Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Mae posted:

I love quenching my thirst on a hot day with a carton of milk I found on a barrel in the woods

I prefer Tactical Pineapple Juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Heatwave event? You know what time it is.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FineClearSquidKappa

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mae posted:

I love quenching my thirst on a hot day with a carton of milk I found on a barrel in the woods

Speaking of, goddamn are new Woods a blessing. I took a break last wipe and on the old Woods there was really no reason to go there other than quests. Now, with new loot places and improved loot in general, Woods is finally the place to make money instead of losing money. Scav/Usec camps just have so much poo poo it's ridiculous. I go in as a scav and leave with a BP full of food and drinks, not to mention military gear. Plus I have great luck with Shturhman, got him a lot of times.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Heatwave is kinda growing on me, but I can see how it would suck major rear end for lower level players

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Kikas posted:

Speaking of, goddamn are new Woods a blessing. I took a break last wipe and on the old Woods there was really no reason to go there other than quests. Now, with new loot places and improved loot in general, Woods is finally the place to make money instead of losing money. Scav/Usec camps just have so much poo poo it's ridiculous. I go in as a scav and leave with a BP full of food and drinks, not to mention military gear. Plus I have great luck with Shturhman, got him a lot of times.

Nighttime customs is my go to for scavving

High density map, PMCs are there for a specific reason at night and usually want to gently caress off ASAP, and the few pscavs I see are of the more mature variety so I'm less likely to get shot in the back

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjMm7yEtit8

Remember, scav crime doesn't pay.

Halborn
Nov 8, 2020

So a brittle blade will shatter before it bends, so a brittle soul will break before it turns.
Do I need a second monitor for maps and navigation to starty playing this infamous game or what?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Finally hit level 20. I have absolutely no idea how anyone is supposed to get to flea market now without the bad with money edition max stash and gamma.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Halborn posted:

Do I need a second monitor for maps and navigation to starty playing this infamous game or what?

I won’t lie to you, it really helps. You can probably get away with using your phone for a while until you start to recognize major map landmarks and get acquainted with the first few maps you’ll be running all the time (Customs, Shoreline, Woods).

Of course the generic advice here is for you to do offline raids to run around and learn the maps without the added pressure of trying to stay alive. Scav raids help with this too.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Halborn posted:

Yeah you really should. Customs isn’t too confusing you’ll learn it quick as you’ll be spending a lot of time there starting off. I’ve played this game for 3 years and I still need maps for interchange

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Halborn posted:

As others have said, technically no but in practice yes you really want some way to display information that won't require an alt+tab. You really only need something capable of running a web browser though, so there's no need to get a second monitor just for the game if you have a smartphone/tablet/old laptop (which you almost certainly do).

Conversely, don't let that stop you if you're just looking for an excuse to move to a multi-monitor setup. ;)

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Halborn posted:

I have a second computer next to my gaming laptop for maps/quests/wiki info. As someone that doesn't have every aspect of the game memorized it's incredibly handy.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

The Clap posted:

Of course the generic advice here is for you to do offline raids to run around and learn the maps without the added pressure of trying to stay alive. Scav raids help with this too.

I don't like that I get nothing from offline raids so I started using the single player mod. At least that offline profile gets stuff and allows me to mess with things more freely. Plus I can set the timers high so I can bum around and learn the maps, then eventually turn the timer to normal when I have the map more figured out. It's just a bit more satisfying. Scav runs are also good since it's low pressure/risk and you might even get some stuff/money after it!

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Finally hit level 20. I have absolutely no idea how anyone is supposed to get to flea market now without the bad with money edition max stash and gamma.

If you're not being hyperbolic, then seriously? Standard players can unlock everything that EOD players can unlock except a Gamma. What exactly prevents you from reaching level 20? Lmao if you're struggling that hard maybe play a different game.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Cage Kicker posted:

If you're not being hyperbolic, then seriously? Standard players can unlock everything that EOD players can unlock except a Gamma. What exactly prevents you from reaching level 20? Lmao if you're struggling that hard maybe play a different game.

The smaller stash makes it really hard to stockpile quest items are critical hideout upgrade loot as well as raid gear.

The smaller butt wallet makes it harder to get guaranteed loot out of the raid.

Like it's not impossible, but if you are an average skilled player, not having the EOD goodies will definitely spike your difficulty levels.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Cage Kicker posted:

It was hyperbolic because of the slow progress this wipe compared to last.

Took me like a week last wipe without EOD to hit flea market and obviously like a month this time even with the cheater mode.

Not everyone has time to grind XP endlessly, doesn't mean they should just stop playing. Your posts are pretty toxic.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Also the .2 rep bonus from being eod means that you can get jaeger 2 for water collector 2 and therefore lav and kitchen 3 and workbench 3 and intel 2 and bitcoin farm without having to do more than a couple jaeger quests (it basically makes him in line with all the other traders). If you don't have it you have to do probably 4-5 more of the tarkov shooter quests, well into the kill pmcs with a mosin while farting and wearing only a banana hammock territory

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I didn't even know about the rep bonus. Yeah that and the gamma are a huge leg up. Jaeger quests all give about 0.02 rep and are combat oriented so he is a big pain in the arse.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I am one of those suckers that paid for EOD for the sole reason of being able to stockpile quest/hideout items

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

It was hyperbolic because of the slow progress this wipe compared to last.

