Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've been stealing these from Just Rolled Into The Shop

Caption: Is there a possibly I am pegrent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
How is babby formed

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

insta posted:

dude ride a loving bike to work

lmao I know cycling to work is extremely politically correct and makes you better than everyone else but you could not pay me enough to have to commute on a bike in any southern city

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
X-post from PYF Tasteless Tattoos:

Memento posted:

So is this just a case where old age caused the hose to deform, or does it indicate a blockage somewhere?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

X-post from PYF Tasteless Tattoos:

Seen one like it before if not the same one but I lmao every time.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So is this just a case where old age caused the hose to deform, or does it indicate a blockage somewhere?
Partial failure of the hose wall will cause that - inner layers broke, making the shape deform, but outer layer is still somehow holding on. For now.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Probably old age, maybe abuse or a manufacturing defect.

Radiator hoses are basically made in three layers, a bit like tires: an water/air-tight inner liner, a structured carcass that supports the hose against internal pressure, and an outer protective layer. If the inner layer is compromised because of old age, abuse, or a defect, then pressurized coolant will work its way through the reinforced carcass and create a bubble under the outer protective layer. That outer layer isn't really designed to hold pressure, so it'll eventually burst, but in the mean time you see that huge swollen bubble.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Space Gopher posted:

Probably old age, maybe abuse or a manufacturing defect.

Radiator hoses are basically made in three layers, a bit like tires: an water/air-tight inner liner, a structured carcass that supports the hose against internal pressure, and an outer protective layer. If the inner layer is compromised because of old age, abuse, or a defect, then pressurized coolant will work its way through the reinforced carcass and create a bubble under the outer protective layer. That outer layer isn't really designed to hold pressure, so it'll eventually burst, but in the mean time you see that huge swollen bubble.

Thank you!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It also happens when the woven layer fails and you're overheating badly, resulting in excess pressure. Outer layer blows up like a balloon and then finally pops and vents superheated coolant in every direction. I had this happen to me in 2011, luckily I heard the "pop... Pop... Pop Pop... Pop pop pop pop" of the woven layer undergoing cascade failure right before opening the hood, saw the hose bulging, slammed the hood right back down and got about 20ft before it let loose, so I didn't get a bunch of upper body second degree burns from it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Mudslides on I70 in Colorado have done this. It seemed like bad damage and then I noticed the ends of PT cable hanging free.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I saw the signs in Denver reading “I-70 Closed @ Glenwood Cyn”, now I know why.

We had some pretty serious wildfires there the spring before last.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Do we think he’ll get the bumper height violation he deserves?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That car must be completely invisible from the pickups POV.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I was backed into on 3 separate occasions when I had my 70’s Fiat 124’s

Have never had that happen in any other car

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

MrYenko posted:

Hell no, he's probably a cop

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mating season again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Midjack posted:

Mating season again.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Not a dig against him, but this is basically what I imagined Motronic drives around.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wasabi the J posted:

Not a dig against him, but this is basically what I imagined Motronic drives around.

:hmmyes:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

StormDrain posted:

Mudslides on I70 in Colorado have done this. It seemed like bad damage and then I noticed the ends of PT cable hanging free.

Oh poo poo. That's one of my favorite stretches of highway.

A couple of months ago when I was actually driving WB through it, there was some gnarly wreck that closed EB for like 12 hours. Local news photo looked like an upside down and flattened semi cab.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Godholio posted:

Oh poo poo. That's one of my favorite stretches of highway.

A couple of months ago when I was actually driving WB through it, there was some gnarly wreck that closed EB for like 12 hours. Local news photo looked like an upside down and flattened semi cab.

Remember those dudes who got popped in the caravan of Ford GTs with MFR plates there? What a way to lose your job and license.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Memento posted:

somebody on reddit may have beaten me to it but I can't be bothered to check

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FBS posted:

This is excellent, thank you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FBS posted:

Well, thus far its not lying.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

GM are always behind the technology curve. Hondas had 4 wheel steering back in 1988.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

FBS posted:

:discourse:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

I'm generally not for increased regulation of cars, but brodozers can go burn in hell. Those things are a plague of stupid.

That seems like a bad day.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

That seems like a bad day.
They drive a Trax, it was never a good day.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I'm generally not for increased regulation of cars, but brodozers can go burn in hell. Those things are a plague of stupid.

It was said earlier in the thread, it's really hard for other cops to get a ticket.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dodge it! ram it! bend it!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Pretty sure Motronic's Porsche pulls the same size dump trailer on the reg...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That's one creative way to get a Carolina squat.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Funny how people just avoid using simple math and instead chose to gently caress around and find out

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Funny how people just avoid using simple math and instead chose to gently caress around and find out

when i was doing landscaping and construction, i used this simple if/else statement for loading the truck:
If ((truck_capacity - load) <= (truck_capacity - one_more_scoop)) add_two_more_scoops();
else add_one_more_scoop();

This ensures you only ever overload the truck by up to one scoop, thus it's safe.

Note: there exists a bug where, due to integer division somewhere else in the code, the load gets floored and thus you can actually overload by two scoops. But nobody in construction cares about this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

1/2-ton truck owners continue to be unable to understand how little a half-ton is.
(Yes, I know the tow pull & tongue rating are different from the bed load capacity, but still applies.)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Exactly.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

1/2-ton truck owners continue to be unable to understand how little a half-ton is.
(Yes, I know the tow pull & tongue rating are different from the bed load capacity, but still applies.)

1500 Dodge maximum towing capacity at 9000lb and it means it. Lowest in its class and its clear why.
There's not a lot of sidewall deflection on the trailer tires despite being nose into the ground. If that's a case of not-mud that shouldn't be much over 10 ish thousand pounds. Work truck should have that kind of margin. This one doesn't have all the Audi LED fuckery going on, its a base model/contractor edition.

Half ton doesn't imply what it used to. F150 + 5.0 + MaxTow package is rated for more than oldschool F350s at 14,000 pounds. Payload capacity on those range 1700-2200 for Ford, 1200-2200 for the Dodge.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

cursedshitbox posted:

1500 Dodge maximum towing capacity at 9000lb and it means it. Lowest in its class and its clear why.
There's not a lot of sidewall deflection on the trailer tires despite being nose into the ground. If that's a case of not-mud that shouldn't be much over 10 ish thousand pounds. Work truck should have that kind of margin. This one doesn't have all the Audi LED fuckery going on, its a base model/contractor edition.

Half ton doesn't imply what it used to. F150 + 5.0 + MaxTow package is rated for more than oldschool F350s at 14,000 pounds. Payload capacity on those range 1700-2200 for Ford, 1200-2200 for the Dodge.

The problem isn’t the total weight of the trailer, it’s an idiot who doesn’t understand tongue weight. You could have a truck that could easily tow 15,000 pounds, but if you put a third of that weight on the hitch, you’ll break the truck.

You’re right that designations like “half ton” don’t mean anything any more, though. These days they just mean “small/medium/large.” The Ford Ranger and Honda Ridgeline are three quarter ton trucks if you go by what they can actually carry in the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

Ford Ranger and Honda Ridgeline are three quarter ton trucks if you go by what they can actually carry in the bed.

still not enough to Carry OP's mom around..

Sorry I'll show myself out.