Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRKz2tHmqNs

Nevermind sound like she did some actual more serious exercise as well, but unlike the guys in this video didn't get any model guns to toy around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

LimburgLimbo posted:

You don't have to be a badass hand to hand expert to know that a parade drill of stabbing knives overhand isn't exactly cutting-edge military training (well, in a way it is military training with a cutting edge hurhurhurhur).

I just asked a friend what she did for her uni military training and she's said yeah we just did parade drills in uniforms for two weeks then had a performance. If it rains you stay inside and watch movies about history and the military. Sounds like a chill enough way to get uni credits.

It sounds a lot like an ROTC program.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

LimburgLimbo posted:

Before I saw that video I kinda assumed that the dude may have been intentionally out to run over cops; looks more like he was trying to slip by them to get away, not thinking (or maybe not caring that) they'd be as aggressive throwing themselves at him

I don't buy it to be honest, he was clearly aiming at the first cop who dodged him and then got dragged down. I don't know if he deserved 9 years but yeah, I don't believe there was no intention there.

Also, it was a T intersection.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:59 on Aug 3, 2021

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Leftistly propping up 1/6 to attack Hong Kong protesters is immense galaxy brain

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It sounds a lot like an ROTC program.

Kinda diff because *everyone* does it. Also ROTC I guess is more extensive, and actually is intended to be a pipeline to the military, but the Chinese version seems more like a mandatory phys ed/icebreaker but with uniforms, and hey why not.

Edit: back when the ROTC would do actual firearms training on school ranges and stuff too. These days probably all just airguns if at all though.

LimburgLimbo has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Aug 3, 2021

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I don't buy it to be honest, he was clearly aiming at the first cop who dodged him and then got dragged down. I don't know if he deserved 9 years but yeah, I don't believe there was no intention there.

I mean regardless of intention he didn't stop and took a moving vehicle dangerously close to police officers and it's not like that would fly anywhere. Def going to be some political implications to his treatment but hey he wasn't summarily executed so better than a lot of US police departments.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LimburgLimbo posted:

The classic "we don't want to spend the money or time giving these people actual training also it makes better photos than sitting behind a gun on a range" move
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTB7k1tVujA&t=22s

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

LimburgLimbo posted:

Kinda diff because *everyone* does it. Also ROTC I guess is more extensive, and actually is intended to be a pipeline to the military, but the Chinese version seems more like a mandatory phys ed/icebreaker but with uniforms, and hey why not.

It's kind of worse than just a pipeline into the military, it's a pipeline into being a commissioned officer. It's basically earning credits to a military academy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

LimburgLimbo posted:

I mean regardless of intention he didn't stop and took a moving vehicle dangerously close to police officers and it's not like that would fly anywhere. Def going to be some political implications to his treatment but hey he wasn't summarily executed so better than a lot of US police departments.

I don't think the sentence would have been that different in the states but he probably would have a hard time walking.

(Granted, I think 1/6 was just a circus and if there was any attempt at "overthrowing the US government" it was done at a grade-school level.)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LimburgLimbo posted:

Edit: back when the ROTC would do actual firearms training on school ranges and stuff too. These days probably all just airguns if at all though.
texas a&m corps of cadets probably still plays with actual guns. i think they even do combat demos on the quad with blanks. i dunno who else though

that's texas a&m though

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ardennes posted:

I don't think the sentence would have been that different in the states but he probably would have a hard time walking.

(Granted, I think 1/6 was just a circus and if there was any attempt at "overthrowing the US government" it was done at a grade-school level.)

