Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I got in trouble on Facebook for making fun of a jeep post about the 12 rules of jeep etiquette. I said they needed an edit because God only gave us 10 commandments for our entire life so nobody had time for all that bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

Handing you a card is pretty lol considering the first rules everyone learns is to signal how many vehicles are in a convoy and downhill traffic is supposed to yield.

gently caress 'em, they're just mad at you for existing.
I have a 4Runner so they probably view me as a lower order life form.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I got in trouble on Facebook for making fun of a jeep post about the 12 rules of jeep etiquette. I said they needed an edit because God only gave us 10 commandments for our entire life so nobody had time for all that bullshit.
Lmao

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

As a Jeep owner, I hate Jeep owners.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tuna posted:

Agreed. I love off-roading, and some parts of the broad community are great, but there's a reason I wheel with a very small number of people in general.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Generally the older the Jeep and the less poo poo bolted onto it, the better the driver.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tuna posted:

Same. There's a reason that the only time I wheel with somewhat random people it's from pretty much one local club only, where the concept of "tread lightly" is well understood and acted upon.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

FogHelmut posted:

Generally the older the Jeep and the less poo poo bolted onto it, the better the driver.

This is also why when jeep shopping you want to look for the one with the least poo poo bolted on. Every "upgraded" jeep I've looked at has some sketchy poo poo going on in the engine and suspension.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
The Forester will be getting some changes next week

New Flatout Suspension GR Lite suspension with General Grabbers and smaller 15" Methods. Can't wait to hit the trails soon!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its finally here. Picked it up yesterday with 4km on it.
I tried to get a pic with 69 km on the odometer, but I literally stopped about 6 inches too long and it turned over to 70.
I'll have to pay more attention to when it hits 420 km, and then 6969km.
I ended up going with the factory TRD lift kit because I like the idea of a warranty on something like that. It adds 2 inches in the front and an inch in the rear.
To be honest, this is likely more than I'll ever need, but whats done is done. Did I mention that its slightly awkward for me to get in now? I'm not short (5' 9"ish) but its taller than the two first generation Tundras that we have at work now and I need to get used to getting in to this thing. Some step bars will help with that.

Currently putting together some supplies for carrying around in this thing for emergency use.
Thus far I have various tire repair implements, some gloves of varying types (leather, cotton, and nitrile), hand sanitizer and wipes. A small knife, blue shop paper towels and some other random poo poo.

Still need: First aid kit, jumper cables, tire inflator of some sort and....................... ?

Suggestions?

This is going to be stuff that I keep in there all the time, and will be separate from any off road recovery gear that I pick up later (straps, shackles etc...).
I'm not looking to go crazy with the offroading stuff, I just want something to get me to places that are off the beaten path for fishing, hunting, camping etc. So like logging roads and maybe some bush trails.

Today I'm going to poke around underneath and see about building the step bars I mentioned a minute ago.

Bling Bling motherfuckers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Viair compressors are cheap and well made. I have a Viair 77P that I regularly use for airing up while offroading. It is reliable and works well.

For recovery stuff, a lot of 4x4-marketed gear seems super sketchy. Like snatch blocks held together with circlips, wtf. I've been looking at arborist, firefighter, and overhead lifting gear instead. I'm sure using arborist equipment for vehicle recovery is abuse/misuse, but their stuff is so much better made than cheap Amazon 4x4 crap. The Amazon prices are tempting, though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ryanrs posted:

Viair compressors are cheap and well made. I have a Viair 77P that I regularly use for airing up while offroading. It is reliable and works well.

For recovery stuff, a lot of 4x4-marketed gear seems super sketchy. Like snatch blocks held together with circlips, wtf. I've been looking at arborist, firefighter, and overhead lifting gear instead. I'm sure using arborist equipment for vehicle recovery is abuse/misuse, but their stuff is so much better made than cheap Amazon 4x4 crap. The Amazon prices are tempting, though.

