Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Had a corneal scrape operation yesterday morning and I can barely keep my good eye open for more than 5 seconds without the light sensitivity making a stabbing pain in my head. Luckily they prescribed me some liquid oxycodone for painkillers which helps a bit, but it doesn't stop the photosensitivity so I still can't keep my eye open for very long regardless. And the quarter-sized bandage lens in the operated-on eye is uncomfortable at the best times and very painful at the worst. Imagine the feeling of getting something in your eye, except it just stays there for a week until the eye heals. This sucks so bad. Still not as painful as the time my other eye got operated on for the same problem, though, so that's good at least.

The operation itself was of course miserable, they clockwork orange your eye open and then go in with a scalpel to remove the corneal scar tissue, it doesn't hurt or anything since the eye itself has no pain receptors. but the instinct to clench your eyelids shut is so overwhelmingly strong that I could not stop my body from hurting itself against the restraints and eye speculum.

It's going to be a long week. At least I was able to get some sleep this time without REM sleep immediately making me leap out of bed screaming from the bandage lens banging around against my eyelids this time, so that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My job is having staffing problems. We need about 3 people to do this job and we're stuck at 2. I'm doing the best I can with where they put me but no matter where I go stuff falls on the people above me and so they shuffle me around. I'm not going to let them burn me out, but it's frustrating because I know management is basically just playing musical chairs with who in the department they're going to piss off each day until something gives. It's even more frustrating because I have found a niche I'm good at and would like to do every day, but it makes my colleagues resent me because it's marginally less taxing on the body than other roles. And it's not going to get better until/unless they find people for what is ultimately a pretty esoteric role that doesn't have a lot of longevity. Even now I'm training to transfer, I just have to hold on... I just don't want to do it burnt tf out. I do not have the support structures in my daily life to accommodate that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

In January a driver blazing through a left turn green light hit me while I was in a crosswalk. Overall I made it out in miraculously good condition but for the first few weeks my right wrist hurt so, so badly and was so weak. It was doing better by the time I started seeing a physical therapist for my shoulder injury and he didn't bother hiding the fact he thought I was exaggerating or even lying about how much it hurt at first. Over the course of the year it's continued to be mostly fine, but occasionally starts aching after performing tasks that require hand/wrist strength -- particularly at work. The frequency and intensity of the aching has been slowly increasing over time but the PT hadn't been worried so obviously it wasn't anything serious and/or it was all in my head, right, and I kept ignoring it until a couple weeks ago I couldn't ignore it anymore and made an appointment for some diagnostics.

Turns out I have a scapholunate dissociation, which means all the ligaments broke around one of my carpal bones and it's been slowly rotating out of position for the last six months. It's, like, really out of position now. Like orthopedic surgery out of position. I'm a veterinary technician and I kind of need my hands and it's my dominant hand and insult to injury (heh) I've been learning sign language the last few months, which obviously I can't do anymore or at least for a long while, and I'd finally found a second language I was enjoying learning and felt like I was good at. And like, aside from all that, it's loving wrist surgery, who wants to have loving wrist surgery even if you don't need to wrestle dogs and manipulate needles and extract teeth for a living FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, gently caress me right, I am having a REALLY lovely DAY.

I was in the loving middle of the loving crosswalk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if they ruined your life I hope you're prepared to ruin theirs

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

if they ruined your life I hope you're prepared to ruin theirs

Agreed. Have the animals stalk and hunt them.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
My wife's cousin died of cancer last night. She was not close to him, and had not seen him in over 15 years, but a bit of her childhood left her last night.

And it was a poo poo death. Cancer was discovered about 6 weeks ago, and went untreated by Kaiser for "reasons". It is as if they just wanted to solve the problem by waiting on his death. gently caress Kaiser.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i got spaghetti from a restaurant (which i never do because nothing compares to homemade) and they broke the pasta. first time i took the risk in years and they disrespect me

what the hell, people.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Kinda for a week now but every evening my blood sugar crashes. Decent meal at about 7, normal amount of insulin (10 units, seems appropriate for the food) , just fine tiil about 11 and then it crashes. I'm going through my medicinal Fanta at a rapid pace and I don't like sugary drinks that much even :mad:
Edit: I don't mind every now and again but almost a week straight and I'm getting ornery

God damnit, I'm eating decent and everything. Bit of sichuan sour and spicy shredded potato, shredded chicken in garlic sauce, brown rice.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Aug 4, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Was tipped about an apartment for rent that would be a massive upgrade for me space-wise, two bedrooms, not a spider infested dank cellar, a garden, cheaper, just an amazing opportunity I can not avail myself of because the county won't let me break my current lease with my slumlord who is "struggling" like we "all" are, according to the fucker i talked to

I take painkillers to deal with my hosed up back, the painkillers make me extremely constipated and due to poverty i cant afford laxatives so while my back may not make me want to kill myself my stomach does, I have spent the last six hours trying to poo poo more desperately than anyone ever

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

You might still be in mourning. Don't rush the loss of something major. Feel the pain, don't cling, let it go. Let yourself find something new. It doesn't have to be your life-project mk. 2, it doesn't have to be grand, it doesn't have to be anything ambitious. It just has to be something that fills you.

