Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

liquidypoo posted:

I didn't see anybody answer you so I'm just going to say, unfortunately, no.

It all depends on how you feel about the Marauders, really. An enemy that stops your gameplay flow and forces you to use a specific weapon and/or tactic. Both DLCs introduce things that require special attention like the Marauders do, so use that information while making your decision.

Also keep in mind that the difficulty is ramped up to romhack troll levels. Managed to get through nightmare without too much trouble in the base game, couldn't get past the second level in the DLC and stopped playing out of frustration. I'll go back and power through it at some point but it's basically designed to piss you off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Also keep in mind that the difficulty is ramped up to romhack troll levels. Managed to get through nightmare without too much trouble in the base game, couldn't get past the second level in the DLC and stopped playing out of frustration. I'll go back and power through it at some point but it's basically designed to piss you off.

Hmm based upon the string of curse words that came out of my mouth in the fight right before the Khan Makyr fight on ultra violence, maybe this isn’t for me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My solution to marauders was to simply BFG them the instant they were stunned so that I could go back to enjoying the parts of the game that were good instead of bad, except this meant I never got to use the BFG elsewhere so the weapon basically didn’t exist

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

Thundercracker posted:

Trying to Platinum Death Stranding is starting to get real annoying. Most of the delivery receipiants are pretty simple: give them stuff and get level ups with them. A few, and the game never tells you, need you to read their emails to remove gating to their levels.

This is really obnoxious because you can deliver a huge load to them, perfectly and timely, only to realize they wanted you to read their stdh.text email rants first before delivering your load and you get no likes at all. And many of these emails don't pop up unless you rest at a shelter, which takes at least a minute.

Just let me deliver load after load Kojima! I'll read your stoned ideas eventually, but don't force me.

Apologies for quoting something from way back on page 1503, but I'm still catching up on this thread and im just hoping the bolded part was used as a thread title at some point.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had bought the Deluxe version of Doom Eternal that came with the DLCs. I was so burned out on the main game and then reading about how the DLCs triple down on the worst parts that I haven't touched it since beating the last boss.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Christ, these nightmare bonus levels in Wolfenstein: The Old Blood are garbage (you play Wolf3D levels with modern controls). I'd rather play the original game than this puke-fest.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

I want to like Red Dead Online so much, but there's never anything to hunt. I just want to fool around aimlessly, hunting. There's hardly any animals compared to also story mode. Why are there no animals in online??? Is it just to make it artificially harder? I hate it.

Oh well, back to story mode I guess.

That's actually one of Red Dead Online's ongoing bugs that never seems to get fixed.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Did they ever add private lobbies to RDO?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

Also, they've only just now introduced fast travel and it's the clumsiest thing. First of all, the fast travel system was actually there the whole time, just arbitrarily locked because you couldn't go up ziplines. Second, it only takes you between the three non-combat hubs which largely makes it redundant with the 800 shortcuts (including all the new ones!) that take you through the overworld or the now-accessible underground. And three, even though you've been to all of these locations previously, it would ruin the flow of the game to let you freely travel between them immediately, so you have to manually traverse to each one again before it's unlocked as a fast travel destination. The Lordvessel it is not.

I'm a little surprised that you didn't call out that you get the 'go up ziplines' device from Jonah Guttenberg.

Jonah Guttenberg, who sent you to AID Command in the first place, in order to save his beloved granddaughter from medical experimentation. AID Command, an area you have to slowly and painfully wend your way through so that you can get the "go down ziplines" hook and cross a zipline to where the girl is being held. And it's not written like, "Oh, finally, let me see that janky thing so I can upgrade it real quick for you," he just gives the better one to you. He had it the whole time. Would have averted the whole second half of the game! No biggie Jonah!!!

A HUNGRY MOUTH has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Aug 3, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Thundercracker posted:

Just let me deliver load after load Kojima!

eddoghetto posted:

Apologies for quoting something from way back on page 1503, but I'm still catching up on this thread and im just hoping the bolded part was used as a thread title at some point.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I've gotten the bad endings on both Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light and I was really trying to get all the good karma I could. There were points where I had to reload the level 5 or 6 times because the bad guys kept spotting me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

grittyreboot posted:

I've gotten the bad endings on both Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light and I was really trying to get all the good karma I could. There were points where I had to reload the level 5 or 6 times because the bad guys kept spotting me.