Amazon didn't even cross my mind for that sort of thing actually.
My company has accounts at Fastenal, Brafasco and a few other industrial supply places so I should be able to pick up certain gourmet poo poo (straps, shackles etc) and pay my boss back. Other stuff I'd probably look at legit offroad places.
There is a National 4wd shop not too far from here. I'd guess they probably sell decent quality stuff, though don't know about prices.

This Viair compressor, does it run off the cigarette lighter in your van or is it battery powered? I just picked up a Milwaukee m12 inflator and don't mind keeping it in the truck somewhere, but its battery powered (came with 4ah battery). I wonder how effective it would be at airing up all four tires if need be. Like if all four were flat, or near flat for some (hypothetical) reason. I guess I could just keep the charger with me too its got a 400w power outlet in the bed.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 25, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

It uses the cig lighter. Beware of the bigger Viair compressors, they are designed for high pressure (RV tires, etc) and longer duty cycles, but not necessary that much better at airing up car/pickup tires to 35 psi.

My view on battery inflators is this: if you use it just for emergencies, then the battery will probably be dead when you need it. But if you are using it for offroading and airing up all 4 tires (sometimes several times in a day), then the battery won't last long enough. So they don't make a lot of sense to me.

I, too, buy Crosby shackles and other stuff from actual rigging stores, not 4x4 places.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Viair makes models that run the whole range, the one I eventually hardwired in my Jeep (88p) was set up for battery clips from the factory. The smaller one I stash in my trailer is set up for a lighter socket but it would take that thing forever to get 33x12.5R15 tires from 15psi to 30.

Part of me wonders if you could rig up a cable to power the inflator from the car battery, but at that point the safer bet is just buying a Viair. Unless you're already bringing M12 batteries with you for something else and you're making sure they're charged before you go, I wouldn't want to trust an inflator that needs its own power source instead of the 12V system my Jeep already has.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The Viair compressor is quite a bit cheaper than a M12 6Ah battery. Even if you already own a battery, relegating it to permanent storage in the emergency kit doesn't make much $$$ sense.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Mt Ellen Peak in the background in SE Utah.

My god the road was rocky, so so rocky

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

My company has accounts at Fastenal, Brafasco and a few other industrial supply places so I should be able to pick up certain gourmet poo poo (straps, shackles etc) and pay my boss back.

Most B2B places are happy to do ‘on this account, but I’m paying now’. A lot of them don’t care to check your references either because you’re not actually billing anything to the company in question. I know people who walk in to places and say they’re with X company (that they have no affiliation with but that likely has an account) and that usually works.

I used to buy stuff using my company’s accounts all the time when I was an expeditor. I learned that trick from my boss so I know he didn’t care.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Advent Horizon posted:

Most B2B places are happy to do ‘on this account, but I’m paying now’. A lot of them don’t care to check your references either because you’re not actually billing anything to the company in question. I know people who walk in to places and say they’re with X company (that they have no affiliation with but that likely has an account) and that usually works.

I used to buy stuff using my company’s accounts all the time when I was an expeditor. I learned that trick from my boss so I know he didn’t care.
I've done that before but fastenal Canada has stopped taking any nonaccount sales. Last time I tried a t I got denied and that was with a guy I knew. Or knew through going there. My boss is pretty chill about me charging on company account and paying him back the next day or two anyway when I need it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Atticus_1354 posted:

This is also why when jeep shopping you want to look for the one with the least poo poo bolted on. Every "upgraded" jeep I've looked at has some sketchy poo poo going on in the engine and suspension.

Oh yeah, I find that's almost always the case. If it's bone stock or has a few simple factory upgrades [tire carrier, problem fixer drivetrain components, etc] they tend to be in good shape.

I saw in an earlier post about some off road clubs and yeah I got some stories there.

