Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 21, 1946)

It's very lucky that Val and the gang got captured by such whimsical merry men. Perhaps they will all make it out alive (the outlaws, that is).

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

Consider the implications of having to give Godzilla a free lunch.

I think it's been canonical for several decades that Godzilla doesn't eat people.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This poo poo keeps bugging me more and more day by day. Not only isn't "lol america" -> "gets hit" not a very fun joke the 67th time, it's so loving STUPID.

When America sent soldiers to Europe for World War I, nobody dismissed it, certainly not the Germans or the other Central Powers. Everyone understood that one side suddenly getting access to millions of fresh, well-fed troops and their supplies was a HUGE loving thing because World War I was a war of attrition that could only be won by grinding the other side to paste.

Everyone understood there was now a firm deadline on the end of the war, which kind of forced the Germans to try last minute gambles (see: Kaiserschlacht, die) to force the issue before the Yanks got over and basically ended the war through sheer force of numbers.

And that's largely the main thing they had to offer to the allies. The American army of 1917-1918 wasn't technologically or tactically superior to the European powers. They "just" had millions of well-fed, strong and fresh men ready to fight in a time when their opponents were basically fielding boys and walking corpses.

E: not "everyone else", "their opponents"

this is something you see quite often in American propaganda and culture at large during 1917-1918; those Europeans think us Americans don't know how to fight, its our first time, etc. There was a element of truth to this; prior to WW1, American troops had been involved in colonialist low level conflicts and some minor skirmishes, but not full scale war*.

Also, the US Army prior to WWI wasn't as 'professional' as we think of armed forces today; the Army was seen as something you joined if you had done time in prison or a sanitarium, or if you had failed at everything else.

Before the American Expeditionary Force was sent to France, British and French commanders wanted Americans to be assigned to their units as replacements, rather then be their own fighting force. John Perishing resisted this strongly, and also insisted that American troops be well trained before being sent to France, as opposed to simply "here's your rifle, now go get the huns".

*the Civil War notwithstanding

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The little edits are the best ones sometimes.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This poo poo keeps bugging me more and more day by day. Not only isn't "lol america" -> "gets hit" not a very fun joke the 67th time, it's so loving STUPID.

When America sent soldiers to Europe for World War I, nobody dismissed it, certainly not the Germans or the other Central Powers. Everyone understood that one side suddenly getting access to millions of fresh, well-fed troops and their supplies was a HUGE loving thing because World War I was a war of attrition that could only be won by grinding the other side to paste.

Everyone understood there was now a firm deadline on the end of the war, which kind of forced the Germans to try last minute gambles (see: Kaiserschlacht, die) to force the issue before the Yanks got over and basically ended the war through sheer force of numbers.

And that's largely the main thing they had to offer to the allies. The American army of 1917-1918 wasn't technologically or tactically superior to the European powers. They "just" had millions of well-fed, strong and fresh men ready to fight in a time when their opponents were basically fielding boys and walking corpses.

E: not "everyone else", "their opponents"

The American public, at the time and as a whole, was not aware of what we all now know. Three years of war showed the Germans/Prussians to be a formidable opponent, and the war showed no signs of a resolution. It was hoped that all of those doughboys would turn the tide; but, at the time, no one knew. The attitude that it'll all fold/roll up once our boys are there was also widespread, which is why you see the Everett True response to, "the war will be over soon. Why should I donate more money?"

There was substantial pressure to keep resources and money flowing to the war effort, and, until the Armistice, that pressure was maintained.

Same thing with WWII. I had a long conversation with my mother about this, many years ago; she was six when the US entered WWII in late 1941. She remembers many frightening things: the scrap drives, the blackouts, the dehumanizing propaganda; but most of all, the existential dread that the Nazis would invade the East Coast, and the Japanese the West. The newspaper printed only what the War Department permitted, and the first year or so of US involvement was not going well. U-boats owned the US Atlantic and Gulf Coast at the 3-mile limit, sinking US shipping from New York to Galveston with impunity, within sight of the coast, and leaving the beaches strewn with debris and occasionally, corpses. Sea coal (bunker fuel chunks) still can be found on east coast beaches to this day.

As one coming to WWII as a period of history, with everything known, and thus the conclusion never in doubt, it drove home the reality that, at the time, to those living through it, these things remained unclear and unknowable. I no longer dismissed the weird layout of neighborhoods in Bellmawr and Brooklawn NJ and other small towns, where dense anti-aircraft batteries were situated to defend the Philadelphia Navy Yard, and the petroleum processors on both sides of the Delaware River.

I went through a similar dread as a child of the Cold War, especially when my family lived in Switzerland, directly under the path of ICBM exchange during a European phase of the war going hot. Even then, it was nothing like WWI or WWII.

