Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's Monday morning and I've had to try very hard not to reply with "have you tried thinking for yourself?" to a request already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a guy, every ticket he puts in, the subject is "Logging onto computers". Doesn't matter what the problem is.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

We have a guy, every ticket he puts in, the subject is "Logging onto computers". Doesn't matter what the problem is.

Well, if he didn't have to do that, there wouldn't be a problem.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

He's using a computer to log the ticket.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bob Morales posted:

Remote into his computer, disable autocomplete feature in Firefox

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Agrikk posted:

How can a twenty word email contain so much horror?

:negative:

new gmail who dis?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We hired two temporary employees to take people's temperature when they entered the building during covid. One at each entrance. Since we don't have to test anymore, we let one of the people go and the other is doing random poo poo in the office. Scanning documents, poo poo like that.

This person has absolutely no knowledge of anything. How do I use a phone? How do I save a file? How do I use a copier?

Other people keep creating tickets for her to 'access the network' or 'xxx needs the M: drive', she has all of these things but just doesn't know how to do a drat thing.

They aren't Amish since they have a fuckin' Porsche Cayenne so I can't figure this one out.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I will never not be baffled by people under 30 who are more computer illiterate than my 90 year old grandmother. But it'll probably be actually more common going forward -- people don't use computers at home, they use phones for everything.

"Ok, open the browser. What's a browser? Um ... it's like the computer version of Safari, look for a multicolored circle" -- a mostly real conversation I have had

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

I will never not be baffled by people under 30 who are more computer illiterate than my 90 year old grandmother. But it'll probably be actually more common going forward -- people don't use computers at home, they use phones for everything.

"Ok, open the browser. What's a browser? Um ... it's like the computer version of Safari, look for a multicolored circle" -- a mostly real conversation I have had

Computers are expensive and let you contribute content.

Phones and tablets are subsidised by both advertising companies and mobile carriers and let you shut up and consume content and advertising with little to no ability to contribute back or be allowed to learn about any inner workings.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well all we have to do is wait until we fix our public education system so they'll start teaching kids that stuff in grade school.

You know, not just the rich ones that get a laptop when they walk in the door.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

regulargonzalez posted:

I will also never not be baffled by people who have worked with computers before, in an office setting, and promptly forget how to computer as soon as they go to a new job.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

You know, not just the rich ones that get a laptop when they walk in the door.
Even they end up getting Chromebooks or Macs if there's way too much money going around so if they bother to learn anything it's similar but not the same as it would be on Windows. Which leads to the bigger problem I see:

dragonshardz posted:

I will also never not be baffled by people who have worked with computers before, in an office setting, and promptly forget how to computer as soon as they go to a new job.
There are a shocking number of people who never actually understand what they're doing at their job. They have learned a certain set of actions that result in them receiving a paycheck and not getting chewed out by their boss, and that's it. I call them "human macros" because they just know to click here, then here, then here, then press Y, etc. If anything unexpected happens, something moves, something looks different, they break down even if the solution is blindingly obvious.

I notice it most with people who use computers for their job, but after starting to look more closely I see it in other fields as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"This network you deployed is poo poo, we can barely maintain a video call, frames drop all over the place and it's a mess"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We're going to give everyone a 3% raise in July and optimize the titles!

-August: No raise in sight, nothing has changed.

Just in time for the Delta variant. It's ok, I'm sure the admins got their bonuses on time and in full. This is a hospital btw.

Also HR just said it's policy that overtime is calculated by pay period and not by work day, so even if I work more than 8 hours I don't get the OT premium if I take a day off because I have something to do on a weekday. Even sent them the Labor Code pertaining to OT and they just clammed up. Very cool system we have here you guys.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
when they say everyone they only mean people that matter.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
It can't be illegal if it fills the dragon's treasure trove

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
At least they're not trying to push through retroactive pay cuts like a lot of schools here in Alberta are doing. At my work they were pushing for -2%/year for the last 3 years. The union rejected it outright, it went to arbitration, and we ended up with 0% change. Making 6 years now with no inflation or cost of living raises. But somehow they have the money for a new VP position and a few other non-union positions :thunk:. I'm not sure on the status of other schools. Hopefully none of them are actually getting a pay cut, retroactive or otherwise. It's an extra special gently caress-you for having to work though Covid.

