Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The new Kommando and Veteran Guardsman sprues read a lot more to me like updated plastic Kommandos and an updated plastic Guard troops sprue (and these are both kits folks have been wanting updates to for ages) that have been modeled with some extra customization options because sculptors like to do that and because it'd make them work well as launch sprues for a new edition of Kill Team than as bespoke Kill Team faction sprues that just also happen to work as 40k units. Which is to say, I don't take them as evidence that other factions will be getting bespoke Kill Team kits the way Warcry works. After the Kill Team launch, I think they're going into a pair of retail boxes labeled "Warhammer 40,000 Ork Kommandos" and "Warhammer 40,000 Astra Militarum Veteran Guardsmen," and in a few years, every single copy of them GW has produced will have melted into slag due to global warming as the earth becomes increasingly uninhabitable the fact that they debuted as Kill Teams and not 40k army troop units will be an historical curiosity.

Hope I'm wrong! More about the global warming thing, admittedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Crackbone posted:

The color scheme is skeletor.
Which funny enough wasn’t my intent but just ended up that way. It was my wife’s first comment upon seeing them so not sure how I missed it.

I'm still slowly working on my Skeletor necrons. Like... very very very slowly. I might have an army done by 11th edition.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Crackbone posted:

The color scheme is skeletor.
Which funny enough wasn’t my intent but just ended up that way. It was my wife’s first comment upon seeing them so not sure how I missed it.

Many times I've started down the path of a paint scheme only to realise halfway: "Oh I'm doing War Boys from Mad Max" or "My KO now look like Gordon Freeman's HEV suit, might as well keep at it!"

It amazes me how deep these colour combinations can embed themselves in your brain.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Just played Space Hulk for the first time. I 'won' in that I managed to kill all but two of his Space Marines, but I only 'won' because he only figured out how to properly play them on turn 5. Also, he did a spartan stand in a choke point with the warhammer guy and killed 9 stealers before I finally got him, the hammer/shield guy is an absolute loving demon. Absolutely wonderful game, were there ever expansions for it? I remember seeing Tarantula turret minis for the game but my box only has a bunch of marines, objectives and a genestealer brood lord.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There were a bunch of expansions but most of them have been rolled into the latest box. No idea about turrets though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Just played Space Hulk for the first time. I 'won' in that I managed to kill all but two of his Space Marines, but I only 'won' because he only figured out how to properly play them on turn 5. Also, he did a spartan stand in a choke point with the warhammer guy and killed 9 stealers before I finally got him, the hammer/shield guy is an absolute loving demon. Absolutely wonderful game, were there ever expansions for it? I remember seeing Tarantula turret minis for the game but my box only has a bunch of marines, objectives and a genestealer brood lord.

Original (1989) or the re-release from a few years back? Both had expansions:

Original had Deathwing, Genestealer, and Space Hulk Campaigns (collection of WD articles and missions.) The old Citadel Journal had a bunch of SH articles (it was pretty much a homebrew magazine) and you could port in Eldar, Guard, Chaos Terminators, and standard Marines as well. I don't recall the Tarantula ever being a weapon option (it was always a Guard weapon, so maybe in that list?)

Re-release was an update of the 2009 3rd ed box - it had some rules tweaks and one or two (?) additional missions, mostly using the new boarding torpedo piece. There were three expansions, which were updated version of classic 1st ed SH Campaigns missions: Bringer of Sorrow, Return to Kallidus, and Duty and Honor. Each centered around a specific chapter (DA, SW, Ultras, respectively) and were infuriatingly only available on iPad, thought you might be able to find them as :filez: somewhere.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Space Crusade had them. You may be thinking of that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TTerrible posted:

Woah, I had no clue SC had those. I thought it was SMs, Chaos Androids, and ED-209.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It may have been in the expansion with the four armed ED-209. I can't remember.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think it was. That was their firepower response.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

TTerrible posted:

Yep! That's Ok. Hulk is great.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
wait was the loving firestrike turret based on a Space Crusade thing?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Somewhere out there are published (like in one of the magazines) rules for using Imperial Guard because Space Marines can't be everywhere. I played it a couple times and as you can guess, it rarely ends well for them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This might be a dumb question because I've just started looking at Warcry. I'd like to base some of my Dark Elves as a small City of Sigmar force. Is there a route explicitly for that or is it just a matter of only selecting Dark Elves?