Took me like a week last wipe without EOD to hit flea market and obviously like a month this time even with the cheater mode.

Not everyone has time to grind XP endlessly, doesn't mean they should just stop playing. Your posts are pretty toxic.

You make so many excuses but I'm certainly not by any means grinding endless XP, I just do a quest or two a week and play some raids for fun and I'm almost level 25. And you said you're cheating? Lol

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I referred to EOD jokingly as cheater mode. Because it is lol

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I bought bad with money edition when it was either fork over the cash or start deleting quest poo poo

Worth it

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

You make so many excuses but I'm certainly not by any means grinding endless XP, I just do a quest or two a week and play some raids for fun and I'm almost level 25. And you said you're cheating? Lol

This is embarrassing

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

rap music posted:

I bought bad with money edition when it was either fork over the cash or start deleting quest poo poo

Worth it

I also bought it because when I divided the amount of time I was spending on Tarkov vs. the cost it came out to Good Spend

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
simply memorize the maps or alt tab, no need to buy a second monitor

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

rap music posted:

Worth it

I bought standard, played for a day then upgraded to bad with money edition because I knew immediately inventory space was going to be make or break for me liking the game.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

sinburger posted:

I bought standard, played for a day then upgraded to bad with money edition because I knew immediately inventory space was going to be make or break for me liking the game.

In terms of dollars/hour I'm way past even the hard stuff (Crusader Kings, heck even Civ) with this game. Easy calculation to go bad with money.

That playtime is usually all around the wipe, but I'm already well past where I fell off the last wipe. Didn't even make the med 3 last time, just got there tonight, looking forward to seeing how much longer this round will go. Plenty of good games coming out in September but I'll have to escape first.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Cage Kicker posted:

Jesus dude go outside or something.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Did the level 3 lavatory always have a fire extinguisher sized tube of toothpaste sitting on the sink or is that new to this wipe?

Never noticed it before.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
People are definitely paying upwards of $95 extra for the EOD edition of the game just for the pride of having a little crown next to their name and not the massive boost in convenience and functionality that max stash and gamma provide

As a recently minted EOD I played alongside a regular edition for the first couple weeks of the wipe and being able to have more than a kit and a half in my stash alongside all my quest and hideout items is huge. Acting like EOD's not a big advantage is asinine

Halborn
Nov 8, 2020

So a brittle blade will shatter before it bends, so a brittle soul will break before it turns.

The Clap posted:

I won’t lie to you, it really helps.

hello internet posted:

Yeah you really should.

LGD posted:

As others have said, technically no but in practice yes

sinburger posted:

I have a second computer next to my gaming laptop for maps/quests/wiki info.
Thank you kindly for the advice, arranging a second screen shouldn't be a problem and it will certainly help me navigate through maps and memorize them.
I've got another question in that case - are those connectivity and desync issues people mention sometimes serious enough to hinder my gear progress and so on?
I can deal with getting my rear end killed because someone was more skilled and better geared than me, but random deaths casued by netcode tilt me greatly.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Halborn posted:

Thank you kindly for the advice, arranging a second screen shouldn't be a problem and it will certainly help me navigate through maps and memorize them.
I've got another question in that case - are those connectivity and desync issues people mention sometimes serious enough to hinder my gear progress and so on?
I can deal with getting my rear end killed because someone was more skilled and better geared than me, but random deaths casued by netcode tilt me greatly.

It’s one of those things where people don’t complain when they don’t have an issue. It seems common when the only posts about it are people having issues. I’ve played since 2018 and can’t count on both hands the amount of times I’ve died to obvious cheaters or weird desync

Halborn
Nov 8, 2020

hello internet posted:

It’s one of those things where people don’t complain when they don’t have an issue. It seems common when the only posts about it are people having issues. I’ve played since 2018 and can’t count on both hands the amount of times I’ve died to obvious cheaters or weird desync
So if I understand your post correctly, it may be more of a cognitive bias than a real and serious issue. This sounds calming enough then!

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Halborn posted:

So if I understand your post correctly, it may be more of a cognitive bias than a real and serious issue. This sounds calming enough then!

The games not perfect by any means but rarely am I in positions where I am dying because of things outside of my control. I could have been more patient, I could have zigged when I zagged, I left my head exposed for too long, etc. Sometimes you just get sniped from across the map. As long as you take your time and position yourself well at all times, you should have a fighting chance.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Where was this dude sniping from if I am in the military camp with all the food/meds in the southern part of Woods? Probably a dumb question if there are multiple popular spots that overlook it.

He had the loudest sniper rifle I heard so far.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

poe meater posted:

Where was this dude sniping from if I am in the military camp with all the food/meds in the southern part of Woods? Probably a dumb question if there are multiple popular spots that overlook it.

Depends on where you were. Plenty of spots around the perimeter for getting angles on people

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

poe meater posted:

You can see into the camp from the big sniper rock, the hill by RUAF exit, and the tall rock on a line from the camp towards UN exit.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

a 46 just donated his meta gun to my scav lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f751y_RC8pk

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
He wasn't wearing a helmet. He didn't deserve that gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I'm very close to saying gently caress it and going back to shooting pscavs on sight