Speaking of Covid half my department, including all helpdesk staff, were laid off when lockdowns started, with the promise that everyone would be rehired after 12 months or when covid restrictions are lifted. The 12 month mark passed and we were told that no-one will be hired back, but the positions will be reopened and refilled once restrictions are lifted. Now restrictions are lifted and we're being told the personell funds have been transferred to other departments and we're getting no positions back.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Hungry Computer posted:

At least they're not trying to push through retroactive pay cuts like a lot of schools here in Alberta are doing. At my work they were pushing for -2%/year for the last 3 years. The union rejected it outright, it went to arbitration, and we ended up with 0% change. Making 6 years now with no inflation or cost of living raises. But somehow they have the money for a new VP position and a few other non-union positions :thunk:. I'm not sure on the status of other schools. Hopefully none of them are actually getting a pay cut, retroactive or otherwise. It's an extra special gently caress-you for having to work though Covid.

Speaking of Covid half my department, including all helpdesk staff, were laid off when lockdowns started, with the promise that everyone would be rehired after 12 months or when covid restrictions are lifted. The 12 month mark passed and we were told that no-one will be hired back, but the positions will be reopened and refilled once restrictions are lifted. Now restrictions are lifted and we're being told the personell funds have been transferred to other departments and we're getting no positions back.

:stonklol:

What fresh hell is that? My god.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Are retroactive pay cuts actually legal in Canada?

Even my hyper-capitalist union-busting right-to-work hellcountry has that worker protection

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
The wage negotiations for the last few years weren't technically closed because they were supposed to go to arbitration, but the provincial government had put a hold on arbitration. So this year was negotiating for the last 3 years. Otherwise it would be illegal. What really gets me is how many people here are still pro-UCP. Conservatism is a hell of a drug, I guess.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are a lot of companies rediscovering a long lost love for e-mails again? Lately I'm getting an ongoing shitload of e-mail notifications from sites I've been signed up for and/or using for years, but so far never pestered me via e-mail.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
End of my third week at the new job they announce that the office is closing down next year.

Oh, and in regards to this post: turns out that the IDF they directed us to was the wrong one and all the ports in our new space were in the IDF we already had our switch in. I found this out after we finally found a conduit between the two IDFs and ran a fiber cable between them to put our switch in the new IDF. Plugged the port labeled with the port in my office into our switch and somehow it was still on the other network. Turns out there are ports in both IDFs with the same port label.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

regulargonzalez posted:

I will never not be baffled by people under 30 who are more computer illiterate than my 90 year old grandmother.

I think there's a 15-20 year age range where people who grew up when computers were still difficult to use developed a particular mindset about how to use them and how to troubleshoot etc.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

wolrah posted:

There are a shocking number of people who never actually understand what they're doing at their job. They have learned a certain set of actions that result in them receiving a paycheck and not getting chewed out by their boss, and that's it. I call them "human macros" because they just know to click here, then here, then here, then press Y, etc. If anything unexpected happens, something moves, something looks different, they break down even if the solution is blindingly obvious.

OH GOD - this ^!

The vast majority of our users in our retail locations access our systems through Citrix on thin clients. The version of Citrix we were using is reaching EOL, so starting in December of last year, we began rolling out the new version of Citrix (hosted on 2019 servers), one division at a time.

The new version of Citrix comes with some changes - a Win10 based desktop, updated Office apps, and IE being replaced by Edge

During the roll-out phase for each division, we ran both versions side-by-side, so when a user logged in to the Workspace, they had a Desktop and a Desktop WS2019, an Outlook and an Outlook WS2019, etc.

Extensive communications were sent out to each division, both before and during the roll out, telling of the changes they would see. Emails, flyers in break rooms, articles on the front page of the corporate landing site (which is set as the home page on all browsers) encouraging user to start using the new versions.

