Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just as an example of how bad the disinfo out there is getting .......

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1421886805427867654

Good luck combatting that with the limp "Please get vaxxed, okay?? Pretty please? Oh and start wearing masks again plz?" messaging from the WH and the CDC

What do you suggest they do instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

mandates and (at minimum) fines for violating those mandates.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

My wife just texted me to tell me she was with our children having a drink outside the pub and some creepy old gently caress that had seen them wearing masks started ranting about them being brainwashed by Boris Johnson. My wife told him she didn't want or care about his opinions so go away, then he got all up in my 12 year old daughter's face and freaked her the gently caress out.

Jesus Christ. loving people.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Zugzwang posted:

That's good news indeed and perhaps my doomer brain can take a breather!

Granted, FL has ~3x the population of MA, but that's still 4x higher per capita.

LA is looking particularly bad since their population is about 2/3 of MA's, so a ~10x higher infection rate for kids is pretty oof.

LA's vaccination rate is 37% fully vaxxed versus 64% for MA, with FL in between at 49%. I wonder how much of the infection disparity between MA and FL is because of that 15% and how much of it is because DeSantis is actively trying to murder his people.

The numbers in that tweet are already adjusted for population, making the comparison between the states even more stark.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Akuma posted:

My wife just texted me to tell me she was with our children having a drink outside the pub and some creepy old gently caress that had seen them wearing masks started ranting about them being brainwashed by Boris Johnson. My wife told him she didn't want or care about his opinions so go away, then he got all up in my 12 year old daughter's face and freaked her the gently caress out.

I had a similar experience couple days ago. I usually try to prevent any and all shopping trips at the moment, but had to get some stuff from the grocery. Guy behind me nearly basically drives his shopping cart into my legs (the whole shop of course has „stop here“ lines on the floor so distancing rules are applied, which he totally ignored). I turn around, and he looks at me, his mask (which is still mandated here) under his face. I kindly ask him to back off, and he just makes a funny face at me. I look to the owner of the shop and point at the guy and shrug my shoulders like „seriously?“ and nothing happens. I move up the queue and then that guy actually moves his cart right next to me, and continues to get as close to me with that loving smiling face as possible.

I never, ever in my life (outside of an hockey rink) wanted to punch someone or actually did punch someone in the face, but at that point, I really had to control myself, and it was loving hard.

The worst thing about this is that I thought about that hosed up situation the whole day, even when I went to bed.

I‘m really afraid of these situations when everything opens up here (which will happen sooner or later, regardless of the situation), because they will happen more and more…

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 3, 2021

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

tuo posted:

The worst thing about this is that I thought about that hosed up situation the whole day, even when I went to bed.
And he probably didn't think about it all because he's a broken old sociopath. gently caress!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/MichelleKinney/status/1422558103883681796?s=20

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I can’t wait for the terrible HIPAA takes this is gonna create.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Akuma posted:

If it makes you feel any better the reason that creepy old gently caress was alone is because everyone in his own personal life has already told him to gently caress off.

You’re the closest thing he has to a friend right now.

Lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Forced vaccination

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

freebooter posted:

Thanks a lot Europe.
Modi and :911: would like a word.

Castaign posted:

The numbers in that tweet are already adjusted for population, making the comparison between the states even more stark.
Somehow I missed the "adjusted for population" in that tweet. :eng99: I need more sleep.

Akuma posted:

And he probably didn't think about it all because he's a broken old sociopath. gently caress!
These people are uniquely difficult to deal with because of the triple whammy of them being (1) Dangerously wrong, (2) Smug and aggressive about it, and (3) Potentially infecting you because they shove their maskless faces into yours.

They're not going to enforce it until mid-September.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

that'll get those "mark of the beast" folks riled up but what doesn't these days?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
When do Florida's numbers come in? Is it today?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

that'll get those "mark of the beast" folks riled up but what doesn't these days?

Yeah, who loving cares. This is a major public health crisis. People need to get vaccinated by any means necessary.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

"13-year-old teen, infected with COVID-19. Another reason to avoid returning to schools, this is not the time and here is the proof.

