Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrhythmia posted:

[[visibly losing composure]] Good job Mamkute.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

[[visibly losing composure]] Good job Mamkute.

the road to boruto is tough

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
astro bot rescue mission, ps4 vr. all levels 100%ed.

just all around charming platformer, used VR without being obnoxious about it. got it free through ps+ but it shouldve been a pack-in with psvr

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gnosia. i liked a bunch of stuff about it but the core gameplay had kind of worn out its welcome by th e time the story wrapped up. good writing though. 8/10.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

got end credits on Control. really enjoyed the writing and the environment. think i'll probably go back to clear out some of the side missions because it was great stumbling across the little vignettes they put all over the place

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
great ace attorney 1. its fine aside from the first case being unfathomably long. i wouldve been pissed if this came out here when it first did in japan and i had to wait for the sequel, its such a setup for 2 and you dont even get the full gameplay cycle of investigation + courtroom until the last 2 cases and even then theyre all 1 day trials. but since i can just jump right into game 2 im mostly fine with it. i like the characters mostly, the mysteries were just fine. it's ace attorney and it's fine (reference)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

path of exile campaign. all the new changes are good, the act 1 revamp was great. dabbled in maps a bit but I just dont care about that side of the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

Another Ace Attorney masterpiece

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

RE Village. Had its moments but still wasn't crazy about it in the end... I will say most of the boss fights were good and the RE engine continues to impress with it's insane graphics and character models, really top notch stuff. My favorite fight was probably propeller head. Having him take down the walls added a nice cat and mouse twist to your classic bullrush kind of enemy. The doll and the out of nowhere Heisenberg tank fight were cool too.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the doll section from beginning to end owns so hard, probably one of my favorite gaming sequences ever

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Been long enough since I last played it that I forgot most of it. Pretty cool doing it all over again.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

got end credits on Control. really enjoyed the writing and the environment. think i'll probably go back to clear out some of the side missions because it was great stumbling across the little vignettes they put all over the place

Yeah, same. I especially liked stuff like the "Dynamite" music video they did. I definitely think they all just had a lot of fun, while making the game.
Also, the ingame "Threshold Kids" children's TV show they created was so horrific - perfect in a way, but absolutely awful in the sense that no kid should be subjected to it, haha :D

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

10) Doom II: Hell on Earth - (Ultra-Violence 100% Kills/100% Items*/100% Secrets on all 32 maps) using the PrBoom-plus source port

An imp killed me after I blew up the Icon of Sin and it counted. Good enough for me. what a terrible boss lol. There's a lot of annoying maps in the city levels and the beginning of the hell levels but I enjoyed it a decent amount overall, I can't wait to play some wads now.

Glad to have finally done it. Now I can play IMPZONE.wad

*MAP 27 blows for many reasons but you also can't get all the items in it. Not that you should want to but there are 2 computer maps in it and you can only pick up one. still not sure why I bothered going for 100% items

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

10) Doom II: Hell on Earth - (Ultra-Violence 100% Kills/100% Items*/100% Secrets on all 32 maps) using the PrBoom-plus source port

An imp killed me after I blew up the Icon of Sin and it counted. Good enough for me. what a terrible boss lol. There's a lot of annoying maps in the city levels and the beginning of the hell levels but I enjoyed it a decent amount overall, I can't wait to play some wads now.

*MAP 27 blows for many reasons but you also can't get all the items in it. Not that you should want to but there are 2 computer maps in it and you can only pick up one. still not sure why I bothered going for 100% items

cool

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Dragon Quest 2 GBC version

Really charming and delightful, which is probably news to no one here. Realizing that the game was changing from something really linear and straight forward to a huge open epic around the 1/3rd mark when you get the boat felt awesome, though I think I enjoyed the idea more than the execution. In particular, I felt for sure I had missed at least one of the seals as I was about to go into the last cave before I found some NPC who was like "btw, the last seal is just up ahead". The difficulty spike in the final biome/dungeon also caught me off guard, as I had been sailing through encounters right beforehand and suddenly found myself losing a party member each fight. Still, I had a good time the entire time through, and I am looking forward immensely to playing the 2d-hd version of 3 (whenever it comes out).

The solution to how to get the prison key can gently caress off. Some La-Mulana level horse poo poo there.

4/5

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Evil Eagle posted:

So funnily enough, the only way to pacifist the icon of sin is to get a bunch of archviles to blow you back through the mouth and into john Romero's head, the damage over time is just enough to kill the boss, you can squeeze through the gap because you die mid air.

This is unfortunately impossible without a TAS though :(

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

11. Final Fantasy 1 Pixel Remaster.

Default party of Fighter, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage. Remastered music is really good.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
Stacking
Armored Warriors
Max Payne 3 (medium)
Virginia
Shining Force II
Superhero League of Hoboken
Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast EE
Alcahest
Hotline Miami
Streets of Rage 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Succession Wars Archibald and Roland campaigns
The art and music in this is so drat good, but after spending 40 hours completing these campaigns I have no energy at all left to beat the 4 (!) expansion ones.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

just rush black dragons/pheonixes and armageddon bro. or create infinite ghost stacks

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Ace Attorney Trilogy

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Technically a replay, but I'd forgotten nearly everything in the decade or more since I played it, so aside from a sudden Jimmy Neutron brain blast during the TV studio case when I saw Dee Vasquez for the first time and instantly remembered that they were the killer but not how or why, it was basically all new to me. The first 4 cases--the original ones from the game's JP GBA release--were all fantastic. The game is laugh-out-loud hilarious with really endearing characters, and the investigations and trials are all expertly done, finding and putting together the clues is enough of a puzzle to be challenging but never relies on silly adventure-game logic like some of these style of games do. I also love the art style, I'm doing the Switch trilogy collection which does the weird smooth art instead of the pixel art like all these remasters do for some reason, but even then the art's really great and I wouldn't have noticed anything was off if I hadn't already seen the pixel art before. Character design especially is top-notch, the over-the-top designs are the most famous but even the characters like Penny who just look like regular people have a ton of charm to them.

