Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
wait, investigation?

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1422596306351050762

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

techno-totalitarianism sounds scarier
digital leninism

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

wait, investigation?

this will be interesting with all the parallels to raven saunders doing a political gesture on the podium and being cleared by the US olympic committee for it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
28/32nm lithography was what was in use as recently as 2017 and only if you're talking about cutting edge computers, with most chips used in cars and appliances elsewhere still using much larger designs besides

There's no reason to believe that China couldn't have a competitive tech industry just because it's missed out on what TSMC or Samsung or Intel are playing around with now, or that they wouldn't be able to develop this themselves eventually

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I think their solution to hitler using the olympics was to “ban politics” from games. hence why the black power salute guys got in trouble in 68 or 70

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Kill All Cops posted:

love to virtue signalling racism on our forums by strawmanning terms like orientals and yellowmen

drat yellowmen sounds like some real xcom poo poo. Xi-Com

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

28/32nm lithography was what was in use as recently as 2017 and only if you're talking about cutting edge computers, with most chips used in cars and appliances elsewhere still using much larger designs besides

There's no reason to believe that China couldn't have a competitive tech industry just because it's missed out on what TSMC or Samsung or Intel are playing around with now, or that they wouldn't be able to develop this themselves eventually

No but you see china is a nation of Hitlers and are bad and only do bad things because they are genetically predisposed to being evil.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think their solution to hitler using the olympics was to “ban politics” from games. hence why the black power salute guys got in trouble in 68 or 70

if I was a Olympia athlete I would do the x-pac (suck it) gesture

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

*bans politics*

*allows taiwan to compete*

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Kill All Cops posted:

love to virtue signalling racism on our forums by strawmanning terms like orientals and yellowmen

is there a translation of this to plain english

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

digital leninism

cyber stalinism

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anyway, it is mostly puffery, it is pretty clear that the PRC is pushing forward with its own EVUL tech and they are aiming for a sub-8nm process. Ultimately, it (like almost everything) is about power and control and let's be honest the West has been slipping.

Usually, the Soviets were about 8-10 years behind the West in terms of microprocessors while China has clearly been closing the gap.

The Mao pin stuff is kind of funny, since it would only add to the legitimacy of the CPC at home if Chinese athletes were censored for just wearing a Mao pin.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Speaking of tsmc has been talking about gearing their lines up for a 3nm node and that should be started in 2023. Wild poo poo really

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Grapplejack posted:

Speaking of tsmc has been talking about gearing their lines up for a 3nm node and that should be started in 2023. Wild poo poo really

Remember when the immortal words of silicon used to be no one will ever catch up with Übermensch Intel

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

There is a fairly hard limit as far as current tech goes, at around sub-2-3nm there just isn't enough room physically for traces because at a certain point we are talking about moving atoms around.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the nm numbers aren't physical numbers directly comparable between nodes so good job trying to have an opinion

samsung and tsmc's 7nm processes are comparable with intel's 10nm

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is based on a range, but even so Intel's tech came after TMSC/Samsung. Also, the physical limit is real.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 06:34 on Aug 4, 2021

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

Because a totalitarian dictatorship that is squeezing every drop of authoritarianism out of technology such as the social credit system and other advance forms of monitoring of its citizens is the last thing the world needs for it to have even more advanced chips to potentially make the next world revolutionary technological leapfrog advance with such as with AI that would make its ability to assert control at home and abroad that much easier. Additionally more advance technology means a more advanced military that might be able to wrest control of the region away from the pax Americana that is responsible for the world's longest uninterrupted period of global growth, peace and prosperity. The day China can pose a credible military threat to the United States is potentially the day the world enters a new dark age as technoauthoritarianism becomes the dominant global paradigm.

L o loving l. Imagine being so dumb as to think "pax Americana" is a good thing and not exactly what they are projecting onto China.

My god that thread is beyond parody.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yup, that's a Mao pin.

Great investigatin' boys! Donuts are on me today.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

thatfatkid posted:

L o loving l. Imagine being so dumb as to think "pax Americana" is a good thing and not exactly what they are projecting onto China.

My god that thread is beyond parody.

It's really funny how all of this terror is over a purely speculative future tech that could presumably be the final brick in the wall of TECHNO-TOTALITARIANISM!!! Still not seeing how any of this doesn't boil down to nerd poo poo with only marginal applications.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's really funny how all of this terror is over a purely speculative future tech that could presumably be the final brick in the wall of TECHNO-TOTALITARIANISM!!! Still not seeing how any of this doesn't boil down to nerd poo poo with only marginal applications.