Metro Last Light Redux retools it a bit afaik, but I've only gotten the good ending once and failed every other time. You really have to either stealth from the point you find the Dark One on or just haul rear end and tank a lot of hits and if you can't stealth, try and knock out and run (good luck with that on ranger hardcore). If you don't spare the two antagonists you're guaranteed the bad ending as well iirc. Metro 2033 you basically have to not gently caress up Frontline, do the radio call thing, and play a lot of instruments.

Both if you start shooting in more than one area you've probably hosed it. They're hard to get

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I'm a little surprised that you didn't call out that you get the 'go up ziplines' device from Jonah Guttenberg.

Jonah Guttenberg, who sent you to AID Command in the first place, in order to save his beloved granddaughter from medical experimentation. AID Command, an area you have to slowly and painfully wend your way through so that you can get the "go down ziplines" hook and cross a zipline to where the girl is being held. And it's not written like, "Oh, finally, let me see that janky thing so I can upgrade it real quick for you," he just gives the better one to you. He had it the whole time. Would have averted the whole second half of the game! No biggie Jonah!!!

Ah christ, I didn't even think of that either.

I'm still hung up on how Benjamin Burke is in the first game for like five minutes on a loud speaker before vanishing into the ether only to finally show up in person in 2...and then does gently caress all. Same with the first game conspicuously going out of its way to obscure what Guttenberg looks like and then he's just...hangin' around in 2 like it's no biggie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Metro Last Light Redux retools it a bit afaik, but I've only gotten the good ending once and failed every other time. You really have to either stealth from the point you find the Dark One on or just haul rear end and tank a lot of hits and if you can't stealth, try and knock out and run (good luck with that on ranger hardcore). If you don't spare the two antagonists you're guaranteed the bad ending as well iirc. Metro 2033 you basically have to not gently caress up Frontline, do the radio call thing, and play a lot of instruments.

Both if you start shooting in more than one area you've probably hosed it. They're hard to get

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the morality stuff in the Metro series. Mostly because it doesn't really change anything other than the ending* and then the next game just chooses a canonical one so it is kind of pointless.

*Exodus is a little different since it can influence how areas end but it doesn't actually change that much of the story.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A thing that drags down a lot of current games for me (off the top of my head, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mass Effect 1, Control, The Witcher 3, a lot of Ubisoft games) is this obsession with what I think of as "Upgrade Mush", just a kind of constant slurry of minor numerical upgrades ("Pee 3% further!") that I have to loving micromanage. I hate that poo poo, because it's never some impactful percentage.

It doesn't ruin games, but I definitely get peevish when I have to deal with it. Its boring. Either make it automatic, or make it impactful. I'm not going to care about increasing my piss distance by 3%, or going from 3% to 5%, or a 1% chance to make my enemies piss themselves.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Numbers going up is good, sorry haters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the morality stuff in the Metro series. Mostly because it doesn't really change anything other than the ending* and then the next game just chooses a canonical one so it is kind of pointless.

*Exodus is a little different since it can influence how areas end but it doesn't actually change that much of the story.

Yeah, it was really cool to have in the first one, when it wasn't obvious that was what's happening, but it's a trick that only works once, though all the endings in the series are pretty good

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I don’t know if I’m intended to have over 30 of each material in Prey but since the game capped my ability to make Neuromods I’ve only really needed to make shotgun shells and those are very cheap to make.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

moosecow333 posted:

I don’t know if I’m intended to have over 30 of each material in Prey but since the game capped my ability to make Neuromods I’ve only really needed to make shotgun shells and those are very cheap to make.

You can remove that cap with a side quest.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

moosecow333 posted:

There are ways around that cap! You can cash in a neuromod mountain later.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Call of Duty Black ops series:

The first game's plot twist was a Big Thing in call of duty titles at the time. Even if it was fairly obvious something was going on, it was well received (if made fun of a lot as well). But since then they've been trying way too hard to reach that level of plot twist and it's getting ridiculous.