It seems like I can just slam all kinds of gyrocopters and handgunners in there, which feels extremely wrong to me.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I wrote a post moaning about age of sigmar but thought better of it. All I will say is extremely :same:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh no.

Yeah I'm not trying to begrudge the system or stir up bad feelings, I was just hoping I'd missed a "Dark elves appendix" somewhere.

Morathi's snake ladies seem cool though, and don't seem to play with Dwarfs.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
There's a new (ish) Warcry warband that's Dark Elf assassin types, isn't there?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Squibsy posted:

There's a new (ish) Warcry warband that's Dark Elf assassin types, isn't there?

Yeah they came out with Catacombs, The.....Shadowstalkers I believe. No snake ladies

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They look pretty excellent, and what I thought was their androgynous snake person is just an elf with a weird spell effect.

Looking forward to trying this, but oh well.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

This might be a dumb question because I've just started looking at Warcry. I'd like to base some of my Dark Elves as a small City of Sigmar force. Is there a route explicitly for that or is it just a matter of only selecting Dark Elves?

It seems like I can just slam all kinds of gyrocopters and handgunners in there, which feels extremely wrong to me.

This is explicitly one of the titular Cities of Sigmar!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

yeah the cobra commander mask elf is just a weird effect

its the underworlds warband that comes with a snake lady

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I found out about Anvilgard! Am I missing something that makes it Dark Elf exclusive? It seems like I could just run anything in any city as kind of a weird WHFB stew.

The Daughters of Khaine get snakes and totally not harpies, which seems like its pre-themed for the direction I'm going.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 3, 2021

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The different flavour of cities let you ally with other armies (One double-downs(?) on Stormcasts, one with Daughters of Khaine, one with the steampunk Dwarves, etc) and give you options to get bonuses for taking certain units, as far as I understand. I don't think anything is stopping you taking, say, Dispossessed/old Dwarves alongside whoever you ally with, but I guess they're taking up space that could be used by snake-ladies or Sigmarines or tree-people.

Just take the old Dark Elves figures alongside the new snake-elves figures. There are rules and options to give you bonuses for playing a certain way and taking certain units. You can theme it however you like, I don't know if it'll be competitive.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Anvilgard's got a thematic focus on classic Dark Elf units, and a mechanical focus on their Monster units.

There's Har Kuron that's a variant city that limits you to only the Dark Elf units, with the kicker that you can add in Daughters of Khaine units in without worrying about the ally rules.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok THAT sounds like what I was missing, thanks!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Anvilgard's got a thematic focus on classic Dark Elf units, and a mechanical focus on their Monster units.

There's Har Kuron that's a variant city that limits you to only the Dark Elf units, with the kicker that you can add in Daughters of Khaine units in without worrying about the ally rules.
Yeah, in lore, Anvilguard was conquered by Morathi and transformed into Har Kuron and now they can only use units with the keywords DARKLING COVENS, ORDER SERPENTIS, SCOURGE PRIVATEERS, and SHADOWBLADES; along with the 1 in 4 of Daughters of Khaine units instead of Stormcasts. Anvilguard rules are still legal as there's still a big resistance movement.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It doesn't look like that's made it into Warcry yet, so I'm just going to go with Daughters and hope for an update.

Or the cool shadowy one.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

moths posted:

It doesn't look like that's made it into Warcry yet, so I'm just going to go with Daughters and hope for an update.

Or the cool shadowy one.

Har Kuron was added in one of the very last books of AOS 2e, and 3e just came out. I'm not surprised it's not reflected in Warcry.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Alright, I got a game in with my crazy Biel-Tan Minigeddon list. Leperfish, I took your advice and added heavy weapons to 1 unit of guardians. Lists were built blind.

Armies:

Eldar - Biel-Tan:

-150pts - Guardians, 1 farseer and 7 guardians
-150pts - Guardians, 1 farseer and 7 guardians
-150pts - Guardians, 1 farseer, 4 guardians, and 3 Heavy Weapons
-350pts - 1 Revenant Titan (BTS)
-150pts - Warwalkers, 4 war walkers
-50pts Webway Portal

Ork - War horde:

-250pts - Warband, 2 Nobz, 8 Boyz, and 4 Grotz
-250pts - Warband, 2 Nobz, 8 Boyz, and 4 Grotz
-175pts - MekBoy Gunmob, 5 Big Gunz, one with Oddboy (Soopagun)
-175pts - MekBoy Gunmob, 5 Big Gunz, one with Oddboy (Soopagun)
-150pts - Stormboyz Warhorde, 6 Stormboyz

I handidly beat the ork player, winning via objectives turn 3. However, this isn't an accurate portrayal as we realized post game I used the webway portal twice in one turn. I've never used the webway before, and only just started playing Biel-Tan, feels bad. We plan to play again soon, though I might wait a game or two before I use the list again. Overall I enjoyed the list, turn one felt dicey though, the Rev can easily be broken from BMs alone. The guardians with support weapons were very handy, though I did move them illegally out of the webway at the very end of turn 2. Had I moved them at the start of turn 3 the effect would have been essentially the same. Dumb me.

