Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/74ZXp_5M_7c

The triple triad theme was dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Excelzior posted:

wait....what? TT is FF8's card game

FF9 is Tetra Master

Uhhhh. Then it's Tetra Master whose honor I will forever defend. I thought I might have mixed those up but didn't bother to check. I'm posting from the hip

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

the voice acting in the original RE2 wasn't that bad

it wasn't good, but it wasn't that bad like a lot of people say

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

original resident evil games have a charm because all the dialogue is in english despite the games being developed in japan. in japan the games have japanese subtitles

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Rutibex posted:

original resident evil games have a charm because all the dialogue is in english despite the games being developed in japan. in japan the games have japanese subtitles

Yeah, Mikami wanted the game to have an old school foreign/American movie vibe, so they used English voices only.

Its bizarre how much RE evolved away from that original idea.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fur20 posted:

ff8's magic system isn't weird at all. in fact it's incredibly straightforward. it's literally "equip magic directly to your stats."
You also have to Equip basic commands like Magic and Use Item. You also have to Equip a "Draw" command and "Draw" magic from enemies. The game walks you through an explanation of equipping and using the Draw command without explaining what drawing is.

Playing a video game should not require more reading than playing Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Biohazard is a cool name but resident evil is way better

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

You also have to Equip basic commands like Magic and Use Item. You also have to Equip a "Draw" command and "Draw" magic from enemies. The game walks you through an explanation of equipping and using the Draw command without explaining what drawing is.

Playing a video game should not require more reading than playing Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

A shitload of games have super poorly explained mechanics like this, I find, especially Japanese games.

Reminded of Recettear where it uses a keyboard control scheme that's standard for Japanese PC games, mostly visual novels, but otherwise unheard of for Western games, and apparently the developers were very surprised that a lot of players were confused and couldn't figure out how to control it, since the game doesn't explain it.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Shut up about that boring JRPG poo poo, they've just combined the best two car games ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIPPqDRK_R0

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Lodin posted:

Shut up about that boring JRPG poo poo, they've just combined the best two car games ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIPPqDRK_R0

Gran Turismo 3 and Burnout?

I have a soft spot for Project Gotham Racing and Midnight Club but I think thats mostly nostalgia.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Gran Turismo 3 and Burnout?

I have a soft spot for Project Gotham Racing and Midnight Club but I think thats mostly nostalgia.

Same. Wasn't Midnight Club the game where the last car you unlock was garbage in multiplayer because even though the acceleration was off the charts it had a bad top speed so the 2nd to last unlocked car in the game with more top speed won everytime? There was a drafting mechanic so accelerarion car would be leading all map until the end when top speed car would draft the other car and slingshot into first. It was frustrating as all hell.

I seem to remember the game also had motorcycles which were fun but any race with a car would result in the car hitting you and knocking you off the bike whenever you got close.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Project Gotham Racing still sounds like it should be a Batman racing game, which considering all the cars in that franchise would be the absolute tits.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tight aspirations posted:

Nah, you just keep squall at really low health and skip his turn until his limit break procs. Or just level up enc-none so you only have to fight L1 bosses. Or both.

bosses also have a level floor starting at about disc 2 so while you can easily show up to a fight at lv1 with 255 in all your stats, after a while bosses will be in the 20-50 range

Halloween Jack posted:

oh yeah!

i guess it's kind of ff5-like but 8's menu design was also a garbage lasagne, just layer of layer of poo poo upon poo poo that was more difficult to access than it needed to be, because the game needed to waste two of its main menu tabs on Take Test and Read About The Game Lore.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Project Gotham Racing still sounds like it should be a Batman racing game, which considering all the cars in that franchise would be the absolute tits.

Racing a jokermobile with a giant joker face on the front and you have a special move where the mouth opens and a giant pie with a stick of dynamite in it is smashed into the nearby Batmobile by one of those old-timey hands on an accordion spring. :allears:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Caesar Saladin posted:

i refuse to believe that anyone enjoyed FF8 when it came out, they all just enjoy it in retrospect as a game that is kinda interesting

Joke's on you I hated it at launch and I still hate it now. :colbert:

Music's great though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I enjoyed it but it was one of the first non-pokemon JRPGs I really played so it was new and fresh for me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was so disappointed when I found out this wasn't the case.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
All this talk of in-universe card games leads me to ask: What the gently caress is Caravan

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

John Murdoch posted:

All this talk of in-universe card games leads me to ask: What the gently caress is Caravan

worse than tetra master

e: less bad than mahjong

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Good soup! posted:

No RE game's voice-acting is as bad a ER1. The PS1 games aren't great but they got actual voice-actors instead of rando people who speak English off the street which I think is legit how RE1's cast was assembled.

