Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Do crowns ever go on sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lysandus posted:

Do crowns ever go on sale?

Yeah 3 times a year, historically. Next should be next month for Quakecon, the others are December for the holidays and April for the Anniversary.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

does scrying need to be maxed to get mythic items or can i stop at 7? cause leveling it is miserable.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ASenileAnimal posted:

does scrying need to be maxed to get mythic items or can i stop at 7? cause leveling it is miserable.
You can stop at 7. 10 is only necessary for the gold furnishings. Getting from 7 to 10 is actually not that hard, digging up the mythics and the random purple furnishings will get you there naturally.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Can I get an invite to the normal guild please? @tyler_fyad

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

tyler posted:

Can I get an invite to the normal guild please? @tyler_fyad

:twisted:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

And this month's login grand prize is...150000 Alliance Points! Maybe one of these days I will bother spending them.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MH Knights posted:

And this month's login grand prize is...150000 Alliance Points! Maybe one of these days I will bother spending them.

I've never even been into Cyrodil or done any PvP so I don't even know what this poo poo is for.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i just got the ring of the pale order and im glad it was worth the massive pain in the rear end it took to get it

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Trastion posted:

I've never even been into Cyrodil or done any PvP so I don't even know what this poo poo is for.

Do the easy starter quests in Cyrodil where you don't even have to PvP in order to open up the PvP skill lines. Once you finish the few quest, you'll be at rank 3 and can get a free, always on passive skill that gives you 30% mount speed everywhere.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

ASenileAnimal posted:

i just got the ring of the pale order and im glad it was worth the massive pain in the rear end it took to get it

I didn't know this was a thing. This looks rad for my warden.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Is this game good again? Last time I played I was told I was better off on another game.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Agoat posted:

Is this game good again? Last time I played I was told I was better off on another game.
What do you want out of it? When was "last time?" I don't PVP much but nearly all the big current complaints are about lag in PVP.
PvE is mostly fine with no major bugs. There are everpresent complaints that overland is too easy, and that dev attempts at balance don't do things the right way (too much nerfing) but things are balanced enough that everything is reasonably viable and functional. Like, maybe there's a 5% difference between the max achievable with on class vs another, but for the vast majority of people that's not meaningful.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What do you want out of it? When was "last time?" I don't PVP much but nearly all the big current complaints are about lag in PVP.
PvE is mostly fine with no major bugs. There are everpresent complaints that overland is too easy, and that dev attempts at balance don't do things the right way (too much nerfing) but things are balanced enough that everything is reasonably viable and functional. Like, maybe there's a 5% difference between the max achievable with on class vs another, but for the vast majority of people that's not meaningful.

I don't remember, some time before this most recent expansion. Honestly I'd be happy just harvesting crafting stuff and selling it and running around Tamriel with my girlfriend.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Agoat posted:

I don't remember, some time before this most recent expansion. Honestly I'd be happy just harvesting crafting stuff and selling it and running around Tamriel with my girlfriend.
Then you'll have fun. There's a lot of stuff to harvest and sell, a lot of motifs to wear and change your look, you can get into housing if you start making more gold than you know what to do with. It can turn into a grind if you let it, but it doesn't have to be. If you want to fast track your crafting to max level you can do that pretty quickly for relatively low gold cost for all except jewelry crafting. Jewelry crafting can be done too, but it requires a bit more effort and/or time and/or gold.
If you want to sell you probably want to find a guild, though. Selling in guild chat is very hit and miss.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The Locator posted:

Do the easy starter quests in Cyrodil where you don't even have to PvP in order to open up the PvP skill lines. Once you finish the few quest, you'll be at rank 3 and can get a free, always on passive skill that gives you 30% mount speed everywhere.

The free alliance points from daily login rewards are a great way to not have to even do that; you get credit for claiming those as if that character had earned them in PVP. I have two characters that have leveled up enough for the mount speed passive without ever setting foot in Cyrodil.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Agoat posted:

Play what you want fight the power.

IMO if you like elserscrolls and are a filthy casual you will have fun.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

The Locator posted:

Yeah I need to do this. I just keep forgetting. It was a pain doing the 30 dragons for the quest thing last week because you hav to run so far to each dragon. My character currently runs faster than my horse even with the horse skills maxed.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Trastion posted:

Once you hit Champion Rank 160 take all of those Alliance Points, go into Cyrodiil. Find the Quartermaster Merchant that sells Alliance Spell and Weapon potions and blow them all on those. You can flip those for some decent cash on other players.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The free alliance points from daily login rewards are a great way to not have to even do that; you get credit for claiming those as if that character had earned them in PVP. I have two characters that have leveled up enough for the mount speed passive without ever setting foot in Cyrodil.

I did not know that, and it strikes me as pretty funny that those points actually level me up as if I had been in Cyrodil, I thought they were just some kind of currency.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Then you'll have fun. There's a lot of stuff to harvest and sell, a lot of motifs to wear and change your look, you can get into housing if you start making more gold than you know what to do with. It can turn into a grind if you let it, but it doesn't have to be. If you want to fast track your crafting to max level you can do that pretty quickly for relatively low gold cost for all except jewelry crafting. Jewelry crafting can be done too, but it requires a bit more effort and/or time and/or gold.
If you want to sell you probably want to find a guild, though. Selling in guild chat is very hit and miss.

