Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Here’s what I got

https://youtu.be/Oq2ecSJNgXo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Trip report: the braaaaap bots can still leave while a vote is going on.

What on earth is a brap bot

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

brap posted:

What on earth is a brap bot

A bot whose steam name is "braaaap ##". One of the easiest ways to tell identify bots is that they almost always have an in-game name that's different than their steam name. Legitimate players can do this, too, but it's nearly always just their TF2 name getting truncated. 99/100 times, a player with significant differences between steam and TF2 names is a bot. TF2 Bot Detector shows you the difference easily; I just have it displaying on my second monitor.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Entered about 10 games in a row with >70% bot occupancy. I think I'm just gonna have to migrate to that off-steam platform. Why exactly do they gravitate towards this game anyway? Free being obvious but is it just popular enough to be worth the effort and just under the radar to avoid vac bans and so on? What's their goal, are they making money somehow or are they just the lowest effort griefers of all time

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
I wouldn't be surprised if TF2 is being used as a testing/training ground for hack/bot development. Higher profile F2P game with some security measures in place but a largely absent dev team? Perfect conditions.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Unfortunately TF2 isn’t the only bot infested game. Since the 2015 source leak there have been tons of aimbots released across different games. Apex Legends has just as many hackers in it that TF2 does.

TF2 had bots because it has low specs and you run a pack of bots off a computer in text mode. So some wanna be griefer can run a dozen bots off their computer while they join the server to watch the chaos.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

in it voted digg

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
also i played for the first time in like two years and had one close fun match, two steamrolls, and one "80% of the server is a bot with the same icon"

rip

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Craig K posted:

also i played for the first time in like two years and had one close fun match, two steamrolls, and one "80% of the server is a bot with the same icon"

rip

Play on community servers like the Uncle Dane ones and you won't have to deal with bots or hackers

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Play on community servers like the Uncle Dane ones and you won't have to deal with bots or hackers

Oh there are definitely hackers, but they are usually smarter and more subtle. Just remember that all but two top level snipers in HIghlander a few years back were vac banned. If you want to cheat and aren’t a complete idiot, you can do so fairly well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drrockso20 posted:

Ya, solid recommend for the Uncle Dane servers. The level of play can be pretty high, which can be a problem for drunks like me, but the community is pretty chill.

(And random crits are off.)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so a guy I follow on YouTube just celebrated hitting 13,000 subscribers by doing a video giving his very abridged thoughts on every non-reskin weapon in TF2;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEZ2POS2yj4

was thinking about doing something similar in text form here, but I realized that would be a downright enormous wall of text, so I'll need to workshop it a bit before doing something like that(and probably post it on Pastebin or something instead of directly posting it)

Popputan
Jul 27, 2021

Mahou Shoujo brainrot syndrome. It's terminal.
Have any of you ever played as one class for so long you've completely forgotten how to play the other eight?

Having exclusively played Pyro and only Pyro for like, three months, I absolutely cannot go back to anything else. Despite being able to consistently hit accurate flares, I can't even hit a good meatshot playing Scout or a single pipe with Demo. Played MvM a few days ago and I was on my knees trying to convince my team that I shouldn't go Medic even though we didn't have one because it would just make things even worse...
We kicked rear end, though. Gas Passin' and Airblastin' carries.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Popputan posted:

Have any of you ever played as one class for so long you've completely forgotten how to play the other eight?

Having exclusively played Pyro and only Pyro for like, three months, I absolutely cannot go back to anything else. Despite being able to consistently hit accurate flares, I can't even hit a good meatshot playing Scout or a single pipe with Demo. Played MvM a few days ago and I was on my knees trying to convince my team that I shouldn't go Medic even though we didn't have one because it would just make things even worse...
We kicked rear end, though. Gas Passin' and Airblastin' carries.

Yup but for me it was the old degreaser/reserve shooter. I basically quit TF2 due to the modern pyro rework because it changed that playstyle so much.

Granted, old reserve shooter pyro was pretty bullshit so I know it needed to change. But I loved it and played it almost exclusively for several years, so the game never felt the same with its loss.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I have been playing dragon's fury pyro a lot recently and it's fun. It utterly destroys people if you can aim it right. If I two-tap a light class, I can just walk away, because he's dead.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I have been playing dragon's fury pyro a lot recently and it's fun. It utterly destroys people if you can aim it right. If I two-tap a light class, I can just walk away, because he's dead.