I don't remember much of BO2, BO3 had the whole "actually you were living some guy's memories the whole time" (which isn't even well communicated to the player), and BOCW has "surprise you're actually one of the bad guys the whole time!" And it's just... Not good. Instead of making a passable campaign with a satisfying conclusion, they're going for the surprise gotcha angle. Although the bad guy ending in CW is pretty good, even if the mission it gives you isn't.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think I'm the only person in history who ganked themselves in Prey, which I've heard is impossible. Whatever it was I did wrong, my build hit a hard loving wall about half way in and I was getting wrecked no matter where I went or tried to do. Still a really loving great game though, worthy of all the praise it gets. I just reached a point where it seemed impossible to unfuck myself and decided I'd had enough.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

JackSplater posted:

Call of Duty Black ops series:

The first game's plot twist was a Big Thing in call of duty titles at the time. Even if it was fairly obvious something was going on, it was well received (if made fun of a lot as well). But since then they've been trying way too hard to reach that level of plot twist and it's getting ridiculous.

I don't remember much of BO2, BO3 had the whole "actually you were living some guy's memories the whole time" (which isn't even well communicated to the player), and BOCW has "surprise you're actually one of the bad guys the whole time!" And it's just... Not good. Instead of making a passable campaign with a satisfying conclusion, they're going for the surprise gotcha angle. Although the bad guy ending in CW is pretty good, even if the mission it gives you isn't.

The option in Cold War to remain loyal to Communism, get revenge on the other named characters for what they did to you and destroy the West was so much better and thematically complete that it was pretty hilarious.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BiggerBoat posted:

I think I'm the only person in history who ganked themselves in Prey, which I've heard is impossible. Whatever it was I did wrong, my build hit a hard loving wall about half way in and I was getting wrecked no matter where I went or tried to do. Still a really loving great game though, worthy of all the praise it gets. I just reached a point where it seemed impossible to unfuck myself and decided I'd had enough.

Thing is, it's nearly impossible to do this - I got the trophy for going through the game with absolutely no powers, so it stands to reason that going through with literally any powers should be possible. Oh, it's hard, yes, especially if you're trying to find all the content in the game while doing so,, but there's always a way out. All you really need is, at least, a shotgun.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

BiggerBoat posted:

If you ever feel like giving it another shot, know that Psychoshock mostly trivializes the game in terms of combat. Does a bunch of damage up front and stops typhons from using any of their abilities for long enough that you can run up and shotgun them to death without fear of retaliation. Before you get it you have to be at least somewhat careful engaging enemies, after you get it and max it out you can just go berserker through the whole station. Even the Nightmare isn't much of a threat since its AI bugs out even more when it can't use its abilities.

On that note, the Nightmare is dumb and slightly drags the game down. It should be something threatening that slowly stalks you through the station so you have to keep ahead of it, instead it will just appear at seemingly random intervals and probably get stuck somewhere because it's too big to fit through most doors. It's a decent idea to have a Nemesis sort of Typhon that punishes you for installing too many alien neuromods but the actual implementation is extremely shoddy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Morpheus posted:

Thing is, it's nearly impossible to do this - I got the trophy for going through the game with absolutely no powers, so it stands to reason that going through with literally any powers should be possible. Oh, it's hard, yes, especially if you're trying to find all the content in the game while doing so,, but there's always a way out. All you really need is, at least, a shotgun.

That's what I mean but I somehow seemed to manage it. I was always light on shells and materials to make them. I don't know what I did but it was the opposite of a speed run. Maybe I just got impatient or wasn't thinking things through looking for all the new ways the game gave you to accomplish things. Still a hell of a great game though and I don't regret playing it at all.

I totally get why it would be an All Timer for people.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Welp, scratch off The Surge 2. What an utter anti-climax.

They clearly ran out of budget, because the two pre-final bosses are a just elite versions of previously seen enemies. The map design also goes down the toilet for good, with it basically being a straight march from where I left off all the way to the final boss, unless you dither around grabbing the remaining side stuff. If I hadn't done that I probably could've knocked out the rest of the game in about an hour.