Thanks for all the info. I find it hilarious that real estate is a thing in this game.

Doctor Zero posted:

Well, that's me with MMOs. Sounds perfect, thank you!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Doctor Zero posted:

What is the filthy casual-est class if I just want to solo as much stuff in as braindead a manner as possible and I don't care about PVP?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

What is the filthy casual-est class if I just want to solo as much stuff in as braindead a manner as possible and I don't care about PVP?

I think Templar can be played with a single-bar setup and solo even some group dungeons. It used to be the strongest at that sort of thing but I'm not sure now.

If you search on youtube for best pve solo stuff you'll get differing opinions depending on which youtuber it is.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah either Templar or Sorc. DK is a tanky class and while some say it can be easy to play I can't get a good feel for it. I like nightblade because it has invis but it takes a more effort to be filthy, it's never as simple as Templar jab jab jab. Warden and Necro can be very strong but I find them cumbersome to play, especially necro.

Agoat posted:

Thanks for all the info. I find it hilarious that real estate is a thing in this game.
When I say housing I mean house decorating. Houses can run from cheap to very expensive, but they're all instanced, there's no flipping houses between players. There are so many furnishings though, and so much you can do with them. I've not done much of it, but watching some videos or visiting some houses it's incredible what transformative stuff is possible.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I play a stam warden. It’s pretty forgiving and flexible.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

StarkRavingMad posted:

I like your style :respek:

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

StarkRavingMad posted:

mag templar. pick the morph for jabs that heals you and spam them forever.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Thanks for the info folks. I played ESO like way back when it first came out and am thinking of coming back once I get tired of Skyrim VR which I’ve been living in for like a month. I see a lot of things online recommending Mag Sorc so I’ll probably give both that and Templar a shot and see how I feel about them.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I like nightblade because it has invis but it takes a more effort to be filthy, it's never as simple as Templar jab jab jab.

This is a good point.

In any kind of fight, nightblades definitely require more "doing stuff" but god drat throwing on a set of Darloc Brae and spamming invis through entire delves is lazy as gently caress and I love it.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Nightblade is definitely an advanced class to play and so is necromancer (dots juggling is fun but you really need to pay attention and bad ping is your enemy.

MagSorc is very chill and your pets still do some damage even if you mess up your rotation.
Templar is supposed to be a snooze fest but I haven't played one yet.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Error 404 posted:

In any kind of fight, nightblades definitely require more "doing stuff" but god drat throwing on a set of Darloc Brae and spamming invis through entire delves is lazy as gently caress and I love it.

The vampire skill line has a passive that activates constant invis after like 2 seconds of running, while also halving the stam cost of running.

Go team filthy casuals!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Error 404 posted:

This is a good point.

i made a dedicated khajit vampire thief character that did this and it was fun despite the fact he couldnt really fight for poo poo. it was nice pulling in 12-15k a day from stealing stuff too.

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 3, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Oh, another thing this game is good for is playing dress-up with your dollies. It's the best Elder Scrolls game for this since Daggerfall. Although I wish there were more options for casual clothes that aren't costumes.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
How is the game on PS4? In particular, are the controls any good? Any classes that are more ideal for a PS4 controller scheme?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Books On Tape posted:

How is the game on PS4? In particular, are the controls any good? Any classes that are more ideal for a PS4 controller scheme?

I mostly play pad on PC and the only thing that's annoying really is bar switching is on the d-pad. Ults and synergies are on a two button press thing but I don't think I've ever had one fail.

I can't say anything to the performance on PS4 but do note that PC/Xbox/PS4 all have separate servers and there's no addon support for console.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Books On Tape posted:

i first played this on ps4 and i liked the controls enough that i ended up using my dualshock while playing on pc. as mentioned before the bar swap is kind of annoying but other than that its great.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I haven't played in a long time, and I reactivated my account to find that I had a decent little chunk of crowns sitting there from years ago. Is there anything worth grabbing off the crown store for a new character that has ESO plus? I don't want to end up wasting them on stuff I'll get naturally through quests eventually or anything like that.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I haven't played in a long time, and I reactivated my account to find that I had a decent little chunk of crowns sitting there from years ago. Is there anything worth grabbing off the crown store for a new character that has ESO plus? I don't want to end up wasting them on stuff I'll get naturally through quests eventually or anything like that.
The only things that are a) game altering b) not DLC and c) not earnable in game are:
+the two inventory pets: Bristleneck War Boar and Mournhold Packrat
They each give an extra 5 inventory slots to all your characters. If you only play one or two characters, not very worthwhile. If you have all your character slots full with alts holding inventory, they're worthwhile
+Digital Imperial Edition Upgrade
Lets you make an imperial, plus gives white horse mount
+Banker and Merchant assistants: They're nice but 5000 crowns is steep. Banker is a nice convenience, more without ESO+. The Merchant can maybe earn you a few gold if you have full inventory and have to leave something behind. You'll make more gold trading the crowns for gold than you'll ever make from the merchant. Plus with the banker you can shove stuff in there. I guess if you're really bad about clearing your inventory and the psychological hit of "oh no I have to leave this 50-150 gold weapon because I don't have the merchant" outweighs the 3 million gold those 5000 crowns are currently worth it has a purpose. Or you just really like having a crow friend.
+Necro and Warden classes, if you don't have them and don't plan on buying a chapter at some point, these are worthwhile, but only in a "crowns are a sunk cost" sense. If you had no crowns you'd be better off buying a key for Elseweyr or Greymoor and getting the classes plus the expansions for less than the $15 equivalent.
+Character slots if you want more characters