Yeah pair it up with one of Pyro's flare guns(even the Manmelter works fairly well here) and you can do some nasty combos and unlike the Phlog you can maintain some measure of dignity while doing so

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Even though Zesty is an emotional weirdo, he had a pretty decent video about the Dragon’s Fury a week or so ago.

https://youtu.be/gseJ8dylazA

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah pair it up with one of Pyro's flare guns(even the Manmelter works fairly well here) and you can do some nasty combos and unlike the Phlog you can maintain some measure of dignity while doing so

These combos are fun because they START with the flare gun, instead of ending with it.

I use the detonator, because it lets you do a terrifying horizontal flare lunge by holding both left and right mouse button while jump + ducking and looking behind you. Plus, it lets you do aiming-optional fire spam from across the map, without you having to give up your dignity and use the scorch shot.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

how does the dragon's fury interact with the new "afterburn duration ramps up with damage taken" mechanic? does one or two shots get them to full afterburn duration?

Popputan
Jul 27, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I use the detonator, because it lets you do a terrifying horizontal flare lunge by holding both left and right mouse button while jump + ducking and looking behind you. Plus, it lets you do aiming-optional fire spam from across the map, without you having to give up your dignity and use the scorch shot.
Yeah, that's why I pretty much consider the Detonator Pyro's best all-around weapon. The versatility and consistency of it is great.

Oh, and detjumping is hella fun. I've made so many cheesy rear end kills and escapes with it on Hightower in particular, I swear that map is BUILT for classes that are able to get good vertical mobility.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Paul MaudDib posted:

how does the dragon's fury interact with the new "afterburn duration ramps up with damage taken" mechanic? does one or two shots get them to full afterburn duration?

The dragon's fury, afaik, only does 3 seconds total of afterburn (or 1 second against other pyros and snipers wearing the "immune to your class" backpack.) It doesn't use the normal afterburn mechanic.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Due to randomly ending up watching a video of someone playing it I gave Team Fortress 2 Classic a download and try and well it's pretty good, particularly in terms of performance

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Some guy just added me out of nowhere and offered me 4 keys for a couple regular rear end flamethrowers with old halloween effects on them. I haven't played in years are these worth something?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Those spells are very rare, they haven't dropped since that first year I think.

Popputan
Jul 27, 2021

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Some guy just added me out of nowhere and offered me 4 keys for a couple regular rear end flamethrowers with old halloween effects on them. I haven't played in years are these worth something?
I actually have no idea how much the Halloween effect items are worth now, you should try checking backpack.tf to see if they have a set value.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Backpack.tf doesn't differentiate the price of them vs a regular flamethrower, sadly.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Even the really lovely effects are adding about a key to the cost of the item.

The really good footstep ones or voice ones add like 10-15 keys onto multiclass/all-class items last I checked, but it's been at least a year since I really did any research into them

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Do the footsteps still show up for cloaked spies because that was amazing.

edit also the haunted weapons one or whatever it was that crippled dead ringer

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Backpack.tf doesn't differentiate the price of them vs a regular flamethrower, sadly.
Check the relevant group:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/TF2Spell

If a random scammer offered you 4 keys, you can assume that the items in question are worth at least 20.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Xander77 posted:

Check the relevant group:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/TF2Spell

If a random scammer offered you 4 keys, you can assume that the items in question are worth at least 20.
There are two major spell trading groups: Drago's TF2Spell (listed above) and Enderslicer's Spell Trading Discord (link via his Steam page https://steamcommunity.com/id/EnderSlicer/ ). The general consensus of the backpack.tf community is to go with price checks in Enderslicer's community over Drago's community for more accurate pricing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

When playing Engineer, it is your duty to implore all those around you to move that gear up. You gotta.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

When playing Engineer, it is your duty to implore all those around you to move that gear up. You gotta.

All-righty then

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Well don’t that beat all.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

heck no

Popputan
Jul 27, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I wonder what Jimbomcb has been up to all these years?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I always knew the huntsman's hitboxes were pretty OP but lmao at the actual reason why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvOaUF1Sl5c

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

natascha is the best weapon in the game. fight me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

natascha is the best weapon in the game. fight me

I don’t need to fight subhuman filth. Learn to aim and maybe we’ll be able to talk on the same level.