Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

Personally I do not belive that things got "better" under Trump.

It's just that in USA the escalation in negative perception of China was already there before Trump, particular during Obama's 2nd term.

Yeah, I remember that the TPP's big selling point (and how support of it was defended in 2016) was that it was necessary to reign China in. Or at least I'd mark that as when I started noticing an escalation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

i will not have you belittle the militant armed threat to the government of wisconsin which demanded removal from office of the duly elected executive and legislators, quite unlike the noble east asian storming of legislatures

lol might want to rephrase that

https://twitter.com/tlrd/status/799629536929452032

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Taiwan is coming home

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Agrajag posted:

i heard and read various versions of this since 09'

Chinese and foreign tech bozos got to big for their britches in China. Xi had enough so the CCP is bringing down the hammer on everyone.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Nonsense posted:

Hong Kong is rightfully being punished.

Punish me, President Xi

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I don't understand why Jacobin is so hostile to China when it's pretty Pro-Cuba and relatively pro-Eastern Bloc too. That being said even I think that ethnic chauvinism is getting worse in China.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the eastern bloc doesn't exist anymore and Cuba isn't a direct threat to US global hegemony

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ethnic chauvinism

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicAcne posted:

I don't understand why Jacobin is so hostile to China when it's pretty Pro-Cuba

Being pro-Cuba is a respectable opinion, that's why. Jacobin's mission is to be a respectable magazine for serious people (liberals) in the hopes that they can turn Biden voters into Bernie voters.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I have some bad news for you lol
https://twitter.com/RodericDay/status/1283467297789796354?s=19

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/07/cuba-embargo-sanctions-biden-crisis

quote:

But the embargo has had a far more insidious impact on the political culture of Cuba. The Cuban government is not unaware of the United States’ desired policy... [it] has in fact served Cuban authorities well, providing a readily available target that can be blamed for homegrown economic mismanagement and resource misallocation. The embargo provides a refuge for blamelessness and immunity from accountability...

But it is more complicated still. Not a few within the Cuban government view popular protests warily, seeing them as a function of US policy and its intended outcomes. It is no small irony, in fact, that the embargo has so often served to compromise the “authenticity” of popular protest...

...protests are depicted less as an expression of domestic discontent than as an act of US subversion, instantly discrediting the legitimacy of protest and the credibility of protesters. The embargo serves to plunge Cuban politics at all levels into a Kafkaesque netherworld...
maybe I'm splitting hairs but looks sus to me. who will hold the Cuban government accountable guys... WHO?!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the used car-salesmen left lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/27khv/status/1422526275374157826

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Zmej posted:

I have some bad news for you lol
https://twitter.com/RodericDay/status/1283467297789796354?s=19

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/07/cuba-embargo-sanctions-biden-crisis

maybe I'm splitting hairs but looks sus to me. who will hold the Cuban government accountable guys... WHO?!

shrike!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

quote:

Roderic Day @RodericDay

first world bourgeoisie with no class consciousness and bad taste

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

yeah hes p cool

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1422478254221504558
https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1422481725549129730
https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1422484523829321730

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

wagner and kadyrovites are pretty different are they not? like wagner is essentially a state organ of russia, while kadyrov's paramilitaries are more like... autonomous and very influential actors who don't always act in accordance with how moscow might like (assassinating nemtsov right in front of the kremlin for example). well i guess the kadyrovites are a good comparison to azov, but wagner seems weird to throw in there.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Lol the d&d china thread have just had anyone critical of Adrian zenz banned

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i sort of see his point. all three of those entities are pretty different, but they are all (para-)military organizations at least nominally independent of the state, even if they are closely allied.

wagner group had a few dozen guys killed by a US airstrike in Syria, and since they were technically mercenaries there wasn't much pressure on Russia to actually respond.

I think there's a trend in at least the English language international relations world to think that private militaries are becoming bigger players internationally, but I'm not sure about that. the Safari club was founded 50 years ago, these sort of outfits aren't a new development.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

thatfatkid posted:

it's genocide every time china medals in the olympics

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Everytime China makes me engage in Olympics level mental gymnastics, that's a genocide

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
comparing number of users browsing d&d to cspammed and, well,

"lol" –shrike

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
D&dishly "the genocide of d&d by CSPAM must stop!"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe posted:

i sort of see his point. all three of those entities are pretty different, but they are all (para-)military organizations at least nominally independent of the state, even if they are closely allied.

wagner group had a few dozen guys killed by a US airstrike in Syria, and since they were technically mercenaries there wasn't much pressure on Russia to actually respond.