I didn't really like the last case though. The first four all kind of told this one larger story about Phoenix, Edgeworth, and the Feys that had its closure at the end of the last one, and then suddenly you're doing this weird side story with a bootleg Maya that had nothing to do with anything (except I guess to try and retcon the thing about Edgeworth tampering with evidence to win into being rumors over an incident that wasn't his fault, even though he's literally introduced pulling a dirty trick with evidence?), and it went on too long, and the courtroom scenes felt a lot shoddier--there was once when we forced a witness to reveal that they viewed the crime from the complete opposite end of the floor than they claimed and I got penalized for saying that this would have changed the angle that she viewed the crime from, for example, or another part where I was penalized for showing the actual murder weapon instead of the photo I had of it in my possession. But it still had some great characters and the main antagonist was great and snaring them into a confession was a lot of fun, so it wasn't all bad.

Really looking forward to starting 2, which I played right after the first one all those years ago so I've forgotten everything about it except that a circus is involved at some point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Picross S, all regular puzzles no hints. Doing the Mega Picross puzzles now.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I didn't really like the last case though. The first four all kind of told this one larger story about Phoenix, Edgeworth, and the Feys that had its closure at the end of the last one, and then suddenly you're doing this weird side story with a bootleg Maya that had nothing to do with anything

Fwiw the 5th case in the original Ace Attorney is a side story because it was added in the DS release, which is why it has all the minigames like the fingerprint dusting and lets you rotate and examine evidence that aren't present in any other case of the original trilogy. I like the case a lot but it has some hosed up parts that are frustrating like when you cross examine Gant the first time and you have to ask him specific questions in a specific order to advance.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Gant's a cool villain and he pretty much salvages the whole case.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

FactsAreUseless posted:

mega picross ftw. have you done it before?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Grats. I skipped the Mega and went straight to 2 but bug deal keeps saying that Mega is tight so maybe I'll go back and give it a real effort so I can mark it as 100%.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

b_d posted:

mega picross ftw. have you done it before?
No, this was my first Picross game. I've done the first page of Mega puzzles and they're not as bad as the tutorial made them seem. The 20x15 regular puzzles were way too easy so I'm hoping these will be more challenging.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Sega version is the first one I've played with clip picross and it looks like you have to unlock all the clip pieces by playing all 3 other modes...gonna 100% this bitch

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Clip is just like random extra content. It's not super interesting but it's cool to have, and some of the later clip puzzles contain like 60 individual pieces so it'll keep you busy for sure.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Alan Wake including the special episodes. Too much drat talking in this game! And the gameplay in the final special episode was actually much better than the base game, the added elements worked really well. It's interesting to play this game in 2021 because it's such a time capsule of 2010 game design with overemphasized character animations and amounts of image post-processing and deliberate slo-mo that make it painful to play at times

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
26. Yu-Gi-Oh! World Tournament 2007 (All Review Duels, All Duel Puzzles, All Limited Duels, All Theme Duels)

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Mamkute posted:

26. Yu-Gi-Oh! World Tournament 2007 (All Review Duels, All Duel Puzzles, All Limited Duels, All Theme Duels)

I loved that one as a kid... wasnt very good at it but my cousin made me a bunch of interesting decks to play with

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster (Fighter/Fighter/Red Mage/Red Mage)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

welcome posted:

It's cheating to use two fighters. Do it again.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Arrhythmia posted:

It's cheating to use two fighters. Do it again.

Crumbs.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I used 4 black mages when I played it last year

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

welcome posted:

tinker, tinker, soldier, soldier.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

9. Final Fantasy 1 Pixel Remaster, all achievements. Went with the party I played as a kid, Fighter, Black Belt, White Mage, Black Mage.

I can't tell how many QOL updates were from prior re-releases, but I liked this. The balance changes are subtle enough that you don't notice, except that you mostly don't have to grind. Obviously you don't whiff of you target something that dies later and you can have more than like four weapons in your inventory. Also I think Ethers are new? The "press Q to fast forward and auto attack" thing is cool and I liked having a map.

Some things I noticed: the Hall of Giants just has two giant combats in it now. As far as I can tell, they took Mindflayers/Sorcerers out of the Ice Cave. You definitely level faster. Chaos definitely has more HP.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
There are definitely still mindflayers in the ice cave, but the encounters seem like they're in a bunch of smaller zones in this one? I felt like I was running into the same group 4-5 times in a row all game long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Halo 2 Legendary co-op

Torture all the way through, but the kind where you cheer for every single checkpoint like it's your graduation

The final boss was complete rear end but my buddy remembered all the cool tricks from og Xbox and brought a plane into the room, then it was still rear end, but doable rear end