See the severe damage to her lungs "

https://twitter.com/HectorRossete/status/1422362607088922630?s=20

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(21)00182-4/fulltext

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

freebooter posted:

Pretty close to, only about two or three countries in the world have done better, but my point there was that Europe was the place that really decided to just let it rip. China had it well under control by the first week of March 2020. Now everybody on the planet just has to deal with it for centuries to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_0zFEtPbiA Plenty of blame to go around.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Is there a point to posting this link, or do you expect people to just read a research paper?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i only accept information in the form of screenshots of tweets of headlines

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Crackbone posted:

Is there a point to posting this link, or do you expect people to just read a research paper?

I read chunks of it, mostly focusing on introduction and conclusions, because I am an idiot who likes to subject myself to these things. I think I can guess why someone would post that here.

tl;dr the conclusions of this study is that loss of smell could be linked to neurodegenerative disease. It doesn't seem to have any direct evidence of this, focusing instead on the inflammation of the olfactory system during and after infection but offers it as part of the conclusion

quote:

Mounting evidence implicates neuroinflammatory signalling within the brain as a key driver of neurodegenerative diseases. Brain regions involved in processing olfactory input are early sites of the pathological hallmarks of neurodegenerative disease and connect to adjacent brain regions involved in memory and attention.97, 100 We thus postulate that, in people who have recovered from COVID-19, a chronic or permanent olfactory deficit could be prognostic for an increased likelihood of neurological sequelae or neurodegenerative disorders in the long term.

I'd say it's probably not really a great paper to be passing around as most people will just read this as a direct link, rather than a potential risk and a call to monitor for signs of neurodegenerative disease in patients with these symptoms.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Cuomo seemed like the best governor to have if you are worried about covid since he has no problem telling schools and businesses to go gently caress themselves when they ask to remove the mask mandate.

If he resigns, who replaces him? I'm not American so I don't know how it works. Hopefully his replacement is extremely pro mask and not some nutter like Elise Stefanik?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blooster posted:

Cuomo seemed like the best governor to have if you are worried about covid since he has no problem telling schools and businesses to go gently caress themselves when they ask to remove the mask mandate.

If he resigns, who replaces him? I'm not American so I don't know how it works. Hopefully his replacement is extremely pro mask and not some nutter like Elise Stefanik?

Cuomo handled it so badly he lost his state a congressional representative.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

wilderthanmild posted:

I read chunks of it, mostly focusing on introduction and conclusions, because I am an idiot who likes to subject myself to these things. I think I can guess why someone would post that here.

tl;dr the conclusions of this study is that loss of smell could be linked to neurodegenerative disease. It doesn't seem to have any direct evidence of this, focusing instead on the inflammation of the olfactory system during and after infection but offers it as part of the conclusion

I'd say it's probably not really a great paper to be passing around as most people will just read this as a direct link, rather than a potential risk and a call to monitor for signs of neurodegenerative disease in patients with these symptoms.

Thanks, I appreciate the summary and caution that it's not really what most people would read into it.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Blooster posted:

Cuomo's also a sexpest so kinda... please get the gently caress out of here Cuomo

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Omnikin posted:

Cuomo's also a sexpest so kinda... please get the gently caress out of here Cuomo

Yeah, he's also a bully so at first glance it can seem like he just has no problem telling <potentially obstructing organizations> to go gently caress themselves, but that is based far more on his need to dominate those organizations than some principled stand for what is right and must be done. He's just as likely to be telling the health department to go gently caress themselves because he wants them to hide the number of nursing home deaths in the state.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 3, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Idle thinking, but now that it’s been shown that Delta hides in the noses of the vaccinated and they spread it just as easy - did that happen with the flu vaccine too? Or was it never studied

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Idle thinking, but now that it’s been shown that Delta hides in the noses of the vaccinated and they spread it just as easy - did that happen with the flu vaccine too? Or was it never studied

It's not really some magical hiding thing, it's more that asymptomatic infections have sufficient viral loads in their airways to spread the disease. This didn't appear to to be the case with the wild-type or other variants. Combine this with delta having more breakthroughs, both asymptomatic and symptomatic, and you have a very serious risk that definitely warrants not considering vaccinated individuals as safe by default. It's just important to understand this isn't some totally novel thing.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I said this at least a year ago and I'm going to say it again. I'm not really joking. Why can't we plug our noses with some kind of foam type device and just become mouth breathers for 3 months

