Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

typhy posted:

https://unite.pokemon.com/en-us/news/pokemon-unite-game-update/

some balance changes just announced, pretty expected mostly but everything is really loving vague like everything on a nintendo console, like

lol

Cinderace nerfed, Charizard/Venusaur buffed. Good, gently caress you, rabbit.

The fact that this is getting actual patches for buffs/nerfs is very cool, makes me think they're taking this game seriously and it'll have a lot of new stuff being added for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spent some time playing with friends today. My immediate impression is that garchomp and gardevoir are hot garbage. Cinderace and Gengar seem too good.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Good thing the both of them are eating a nerf this week.

I make a killing with Garchomp. Very good at initiating and picking off cowards. Its ult is a pain to aim though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
and they nerfed Eldegloss?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Jerk McJerkface posted:

and they nerfed Eldegloss?

Cotton Guard was too good in the big teamfights at high tiers where both sides have at least some players on outside voice coms. That's why Cotton Spore got buffed, but the big teamfight moves got nerfed on Eldegloss.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man Veteran rank games are somehow even worse than Elite. Seems like all the things I was finally starting to see (competing for enemy creeps, not fighting under the enemy bubble) are now just back out the window. Had a Snorlax that died three times in the first three minutes, and the enemies just totally scaled out of control from him. After the game I took a break so I wouldnt get him on my team again, but he apparently took a break of the exact same amount of time because I got him again and he did the exact same thing. Next game my Ralts just went AFK for three minutes, came back and started jungling

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Man Veteran rank games are somehow even worse than Elite. Seems like all the things I was finally starting to see (competing for enemy creeps, not fighting under the enemy bubble) are now just back out the window. Had a Snorlax that died three times in the first three minutes, and the enemies just totally scaled out of control from him. After the game I took a break so I wouldnt get him on my team again, but he apparently took a break of the exact same amount of time because I got him again and he did the exact same thing. Next game my Ralts just went AFK for three minutes, came back and started jungling

I had a lot of this today when trying to rank up to Veteran. Got there in the end but just some of the worst teammates I've had so far

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

are there any clear winners for held items?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

From what I have heard some are really misleading. Like the rocky helmet can only proc once per fight! We need some solid numbers to confirm a lot of this stuff.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Zapdos is such a bad mechanic. it is making me insane

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Zapdos is such a bad mechanic. it is making me insane

He should appear early enough to get two kills on him and be toned down a bit.

Also I'd really like to know the cooldown on Unite moves so I can plan out usage.

I've learned that essentially this game is just a Gacha game where you pull a handle and hope a win comes out since all the metrics are 100% obfuscated.

That said the 10 minutes is not too bad.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
2+ minutes of AFK at the beginning is absurdly long without a “Character is now AI” message.

We still won because their team didn’t jungle. It’s almost like leveling up is cheating, more so than HotS. It doesn’t seem like there’s a rubber band effect like HotS has for PKs giving more XP if you’re down.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I keep getting games where my team is taking up weird strategies such as: two junglers, four going top, three going top one jungle one bot (this happens all the time).

All of these strategies result in horrific, embarrassing losses. I’m sure there may be some way to make these work, but certainly not with the team comps we had going on. The dual jungle could potentially work if they’re able to control the enemy jungle as well, but these two were just running circles on our side waiting for respawns.

And with the time I was in a match with four going top, they didn’t even manage to get Rotom. Not sure if it got sniped or if they were just that bad or out leveled, but it felt real bad.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My headcanon when my team feeds in similar ways is they're simply really enthusiastic Pokemon fans who think the only way to play is "KO Pokemon". Your camps, the enemies camps, your jungler's camps, anything is fair game. Fighting and KOing is all that matter. Points don't exist in the main franchise, so scoring goals is out.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the thing I don't get about having now tried and watched garchomp:

He's weak early, he can only hit people in melee, and he's significantly less mobile than the likes of Zeraora or the like while also having no crowd control. He just gets kited after he uses dig since he doesn't have a slow on it at first. What does he... do?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Feed the enemy team, mostly.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Acerbatus posted:

He's weak early, he can only hit people in melee, and he's significantly less mobile than the likes of Zeraora or the like while also having no crowd control. He just gets kited after he uses dig since he doesn't have a slow on it at first. What does he... do?

he rules

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rules... the trash heap from the bottom!!! :owned:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

I have no idea but whenever I'm Eldegoss and have a Garchomp in the same lane we tear poo poo up and win, so whatever he does I'm glad of it

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

His attacks scale pretty well so once you get your initiation combo and can stay alive and build up your auto attack damage, you can do a lot of damage.

