Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
for as much as dave talks about people being behind the times with how television or wrestling works, this is one example of where he is behind the times

brands are busy being horny on social media, and it's not the 80s or 90s where there were millions of god fearing stay at home moms flipping channels trying to find something to be offended about to complain to The Station over. those people are all on facebook posting about hillary clinton eating babies. you can barely get advertisers to pull out of shows broadcasting literal white supremacist propaganda on primetime cable news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

That single spor during the Nick Gage match probably got Domino's enough value in 'engagement' or whatever to cover their entire ad buy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

for as much as dave talks about people being behind the times with how television or wrestling works, this is one example of where he is behind the times

brands are busy being horny on social media, and it's not the 80s or 90s where there were millions of god fearing stay at home moms flipping channels trying to find something to be offended about to complain to The Station over. those people are all on facebook posting about hillary clinton eating babies. you can barely get advertisers to pull out of shows broadcasting literal white supremacist propaganda on primetime cable news
This is also why I'm on the "Dave knew" conspiracy bandwagon. He's been complaining about blood and guts for ages in the context of "I don't like it" and "it can turn off parts of the audience" and even "I am concerned for the wrestlers' well-being" but to my knowledge he's never spoken about sponsors dropping the product until this week, less than 24 hours before that Domino's article dropped.

If he's talked about sponsors recently in the AEW Blood & Guts era and I've missed it, I will fully admit I am a Dirty Moron Dumbass.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if 'dave knew' means 'dave knows wwe's anti-competitive playbook', is that even a question?

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1420906205476704258
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1420932079697551367

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 30, 2021

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, Dave knowing that this a WWF move is not a conspiracy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I was saying conspiracy theory more in terms of "I have no insider knowledge or basis in fact, just supposition" but to clarify:

It has been in the WWE playbook going back to the 1980s, but he didn't talk about losing sponsors or enemies in the business calling sponors while expressing his 'concern' about any of the Lights Out matches, or Blood & Guts, or any of the other things in the past two years. He talked about how he's afraid this will happen on Wednesday night, and it happened on Thursday afternoon. This feels more like "I've been told that WWE is tacking more time onto Sami Zayn's contract to gently caress with him but I can't outright say that" than "WWE often tacks more time onto talents' contracts to gently caress them" if that makes sense?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jesus WEP posted:

also the gage/jericho review reminds me of my favourite genre of Dave rating, which is “This match was honesty hard to watch, with the head drops and high angle bumps, these kind of things are escalating and it’s going to end in someone getting their career ended or worse. ******1/2”

I preferred when he refused to rate Ibushi vs Naito at Dominion 2019 because it was TOO DANGEROUS

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like the idea that Dave is worried that AEW will do a CMLL and tease CM Punk appearing when instead it's like Truth Martini like this is CMLL double-crossing the fans with that Atlantis v Ultimo Guerrero Mask v Mask match.

Edit: poo poo, or doing a WWE and deliberately not debuting a guy because everyone knows who it is like... Jericho?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah, while I don't agree with Dave mostly about the Death Match and the fall out beyond the fact they should probably only do one a year on free TV he's very much right about how WWE would react. It's classic WWE playbook against JCP

100% they probably have contacted states with Wrestling commissions too and complained about AEW. I would bet also they have probably called arenas AEW has booked

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somebody mentioned it earlier, but the Garrett/Dave show from a day or so back where it's just Dave getting prompted to talk about 30+ year old super-cards for an hour and a half is a great listen.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I preferred when he refused to rate Ibushi vs Naito at Dominion 2019 because it was TOO DANGEROUS
lol that was a good one too. punk bitch mode meltzer

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody mentioned it earlier, but the Garrett/Dave show from a day or so back where it's just Dave getting prompted to talk about 30+ year old super-cards for an hour and a half is a great listen.

where/when was this? Don’t have it in my WOR feed :thunk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's the Fight Game podcast that Garrett does with John LaRocca. I don't usually listen to it but Garrett was on vacation and couldn't do a normal show, so just asked Dave to join him to shoot the poo poo and it worked out really well.

https://www.f4wonline.com/fight-game-podcast/fight-game-dave-meltzer-historical-wrestling-show-guessing-game-348231

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nice one, thanks

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Just listened to this and even though it was like a Muy Limite in format it was very good. Just loved Dave just randomly riffing on poo poo, especially the Ali stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God to be a fly on the wall while Bruno was losing his poo poo watching Ali/Inoki and thinking about what could have been :allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

lol that was a good one too. punk bitch mode meltzer

It was extremely funny when people on here got so angry about that match and declared it a WMOTYC.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

It was extremely funny when people on here got so angry about that match and declared it a WMOTYC.

i was real worried about silver boy kota

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
smh @ people doubting the immortality of God himself.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

El Generico posted:

Bryan and Vinny vs. Nitro and Russo - WCW Review with Video - Nov 15th 1999

THE VIDEO: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x831lwf

:aaaaa:

Oh my God I totally forgot the COUNTED OUT OF ANYWHERE and Veiny Victor episodes were back to back.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Jerusalem posted:

God to be a fly on the wall while Bruno was losing his poo poo watching Ali/Inoki and thinking about what could have been :allears:
You don't have to be. Bill put it on his YouTube a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVwRIgOGjpk

He also re-uploaded it a month ago for no apparent reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rM_uMDbhSU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh gently caress, when Dave said Apter recorded it all I assumed he meant he took notes, I had no idea he had the audio. Thanks Bix!