For some dumb reason the only way to get the final tier of crafting materials is from a single enemy type, of which there are about 5-6 total of basically on the final boss' doorstep. I legitimately wonder if their gimmick of splitting into two came after they realized how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to farm them and not before. I still had to do way too much farming. This is also for the benefit of NG only, because once you start NG+ everything jumps ahead to a new tier of stuff.

The final boss isn't a total pushover, but all of his most dangerous stuff is well telegraphed and otherwise he just has some nasty combos. He throws out lots of nano damage but preceding the fight you get a nano defense++ implant so that's that taken care of. Really it's less that he's a bad final boss and more that out of the full slate he's like one of three actually challenging but also fair fights, so it sucks you have to literally go through the entire rest of the game to get a good and proper souls-y fight.

Plot-wise it totally whiffs with the worst cliche of all time: Do you...cut the final boss's head off or let him live? Well if you kill him the little girl goes "cool, you like power, you can be the dark paladin of the nanites" and you get* a :twisted: dark angle armor set. If you choose to spare him she goes "I always knew you were a goody good human with emotions and feelings and everything" and the boss goes "oh man maybe humanity isn't so bad after all!" and then...she basically gives* you a replica of the final boss's mutated white angel armor. And then either way a pat ending cutscene plays, leaving things off on a philosophical question unrelated to anything else in an ambiguous way that could conceivably lead into a sequel or maybe not and congrats literally nothing else your character did amounted to anything. There was no build-up to any of this nonsense. Edit: Oh right, I forgot to mention this all takes place in a plane of pure thought or some bullshit because the final boss ascended to godhood five seconds before you could reach him.

*The final pointless annoyance: You don't get the armor, you get the schematics for the armor. Which isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things but really made me feel like a chump when I loaded into NG+ wanting to at least get a screenshot of it. And I know Dark Souls did it too, but I'm never not put out by needing to start an entirely new game to make use of cool final boss gear.

Also inexplicably an entire playable opening sequence played upon starting NG+ that didn't on the first go around. This doesn't seem to be a case where they wanted to reveal the real events after the fact (sort of like how they do it in Bioshock) I think they just hosed up and it's bugged to not activate on NG. All it does is elaborate on why your character is so intertwined with this little girl and...it's basically by complete chance. Though I guess it's cute that her dropped toy is a snake, echoing the late-game giant nano snake thing. ...Which also didn't go anywhere or have any payoff anyway. :argh: There's a very minor, minimally explored idea in the final area where you can knock out nano-suppression devices (akin to the same ones you used against the big monster boss earlier in the game) which makes the big monster snake gently caress up some stuff but you do it all of twice to little impact and I think they might even be completely optional.

Oh and speaking of bugs, one last little setpiece, a series of ambushes from dudes mad that I killed their commander, bugged out because they forgot a certain late game area has two different entrances. There's even completely plausible reasons to be using the alternate entrance - it's the one leading directly out from the last non-combat hub, where you need to stop by and cash in some last minute side quest business. I didn't lose out on anything really significant, but that's just sloppy.

Edit: Also a final verdict I guess: Half the time it's markedly better than the first game, half the time it's markedly worse. I'd say it pulls a smidge higher than equal with the first game, but I dunno if it's by all that much. In terms of replay value, I'm far more likely to want to try a new build in 2 than bother with 1's clunkiness, so there's that.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Aug 4, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm legit curious how this was possible, because unless you stretch yourself super thin, like trying to take literally every skill, most active use skills once you hit then 3rd, or in some cases 2nd levels, are massive game changers. Even playing on hard, once you get leverage or hacking it opens up tons of options.

I mean, if you really dropped the ball on exploration you can be short on everything. Just hopping around everywhere you can in the first 20 minutes using the gloo-gun for platforms can get you access to a ton of materials and equipment before you even see combat.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

That's what I mean but I somehow seemed to manage it. I was always light on shells and materials to make them. I don't know what I did but it was the opposite of a speed run. Maybe I just got impatient or wasn't thinking things through looking for all the new ways the game gave you to accomplish things. Still a hell of a great game though and I don't regret playing it at all.