I think there's a trend in at least the English language international relations world to think that private militaries are becoming bigger players internationally, but I'm not sure about that. the Safari club was founded 50 years ago, these sort of outfits aren't a new development.

People forget that the main appeal of using mercenaries is they're politically expendable. If a merc gets killed there's no political consequences, but that doesn't undermine the necessity and influence of state militaries. It's only something you want to use in legal grayzones.

The US and its allies have employed paramilitaries all around the world for half a century.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thatfatkid posted:

This is cultural genocide

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Applying a critical lense to a very obviously confected propaganda campaign lying about genocide : bannable.

Hilariously racist posts celebrating the fact that the inscrutable oriental don't have certain technology yet : encouraged and applauded.

quote:

In other news apparently there's still technology that might be perhaps thankfully be permanently out of CCP's reach.

The ability to create sufficiently powerful chips appears to be bottlenecked behind a machine thats only made in one country and there's exceptionally strong export controls to keep China from having it.

Hopefully the West can maintain this technological lead.

Somebody has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Aug 4, 2021

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

even for dnd this is a pretty strict political line, they dont even bother obscuring it behind their pedantry. whatever pompeo and blinken says goes.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
So much 60s "dumb yellowmen will never be able to make a nuclear weapon" vibes

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
love to virtue signalling racism on our forums by strawmanning terms like orientals and yellowmen

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Applying a critical lense to a very obviously confected propaganda campaign lying about genocide : bannable.

Hilariously racist posts celebrating the fact that the inscrutable oriental don't have certain technology yet : encouraged and applauded.

https://www.asml.com/en/careers/working-at-asml/taiwan

:nallears:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Palladium posted:

So much 60s "dumb yellowmen will never be able to make a nuclear weapon" vibes

quote:

China has virtually no lithography experience or industry. Any Chinese firm trying to develop EUV lithography would have to start from scratch. It would have to close the gap with ASML’s billions of dollars, decades of experience, and the accumulated experience and tacit knowledge of their tens of thousands of employees. And it would have to succeed where experienced, billion-dollar companies failed. There is little chance a Chinese company will make an EUV lithography machine in the foreseeable future.

lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

There are many strategically important technologies in the development pipeline that are potentially dangerous or destabilizing. They include artificial intelligence, autonomous weapons systems, hypersonic missiles, cyberweapons, surveillance tools, and the latest generation of nuclear weapons. These technologies, and many others, require state-of-the-art chips to develop and deploy. Keeping these chips away from the Chinese government, or those acting on its behalf, can pre-empt many worst-case human rights and security scenarios in the coming decades.

Without the lithography tech, China can never hope to produce all of these things that they already have.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kill All Cops posted:

The Dangerous Driving charge didn't stick once he was convicted of the act of terrorism, and 6.5 years of the 9 year sentence was attributed to the act of the guy flying the flag with the secessionist slogan on it

wow very tankieish of you to suggest that the slogan was seccessionist and not just a generic william wallace style expression of freedom

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Some Guy TT posted:

wow very tankieish of you to suggest that the slogan was seccessionist and not just a generic william wallace style expression of freedom

its amazing how fast minds can be changed when laws are put into place for punishing wrongthink, huh

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

that article has all sorts of bangers

quote:

The Chinese government cannot engage in techno-authoritarianism or arms races if it lacks advanced chips.

what's the difference between authoritarianism and techno-authoritarianism

quote:

Despite this hyperspecialization, it has a market capitalization of more than $150 billion dollars—much higher than IBM’s and only slightly lower than Tesla’s.

why do you bring up Tesla in an article that depends on the premise that capitalist markets are the most effective way to organize technological development

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe posted:

that article has all sorts of bangers

It's hard not to interpret that article as anything but pure techno-fetishism. Having a cost-effective way to produce super advanced chips is cool and all, but it's hard to imagine how they'd have any application outside of edge-case developments or how having some more advanced chips is a meaningful material advantage. Like, why does there need to be a "new generation" of nuclear weapons? How much more accurate does an MIRV bus need to be?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

authoritarianism:

techno-authoritarianism:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

sounds like a skrillex song