We can debate the economic winners and losers, and the rightness of the thing; but, at the time, the general public was very, very aware.

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange
Bonus Ad! Take that weight off with Ayds!

Ayds was a candy containing an oral anesthetic that killed your sense of taste and presumably made you less likely to overeat. Doesn't sound like much fun, but better that than amphetamines.

I ate them as a kid. Didn't do dick.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 3, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The masterful shot (1935/04)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Welcome back to the MiniSec Museum!

2010 (September 6-10)

I'm not saying that I condone this sort of thing, but if they're going to do this kind of crime, they really should have done their homework -- these are all solved problems. And that includes their debate from the other day about what they hope to actually accomplish. Real-life tree spikers and construction equipment wreckers want to force the builder to spend LOTS more money, for repairs, upgraded security, schedule delays, logistical nightmares, etc. Since money is the last word with these companies, if sabotage can make the whole thing expensive enough that it moves to the wrong side of the balance sheet, then maybe the board and shareholders will ask why they're even doing it. This kind of outright win for the saboteurs is very rare, of course. And even if the company DOES decide to leave, they aren't just going to stomp on their hat and go away like the villain at the end of an 80s movie, they'll just move the project somewhere else. Which makes it something of a Pyrrhic victory for the greenies.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

It's adorable until she mentions that Greg is 35.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "167 - Jucika Congratulates"

An inside joke! "Published on Ludas Matyi, on the week of May 16th-22nd, 1960. (She congratulates the 15th anniversary of Ludas Matyi) Last panel translation: Deadline!"

"168 - Jucika Tries On A Swimsuit"

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I recently loaned my Moomin book to a friend, and we had an interesting conversation about the effect of WWII on European media in the decades after. The general air of melancholy is palpable in the Moomins especially (also in the Finns in general regardless of war), but so is the joy in freedom. Finland had only narrowly avoided being conquered/annexed by two different kinds of totalitarianism on two different fronts, and I take the view that, for example, Moominpapa’s wanton excess and Moominmama’s anxiety are two sides of the coin that is the trauma of war. Not to mention the mines that float to the beach a couple times, or the existential dread of the Cold War (and also being Finnish).

Classic Zits

Sylvia

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (October 28, 1995)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

His Divine Shadow posted:

The argument is from what I can see, not controversial at all, i.e. a lot of bacteria are not harmful and of those that are, the body can handle it and even needs to fight them off. Being too clean, especially as a kid, actually damages your immune system and leads to an increase of things like asthma and allergies because it doesn't get to work out against minor amounts of harmful bacteria and learn what's good and bad for the body.

This comic is perhaps the most non-controversial min-sec I've seen. But perhaps american culture has different notions.
The problem is she's mixing good arguments(including 'maybe it's a bad idea to have antibiotics/antimicrobials in OTC consumer products*') with handwaving away counterarguments that there are very good reasons to maintain at least some level of hygeine to avoid disease spread. This is a bit of a running theme with her - she'll have a good argument but undermine it by surrounding it with 'there would be no problems at all if we just lived like nature intended' nonsense.

*Although my concerns include bacterial resistance, which Steph doesn't mention. And I feel obligated to mention that bacteria don't develop resistance to good ol' ethanol based hand sanitzer or regular soap. There's little to no reason for your average person to need specifically antibacterial soap.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (October 28, 1995)

Sari owns.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
A day late and a sandwich short...

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

I give up, I can't for the life of me figure out what the pun is in this one. I know there has to be one, it's Rae the Doe and there's a convoluted setup, but I can't figure it out.

e: :ms:

In case it's not clear from the tweet, I think the pun is "letter e"/"lottery."

F Minus

This was my strategy when I worked at Chuck E Cheese.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

drat, Drew. That's cold.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

I've got more respect for people who pick it up than those that don't.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Haifisch posted:

The problem is she's mixing good arguments(including 'maybe it's a bad idea to have antibiotics/antimicrobials in OTC consumer products*') with handwaving away counterarguments that there are very good reasons to maintain at least some level of hygeine to avoid disease spread. This is a bit of a running theme with her - she'll have a good argument but undermine it by surrounding it with 'there would be no problems at all if we just lived like nature intended' nonsense.

*Although my concerns include bacterial resistance, which Steph doesn't mention. And I feel obligated to mention that bacteria don't develop resistance to good ol' ethanol based hand sanitzer or regular soap. There's little to no reason for your average person to need specifically antibacterial soap.

Yeah, this is a place where the truth is definitely in the middle - some bacteria are good for you! but some bacteria are really really bad for you!!! - but she's making such a weak "extreme" argument for the other side that it comes across as rebutting her own extremist views back to that reasonable center. Ironically, this is a place where being more cartoony in defining her opposition would actually help her argument. If Bannabelle was, to use the politoons phrase, Dumb And So Goddamned Crazy, like being totally extreme about sanitizing everything and refusing to accept that anything natural was allowable, it'd make Kranti look more reasonable and obscure the idea that there was a more reasonable position for someone to have.