I totally get why it would be an All Timer for people.

One thing the game doesn't tell you, or doesn't stress enough, is that disable abilities (like gloo or shock) massively amp the damage you do. I first thought they just made it easier to hit enemies , and didn't really bother with them, because I never had trouble hitting enemies, and it was a loving slog. Then I started zapping before shooting and it was much easier.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

One thing the game doesn't tell you, or doesn't stress enough, is that disable abilities (like gloo or shock) massively amp the damage you do. I first thought they just made it easier to hit enemies , and didn't really bother with them, because I never had trouble hitting enemies, and it was a loving slog. Then I started zapping before shooting and it was much easier.

Oh my gently caress what? That explains so much. I ended up dropping the game because every single enemy took loving forever to kill. People in the thread kept saying that the shotgun is supposed to be hot poo poo, but even with the shotgun upgraded as much as I could I needed a full magazine of shells for even just regular enemies. It got to the point where most of my time in game was spent running back and forth to craft new ammo.

Time for another attempt, I guess.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How does the adaptive difficulty in Resident Evil 2 actually work?

Speed-running with the infinite ammo pistol, it seemed like towards the end of the game the enemies were scaling to an absurd level.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The game does have a tutorial message where it tells you this, except it triggered for me at a completely nonsensical point halfway through the game when I’m not sure I was even in combat, so it’s safe to say it’s bugged and most people were never shown the message before the point when they should have figured it out on their own

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

John Murdoch posted:

Also inexplicably an entire playable opening sequence played upon starting NG+ that didn't on the first go around. This doesn't seem to be a case where they wanted to reveal the real events after the fact (sort of like how they do it in Bioshock) I think they just hosed up and it's bugged to not activate on NG.

No that's intentional. Otherwise the flashbacks and stuff you get during the game would be pointless. Plus there's a trophy that explicitly mentions surviving the events of that scene in NG+.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The game does have a tutorial message where it tells you this, except it triggered for me at a completely nonsensical point halfway through the game when Im not sure I was even in combat, so its safe to say its bugged and most people were never shown the message before the point when they should have figured it out on their own

Bioshock was kind enough to teach you the exact same thing 5 minutes in.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Oh my gently caress what? That explains so much. I ended up dropping the game because every single enemy took loving forever to kill. People in the thread kept saying that the shotgun is supposed to be hot poo poo, but even with the shotgun upgraded as much as I could I needed a full magazine of shells for even just regular enemies. It got to the point where most of my time in game was spent running back and forth to craft new ammo.

I learnt about it in this very thread! Happy to pay it forward.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

rydiafan posted:

Bioshock was kindly enough to teach you the exact same thing 5 minutes in.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Who needs shotgun when there's recycler charges :shepface:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
What is the hard drive budget for Talos 1? Every work area in this station has burnt out hard drives everywhere. What are people even doing to cause this much damage?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
You wouldn't believe what a reployer can do to a hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Morpheus posted:

No that's intentional. Otherwise the flashbacks and stuff you get during the game would be pointless. Plus there's a trophy that explicitly mentions surviving the events of that scene in NG+.

I dunno if that really adds up, though. My #1 question throughout much of the early game is why I should care about the little girl so much, which would've been answered a smidge better by seeing the full intro. Having it be filled in way later makes it seem like it's a big revelation, except it's the most predicatable, boilerplate reason and even in NG you see an abbreviated version of the same scene as a pre-rendered cutscene anyway. Also I think? there was a bug where during the scene my character had glowing nano-god eyes the whole time which made the whole thing extra silly and weird.

On a different note, and likely my last one, I forgot to mention an embarrassing late game side quest. You follow a breadcrumb trail of audio logs from a dude who's been infected with nanites and is slowly converting into a nano-baddie. First of all you've got the usual silliness of why this dude is recording another audio log every ten feet in the first place. (I think he dates them and they're supposed to be daily audio diaries...but then it's even stranger to find a neat little trail of them.) But then the really embarrassing part is that apparently what it sounds like to turn into a nano-baddie is...Saturday morning cartoon werewolf.