Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

live with fruit posted:

Part of the MCU's success comes from not catering to pedantic nerds.

Kamala's stretching and enlarging powers and her embracing of them have always been a positive message for teenage girls with body issues. Disney just took it away. I can't speak for anyone else, but that's why I think this is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I mean the recent video game seems to do it pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1VZi4KFXww

Also on the gently caress Disney front
https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1422297797588623361

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The most successful what if? May be marvel zombies, I think? It was ramp up after ramp up of ridiculous premises (at one point some of them eat galactus and become space zombies that travel across galaxies to eat people), got a bunch of spin offs using cult fav characters like Howard the duck and machine man, and when interest waned it ended with a whimper utilizing very comic book power abuse (the sandman - the villain in spider man who turns to sand - is revealed to be a secret weapon hidden in a jar and upon release he killed the space zombies because the sand shreds their flesh to nano pieces). It was a very strange series!

Marvel zombies became a lot better after the first series, they stopped taking the concept seriously and just went full ham.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Jedit posted:

Kamala's stretching and enlarging powers and her embracing of them have always been a positive message for teenage girls with body issues. Disney just took it away. I can't speak for anyone else, but that's why I think this is poo poo.

Maybe hold off until this is confirmed, instead of getting upset over rumours.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Seedge posted:

Maybe hold off until this is confirmed, instead of getting upset over rumours.

It's claimed to be a leak of official Disney promo art, and the source (MCU Facility) has more of the same stuff including T'Challa as Star-Lord in a pose that hasn't been used in any previous clip or promo shot. If this is fake, then someone with genuine access has gone to a lot of trouble to make it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
People were so excited at the reveal of Kamala's comicbook accurate look, there's just no way, NO WAY, they could get away with dropping the embiggening powers and I don't think they would even consider trying.

I'm all-in on a training wheels armband or similar. Kevin Feige knows how important this character is in terms of representation, he wouldn't let her get done dirty like this. Our dude hasn't let us down yet.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

8one6 posted:

Has there been a stretchy powered person in any non-animated show/movie that has actually looked good?

I think the Elongated Man on Flash worked well enough, before the character had to be shelved due to the actor being a sex pest.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ror posted:

A lot of people are saying "I told you so" because apparently this was in a rumor drop months ago

The people with inside info say the first three are definitely true based on things coming out but nothing has proven the last two yet. If you don't want to read more possible spoilers then the relevant one is that she can still embiggen, she just also has the constructs. Unclear if embiggen also means stretch or if it's more limited.

I hope these things then open the door for Daisy (Quake) and maybe even Yoyo reprising their roles, even if for an episode or two. They are Inhumans, but aren't royalty.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Changing the origin of the armband from a significant family heirloom too some Starktech nonsense is still not a good sign.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

swickles posted:

I hope these things then open the door for Daisy (Quake) and maybe even Yoyo reprising their roles, even if for an episode or two. They are Inhumans, but aren't royalty.

I'd be honestly surprised if any of the characters from the non-Marvel Studios shows showed up without it being a few seconds of a multiverse montage.

They don't seem to want to do anything with those characters. If I had to guess the various shows will get rebooted sometime during or after phase 4.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

If there’s any character I would expect to show up in the MCU from the previous TV shows it’s Daisy Johnson. Disney has kept her around doing the voice of the character for a while now and seems to like her.

Still she won’t be in it because she’s busy filming the Power Puff Girls.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I mean... I want to take it with a grain of salt, because we're literally getting a Hawkeye show with Kate Bishop + Lucky the Pizza Dog, looking like it'll follow one of the best comic runs by Matt Fraction.

I don't see how you'd do a Ms Marvel show, in the MCU, where she doesn't have here Embiggen powers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Infinitum posted:

I don't see how you'd do a Ms Marvel show, in the MCU, where she doesn't have here Embiggen powers.

According to the leak that says they changed her powers: She also has embiggen powers. You just don't "know" about them initially and you're supposed to think she only has the bracelet, but surprise, she is an Inhuman.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If that's the case then they probably want to both differentiate her from Mr. Fantastic and also save on the CGI budget by using embiggening sparingly.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Edmund Lava posted:

If there’s any character I would expect to show up in the MCU from the previous TV shows it’s Daisy Johnson. Disney has kept her around doing the voice of the character for a while now and seems to like her.

Still she won’t be in it because she’s busy filming the Power Puff Girls.

Yeah, she was a pop star in China and that alone is worth like a billion in box office and it markets itself in Asia.

Edit: also is Powerpuff Girls still happening?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

swickles posted:

Edit: also is Powerpuff Girls still happening?

Last I heard it was being retooled, so the cast will mostly be free.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Open Source Idiom posted:

Last I heard it was being retooled, so the cast will mostly be free.

Retooled with the same cast, just a different script.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

To be fair Kamala often forgets she can shape shift in the comics, so maybe she forgot she can shoot purple lasers?

:thunk:

On the flip side :laffo: at the idea of The Purple Fist showing off a better Iron Fist than Netflix :v:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

swickles posted:

Yeah, she was a pop star in China and that alone is worth like a billion in box office and it markets itself in Asia.

I think Bennett’s singing career has been greatly over-exaggerated, from what I can tell she has put out a few singles, but that’s a decade ago. As much as I like her, she is not a pop star.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Oasx posted:

I think Bennett’s singing career has been greatly over-exaggerated, from what I can tell she has put out a few singles, but that’s a decade ago. As much as I like her, she is not a pop star.