Really, though, I'm more annoyed with MinSec 2010, which is ostensibly doing something interesting (even if wrong-headed and stupid and horrifying) but doing it with a the pace of Rex Morgan MD.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 3, 2021

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They just lost things down the back of the sofa.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Haifisch posted:

I give up, I can't for the life of me figure out what the pun is in this one. I know there has to be one, it's Rae the Doe and there's a convoluted setup, but I can't figure it out.

e: :ms:

Johnny Walker posted:

In case it's not clear from the tweet, I think the pun is "letter e"/"lottery."

"Where is the lottery?" That doesn't make a whole lot of sense either.

All I've got to add is that the dialog in the first two panels is also devoid of the letter E, which is probably the reasoning for the strange, roundabout way everything is worded.

I don't know, maybe this is just this strip's Cow Tools.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the letter "e" is missing

I really don't know why everyone is pbfing this and assuming some deeper meaning

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
The joke is that it's easy to lose things behind the couch

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

in real life it would be extremely rare for one to possess a physical depiction of the letter E upon their person, and misplacing said E would have little to no effect on one's speech

this creates amusing incongruities

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I really don't know why everyone is pbfing this and assuming some deeper meaning

It's the pattern of the joke setup. The remote, the glasses, and the letter e are all unnamed/alternately named in the setup, which makes people think that seeing the 'correct' name will somehow make the joke spottable or something.

It's like when a joke mentions a surgeon and a fruit because the punchline is going to be about an apple a day keeping the doctor away.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 3, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Bloop posted:

somepartsareme posted:

The joke is that it's easy to lose things behind the couch

But in Rae the Doe (excuse me, in Ra th Do), this sort of verbosely-convoluted setup always leads to a bad pun. So we're all trying to find that pun.

My brain is still turning over variations of "remote-glasses-E under couch", trying to find the visual wordplay that it assumes must be there in the last panel.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
We are all puppets and Olive is cackling madly as we dance.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Powered Descent posted:

All I've got to add is that the dialog in the first two panels is also devoid of the letter E, which is probably the reasoning for the strange, roundabout way everything is worded.

I really only thought of the lottery thing when I read the tweet where olive said "Sh lost th lttr !" and that made me think of "She lost the lottery." It relies on your audience making huge leaps but I could see that being what she intended. I could also be wrong and it's just she lost the letter E and now all Es have disappeared and that's it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

unny nline nimals

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

guess which country routinely failing to meet its climate change commitments now has a forestry industry that is vastly inferior at sequestering carbon.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Johnny Walker posted:

I really only thought of the lottery thing when I read the tweet where olive said "Sh lost th lttr !" and that made me think of "She lost the lottery." It relies on your audience making huge leaps but I could see that being what she intended. I could also be wrong and it's just she lost the letter E and now all Es have disappeared and that's it.

It clicked immediately for me, but I had this book as a kid too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efcX-Ekgw8I

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

I didn't think the first two panels were that strangely worded and also didn't notice that the earlier dialog was also missing the letter E until you mentioned it, which is why I didn't get the joke at all until you explained it. This particular comic really messed with the usual Rae format, which is a convoluted set-up for a pun that's only explained at the end, but there's no pun here. It's a similar joke to this classic Simpsons bit but the delivery is ruined because the expectations aren't properly set-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaBimviDpuE&t=38s

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't like waste.

Working Daze should just take the complement.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix could have at least offered him a lift.

Cul De Sac might be an evil twin.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix could have at least offered him a lift.

I feel like I've seen this as a Far Side but with a UFO full of palm trees instead of a ship.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

For a sense of perspective, I'd consider something like this to be comically and obviously hamstrung dialog-

"Oooh that singing show is about to start. But I think a tool for us is not around."

"Is it that tiny box that can grab the fun signals?"

"I could find it if I had my bifocals. Alas! I do not spy my bifocals."

The problem is Brinker doesn't fully commit to the joke, and even cheats a little by counting a silent "e" as not being a real one. It's not a great joke to begin with but verges straight into cow tools territory thanks to the bad setup and departure from the comic's usual structure.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

what does this store sell anyway? Between the shoes and electronics I always pictured it as like a target, which does have food

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what does this store sell anyway? Between the shoes and electronics I always pictured it as like a target, which does have food

I've always pictured it as like a Kohl's equivalent

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I thought it was a generic big box department store in a mall.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Don't most big box stores at least sell food in the form of candy and soda at the check-out line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I guess Sears as it existed before Eddie lambert is the analogue?? I don’t remember Sears ever having food or snacks