Assaulting a cop with a motorcycle would be a Class C felony, so about 3-10 years. The devil in the detail though is if they wanted to charge him individually for all 3 cops, which they probably would.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
At the end of the day, much like the shithead who caused the anti-ELAB, the crime (of driving into cops) didn't really matter. The Dangerous Driving charge didn't stick once he was convicted of the act of terrorism, and 6.5 years of the 9 year sentence was attributed to the act of the guy flying the flag with the secessionist slogan on it, the meaning of which was explained by a Lingan University professor who got a visit from Carrie Lam right after the conviction. The whole case was the first example of a conviction under National Security Law with three hand picked judges to ensure that, there was no way he was going to be freed, p much

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
HK assault police sentencing is so random. Look at this guy who beat up cop and for caught right away on camera. He only got 10 months.

https://youtu.be/noYQLv7JBvE

I remember the dude because I saw this live on YouTube. 10 month to me means either HK don't have proper laws to regulate assault police cases or the pro yellow ribbon judges were handing lenient sentences to yellow ribbon "activists". Whatever your interpretation of the sentence, this is why the sweeping National Security Law come in to take the judgment call off the judges hands.

So whose fault is it? HK society. Yeah I said it. I am not going to call this is fault of the HK youngsters who got pushed forwarded by the middle age HKer who were too chicken poo poo to lead a "leaderless" protest.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 12:05 on Aug 3, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hong Kong was bound to get hosed up after a century of colonial rule, and a couple of decades of Chinese suzereignty while still having all the colonial structures in place.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

millenials everywhere seemed to have internalized the notion of nonviolent protests
i had HK banker friends making fun of the weak poo poo that the protestors did which reminded me of living in NYC during OWS

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

The difference is that protests in the U.S. tend to involve firearms, even militarized demonstrators

Not to mention that storming legislatures has precedence in East Asia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fMgwuEi8Hc

https://thediplomat.com/2019/12/protesters-storm-national-assembly-capping-off-a-divisive-year-for-korean-politics/
https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3071557
protesting hordes stormed the state parliament of wisconsin in 2011, demanding the recall of the governor and state senators

"police found 41 rounds of 22-caliber rifle ammunition outside the Wisconsin state Capitol" and "Katherine R. Windels of Cross Plains, Wisconsin sent death threat e-mails to Republican lawmakers the same day the legislation passed, and was arrested and charged with two felony and two misdemeanor counts by the Dane County district attorney"

they were even rude to police

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

is this the edited video? I think I see the motorcycle in the distance but otherwise it seems like both the bike and the cops teleported there

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

shrike82 posted:

millenials everywhere seemed to have internalized the notion of nonviolent protests
i had HK banker friends making fun of the weak poo poo that the protestors did which reminded me of living in NYC during OWS
Well USA did pour a money into "educating" groups in non violent protest actions.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

where did the thing about American millennials “idolizing” China come from? if anything the overall mood towards China even in leftist spaces has gotten way more hostile vs the Obama era, when China at least among mainstream liberal opinion was seen as something America could get along with

the only people I’ve seen become more positive towards china are some Chinese Americans, mostly bc Trump really ramped up the witch-hunts against Chinese American scientists and engineers and Biden hasn’t let up, which has disillusioned a lot of the standard democrats who assumed that Biden would be less racist since he was a democrat and would go back to the Obama era status quo.

that Covid has been pretty much over for a year until the new delta outbreak for their relatives in China might have helped too

FrancisFukyomama has issued a correction as of 14:21 on Aug 3, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

might be a language barrier thing but there's a difference between idealize and idolize

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

protesting hordes stormed the state parliament of wisconsin in 2011, demanding the recall of the governor and state senators

"police found 41 rounds of 22-caliber rifle ammunition outside the Wisconsin state Capitol" and "Katherine R. Windels of Cross Plains, Wisconsin sent death threat e-mails to Republican lawmakers the same day the legislation passed, and was arrested and charged with two felony and two misdemeanor counts by the Dane County district attorney"

they were even rude to police

lol 41 rounds of .22 in Wisconsin? Stop the loving presses someone somewhere had $2 of ammunition haha. I wonder where "outside the state capitol" even means because I bet its in someone's trunk or something that they didn't even remember they had. Note they don't even mention finding a gun.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

shrike82 posted:

might be a language barrier thing but there's a difference between idealize and idolize

I don't know how, but your posting has gotten smugger and dumber.