Edit: Bruno's increasing disdain is amazing. Man I miss hearing him talk, I should go back and relisten to his old interviews with Dave.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 31, 2021

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Dat recording is in exschellent condition, doggone it!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1421513116756561920

I know he's not doing this on purpose but he has to be doing this on purpose.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
someone put jawwny on suicide watch

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
also now that the fiend is dead can Alexa stop

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

El Generico posted:

Bryan and Vinny vs. Nitro and Russo - WCW Review with Video - Nov 15th 1999

thank you!

their review of the nash vs sid streetfight is eerily similar to seth vs fiend HITC

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also now that the fiend is dead can Alexa stop

What, now that they've passed the gimmick onto a more viable (read: lower-paid) performer? This is just like when they tried to pass YES! onto Big Show only this time it'll work because nobody cares

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
With the first of the month coming tomorrow, are either Fightful or Voices of Wrestling's patreons worth it?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CVagts posted:

With the first of the month coming tomorrow, are either Fightful or Voices of Wrestling's patreons worth it?

If you like the free VoW stuff you will love the patreon stuff.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CVagts posted:

Fightful's is neat. You get scoops and interesting tidbits about stuff. People on this board will post anything really interesting or newsbreaking, like for example, today's info about Wyatt's release, but there is stuff that doesn't get posted because it's not a huge scoop, it's just interesting. Some of the audio content is good too, SRS has a weekly Q&A where you can ask a question and he'll answer all the questions he gets. I wouldn't call it a sub you need to get for the scoops or the content, I personally have it because I think Fightful's been doing a really good job and I want to support them.

VoW is entirely reliant on how much you like Joe Lanza and Rich Kraetsch. If you like their Flagship podcast, you will love their patreon content. It's very rare that there's scoops, Joe had some info about New Japan over the Summer, but that's not a regular thing. It's mostly just reviews, deep dives, retrospectives and the like produced by Joe and Rich. Rich regularly does retrospectives on a particular theme, he's done Royal Rumble, WrestleMania Wrandomizer (going over random Mania matches and their history), Kings of the Tokyo Dome, Best of the Super Jrs., right now he's doing Slammiversary Synopsis. Joe does Thursday TV Reviews every week where he gives detailed breakdowns of the ratings and a review of Dynamite and, when it's running, MLW Fusion and he also has Joevember to Remember, which is him going through the entire catalog of ECW. They also do Instant Reactions after major shows, including every AEW PPV. If you want more Joe and Rich, slap down the 10 bucks and you will never look back.

The only thing is I think Rich is a little weaker by himself than with Joe.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 1, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Bryan just trying to see many times he can say "Ceman was released" on WOL

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It was an admirable effort.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm confused, I joined the F4W Live thing on YT and I didn't get any mention of their going live for the retro show. The vid doesn't appear when I look at their channel, either.

They record these at night, don't they? I joined up several hours ago today... I forget exactly when but it was like early evening EST.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 4, 2021

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
yo el generico i just found out abt your bryan and vinny nitro project and thank you so much i just wanted to say i greatly appreciate your work

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm confused, I joined the F4W Live thing on YT and I didn't get any mention of their going live for the retro show. The vid doesn't appear when I look at their channel, either.

They record these at night, don't they? I joined up several hours ago today... I forget exactly when but it was like early evening EST.

There's a premium tier for their Youtube Subscribers I believe that gives you access to the live feed?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

shiksa posted:

yo el generico i just found out abt your bryan and vinny nitro project and thank you so much i just wanted to say i greatly appreciate your work
Yeah, you've done awesome. I can't use paypal but if you set up a Patreon I'll throw some dollars at you

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Vinny's pronunciation of Tajiri is getting closer to Alvarez levels. "Thai...Jiri"

Not as good as Alvarez dubbing Matt Cordona as the "woo woo man"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bryan and Mike WOLs have become total unlistenable for me now as soon as Mike starts complaining. Holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bryan and Mike WOLs have become total unlistenable for me now as soon as Mike starts complaining. Holy gently caress
Sempervivie has always turned every thought into a fillerbuster. He's a different kind of scatter-brain than Dave is. Semp tends to just make his point the first time and spend the next couple minutes revising the first sentences like he's rewriting a paper for length.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 4, 2021