Ages back but i just wanted to say thank you. I took your advice and haven't rushed the mourning process and started a minor project to get myself back into committing to something. After months of grueling work it's starting to pay off, feeling a little bit of the creative drive showing up to join me sometimes. It's nowhere near the flood i used to have but it's good to know that at least a little bit remains.

I come back and re-read this reply when it feels hopeless to cheer me on. It helps. Thank you.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a massive headache that won't go away but I can't leave work.

Thankfully someone in my gaming guild got me an unexpected present and made me feel much better.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Mostly the way these forums are so loving antagonistic somedays. Especially when you already had a pretty lovely day and didn't want more negativity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a lot of goons are pretty cool. just put the ones who are always nasty to people on ignore, it helps so much.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I moved to a new city and for a lot of reasons rented an apartment sight-unseen with only a video walkthrough. Surprising nobody it is a lot worse than it looked and is a definite downgrade from my prior in many ways including cost. The area seems...ok though?

I feel like I should have just moved into one of those obnoxious large bougie apartment complexes while looking for a new place.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Because babies should not be allowed on red eye flights. Full stop.

gently caress you, infant human. gently caress you.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

i found out my dog has a tumor the size of a golf ball in his tongue. its got large enough that its making him drool constantly and he bit it when eating yesterday, causing him to drool blood. The vet says that to excise it would involve cutting out his entire tongue and we should put him down for his own sake. im an emotional wreck right now, i havent spent more than a few hours more than a few feet from him in the last ten years.

He is drugged up right now. i dont want to move him to clean his mat. :smith:

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I am stuck in my own room with my own thoughs for 9 days. I will take any recommendations for good shows or podcasts, especially if its really drat funny.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Midig posted:

I am stuck in my own room with my own thoughs for 9 days. I will take any recommendations for good shows or podcasts, especially if its really drat funny.

The F Plus is a great podcast and got me through something similar a while back

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

That podcast is really good besides the feeling that you need to shower.

Midig has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Aug 20, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
If you like anime/DBZ I recommend Team Four Star. They did awesome work with DBZ Abridged, all the way through Cell. The animation and the voice work is loving amazing, and pretty loving funny.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I really tried to drive to the store I work out, to see if I'd be able to get myself to work tonight since my partner isn't in town right now, and I just couldn't do it. Some years back I started having panic attacks while driving, and it's just gotten worse and worse over time. I made it like two minutes from our apartment, and had to sit in the parking lot of a gas station trying to calm down, scarfing down some food I bought in said gas station, and trying not to cry, before I could manage the two minute ride back home.

I hate this, so much. I want to be able to go places on my own, without having to pay for a ride or get one from my partner/friends. But it's just too much.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

I'm so sorry 😟 give your dog a good hug for me. I hope you can make him comfortable and happy before his time is up.. My girlfriend has 2 elderly dogs that are best buddies, and I'm dreading the day when the one in worse shape starts to go.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Constipated posted:

I'm so sorry 😟 give your dog a good hug for me. I hope you can make him comfortable and happy before his time is up.. My girlfriend has 2 elderly dogs that are best buddies, and I'm dreading the day when the one in worse shape starts to go.

He spent the night sleeping against my legs, and drooled up a huge stain on my bedding. I've decided to let him tell me when he is ready to go, when he no longer wants to eat and such. I've come to acceptance, but it really sucks

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

To add to the shittiness that is not being able to drive myself to work while walking there last night some asshat swerved at me when I was walking along the side of the road. Had to pretty much jump out of the way and tripped onto my knee. So not only does my knee hurt like hell, I have to wash my work pants again after just washing them yesterday.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Been isolated for a solid week due to covid. Was actually pretty nice to watch the first season of mandalorian and read up on the lore of Dune since the film arrives in two weeks. Now however, I have this sensation in my neck where it feels like i have food or phlegm stuck there. But it is basically just my uvula hitting my swollen throat. It is a constant annoyance and I find it really hard to focus on anything else. I would go back to constant fever and coughing than this hell.

Midig has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Aug 23, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Midig posted:

Been isolated for a solid week due to covid. Was actually pretty nice to watch the first season of mandalorian and read up on the lore of Dune since the film arrives in two weeks. Now however, I have this sensation in my neck where it feels like i have food or phlegm stuck there. But it is basically just my uvula hitting my swollen throat. It is a constant annoyance and I find it really hard to focus on anything else. I would go back to constant fever and coughing than this hell.

Being on the upswing was the worst part for me. At least when I was all the way sick I was just at this baseline misery and would put on weird tv shows and have insane fever dreams. Recovering from COVID was like, I’d feel all the way better in the morning then steadily feel worse as the fever came back. Having that hope and having it taken away was just awful.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have one of those zits on the bottom back corner of my nostril and it’s maddening.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I think I have gout. It's extraordinarily painful.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

bitterandtwisted posted:

I think I have gout. It's extraordinarily painful.