After 3 weeks of running both versions, the older servers were shut down and users were left with only the new versions.

Cue the frantic phone calls - "I'm missing my citrix desktop!" No, its the one called Desktop WS2019.
"My desktop looks different, I think I need an account reset!" No, its the new desktop - that's what it looks like
"I'm missing my email!" No, the icon is blue now, not yellow/orange. Its called Outlook WS2019.
"Internet Explorer is missing!" Right, its been replaced by Edge

And my favorite - "Why didn't anyone tell us this was happening!!!"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CollegeCop posted:

That's always my favorite because I have access to our Graylog instance that has logging events for every goddamned email we send.

:what: "I show here at 14:35:07.220 UTC that we sent an email to $ADDRESS, $ADDRESS_2, and $ADDRESS_3 with subject $SUBJECT regarding this matter"
:v: "but we don't monitor those addresses!"
:what: "they're the addresses you configured to have notifications sent to, not our problem"

J
Jun 10, 2001

CollegeCop posted:

When I first got started in IT I'd send very wordy emails that covered all the possible situations, potential problems, etc. Then I learned nobody reads that poo poo. So I'd make my emails more and more concise over the years trying to figure out how short they had to be to get people to actually read them. Then I realized nobody reads anything! gently caress it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why you change poo poo whenever you want and learn to ignore the complaints. And hope your management doesn't care either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Emails sent out by IT are not for people to read, they are so you have proof that you notified your staff in case anybody decides to be a dick about it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanks Ants posted:

Emails sent out by IT are not for people to read, they are so you have proof that you notified your staff in case anybody decides to be a dick about it.

:emptyquote:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I was going to make a post along these lines, but I am glad I waited because this is much more eloquent.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

regulargonzalez posted:

It's not like they can't, they just won't. Unless it has a direct benefit, they can't be assed to spend the effort. Take my two nephews as anecdotes. Reinstalling Windows is an unsurmountable task that I need to babysit, frequently are files being lost in standard folder structures, but oh pirating movies and running cheats and trainers, that's being self-taught pretty quickly.

--edit:
Worst is, one of them wants to go study CS eventually. I keep prodding him to start spending some effort onto this, with what being 16 already, but gaming > *, so...

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 4, 2021

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

CollegeCop posted:

Ahh, that never changes. Story time from 1999. The company in question, a major telecoms company in Liverpool, UK which has long since gone bankrupt.

So we had 14 Pyramid OS/x unix mainframes (nothing to do with Apple OS X) thst were being replaced with three "modern" Siemens Pyramid DC/OSx units.

Emails were sent a year in advance. The login message was changed on every OS/x boxes, followup and countdown emails were sent to all user accounts. Pyramid 1 was to go first on 3rd Januaryy 1999, Pyramid 2-4 on the 7th etc. Contact IT of you need need an account on the new ones and assistance moving your poo poo. Heads of department were contacted and asked to inform their staff. Much migration work happened. Six monts after shutdown the servers will be scrapped

Roll on July and an irate user calls and gets me because Im helping the helpdesk that day as people are physically moving servers and apparently women can't do that, so I don't exactly give a poo poo. User calls.

"I can't get onto Pyramid 1, where the hell has it gone?"

"Yeah it's just gone in the skip (dumpster)." *looks up user* "I see you're in building 51, if you look out the windows at the back you should see it."

At that exact moment it started pissing down with rain, guaranteeing he wasn't getting that server back. It was absolutely perfect!

Apparently he logs into it once every six months, doesn't read his email or the MOTD, and last ran his report on the 2nd January

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Combat Pretzel posted:

Worst is, one of them wants to go study CS eventually. I keep prodding him to start spending some effort onto this, with what being 16 already, but gaming > *, so...

Get him involved in game modding. Great introduction to programming as you can see the results of your instructions right there on the screen. Also develops the ability to read and understand code that others have written, which is an exceptionally useful tool given how much developers love to comment their code.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

PremiumSupport posted:

Get him involved in game modding. Great introduction to programming as you can see the results of your instructions right there on the screen. Also develops the ability to read and understand code that others have written, which is an exceptionally useful tool given how much developers love to comment their code.