If her Wikipedia page is accurate she only released 3 singles, only one was actually in Chinese, and all of them after she moved back to America. So unless there’s something more the whole pop star thing is just trivia.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Klungar posted:

I think the Elongated Man on Flash worked well enough, before the character had to be shelved due to the actor being a sex pest.

Never watched it, but just checked out this compilation and, yeah, they really did a good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3MUUfTnGMo

Also: drat shame to hear he's a sex pest.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I really hope they don't go too deep into whatever the bracelet thing is being a piece of Stark-tech. I was already annoyed enough at Spider-Man not having any of his own villains for two movies. Vulture and Mysterio were just people Tony made mad at some point.

Anyway, willing to give it a chance. So far, Marvel Studios haven't made too many character errors aside from the Avengers (1 and 2) characterization of Hawkeye and the boring-rear end "Task-inator" in Black Widow. I feel like I need to see Larson's take on Carol Danvers one more time before having more of an opinion. And I'm not counting the Inhumans series at all because I never saw it and prefer to think it doesn't exist.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Infinitum posted:

I mean... I want to take it with a grain of salt, because we're literally getting a Hawkeye show with Kate Bishop + Lucky the Pizza Dog, looking like it'll follow one of the best comic runs by Matt Fraction.

This is what I've been saying, and I hope it's great, those comics were awesome

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I am very much looking forward to the TV adventures of two idiots who can shoot arrows and a good good boy

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

It's weird because he was in the weird Disney streaming service ad just recently, I wonder if his agent turned it down because it was voice over work or only a couple of lines?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Doronin posted:

I really hope they don't go too deep into whatever the bracelet thing is being a piece of Stark-tech. I was already annoyed enough at Spider-Man not having any of his own villains for two movies. Vulture and Mysterio were just people Tony made mad at some point.

Anyway, willing to give it a chance. So far, Marvel Studios haven't made too many character errors aside from the Avengers (1 and 2) characterization of Hawkeye and the boring-rear end "Task-inator" in Black Widow. I feel like I need to see Larson's take on Carol Danvers one more time before having more of an opinion. And I'm not counting the Inhumans series at all because I never saw it and prefer to think it doesn't exist.

Gisnep corp account spotted

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Party Boat posted:

I am very much looking forward to the TV adventures of two idiots who can shoot arrows and a good good boy

It'd be weird if they make Hawkeye an idiot considering that his role as an Avenger has been the adult in the room.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Firebert posted:

It's weird because he was in the weird Disney streaming service ad just recently, I wonder if his agent turned it down because it was voice over work or only a couple of lines?

That makes me think thats what happened. I have heard a number celebs complain about their agent turning poo poo down because they viewed as "beneath" the celeb while the celeb would have loved to do it, even if it wasn't a blockbuster payday.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

swickles posted:

That makes me think thats what happened. I have heard a number celebs complain about their agent turning poo poo down because they viewed as "beneath" the celeb while the celeb would have loved to do it, even if it wasn't a blockbuster payday.

I've heard about this happening even to people who are full-time voice actors, yeah

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Parkingtigers posted:

People were so excited at the reveal of Kamala's comicbook accurate look, there's just no way, NO WAY, they could get away with dropping the embiggening powers and I don't think they would even consider trying.

I'm all-in on a training wheels armband or similar. Kevin Feige knows how important this character is in terms of representation, he wouldn't let her get done dirty like this. Our dude hasn't let us down yet.

This is just the flipside of the representation deal with the devil. If your character represents a certain group they have to be beautiful, noble, and powerful rather than having gross powers like stretching and growth. They also cannot have any character flaws. You could see this in all the manufactured culture war takes over Simone Biles. Rather than just being an athlete who had a very human moment and got anxious which messed up her ability to perform, she was either a Mental Health Hero for quitting or an Evil Selfish Millennial. In the same vein, Kamala Khan will now be armed with a Stark gun, making the subtext of all this Disney garbage text as she will be a literal Muslimah Pakistani weapon of the American Military-Industrial Complex that rains death and destruction across the globe. As always, Black (or Brown) Girl Magic is a tool to be granted to select WOC when they are the right kind of Black (or Brown) for white people. They should have an episode where she destroys a food shipment going to those nasty Houthi rebels.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Um

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hmm

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

quote:

ANOTHER SCORCHER

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

This is just the flipside of the representation deal with the devil. If your character represents a certain group they have to be beautiful, noble, and powerful rather than having gross powers like stretching and growth. They also cannot have any character flaws. You could see this in all the manufactured culture war takes over Simone Biles. Rather than just being an athlete who had a very human moment and got anxious which messed up her ability to perform, she was either a Mental Health Hero for quitting or an Evil Selfish Millennial. In the same vein, Kamala Khan will now be armed with a Stark gun, making the subtext of all this Disney garbage text as she will be a literal Muslimah Pakistani weapon of the American Military-Industrial Complex that rains death and destruction across the globe. As always, Black (or Brown) Girl Magic is a tool to be granted to select WOC when they are the right kind of Black (or Brown) for white people. They should have an episode where she destroys a food shipment going to those nasty Houthi rebels.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
*sips tea*

No.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

honestly i think kamala destroying humanitarian aide would be a bad look

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yikes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They're right, tho. No MCU characters that represent a certain group have any character flaws. None at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mutata posted:

They're right, tho. No MCU characters that represent a certain group have any character flaws. None at all.

Real Raccoons have curves.