I mean it does gently caress over Huawei in the short to medium term. Not sure if you actually need the newest generation chips outside of phones, but they used to land a lot of IT backbone deals and the Americans were pretty mad about that.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's complete nonsense from top to bottom, imagining that there is a direct proportional relationship between processor speed and how evil a technology is, as though current surveillance and military tech is limited by transistor size, and that the only country who would do Bad Thing with a faster computer chip is China

The line about "world's longest uninterrupted period of global growth, peace and prosperity" is abhorrent and should be bannable imo, and i just cannot believe that not a single poster in that thread took issue with it

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Two pieces of good news:

1. China, India Agree to Pull Troops Near Site of Deadly Clash

After another round of talks yesterday. China and India have announced they have agreed to pullback their troops from Galwan Valley area. Additionally a demilitarized zone will be put into place to prevent face to face encounters.

2. Beijing and Asean’s long-awaited South China Sea code of conduct inches forward

Negotiations between China and the ASEAN nations on a code of conduct in the South China Sea resumed this year after COVID-19 stalled meetings. An agreement on part of the text has been reached, but since the draft is private we do not know what in particular has been agreed to.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

thalweg posted:

The line about "world's longest uninterrupted period of global growth, peace and prosperity" is abhorrent and should be bannable imo, and i just cannot believe that not a single poster in that thread took issue with it

yeah i said as much in another cspam thread but that's actual no-joke genocide denial that goes completely unremarked lmao

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
taping a big line down the middle of the china thread and calling mom if you cross it

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
victims of communism is a holocaust revisionist org... hosed up if you're not allowed to criticise zenz etc

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

yeah i said as much in another cspam thread but that's actual no-joke genocide denial that goes completely unremarked lmao

If we want to give "Pax Americana" as much agency and responsibility as they give Mao, we're already on multiple GLFs worth of people starved or malnourished to death.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

thalweg posted:

It's almost as if d&d is full of incredibly racist liberals that are more than willing to embrace fascism if China looks like becoming the global hegemon.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If we want to give "Pax Americana" as much agency and responsibility as they give Mao, we're already on multiple GLFs worth of people starved or malnourished to death.

9 million deaths from starvation per year globally under capitalism. just the cost of doing business, thank you america for giving us this unbroken prosperity (pay no attention to the imperialism behind the curtain)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Kill All Cops posted:

my favorite part is when a leaderless movement is used as a straw man for roleplaying leftists to make fun of while kangaroo courts sentence protesters longer than murderers and rapists

yeah i liked that too

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

thalweg posted:

if i unironically talked in highly ideological / propaganda phrases like that re: china i'd be posting about building a "community with a shared future for mankind" which i haven't really done that much

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

community with a shared future for mankind

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

authoritarianism:

techno-authoritarianism:

They both have good costume designers.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah and you can't use the free market capitalism market size/cost competition argument as soon as US start treating semiconductor business like a military technology. All China has to do is pass law to mandate chips sold inside China has to use certain percentage of China made semiconductor, which will effectively subsidize the domestic semi industry. China can force Apple use China made chips and China made radio in some of their iphones if they wants to. It's just the semiconductor war has no reach that stage yet. In other words, you should compare China's semi industry to China's global GPS system. And the Chinese industry being x year behind doesn't matter, cause it's not going to be a free market competition.

Right now Huawei can still use 5nm soc on their newest phones, which I assume means US still allow Huawei use some TSMC fab. I heard they switched from Sony camera sensors to domestic sensors already.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 11:16 on Aug 4, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

All China has to do is pass law to mandate chips sold inside China has to use certain percentage of China made semiconductor, which will effectively subsidize the domestic semi industry.

If I'm not mistaken China already has a program whereby all government computers need to be using parts manufactured domestically, as part of a broader economic policy.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Looks like good time to cross post this.

China quietly sets new 'buy Chinese' targets for state companies - U.S. sources

Big, if true.

Especially this part:

quote:

For example, magnetic resonance imaging equipment - a key export for U.S. companies in the past - would face a 100% local content requirements under the new guidelines, the former official said.

Since 10% of US medical device exports are to China

Edit: Also this part:

quote:

Sent to Chinese hospitals, companies and other state-owned buyers, the document sets local content requirements of 25% to 100% for 315 items. They include medical equipment, ground-based radar equipment, testing machinery, optical instruments; items used for animal husbandry; seismic instruments, and marine, geological and geophysical equipment, the former official said.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 12:30 on Aug 4, 2021

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Feels like that could feed into the whole "decoupling" from US economy narrative that comes up sometimes.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Isolate the demon-state.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's crazy to see people still talking about globalization in the dnd thread positively, while China is pursuing the First World development strategy of shoring up your shortages from the world market and then doing protectionism to prop up domestic industrial development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's crazy to see people still talking about globalization in the dnd thread positively, while China is pursuing the First World development strategy of shoring up your shortages from the world market and then doing protectionism to prop up domestic industrial development.

D&D has multiple times revealed itself to genuinely not understand what globalization is on a deeper level than 'I can buy Japanese candy from Japan, wowie!!!!!' poo poo so it's not that shocking to see them both talk up globalization as some panacea for all the world ills while also being outraged China is using it to profit like any other 'first world' nation.