Of course you'll just end up one shot by zeroara or gengar or lucario or cinderace from offscreen but not everybody who plays those characters is a genius

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The burst is too drat high and as much as I love my boy Cinderace, I'm glad he's getting nerfed.

Lol at Zeraora players though. Basically every Zeraora player I've seen is like Yasuo in League in that they massively overestimate themselves and die a lot.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Someone has already tested stuff to get hard numbers and holy poo poo Eldegoss was nuked from orbit

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Just cotton guard, which was way too good as it was and tilted teamfights a ton for a button you can just mash on CD. Eldegoss' healing is still pretty crazy, you just can't keep your entire lane invincible anymore.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, from playing around a bit today it seems like the nerfs weren't quite as severe as they looked numerically. Cinderace is still pretty good, it just doesn't happen to melt people any more.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

he sucks until fully evolved, then he crushes people with dragon claw and earthquake. probably the weakest initial pokemon, he's the magikarp of the roster right now because once he's fully leveled, you get hosed up

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

homeless snail posted:

Just cotton guard, which was way too good as it was and tilted teamfights a ton for a button you can just mash on CD. Eldegoss' healing is still pretty crazy, you just can't keep your entire lane invincible anymore.

The fact that you have to give up your healing skill when you level up when you switch to Cotton Spore is such a weird mechanic.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Venusaur seems strong right now. They buffed his two best skills (Sludge/Solar) and Razor Leaf is incredibly good for stealing early creep kills from the enemy. Gengar's damage is still basically identical but the less invuln is good. Cinderace is still godly lategame but is harder to get there, I've shut down a few now and have seen more lose than win.

Also, I don't know if Garchomp is the weakest pkmn until evolved when Ralts exists. I don't know if Gardevoir is terrible or if it's just everyone who picks her is terrible but god drat if I see one of them on my team I am expecting them to relentlessly run it down the lane and die a million times.

I was on Reddit to look at the patch notes and I saw a bunch of advice from Masters-level players and the one thing that really stuck out to me was the guy who said to play top lane every single game. Apparently Dreadnaw is a TON of EXP and you really need to be contesting it (which admittedly I have not been). They said that you really need a person from top to rotate bot to help out with it, and that's the reason you play top, so you can be the person who goes bot and does Dreadnaw. They also said Lucario was busted which I had been suspecting

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The fact that you have to give up your healing skill when you level up when you switch to Cotton Spore is such a weird mechanic.
Pollen Puff is their main heal really, especially now that Cotton Guard is nerfed, but the shields are the most meaningful part of guard since the heal doesn't come out until the shield expires. Eldegoss is the pokemon that branches hardest though depending on what skills you pick, either big heals/shields or haste/slow buffer/debuffer (imo heal eldegoss is still way better even after the nerfs)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

homeless snail posted:

Pollen Puff is their main heal really, especially now that Cotton Guard is nerfed, but the shields are the most meaningful part of guard since the heal doesn't come out until the shield expires. Eldegoss is the pokemon that branches hardest though depending on what skills you pick, either big heals/shields or haste/slow buffer/debuffer (imo heal eldegoss is still way better even after the nerfs)

I find Pollen puff way harder to aim during a battle, so I prefer to use leaf tornado to since I land way more hits. With cotton guard and tornado I just sit back in the battle and heal/disrupt.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I've got fairly good at tossing the pollen right in front of my allies. Still seems to prefer grabbing the enemy though, even outside auto targeting