Cpt_Obvious has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Aug 3, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If you're going to troll at least be funny like Chuka.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

lol 41 rounds of .22 in Wisconsin? Stop the loving presses someone somewhere had $2 of ammunition haha. I wonder where "outside the state capitol" even means because I bet its in someone's trunk or something that they didn't even remember they had. Note they don't even mention finding a gun.
i will not have you belittle the militant armed threat to the government of wisconsin which demanded removal from office of the duly elected executive and legislators, quite unlike the noble east asian storming of legislatures

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the armed/unarmed dimension is a side-note to whether a protest succeeds in getting some kind of change

i don't know what a successful protest movement in the US or China looks like - you can't really protest gig work as a concept or 996 culture

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

shrike82 posted:

the armed/unarmed dimension is a side-note to whether a protest succeeds in getting some kind of change

i don't know what a successful protest movement in the US or China looks like - you can't really protest gig work as a concept or 996 culture

Funnily enough Radio Warnerd had an episode about the insurgency in South Africa. One detail that stood out was that they got some self-help guy to ghostwrite Mandela's memoir. There was a lot of scrubbing done, by a lot of people.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

people did general strikes to get stuff like the 40 hour work week but i don't see it happening in a post-industrial society

it's a testament to how beaten down people are that bezos can walk around publicly

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

Leftistly propping up 1/6 to attack Hong Kong protesters is immense galaxy brain

they're cut from the same cloth and many of them have explicitly said so and expressed solidarity with the trumpists

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
"leftistly" defending the cretins channeling people into reactionary movements preventing murderers from getting extradited and racist abuse and mini kristallnachts against mainlainders instead of genuine grievances like working conditions and the cost of living

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3032041/hong-kongs-hatred-mainlanders-feeds-xenophobic-undercurrents-its

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Aug 3, 2021

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
weird day when the FT is advocating for regulation and number go down

https://www.ft.com/content/9599ddf1-3cf7-492c-b598-d48dfdd76416

Why it might be good for China if foreign investors are wary
Regulators should be more worried by too much buying of its stocks and bonds than by too little

The chaos in Chinese stock markets last week was exacerbated by foreign investors selling Chinese shares, leaving Beijing’s regulators scrambling to regain their confidence while they tried to stabilise domestic markets. But if foreign funds become more cautious about investing in Chinese stocks, this may in fact be a good thing for China.

In the past two years, inflows into China have soared by more than $30bn a month. This is partly because of a $10bn-a-month increase in the country’s monthly trade surplus and a $20bn-a-month rise in financial inflows. The trend is expected to continue. Although Beijing has an excess of domestic savings, it has opened up its financial markets in recent years to unfettered foreign inflows. This is mainly to gain international prestige for those markets and to promote global use of the renminbi.

But there is a price for this prestige. As long as it refuses to reimpose capital controls — something that would undermine many years of gradual opening up — Beijing can only adjust to these inflows in three ways. Each brings its own cost that is magnified as foreign inflows increase.

One way is to allow rising foreign demand for the renminbi to push up its value. The problem, of course, is that this would undermine China’s export sector and would encourage further inflows, which would in turn push China’s huge trade surplus into deficit. If this happened, China would have to reduce the total amount of stuff it produces (and so reduce gross domestic product growth).

The second way is for China to intervene to stabilise the renminbi’s value. During the past four years China’s currency intervention has occurred not directly through the People’s Bank of China but indirectly through the state banks. They have accumulated more than $1tn of net foreign assets, mostly in the past two years.

Huge currency intervention, however, is incompatible with domestic monetary control because China must create the renminbi with which it purchases foreign currency. The consequence, as the PBoC has already warned several times this year, would be a too-rapid expansion of domestic credit and the worsening of domestic asset bubbles.

Many readers will recognise that these are simply versions of the central bank trilemma: if China wants open capital markets, it must give up control either of the currency or of the domestic money supply. There is, however, a third way Beijing can react to these inflows, and that is by encouraging Chinese to invest more abroad, so that net inflows are reduced by higher outflows.

And this is exactly what the regulators have been trying to do. Since October of last year they have implemented a series of policies to encourage Chinese to invest more abroad, not just institutional investors and businesses but also households.

