when Swedracula bought White wolf? Netflix series in 2 years or we failed?

In his defense, nobody is calling him a success.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

People who have a better handle on the 7th Sea Kickstarter than me: how has Chaosium taking over the line affected things? Are they developing any new plans for the line or is it a "let's just get the stuff we promised people out the door and call the job done" situation?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nystral posted:

The comments section has a ton of people who want blood from a stone.

That's pretty normal. I know some BG people who are currently in the process of having their year ruined by shipping costs and they've shown me comments from people that are fully cognizant this is out of their hands saying they're going to burn their houses doen over this etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warthur posted:

People who have a better handle on the 7th Sea Kickstarter than me: how has Chaosium taking over the line affected things? Are they developing any new plans for the line or is it a "let's just get the stuff we promised people out the door and call the job done" situation?

I understand it's been a whole lot of just not communicating their plans to anyone.