Rest of the Crown store is:
various DLC: you have these on ESO+
Crown crates: gambling for trash and cosmetics
Upgrades: the stuff above, plus Collectors packs (themed cosmetics), bag and bank upgrades (buyable for gold in game) riding lessons (time gated earnable in game) Name/Race/Alliance/Appearance change (can't be done in game, but gently caress those prices, probably best either living with it or rolling a new character) Skill lines vamp/werewolf/skyshards (all earnable in game)
Utility: Trash scrolls/potions/etc all earnable/buyable in game much cheaper than those prices.
Houses: Staple/Classic are earnable in game, Notable some are earnable some are crown exclusive.
Furniture: All housing stuff, the storage chests can be earned/bought in game, everything else is cosmetic (some of the furnishings are also earnable in game, don't know if all).
Style parlor: cosmetics (hair, adornments, tattoos) for your appearance. None earnable in game.
Crafting: The cosmetic styles are crown exclusive, the motifs can be earned in game. Outfit slots are per character, outfit tokens are consumed, neither is worth the couple grand gold they save you unless you're changing styles really really often.
Wardrobe: Costumes and hats, not earnable in game.
Mounts and pets: just more mounts and pets, some are cute/pretty/cool, none have in game impact except the inventory pets noted above.

If you're considering personal cosmetics, costumes and hair/adornment/tattoos can be changed at no fee once you buy them. Styles, however, have small gold fee in game when you change them 100-1000 gold per piece, depending on the piece.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 7, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The only things that are a) game altering b) not DLC and c) not earnable in game are:
+the two inventory pets: Bristleneck War Boar and Mournhold Packrat
They each give an extra 5 inventory slots to all your characters. If you only play one or two characters, not very worthwhile. If you have all your character slots full with alts holding inventory, they're worthwhile
+Digital Imperial Edition Upgrade
Lets you make an imperial, plus gives white horse mount
+Banker and Merchant assistants: They're nice but 5000 crowns is steep. Banker is a nice convenience, more without ESO+. The Merchant can maybe earn you a few gold if you have full inventory and have to leave something behind. You'll make more gold trading the crowns for gold than you'll ever make from the merchant. Plus with the banker you can shove stuff in there. I guess if you're really bad about clearing your inventory and the psychological hit of "oh no I have to leave this 50-150 gold weapon because I don't have the merchant" outweighs the 3 million gold those 5000 crowns are currently worth it has a purpose. Or you just really like having a crow friend.
+Necro and Warden classes, if you don't have them and don't plan on buying a chapter at some point, these are worthwhile, but only in a "crowns are a sunk cost" sense. If you had no crowns you'd be better off buying a key for Elseweyr or Greymoor and getting the classes plus the expansions for less than the $15 equivalent.
+Character slots if you want more characters

Rest of the Crown store is:
various DLC: you have these on ESO+
Crown crates: gambling for trash and cosmetics
Upgrades: the stuff above, plus Collectors packs (themed cosmetics), bag and bank upgrades (buyable for gold in game) riding lessons (time gated earnable in game) Name/Race/Alliance/Appearance change (can't be done in game, but gently caress those prices, probably best either living with it or rolling a new character) Skill lines vamp/werewolf/skyshards (all earnable in game)
Utility: Trash scrolls/potions/etc all earnable/buyable in game much cheaper than those prices.
Houses: Staple/Classic are earnable in game, Notable some are earnable some are crown exclusive.
Furniture: All housing stuff, the storage chests can be earned/bought in game, everything else is cosmetic (some of the furnishings are also earnable in game, don't know if all).
Style parlor: cosmetics (hair, adornments, tattoos) for your appearance. None earnable in game.
Crafting: The cosmetic styles are crown exclusive, the motifs can be earned in game. Outfit slots are per character, outfit tokens are consumed, neither is worth the couple grand gold they save you unless you're changing styles really really often.
Wardrobe: Costumes and hats, not earnable in game.
Mounts and pets: just more mounts and pets, some are cute/pretty/cool, none have in game impact except the inventory pets noted above.

Thanks! Saved all that to a text file for future reference. None of that sounds particularly necessary to me at the moment, so I'll probably just sit on my crowns for now and see if later on I feel like five more inventory slots or a banker is something I need or if I feel a dumb itch to blow them on cosmetic junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Got this my first run through the dungeon. Apparently it's super rare?