Like one national club in Moab that hired a local tour operator every year for flavor. Not really needed but it was nice to have a local show people around even though.. you go to moab enough times you don't really need it every year.
Turns out the local legend [Dan Mick?] is a sex pest and grabbed a women, and it turns out he had a history of issues according to a few online reviews. The club melted down during that big moab trip, the chud half of the group was like "Oh man he didn't mean it, it's just a joke" and dismissed the whole thing and the other half split off from the group in rage over it, especially when the club didn't immediately fire the tour guide on the first day, the organizer for the event [who did like 10+ years of events prior] quickly disappeared once he realized the shitstorm that happened and left a few other club members hanging to pick up the pieces.

What a poo poo show.

Another time I showed up to a trail .. cleghorn or something and some big club was there, we had a hummer, a pickup and a jeep with a few friends. We were lined up behind the club group trying to do an obstacle and I said lets hit the 2 bypasses, so we can get in front of the group and blow through the trail otherwise we'll be stuck behind these guys all day.

Anyways we got flagged down by the group because my Hummer was too big for the trail according to their rules and my friend had a whip antenna on his jeep which the club didn't allow. I was like.. dude we're not part of your club whoever you are.. and kept on trucking... yeesh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spending half an hour on a bench near the street in Ouray is a lot more fun than I would have predicted. The parade of modded Wranglers is endless and interesting.

Never been any place that was so completely off-road oriented.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

What a "good capacity" for recovery poo poo?
I realize thats probably a dumb question since you experienced guys will naturally ask things like what, where, how, when and so on.

What: '21 Tacoma, probably somewhere in the 4-5000 pound range I'd guess.

Where: Probably some mud puddles that were deeper/softer bottomed than anticipated

How: because I'm dumb and didn't keep momentum up/ pick the right line etc...

When: Most likely summer and fall. Maybe some spring, will try probably try and stay away if there has been a week of solid rain.

With what: Probably some sort of hand winch/come along. I know someone recommended against it but I'm still leaning toward the one that minivan goon uses in the 3 ton range. But an electric winch in the 8000 pound capacity range in the future. So having stuff with enough capacity to double up (16,000 lbs) the line if/when I get this winch would be good, so I don't have to buy new poo poo.

Most of the stuff I see online has the breaking strength in big bold numbers, but then I find out the working load limit is less than what my theoretical future winch would pull if the line were doubled up. I don't want to just be that guy thats all like "well the breaking strength is more than X so gently caress the working load limit".

Same with the shackles, I've seen 3/4" pin shackles with a WLL of 10,000 lbs and on some of them they advertise a 5:1 safety factor.

While I';m at it, what are some recommended lengths for straps? I figure if its too short, I'm hosed, whereas too long I can just wrap it around a tree until its short enough. Good idea? Bad?

Please help me make good decisions here.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

The Warn rule of thumb is 1.5x GVWR, but take a look over at https://www.skidmore-winch.com/wp-content/uploads/Winching-Techniques-for-Vehicle-Recovery.pdf for a little more detail, with adjustments for grade, number of damaged wheels, and terrain types.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I use 5/16 amsteel for my main ropes on the minivan. But never do a kinetic recovery with amsteel, and don't tie knots in it (I have several different lengths with spliced eyes). Then some wide straps for putting on trees, etc.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I use a $35 ebay strap to pull race trucks and massively overweight pieces of poo poo up hills and it's worked out great!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Also, be very careful about your vehicle anchor point when double lining. Sure, you have those fancy shackle holes in your bumper, and if you bought it from a decent company /fabshop it might even be tested to take 12,000 lbs from a single line winch pull. However, is the bumper's attachment to your vehicle REALLY going to take an additional 12,000lbs on that shackle mount??? Granted getting a vehicle stuck enough to actually achieve a full rated load pull in that scenario would require some serious talent.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

For a taco, I'd go with a 9-10k lb winch (steel or synth rope, your call, both have pros and cons and both will do fine), a few 20' or so looped end tow straps, a shorter tree saver strap, a gang of shackles, and if you have the extra beans to spend, the kinetic ropes seem pretty cool. If you are going places without trees or rocks to winch off of, you may need to think about a winch anchor. I've never had to deal with that, so I have no experience to offer.