But even if these policies were successful (and so far they haven’t been), this would bring its own set of risks. In this case, foreign institutional investors bringing hot money into liquid Chinese securities are balanced by various Chinese entities investing abroad in a variety of assets for a range of purposes.

This would leave China with a classic developing-country problem: a mismatched international balance sheet. This raises the risk that foreign investors in China could suddenly exit at a time when Chinese investors are unwilling — or unable — to repatriate their foreign investments quickly enough. We’ve seen this many times before: a rickety financial system held together by the moral hazard of state support is forced to adjust to a surge in hot-money inflows, but cannot adjust quickly enough when these turn into outflows.

As long as Beijing wants to maintain open capital markets, it can only respond to inflows with some combination of the three: a disruptive appreciation in the currency, a too-rapid rise in domestic money and credit, or a risky international balance sheet. There are no other options.

That is why the current stock market turmoil may be a blessing in disguise. To the extent that it makes foreign investors more cautious about rushing into Chinese securities, it will reduce foreign hot-money inflows and so relieve pressure on the financial authorities to choose among these three bad options.

Until it substantially cleans up and transforms its financial system, in other words, China’s regulators should be more worried by too much foreign buying of its stocks and bonds than by too little.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

i heard and read various versions of this since 09'

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Atrocious Joe posted:

the number of people in the US who idealize China is miniscule compared to the number of people who think China is the new Nazi Germany. Even among millennials and younger generations, it's far more common to hear people talk about the unique evil of China.

which is funny because *moitons vaguely towards the global south*

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

mila kunis posted:

they're cut from the same cloth and many of them have explicitly said so and expressed solidarity with the trumpists

I don’t really care about the HK protests it’s just lol to minimize the 1/6 chuds as some sort of international geopolitical point

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

I don’t really care about the HK protests it’s just lol to minimize the 1/6 chuds as some sort of international geopolitical point

are you incapable of reading or what

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

FrancisFukyomama posted:

where did the thing about American millennials “idolizing” China come from? if anything the overall mood towards China even in leftist spaces has gotten way more hostile vs the Obama era, when China at least among mainstream liberal opinion was seen as something America could get along with

Since this stupid topic comes up everywhere in this forum, I'll just quote myself

Lostconfused posted:

What you suggest doesn't match with reality if you just look a bit closer at the survey results.

Opinion of China hasn't gotten dramatically worse when this "Wolf Warrior Diplomacy" thing started. In Germany it was even getting better the entire time. You can see the entire spike was caused by the public reaction to the pandemic outbreak.

Lostconfused posted:

The opinion of China improved under Trump, weirdly enough.
According to surveys the opinion of China supposedly got better under Trump. Now do surveys reflect reality at all is a different question.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

mila kunis posted:

are you incapable of reading or what

C-SPAM, bitch

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

can we just chain-prob or threadban shrike82 because either he's really dumb and/or a terrible troll

here's a thread of examples from one of the most popular/well-known "leftist" mag and their feelings about china
https://twitter.com/RodericDay/status/1412259829092020237?s=20

Zmej has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Aug 3, 2021

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

Since this stupid topic comes up everywhere in this forum, I'll just quote myself

According to surveys the opinion of China supposedly got better under Trump. Now do surveys reflect reality at all is a different question.

huh, that’s surprising, my bad then. pressure on Chinese Americans has been going up since trump between the rash of hate crimes and fbi harassment of professors so I figured that accompanied an overall increase in anti China sentiment. the Chinese American communities have been feeling a lot less secure than they were 10 years ago with pretty much everyone experiencing at least some level of harassment under Covid

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Personally I do not belive that things got "better" under Trump.

It's just that in USA the escalation in negative perception of China was already there before Trump, particular during Obama's 2nd term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mila kunis posted:

no reactionaries in the hk protests nossir

https://twitter.com/ajitxsingh/status/1267835131039035406

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1327038760798793729

it also absolutely wasnt rife with xenophobia and harassment and beatings of mainlanders and assholes literally burning people alive

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3037243/hong-kong-father-two-burned-alive-after-chasing

Hong Kong is rightfully being punished.