Can confirm, it’s very painful. Take aleeve (or the generic) and talk to a doc about a preventative prescription.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Good god drat, why is it so hard to find someone who can reliably relieve me in the mornings?

Wait, I know the answer to that. Because Payroll is staffed by dildos and fools, and completely hosed up paying the last person who was supposed to take that shift, so they quit
:ughh:

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Aug 28, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Good god drat, why is it so hard to find someone who can reliably relieve me in the mornings?

Wait, I know the answer to that. Because Payroll is staffed by dildos and fools, and completely hosed up paying the last person who was supposed to take that shift, so they quit
:ughh:

Just leave when your shifts over? gently caress em

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm a security guard. Leaving the post unattended and being caught sleeping on duty are basically the two insta-termination things we can do. Would if I didn't need the job.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I used to have a person who was supposed to relieve me on the ambulance who would always be 10-30 minutes late. It sucked, the amount of times I’d catch a call in those 10-30 minutes and be stuck at work for an extra two hours while the late guy did nothing (can’t check the ambulance if it’s not there!) were obscene. I have no idea how he never caught any discipline for it.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Buried my dog today. between today and last week,the tumors in his mouth doubled in size. we had him put to sleep at around noon. just finished burying him.

My brother and I are filling in the hole we are burying him in. my dad is there. he loved the guy too. my mom was there. we are not half way done filling the hole.

"Now you can focus on fixing the roof!":byodame:

I wound up to hit her with the shovel before I caught myself and told her to get the gently caress away, you sociopath. She wasnt talking to me, but my dad. but loving christ.

I need to mop my house.. there.. is a lot of dog blood stains on the floor from where his tongue tumor was bleeding.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Day 55 without seeing my son, because 3 years ago I didn't know his mum was going to turn out to be the worst chick I've ever met.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dear brain: stop getting sick. It's not loving cool.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I introduced one of my high school best friends to my girlfriend yesterday. I've been with her for two and a half years and due to the pandemic and everything, neither of us has gotten a good chance to introduce each other to all the important people in our lives. Everything was going smoothly for the most part, he had a blunt rolled up and wanted to smoke, I wanted to go 1 minute down the road to a park so we wouldn't smoke out my old guy neighbor as he had been going in and out of his house using tools working on some kind of project. My friend started being an rear end in a top hat and wanted to smoke in my garage, after a little arguing (which got on my nerves) he relented and we went to the park. After he smokes and we've walked around and had some laughs we start walking back to the car. I had mentioned how I've worked nearly a month straight, how busy we are at work due to the semiconductor shortage (which was entirely Trump's fault, and mostly avoidable) and how everything is so miserable and people we really depend on are leaving due to stress/exhaustion. He asked me if I'd rather have Biden in the whitehouse or Trump.. Me and the GF answered Biden. He scoffed and couldn't believe what he was hearing. This is a guy who has never ever payed any attention to politics, has never voted, never watches news, never reads about current events across the world. I had always thought of him as apolitical, the sort of person who distrusted every administration, right wing and left wing.

He then proceeds to tell me the election was stolen, how he would rather have a guy who "speaks for himself" over someone who has others speak for him.. I was shocked. My friend is not an intelligent person, but he was always very kind and sweet. He had terrible grades all throughout school and was the typical stoner stereotype. Instead of arguing I just stopped talking pretty much, we were only a minute from his car and a minute drive from my house. The rest of the time together was very awkward, and I was so bummed out after he left.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Welcome to indoctrination.

edit: one of my first posts in this thread, in fact, similar sort of situation. wonderful lady who had been friends with my mom for decades, started watching fox news, went full blown qanon later past this post eventually to the point of driving down to washington for the capitol raid but "didn't join in because she was afraid of being killed by antifa"

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, recently I found out my mom's best friend is like, hardcore trump possibly Qanon crazy shitbag. And boy trying to explain to my mom why that is a bad thing to associate with didn't go well. She was pretty normal until, and this always seems to be the catalyst, she started watching fox news religiously. Broke my mom of that before it took hold, but her friend went full bore down the rabbit hole.

you could try finding out where he's getting this information, it could be something as innocuous as like, the tv stations at a diner(or something) he visits feeding him bullshit, who knows. I went to a local diner and they had loving OAN on the tvs.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Aug 31, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I've already had the talk with my mom that she doesn't get to talk to me about Biden or religion. She proved time and time again these last 4 years that she doesn't give a poo poo about anything Christ taught or the lives of human beings. She used to and that kills me. I looked up to her so much.

Now next time I talk to her I'm going to hear about the teens of people democrats let die while I furiously wave my arms at all of 2020 (and now 2021.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

No joke he is probably getting his news from tiktok and instagram memes and where ever those links go.. I don't know for sure. If I wasn't an honest guy I could probably trick him into believing some really dumb things. This has made me reexamine my relationships with all the people I thought were my friends that I haven't seen since before the pandemic. Starting to feel like I only have 1 true friend aside from my girlfriend, and even that ones debatable..