Never encourage kids to get involved in anything that night lead them to working in game development.

At least, not any kids you like.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's not like they can't, they just won't. Unless it has a direct benefit, they can't be assed to spend the effort. Take my two nephews as anecdotes. Reinstalling Windows is an unsurmountable task that I need to babysit, frequently are files being lost in standard folder structures, but oh pirating movies and running cheats and trainers, that's being self-taught pretty quickly.

--edit:

I mean, it can have a benefit even if it's just video games. I think modding, and not even making them, just installing and maintaining them, helped give me a lot of troubleshooting skills I use everyday. Why did Oblivion CTD? Why isn't this particular mod loading? How do I install this mod made by some Russian guy? How do I implement this script I got for Operation Flashpoint?

Having to install random crap with limited to no documentation and then troubleshooting what arises from it is pretty great experience, that's what I do basically everyday. Especially when there's like 5 different places it could want the install to happen and you might have to check them all, or Google it, or open the .cfg and try to find out there, or making junction links to make it work because this is from Windows XP time etc.

I think it's also down to curiosity and being afraid to break something. People are loving terrified of breaking it, so they become human scripts and rotely memorize the sequence of presses and freak out when anything is out of place or different. Whereas we have no problem digging around in menus or cfg files.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They're 16. They have enough on their plate. If they find something interesting, cool, if they don't, don't fault them for it.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

skooma512 posted:

I think it's also down to curiosity and being afraid to break something. People are loving terrified of breaking it, so they become human scripts and rotely memorize the sequence of presses and freak out when anything is out of place or different. Whereas we have no problem digging around in menus or cfg files.

My most valuable contacts in the org are people with basic critical thinking and problem solving skills. I've become pretty good at guiding people through things spatially, but being able to explain to someone the gist of what I'm trying to accomplish and asking them to evaluate something within a certain set of parameters really goes a long way.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Internet Explorer posted:

They're 16. They have enough on their plate. If they find something interesting, cool, if they don't, don't fault them for it.

this

but also modding is a great intro to technology work and coding! I made a bunch of dirt simple fallout 4 mods that amounted to some fancy hex editing back when it came out* and I've made probably around 2 grand from donations + Nexus Mod Author payouts.

Probably less of a thing these days with DRM, and locked down consoles, but I first got into tech in my early teens due to Fire Emblem Romhacking. Figuring out how to hex edit, apply assembly code, learning memory pointers, and ultimately building my own lovely romhacks and even running them on hacked consoles... there was lots of fun to be had, great for self motivation. Alongside the fallout stuff, it was a great interview anecdote when I could point to "hey I've released mods with hundreds of thousands of downloads**, please hire me."

*fun fact - I was the first person to make an .esp plugin mod for fallout 4! This was before any of the official or unofficial mod tools came out, I had to use a lovely non-standard janky early Skyrim modding tool along with some hex editing of headers and lots of troubleshooting to get it to work. But even now it's a story I take some pride in.

**extremely simple cheat mods that people very much wanted

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

I've got a coworker who has been training me on Linux stuff, he's been in IT for probably 20+ years at this point, I apparently introduced him to the term "scream test" thanks to you guys.

I'm going to be sad when I do leave this place, I like the people I work with a lot, but bad upper management can ruin everything, and most creditors don't take payment in good work relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I know it’s easy to come across all :smuggo: and risk looking like the worst Reddit BOFH but genuinely all the CYA stuff is just because I am too busy to do other people’s jobs for them, and I wouldn’t do anybody else’s job without negotiating the salary first. If you tell me that finance requests go to x mailbox then that’s where I will send them, if nobody in that team picks the requests up then it’s not my problem and my paper trail says I did everything I needed to.

I’ve done the bit in my career where I would keep an eye on helpdesk tickets to make sure people weren’t loving up, and all it did was piss me off and put me in a poo poo mood. Now I make sure everything is documented and handed over formally and if someone doesn’t read the documentation then that can be on them.