The guardians did get pretty shot up, but two of them won assualts eliminating units. Plus turn 3 had a brutal clipping assualt featuring the Rev + 1 complete guardian unit and one unit of 3 stands of guards elminating a mostly entact warband via FF.

MVP unit was War Walkers - they held up a warband for two turns, saved a total of 5 hits before being destroyed, including a MW hit, broke a gunmob with fire, and killed more than a half dozen stands of infantry, most in 2 seperate assualts.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Honestly in that list the Rev felt like dead weight. It did break a gunmob at a crucial moment, and was great in the clipping assualt, but overall it shot very poorly. I beleive it killed 2 grotz and 2 big guns all game. The FF in assualt was good though. I guess the War Walkers were hogging all the good rolls.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Good to hear the list worked out! Definitely need to play a couple or three times to see how swingy dice can be. A few notes:

• Only units with Reinforced Armour or Invulnerable Save get armour saves vs. macro weapons. (MW also ignore cover saves, although the -1 to hit for cover still applies.) Allocate normal hits to a formation first, and then MW hits.
  • Support Weapons are not the same as Heavy Weapons, make sure you're looking at the right statblocks for those.
  • You may have missed this, but units hit by Lance weapons don't get Reinforced Armour rerolls, which makes those Revenant titan weapons a bit more killy even against heavy armour/space marines/etc. If your opponent didn't bring much armour that may have made the titan seem less useful. In a full-scale E:A game, there's usually plenty of tanks and war engines to target.

The game expects you to play with lots of terrain, including Dangerous and Impassible Terrain, cover, buildings, hills, etc. If you found your titan easily getting shot by everything all the time, you may not have enough blocking terrain on the board.

One of the key things about orks is that although they get a lot of cheap troops, they're really bad at activating and tend to fail activation rolls. Eldar are good at activation and retaining the initiative, and they tend to be highly mobile as well (guardians notwithstanding). I tend to play eldar vs. orks by kiting around as fast as possible, especially with hover tanks and jetbikes, using terrain as best I can to avoid getting shot at, and retaining the initiative to set up crossfires and positioning formations to be brought into multi-formation assaults.

Anyway I'm glad you had fun and definitely give it another go!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

War Walkers get a 6+ reinforced save, which until tonight I thought was a joke.

I used the free heavy weapon upgrade, the scatter laser.

Rev doesn't have lances. I'm playing Net:EA, might be a difference here. (checked: nope, but their MW do the same thing)

We had lots of terrain, I played tight to it with the Rev, that saved me from taking too many BMs. Also yeah the orks failed like 4 activations to my one. In minigeddon you generally can't retain the initiative, most play that way, but I have seen some places that allow it. This obviously seriously impacts Eldar. My opponenet usally plays lots of ork armor, but I had mentioned I was playing eldar, I feel like he took all infantry as a response to my usual falcon heavy list.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 4, 2021

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Yeah they came out with Catacombs, The.....Shadowstalkers I believe. No snake ladies

:wrong:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warcry-Khainite-Shadowstalkers-2020

They very much have a snake lady.

moths posted:

I'm thinking DEs will get an update at some point in the future, being as they haven't really explored Malekith. They may also roll them into the DoK, since they are doing a similar thing with Orruks as well as bringing Plague Monks back into Skaven.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is explicitly one of the titular Cities of Sigmar!

I'm the titular city

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

That's not a snake lady. shes got some shadow effect coming from the staff and snaking around the miniature.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

They may have been ONCE AN ELF but that model still has legs.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

I have that model in front of me, it's not a snake lady. It's part of her cloak/magic effect wrapping around her.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'll be goddamned. It appears I am the :wrong: one.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's definitely evocative of the snake silhouette , that's got to be on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/SiYNlIU.mp4

(you gotta hit play, imgur embeds are funky still)