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Spinz posted:

I said this at least a year ago and I'm going to say it again. I'm not really joking. Why can't we plug our noses with some kind of foam type device and just become mouth breathers for 3 months

The guy who wrote this book participated in an experiment doing that for a month, it wrecked his health (breathing only through mouth)
https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/breath-james-nestor/1134986035

Basically mouth breathers are dumber, weaker, and get more sick because your lungs are not meant to receive air like that, there’s all sorts of filters in the nasal airways

It’s an interesting book, it also possibly links poor breathing technique to anxiety attacks/Oxygen-CO2 balance (which is why slow breathing seems to help anxiety attacks, too much oxygen can be bad)

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Obviously I don't like Cuomo and I think he should resign and even be arrested but I'm just wondering if his replacement is going to be some anti mask moron like the dem running against DeSantis

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Pinecone Sample posted:

The best way to convince hesitant people that the vaccine works is to actually behave as though your vaccine works, live your life, and do dope poo poo

i can't bc all the unvaxxed people have forced a crisis in my state. we're back at the same infection rates as July/Aug 2020 when the second wave surged

lol

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Blooster posted:

Obviously I don't like Cuomo and I think he should resign and even be arrested but I'm just wondering if his replacement is going to be some anti mask moron like the dem running against DeSantis

Probably not in New York. Florida dems probably just think that they have to win over Florida Man to win by basically just being republicans with D next to their names.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Edit, double post

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Spinz posted:

Already ahead of ya since I have been completely unable to breathe through my nose for the past few days.

Yes I am aware of what that might mean and I'm staying the gently caress away from people more than I already was.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yeah, that's a big reason why I agree with the landlord in this case. He and his wife would be in direct danger by allowing this kid to move into their basement, not to mention the other renters. There's a lot of hand wringing from lawyers about slippery slopes in that article.

"What if they suddenly want to know about OTHER vaccines for OTHER diseases?!" Dude. Month 18 of a global pandemic. Shut up.

OTOH you know landlords if given any leeway with this would suddenly be "disclose all your medical history to me"

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Pekinduck posted:

OTOH you know landlords if given any leeway with this would suddenly be "disclose all your medical history to me"

renter acknowledges that in the case of a cancer diagnosis, landlord shall reserve the right to end the lease due to expected inability to pay owed rent. any cancer diagnosis must be provided within 24 hours to landlord

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Pekinduck posted:

What do you mean? Isn't that already mandatory? ...Are you going to tell me the butthole pictures I was asked to submit were also necessary?

Yeah I know, give them an inch and they'll take a mile. Which is weird that I find myself agreeing with the landlord in thise case. Only because it's just a room in a shared space.

edit - or better yet landlord should just not rent out that space if he can't prevent unvaccinated people renting.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 3, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blooster posted:

New York has sent enough people our way, so we're returning the favor and giving you DeSantis.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The guy who wrote this book participated in an experiment doing that for a month, it wrecked his health (breathing only through mouth)
https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/breath-james-nestor/1134986035

Basically mouth breathers are dumber, weaker, and get more sick because your lungs are not meant to receive air like that, there’s all sorts of filters in the nasal airways

It’s an interesting book, it also possibly links poor breathing technique to anxiety attacks/Oxygen-CO2 balance (which is why slow breathing seems to help anxiety attacks, too much oxygen can be bad)

Amazing.
Looks fantastic, I'm going to look for this book, thank you!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I've read a ton of this thread, haven't really touched C-SPAM.

I thought someone showed a tweet, or graph, or some poo poo about there is a 20% chance to have a breakthrough infection? Most likely, I went and got my numbers and posts all mixed up .. everything I've looked online at says it's more like a 1% chance.

did i hallucinate?

Also, it seems like if they do develop a nasal spray, that'd help out a lot. Maybe not with the anti-vax people, but at least a stronger defense with people willing to get vax'd (more, or finally)