I'll never forget you, Alyson Court. Claire from her inception all the way to whatever came before RE2R. Twenty fuckin' years. I wish more people cared she was replaced and I have no doubt RE4R will replace Paul Mercier and Michael Gough and all the rest of the great RE4 cast.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Mahjong is a good game as long as you have a computer to handle the horrendous overcomplicated scoring system for you.
And tiles marked in english / arabic numerals so you don't have to remember whether "東" means "west" or "east".

Vakal
May 11, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I'll never forget you, Alyson Court. Claire from her inception all the way to whatever came before RE2R. Twenty fuckin' years. I wish more people cared she was replaced and I have no doubt RE4R will replace Paul Mercier and Michael Gough and all the rest of the great RE4 cast.

Alyson Court also voice Lidya on the Beetlejuice cartoon.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Mahjong is a good game as long as you have a computer to handle the horrendous overcomplicated scoring system for you.
And tiles marked in english / arabic numerals so you don't have to remember whether "東" means "west" or "east".

yeah the tiles and my inability to distinguish chinese characters make mahjong a nonstarter for me whenever I give it a shot

same with shogi

it's too bad because I like chess

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's always go

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

NikkolasKing posted:

yeah tbh that's always been the worst part of re2r to me as well

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i don't have trouble keeping track of the characters i have trouble keeping track of the :psyduck: rules. like ok i took a piece then but i can't do it now and because i took a piece earlier this obscure hand can't be called what the poo poo. it's a good thing i only play it on the computer because if i played it in real life i'd just keep getting faults left and right

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

same with shogi
:getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c0Y26iTPSM

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fur20 posted:

i don't have trouble keeping track of the characters i have trouble keeping track of the :psyduck: rules. like ok i took a piece then but i can't do it now and because i took a piece earlier this obscure hand can't be called what the poo poo. it's a good thing i only play it on the computer because if i played it in real life i'd just keep getting faults left and right

Yeah I'm still a novice and basically can't play without an open list of yaku / winning hands still.
There are a few that can't be called if your hand is 'open' after having called chii/pon/kan, most importantly riichi which is one of the most common winning hands.
The thing that really fucks me up is the furiten rule where you can't ron if any of the tiles you discarded could potentially complete your current winning hand. I always feel like I'm missing something and have no idea which tile is causing it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Those rules seem like the kind of bullshit someone came up with so they don't lose

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I only play real mahjong

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

Incredibly badly explained ingame. Actually pretty fun irl apparently.

I've played a shitload of clubhouse games Hanafuda. I blame the card slap sounds. They're addictive.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I've loved fictional card games ever since I read about Tonk in the Black Company. They might not always be super fun but card games aren't really fun irl so they're just a good example of realistic world building.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tongo in Star Trek DS9 comes to mind, one of those that's all the more fun for how little is explained and how it appears to be a mix of poker, roulette and Monopoly. Also Fizzbin apparently got codified rules sometime down the line.

I like the low key theme that Ferengi are really good at math, which doesn't mean a lot in a setting where everyone has a calculator, but does mean even their casual space-beer and space-pretzels gambling games are super complicated and it takes a centuries-old symbiote or a genetically engineered genius just to get the hang of them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Space Kablooey posted:

Those rules seem like the kind of bullshit someone came up with so they don't lose

I've said in the past that richi mahjong, the version played in Japan, is a neat game, but someone explaining the rules of it sounds just like Captain Kirk trying to trick some mobsters into lowering their guard.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Random Stranger posted:

I've said in the past that richi mahjong, the version played in Japan, is a neat game, but someone explaining the rules of it sounds just like Captain Kirk trying to trick some mobsters into lowering their guard.

lol

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Pazaak in KOTOR is tedious as hell

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i never play those card games or mini games. Like, I'm trying to play an rpg, if i wanted to play a cardgame I'd play magic the gathering or some poo poo.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Caesar Saladin posted:

i never play those card games or mini games. Like, I'm trying to play an rpg, if i wanted to play a cardgame I'd play magic the gathering or some poo poo.

"What is this? A world I'm supposed to engage with? gently caress that get me into that intense and mind blowing RPG combat." lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

FF8 would have been great if it was just about attending SeeD classes, playing Triple Triad and hauling rear end to the cafeteria to get some hot dogs before they ran out for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

FF8 would have been great if it was just about attending SeeD classes, playing Triple Triad and hauling rear end to the cafeteria to get some hot dogs before they ran out for the day.

It does feature a long game spanning quest to get your friend laid so its honestly a pretty good game.