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

just had a game where their team was brutally underleveled in the late game with a level 8 guy and they still won because their Pikachu sniped the Zapdos out from under us. I don't know if I can play this game if this is how it goes

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

just had a game where their team was brutally underleveled in the late game with a level 8 guy and they still won because their Pikachu sniped the Zapdos out from under us. I don't know if I can play this game if this is how it goes

A simple Zapdos fix is to make it drop the point balls instead of giving everyone 40000 points on the killing team. Maybe give the guy that gets the last hit points, and then drop balls, this way you can still snipe it for some value. The way it is now, if you have 4 people killing zapdos, and the other team has four people just wandering around, when their fifth snipes it, suddenly the entire team has 10000 million points all over the map and it's impossible to deal with it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah had 1 or 2 games where I was steamrolling the other team, then suddenly other team got Zapdos and "we're REALLY struggling!" popped up and I was like.....the gently caress??? We lost by like 30 pts lol

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’ve had more than one game where my team took Zapdos but the other team wiped us entirely right after we took it so we couldn’t score in time. Fun games they were regardless.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Zapdos only gives 20 points each - the real threat is instant scoring in the last two minutes, since even at 20 pts each that's a minimum 200 for a full team dunking on you. Generally the huge swing comes from the fact that late game everyone has 30-50 points stored up already because of the difficulty to score.

Also, if your team was that ahead of the enemy team there was no need to do Zapdos, just contest it. You don't have to win harder especially when it carries the risk of a huge reversal.

But also yeah, Zapdos kind of sucks

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Zodack posted:

Also, if your team was that ahead of the enemy team there was no need to do Zapdos, just contest it. You don't have to win harder especially when it carries the risk of a huge reversal.

So yes this makes perfect sense and is all around the best choice. But in practice, there is no way to communicate "lets go here but don't actually do the objective" through their comms system, and if you're standing around near Zapdos, about 100% of the time your teammates will actually start fighting the Zapdos. This is not helped by the fact that if you're attacking any enemy or wild pokemon nearby, it's very easy to tag Zapdos by accident and trigger a giant "I'm fighting Zapdos!" banner across everyone's screen. Couple that with the ol' "it's usually better to do a dumb thing as 5 than do the right thing by yourself" MOBA wisdom, and the fact that even if you win a teamfight, you still can't settle down to do Zapdos in peace because there's no smite-analog to secure objective kills means that it feels like a clusterfuck every time.

Also seriously wish they would change the daily reset to like, noon or something. I'm sure 00.00 GMT makes sense to their engineers or whatever, but it means the reset is at 8pm and my lizard brain takes that to mean "get all your daily stuff done late at night and stay up too late playing" and then I never want to play during a reasonable hour because the rewards haven't come back.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Phenotype posted:

So yes this makes perfect sense and is all around the best choice.

Yeah, in retrospect I don't know why I posted that when ranked or randoms in Unite are like they are. I don't think people stop trying to solo faceroll Zapdos while ahead even into Veteran. I wish there were pings for "don't do this" or "enemy is missing", mostly because I've found myself spamming RETREAT at people who don't pick a lane and then try to take the one you pick, or because inevitably a top laner or two rotate for the early game Drednaw and I have to sit there thinking "well, sure hope the randos that are bot noticed"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

In my experience it's incredibly uncommon for people to respond to pings that are too general. Like, "I'm Heading Middle!" at the 2:00 mark, most people know what that means, but "I Need Backup" when Im hitting the enemy's creeps before they get to lane never works on getting my teammate to help me out if they aren't already on the same page. Spamming "Retreat" when my team are camping the middle goals as enemies endlessly jump pad out to eventually overwhelm them does not ever seem to work, either

I wish there was just general "Let's do Rotom/Dreadnaw!" pings though

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm digging Venusaur a lot more now, glad my big grass frog fucker got buffed. Might end up my new second option behind A9 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Little bunny rabbit still murdering people left and right after the nerf.

His 'displace' skill is insane since if you're good at timing it you can dodge anything.