I would encourage looking at the winch specs - I was surprised at the differences in some cases. I have a little samurai project and found a 5k lb SxS winch (milemarker brand) had better line speed and amp draw that some of the more expensive options, either in the SxS or full size vehicle categories. Warn has a solid reputation and I run a 9k on my solid axle trooper rig with no issues. I've heard good things about smittybilt's line as well.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Krakkles posted:

massively overweight pieces of poo poo

Please stop calling me this

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

a bunch of goons posted:

:words:

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to be certain about the straps and getting approval from a bunch of internet weirdos hearing from experienced people helps in that regard. Most places I'd be planning to go have trees in abundance, but I suppose having trees in the right place, so that I can pull straight or relatively straight might be a different story. I suppose that means another strap and a snatch block (?) should be on my list.

The Kinetic straps are more for if you've got a vehicle to yank on it correct? Like you hook it to stuck, then to unstuck, and unstuck takes a run in the opposite direction?

I do have some off roading experience, but its with stuff on tracks so, not exactly the same, but I'd guess a lot of the recovery techniques can cross over. I've yanked my poo poo up muddy, slippery, icy slopes with the onboard winch, jacked it up to cram as much poo poo under the tracks as I can find to get un-buried. Thankfully my jacks are permanently mounted and not half a mile away in my truck or something, and I'm pretty good at (successfully) picking the line thats least likely to get me stuck. Usually if I can walk over it without sinking more than an inch or so in to the mud, I can run my machine across it. I guess picking a line will be different with tires since there is more ground pressure.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Would a VIAIR 85P be able to handle occasional airing up of 33" tires from 15 psi to 30+? The specs list its duty cycle as "20 mins," which I'm guessing is 100% for 20 mins? I currently have smaller than 33" tires anyway so I guess I could just go air down one tire to 15 psi, air it back up, and see how long it takes, but I'm out of town and accidentally left it at home.

If not, I'm curious if there's a sweet spot between a $58 85P and a $300+ ARB fancy compressor.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Would a VIAIR 85P be able to handle occasional airing up of 33" tires from 15 psi to 30+? The specs list its duty cycle as "20 mins," which I'm guessing is 100% for 20 mins? I currently have smaller than 33" tires anyway so I guess I could just go air down one tire to 15 psi, air it back up, and see how long it takes, but I'm out of town and accidentally left it at home.

If not, I'm curious if there's a sweet spot between a $58 85P and a $300+ ARB fancy compressor.

Viair make models from $50 to $toomuch so you can just pick a price you're comfortable with and go from there. There are also worse brands with better output specs that are cheaper if you just want something for really infrequent use. They all die eventually, although that might just be because I'm now learning pumps have a duty cycle :D

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I have an AWD Honda Element and I want to do more hunting and backcountry camping with it in BC. It's basically ok on the FSRs but I do get a little concerned about rocks even on the main FSRs. I'd like to be able to go up more of the spurs, but still all on FSR (no off road or rock climbing). Some of the roads I've gone up in my hunting partners pickup seem a bit steep for the Element too.

I'm considering selling and getting a 2nd gen Vitara to be more capable. I live in a condo so I want to stick to one car to do everything. I like the size of the Element in the city.

1. Is this going to accomplish what I want and
2. Is there another way to modify the Element to do what I want?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

https://www.viaircorp.com/tech/compressor-comparisons

"20 mins @ 30 psi" and their duty cycles are tested at a 72 degree ambient temperature.

Based on the specs on the Amazon page, it might take 3-4 minutes per tire for a 33"

85p seems to be the largest one you can plug into the 12v outlet. 88p is $8 more on Amazon and plugs into the battery terminals. It seems to be slight better all around.

They actually recommend the $170 300p, which has a "continuous duty cycle at 30 psi."

I have the 88p and 31" tires. I've never aired down though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

88p and 33x12.5R15 tires, so pretty much the worst case scenario for airing up 33s. It works but it is noticeably slower on the fourth tire than the first and it is scorching hot by then. Half the reason I hard mounted it under the hood is so I don't need to worry about putting it away hot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 85p kept a tire inflated to the shop when I was bouncing around FS roads in Colorado last week, was losing 1-2 psi every five minutes and it took us an hour to get to paved roads and another thirty to get to repairs.

(rough road knocked loose a screw we'd picked up eons ago, the remnant the shop found was rusted as gently caress)

It was hot by the end of it but still working. Emergency pump did its job perfectly.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The 400p auto is worth it just because it turns itself off when you're not actually pumping air, as you might expect a pump that has a not-100% duty cycle to do. Looks like prices have gone up though.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I have an onboard air setup with a viair 380 and it has been great for me. It has 100 percent duty cycle, and I mounted it on such a way that the mechanical engine cooling fan blows over the compressor.
I use it to fill my 33's from single digit psi back to 40, and it does amazing.

It also runs my air horn, one of the best mods, and probably an arb locker in the future.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Did my first offroading trip near Sedona. Went over Schnebly Hill starting on the Sedona side. Was insanely rocky/bumpy, but not very difficult. I think the funniest parts was that it was basically me and like a million rented RZRs and pink jeep tours.

I messed around a bit on a FS road near there the day before and got this of babby's first obstacle.
https://i.imgur.com/lGDEHgN.mp4

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

M. Night Skymall posted:

Did my first offroading trip near Sedona. Went over Schnebly Hill starting on the Sedona side. Was insanely rocky/bumpy, but not very difficult. I think the funniest parts was that it was basically me and like a million rented RZRs and pink jeep tours.

When I did it, there was a guy sending it in a UHaul pickup truck coming towards Sedona.

The views on Schnebly are amazing but you're dead on, it's not difficult. It's just rocky as hell and I'm sure it was much nicer in that WK2 than my TJ.

I want to see that thing coming down Devil's Staircase.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

chrisgt posted:

I have an onboard air setup with a viair 380 and it has been great for me. It has 100 percent duty cycle, and I mounted it on such a way that the mechanical engine cooling fan blows over the compressor.
I use it to fill my 33's from single digit psi back to 40, and it does amazing.

It also runs my air horn, one of the best mods, and probably an arb locker in the future.

It's also better and faster than my stupid bougie ARB single.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Possibly going to be in Sedona/Flagstaff area late November. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Possibly going to be in Sedona/Flagstaff area late November. Any recommendations?

Follow Nena Barlow / Barlow Adventures on your social media platform of choice, she's a solid resource for trail conditions / closures.

In Sedona proper, I've done Soldier Pass, Broken Arrow, and Schnebly Hill Road. One nice thing about hitting multiple trails in Sedona is that they're so close together that you don't even need to air up between them - you'll do so little paved driving and it will be at low speeds.

Soldier Pass is short - case in point that video, less than 30 minutes of actual driving. You also need a permit from recreation.gov, they only issue 12 permits per day, and they only issue them up to 90 days in advance. Broken Arrow is unrestricted and a good deal longer, and also includes the very, very fun (if you aren't my wife) Devil's Staircase. That's probably the most demanding obstacle on any of the trails in terms of vehicle capability, and that's just because of the strong possibility of dropping your delicate dangly bits on some very unforgiving rocks. All you actually do is just try to go downhill as slowly as possible. That video was before I regeared from 3.73 to 4.56, so I'd have an easier time staying slow now.

Schnebly Hill Road might be closed to through traffic by late November. It's long, it's bumpy, it's not at all technical and the only reason you might want four wheel drive is to be in low range. But the views are gorgeous and it's certainly a more interesting way from Sedona to Flagstaff than back out the normal way to I17.

Around Flagstaff itself I've done Cinders OHV area, which is completely otherworldly and one of the few spots in AZ where you aren't mandated to stick to a predefined trail. Also Lockett Meadow (which might also be closed by then), which is technically passable by almost any car but "feels" a good bit like a trail because it is the narrowest, most minimally maintained road that could possibly be built while allowing random 2WD cars to climb it.